Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Don Walker Violation Audio w/1250  (Read 15610 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Don Walker Violation Audio w/1250
« on: August 10, 2012, 12:35:56 PM »
Here's audio of Walker discussing that it appears to be a minor violation. Listen if you dare. Walker says immediately this is a minor infraction. After that, it turns into a circle-jerk.
Another key point is Walker saying MU didn't have to reveal this. 

http://www.sportsradio1250.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5978842

Total jagoff hosts trying to make this about a much, much bigger deal, go figure.   

And I'll say it for the millionth time....why the eff is this guy talking about the story and why does he opine about what a rough off season this has been for MU!!!??? Where's Enlund!!??? If this is the go-to now for Milwaukee, then get rid of his sports-business title and just make him the new beat reporter. 

Jackball 1 and 2 (Chuck and Wickett) are really stoking the fires. Just such a joke. I really, really hate this two effing amateur-hour hosts. Hell, between the JS and this it's amateur hour in Milwaukee.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Re: Don Walker Violation Audio w/1250
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »
And as another warning (that I KNEW better but didn't follow)...

If you go to the WSSP homepage, you can listen to the full segment they spent talking about this. Took no phone calls, but spent the next five-ten minutes post-Walker opining about how "every couple of weeks something comes out" about a kid being homesick, an alleged rape, etc.

Oh, and go figure, Wickett, the younger, less-informed host, is completely unaware of the kinds of players that MU had under Al. Just unreal. He's the same host that when questioning how MU never had JuCo players before, some caller called in and mentioned Marcus Jackson. "Never heard of him!!". Then, after looking him up and his stats, deemed him "irrelevent" (most likely because he shot down his argument). Oh, and Wickett also infers that you are a blindly-following fan if you go to Cracked Sidewalks and such. Solid!

Either way...if you like to get mad, go listen to that segment. I'm so ashamed of myself for doing do.

אני כל כך מתביישת.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:49:51 PM by Niv Berkowitz »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:55:25 PM »
Winners.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »
Winners.

Haha. Thanks for the pic, that' says a thousand words. They're trying to get ratings, and bashing MU probably does the trick. I'm a big brewer fan and they are frankly unlistenable, I honestly can't believe they are still on the air. Not sure who the main host is (chuck or wicket), but he's tolerable....when the sidekick talks my ears bleed. He's the worst radio personality I've ever listened to, sparky included.

JD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but two years ago when MU beat Syracuse in the NCAA tourney, did Chuck or Wickett try to talk to Buzz during the press conference and Buzz basically dismissed them as being douche bags?

Thanks.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »
Winners.

This is two GUYS?

Looks like a muff diver on the left, and 5 head on the right... you sure he didn't star in Alien?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »
Here's audio of Walker discussing that it appears to be a minor violation. Listen if you dare. Walker says immediately this is a minor infraction. After that, it turns into a circle-jerk.
Another key point is Walker saying MU didn't have to reveal this. 

If Don Walker is right that MU didn't have to reveal this why would Larry W be doing so? I mean, what's the point?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »
Haha. Thanks for the pic, that' says a thousand words. They're trying to get ratings, and bashing MU probably does the trick. I'm a big brewer fan and they are frankly unlistenable, I honestly can't believe they are still on the air. Not sure who the main host is (chuck or wicket), but he's tolerable....when the sidekick talks my ears bleed. He's the worst radio personality I've ever listened to, sparky included.

It's the Skip Bayless/Jim Rome school of journalism.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but two years ago when MU beat Syracuse in the NCAA tourney, did Chuck or Wickett try to talk to Buzz during the press conference and Buzz basically dismissed them as being douche bags?

Thanks.

Are you thinking of Rod Burks from TMJ4?

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=25787.0

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 01:36:42 PM »
The Rockford dude got this f'ed up. That's BeeJay, aka Lady's Man, on the right, and our village idiot, bottled water delivery cat, F*ckin', on the left.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »
Wickett is trying to dress like Abbatacola.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
Then again, maybe it's the long anticipated pic together of Chicos, Hoop, and Rob?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »
And I'll say it for the millionth time....why the eff is this guy talking about the story

Because MU issued a press release.  Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »
Wasn't even Friday.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
I learned one thing from the audio clip:

Never do business with Great Midwest Bank.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »
Where is the Marquette release?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 01:56:02 PM »
If Don Walker is right that MU didn't have to reveal this why would Larry W be doing so? I mean, what's the point?

