collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: White Privilege at MU  (Read 80222 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: White Privilege at MU
« Reply #400 on: May 23, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »
Good for the Bucks. Excellent statement.

rocket, respectfully, this is how a person who cares about his fellow man should react.

Those cops were common thugs. Period.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #401 on: May 23, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »

God. Yet another one who thinks non compliance is a taserable offense.

Typical people lining up in favor of a police state.

I hope that's not what rocket (or any Scooper) thinks.

Look, I'm an old white guy who grew up very much afraid of the police. Most are good people, but some bad and some erratic people slip through the cracks Bad or erratic people with badges and guns scare the spit out of me so I never took any chances - totally compliant, yes sir, no sir even if the cop was a complete dick. So I agree that the "smart" choice is total compliance.  But you don't tase or shoot people because they don't chose the "smartest" behavior. Any cop who chooses unnecessary force in this type of situation is bad or erratic and should lose his badge. Period.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #402 on: May 23, 2018, 08:01:28 PM »
i am a pretty good guy :)  all i'm trying to do is provide a little balance-did the cops act over-zealously? perhaps.  could brown have done anything differently? perhaps.  in order to make the best analysis of the whole thing, maybe mr. brown could do a little more explaining of what he was doing.  you guys are attacking me because i'm not dry humpin all your legs in full agreement here.

i merely said that the audio does matter as it could give us more understanding as to why either party acted as they did.  i merely stated that if one were to listen to an authority's orders, a different outcome could have occurred. 
    that's it

so, for someone to make those 2 observations/suggestions, whatever and have their character questioned is one of the problems with this board.  any little stray from what appears to be the "status quo" ...

i can reasonably understand how many could come to the conclusion that the police over-reacted.  yes, i am very pro-cop and i respect the hell out of what they do, but i think it would be nice to hear a little more from mr. brown as well.  it just seems many here are quick to lean toward the victim. 

all in all, i think this goes about 60% cops heavy handed, 40% mr. brown could've cooperated a little more

on another note, i heard that sterling played later that evening and put up an electrifying performance :D

My only response to this is that it's the JOB of the police to not be over zealous. That is their whole reason for being. Mr. Brown, as a citizen, has no responsibility in this situation to de-escalate this situation. Police have an unfathomably hard job in this day and age. But that is part of putting on the uniform.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #403 on: May 23, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
Agreed.  Excellent statement by the Bucks.  Sterling also put one out that I generally agree with and I appreciate his calling for calm dialogue.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #404 on: May 23, 2018, 08:03:41 PM »
I hope that's not what rocket (or any Scooper) thinks.

Look, I'm an old white guy who grew up very much afraid of the police. Most are good people, but some bad and some erratic people slip through the cracks Bad or erratic people with badges and guns scare the spit out of me so I never took any chances - totally compliant, yes sir, no sir even if the cop was a complete dick. So I agree that the "smart" choice is total compliance.  But you don't tase or shoot people because they don't chose the "smartest" behavior. Any cop who chooses unnecessary force in this type of situation is bad or erratic and should lose his badge. Period.

well stated lenny
rest assured as sully is wrong once again, with his assumption that i believe what sterling brown did was a taserable offense. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #405 on: May 23, 2018, 08:33:05 PM »
There is a nuance to this story though that I think makes it unacceptable.  The story is about two things.

1.  The wrongful arrest and electrocution of an unarmed black male. 

2.  The fact that the individual was actually a local professional basketball player. 

The story then could require one of two different pictures.  1) The mugshot. 2) His basketball photo. 

Given that he was a victim who was wrongfully attacked and arrested, the first seems inappropriate.  The second accurately frames him as an individual and is relevant to the story.  That is why most media used a basketball photo and not the mugshot in the story. 

Using the mugshot reeks of racism and an attempt to frame the story as him being a punk.  It enhances the already illegal, racist and public humiliation he had to endure.  Frankly, it is absurd. 

Now in other cases, where a famous person was arrested on legitimate grounds, for crimes they committed, a mugshot, even if embarrasing, is both relevant and appropriate for the media to use.  That is not the case here.