Good question.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
Where is the Marquette release?

Don't know.  But Walker's blog post refers to a "statement released by the University."

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »

Perhaps he did it knowing that in case it did come out, it wouldn't be a smoking gun of MU trying to hide a story.

And as for them ripping MU, remember...1250's in-town competition is the home of MU hoops, the also-unlistenable-to Homer and AM540.

JD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 02:18:26 PM »
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
Perhaps he did it knowing that in case it did come out, it wouldn't be a smoking gun of MU trying to hide a story.

If so, it didn't work real well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 02:55:36 PM »

No way. LW wanted this in the paper and made sure he got it there. This is the second time LW has used Don Walker to publicly criticize Buzz, and Walker even added some new stuff in the radio interview (Buzz rough around the edges, needs guidance running a program - per LW).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »
Yeah...makes you wonder huh?  LW is not a dumb man.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 03:09:46 PM »
Just when the Hiroshima clouds have passed without rain - cue the LW out to makes Buzz's life miserable campaign....

by the way - while Buzz is winning and getting great recruits - he is rough around the edges and likely could use some guidance running a program as he has only run a program for 5 years in his career

No way. LW wanted this in the paper and made sure he got it there. This is the second time LW has used Don Walker to publicly criticize Buzz, and Walker even added some new stuff in the radio interview (Buzz rough around the edges, needs guidance running a program - per LW).

JD

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 03:16:48 PM »
Digger must be helping LW then....

AL

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 03:24:24 PM »
Just when the Hiroshima clouds have passed without rain - cue the LW out to makes Buzz's life miserable campaign....

by the way - while Buzz is winning and getting great recruits - he is rough around the edges and likely could use some guidance running a program as he has only run a program for 5 years in his career

OK, what's your explanation of why LW went to Don Walker with the story of a recruiting violation (said to be minor but not referred to as such by LW) when it could have been kept private? Oh, and by the way, the same Don Walker he went to with criticism of Buzz 3 months ago and the same Don Walker who showed up on a radio show with some "new" LW negative insights on Buzz from the old interview. I not big on conspiracy theories, but I don't write off patterns of behavior to mere coincidence either.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »
Look, it's abundantly clear to all those who look, that MU is paranoid Buzz is gonna strap the university with sanctions if he remains unbridled.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 03:27:32 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7FYTc55nGEI&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7FYTc55nGEI&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds</a>

Lenny and Ners, here to put extra ketchup, pickles, and special sauce on one huge NOTHINGBURGER.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7FYTc55nGEI&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7FYTc55nGEI&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds</a>

Lenny and Ners, here to put extra ketchup, pickles, and special sauce on one huge NOTHINGBURGER.

Don't forget Sultan

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »

Then either Larry neglected to say it was minor, or Walker omitted it.

To me, this stinks of a "teaching moment" from LW. But my tinfoil might need to be changed.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
It appears MU announced the violation in a press release shortly after reporting it to the NCAA.  I assume the MJS assigned Don Walker to contact MU regarding the press release.

or it's sinister plot by LW to release as much bad publicity on MU basketball to make Buzz look bad...

take your pick...

OK, what's your explanation of why LW went to Don Walker with the story of a recruiting violation (said to be minor but not referred to as such by LW) when it could have been kept private? Oh, and by the way, the same Don Walker he went to with criticism of Buzz 3 months ago and the same Don Walker who showed up on a radio show with some "new" LW negative insights on Buzz from the old interview. I not big on conspiracy theories, but I don't write off patterns of behavior to mere coincidence either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
I truly don't know what exactly is going on.  I think it is very odd though that Don Walker somehow gets to report bad news regarding Marquette basketball.  The first one was understandable because of the nature of the issue.  But this one?  

But then, why release it at all?  Secondary violations are minor and they most certainly are not publicly released by the NCAA.  Why say anything unless asked?

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
This whole thing has just friggin' rekindled the entire "LW is out to get Buzz!!" meme...and I don't like it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »
I truly don't know what exactly is going on.  I think it is very odd though that Don Walker somehow gets to report bad news regarding Marquette basketball.  The first one was understandable because of the nature of the issue.  But this one?  

But then, why release it at all?  Secondary violations are minor and they most certainly are not publicly released by the NCAA.  Why say anything unless asked?

The only good reason for MU to release it is because they believed that word of it would get out.  If they believed that, then they should release it so as to not give the appearance of covering anything up, and to be able to put their spin on it as the first word.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2012, 04:33:14 PM »
The only good reason for MU to release it is because they believed that word of it would get out.  If they believed that, then they should release it so as to not give the appearance of covering anything up, and to be able to put their spin on it as the first word.

No, that is not what they should have done....especially the way they did it.  They should have just commented on it when word got out because any reputable news source would have called them for comment.  What they ended up doing is making it news. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2012, 04:42:29 PM »

No, that is not what they should have done....especially the way they did it.  They should have just commented on it when word got out because any reputable news source would have called them for comment.  What they ended up doing is making it news. 

I heard that the NCAA was "snooping around the program" over 2 weeks ago. Heard there may have been a recruiting violation made by a coach who has since departed to a recruit who is now on the roster. The news was out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »

This is the real question. Wanna know why... because walker has a source within the university. Not sure who it is, but they are p$ssing me off.  He contacted MU before anyone was made aware of it.  Then the University was forced to respond.  He may be a knob, but he has his sources.

I know for a fact that they didn't release it in a press release.  Walker came calling demanding answers.  
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:01:25 PM by shaquilvaine »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Time to snag the mole!
SS Marquette

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 05:39:07 PM »
I heard that the NCAA was "snooping around the program" over 2 weeks ago. Heard there may have been a recruiting violation made by a coach who has since departed to a recruit who is now on the roster. The news was out.

Is that why the coach departed?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
Time to snag the mole!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mvxe04wGmTw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Mvxe04wGmTw</a>
Relax. Respect the Process.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 06:03:58 PM »
Is that why the coach departed?

I did not hear that they were related.  But I did not hear that they weren't related.  So to be completely honest my guess is no, but it is possible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »
no.

Boring.  Does it involve sexy tweets to recruits a la The Tanned One?

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2012, 06:15:53 PM »
Boring.  Does it involve sexy tweets to recruits a la The Tanned One?

Haha, no. Didn't know if previous posts inferred that Benford or Aki were gone because of said violation.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
Haha, no. Didn't know if previous posts inferred that Benford or Aki were gone because of said violation.

I made a bit of a leap, but thought it was a question worth asking since that's the first place my mind went.  Thanks for clarifying.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »

So it's one of those two then...?

Here I was gonna say that Aki was looking to extend Cal's legacy at Memphis

A recruit who was on the roster a few weeks ago, or one that's still on the roster...?

strotty

• All American
    • Paint Touches
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »

A recruit who was on the roster a few weeks ago, or one that's still on the roster...?

I didn't say it was one of those two.  ??

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
LW to turn MU into SLU

(No Teal)

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 06:34:34 PM »
I didn't say it was one of those two.  ??

Nope, wadesworld did.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2012, 06:38:30 PM »
Nope, wadesworld did.

Right, I was hoping he would have replied if that was the case.  Strotty - sorry for not quoting him first and making it a bit clearer.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »

A recruit who is currently on the roster. As far as I know (and I don't know much, I had just heard rumors which are apparently true - but it's one of those friend's dad's friend who has the inside scoop) it was nothing big but one of the two assistant coaches who left MU this offseason had a recruiting violation at MU while recruiting someone who ended up at MU and the NCAA was looking around.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »

OK, thanks for that.  That actually makes me feel better.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »
Nope, wadesworld did.

Those aren't the only coaches who left.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 09:25:08 PM »
If I were the AD, I would notify the JS of a violation.  Then I'd let the speculation run rampant for a few days, maybe a week, and let people make big names for themselves speculating about how terrible the violation was and citing their "unnamed" sources... eventually hoping that maybe a beer bottle assault rumor would get going. Then I'd let the NCAA report that the self-reported violation was for text messages, but since the rules were changed to allow text messaging, it doesn't constitute a violation.

Then I'd invite Buzz over for a beer, sit back and share a laugh watching everyone who made asses out of themselves fabricating stories about the MUBB program try to talk their way out of how their "sources" let them down.