Do we know anything about the producer of the news show? Gender, race, age, etc?   I've read a few comments here to suggest this was done intentionally with a racist intent, but how does anyone know this?  My understanding is mug shots are often used.  As I asked the other day, should a nice class picture have been used of the kid that shot those poor kids in Texas?  What are the rules here? 

Did TMJ manipulate the picture in any way?  It is a picture of Mr. Brown, yes?  Did they also run a Bucks picture, too?  I was told they did. 

Dangerous to determine intent and I'm not saying you are, but there were a few comments by others here that sure had landed on the newscast doing this with racist intentions which is wrong in my view.  Unless there is factual data to support that, it's a charge that is unnecessary.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #406 on: May 23, 2018, 08:36:47 PM »
The reason I take issue with the mugshot is that this is not reporting the arrest. The arrest was in January. In January/February, sure, it's just reporting. When you're talking about an incident that sounds very much like inappropriate action by police and that Brown was the victim, continuing to use that pic 4 months later is shaping the narrative. That's no longer a subconscious decision or one made simply using the tools available to you, that's choosing to paint the victim in the most negative light. Further, he likely looks like that because he just got tased, so his victimization is now being used to make him look worse.

I've spent nights combing through B-roll. I've sat on the internet finding pictures to use for news stories. We're well beyond the point of "just use the arrest photo."

But isn't the report about what happened the night of the arrest?  His appearance, state of mind, etc would not be something that people might want to know?  The mugshot is tied to that time frame.   There's a reason why some mugshots the person looks wasted (Tiger Woods) vs at a Sunday church service.  It may or may not matter, but the photo is tied to the timing of the event in my opinion.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #407 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:57 PM »
I remember this dude from last year.  He was hulk or something. Three tasers, batons, it was like cotton balls on him.  Finally he went down in Jacksonville.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4263285/cops-repeatedly-taser-drunk-man-and-beat-him-with-baton-in-shocking-arrest-after-he-walked-out-without-paying-his-182-bar-tab/
— Plato

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #408 on: May 23, 2018, 08:46:15 PM »
Cops were dead wrong.

I look forward to seeing how they are censured/punished for this egregious violation of a citizen's rights and the unnecessary escalation of violence.

Police have an extremely difficult job, but I could not agree with you more after watching the video. These guys seem to think they are deployed in a military raid....but is that any surprise given the militarized direction our "police" have taken since the "Patriot" Act and other breaches on civil liberties?

My first reaction upon watching the start of the video was, "'C'mon, Sterling, you should know better than parking like that". But, I immediately recognized the barren winter parking lot and time of day and gave him a pass. Any sentient cop could immediately see he truly knew he was going to be "in and out" within 2 minutes. Doesn't excuse the violation, but Brown seemed ready to admit fault before Wyatt Earp took his Alpha shtick overboard. His keystone cronies further needlessly escalated the situation. Usually, when back-up is called, a cooler head in the group prevails and calms down all parties. My father was a police chief and police magistrate before his political career, and he would be rolling over in his grave if his officers behaved in this hot-headed manner.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #409 on: May 23, 2018, 08:47:02 PM »
well stated lenny
rest assured as sully is wrong once again, with his assumption that i believe what sterling brown did was a taserable offense. 

Then it’s ZERO percent on Brown. Not 40.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #410 on: May 23, 2018, 08:54:44 PM »
Then it’s ZERO percent on Brown. Not 40.

I would go 10 Brown, 90 police.  Clearly they overstepped.  The only reason I give 10 to Brown is that he is asked to remove his hands from his pockets, I assume because they are worried he has something dangerous or illegal.  His response is "Leave me alone," Brown appears to say. "I've got stuff in my hands."   That should not be a taserable offense, but I don't know what the training for the police are there.  Seems excessive unless he made a sudden movement or something. 

Brown will win his lawsuit.  MPD officers will be in trouble, to what degree unknown.  I was raised as Goose was, police tell you to do something you do it, do