That's probably why I'll never be an AD.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »
Those aren't the only coaches who left.

Well that's why I asked the question.  If it's not one of those two, the process of elimination kicks in a little more, right? ;D

Then I'd invite Buzz over for a beer, sit back and share a laugh watching everyone who made asses out of themselves fabricating stories about the MUBB program try to talk their way out of how their "sources" let them down.

I thought only Chico-loop had beer summits...

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:34 PM »
A recruit who is currently on the roster. As far as I know (and I don't know much, I had just heard rumors which are apparently true - but it's one of those friend's dad's friend who has the inside scoop) it was nothing big but one of the two assistant coaches who left MU this offseason had a recruiting violation at MU while recruiting someone who ended up at MU and the NCAA was looking around.

This is exactly what happened.  It involves a coach giving away an article of clothing.  It is about 1/100th as worse as the Shoe Box scandal IMHO

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »

I thought only Chico-loop had beer summits...

Meh... It's not really a summit when you're both in on it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 11:20:04 PM »
This is exactly what happened.  It involves a coach giving away an article of clothing.  It is about 1/100th as worse as the Shoe Box scandal IMHO

That is what I heard as well.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »
I think people are assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that LW went to Don Walker or anyone else with this. Call this educated speculation, but a possible chronology here is that someone in the media, perhaps even Walker, gets tipped off that the NCAA is sniffing around and/or MU has self-reported and calls the school for comment. At this point, LW has one of two options: lie and hope he can get away with it, or be honest and try to get out front of the story as much as possible. Looks like he (wisely) chose the latter.

Regardless, it's hardly unprecedented for a school to publicize that it's self-reporting possible secondary violations. A simple Google search will show you that schools that have done so in recent years include: Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Michigan, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Alabama, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Baylor and Syracuse, among others.
Again, these are all instances in which the schools publicized the potential violations on their own.
So if you think LW is doing something untoward or unusual here, you've either got your head buried deep in the sand or are being willfully obtuse because it serves your chosen narrative.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2012, 12:24:50 AM »
I think people are assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that LW went to Don Walker or anyone else with this. Call this educated speculation, but a possible chronology here is that someone in the media, perhaps even Walker, gets tipped off that the NCAA is sniffing around and/or MU has self-reported and calls the school for comment. At this point, LW has one of two options: lie and hope he can get away with it, or be honest and try to get out front of the story as much as possible. Looks like he (wisely) chose the latter.

That could very well be. Then why wasn't this "minor" violation characterized that way in the JS piece? Either LW left that part out, or Walker hid it.

The way it was worded in the article was not a good example of getting ahead of the story, that's for sure.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »
That could very well be. Then why wasn't this "minor" violation characterized that way in the JS piece? Either LW left that part out, or Walker hid it.

The way it was worded in the article was not a good example of getting ahead of the story, that's for sure.

Perhaps it's not so minor. Perhaps the NCAA isn't a fan of schools making those determinations for them. Perhaps Walker left it out. Perhaps people are trying way too hard to find conspiracy where none exists.u

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »
Meh... It's not really a summit when you're both in on it.

In his mind, both were present.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:35:26 AM by real chili 83 »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2012, 07:29:39 AM »

Regardless, it's hardly unprecedented for a school to publicize that it's self-reporting possible secondary violations. A simple Google search will show you that schools that have done so in recent years include: Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Michigan, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Alabama, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Baylor and Syracuse, among others.
Again, these are all instances in which the schools publicized the potential violations on their own.
So if you think LW is doing something untoward or unusual here, you've either got your head buried deep in the sand or are being willfully obtuse because it serves your chosen narrative.
Why does it take until page three for someone to take a reasonable stance on this? 

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2012, 08:20:33 AM »
Why does it take until page three for someone to take a reasonable stance on this? 

Because when you have a pre-conceived, pre-packaged narrative of a grand conspiracy, it's easy to just shoehorn the details in and around that storyline.

There's always a little bit more blood to squeeze out of the turnip. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2012, 08:44:49 AM »
Pretty dumb.  The material isn't even that good (so says ZFB, who has an XS pair that chaffed him badly).  Probably worth all of $5.

I still would like to know who MU released a statement to?  General media distribution list?  

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback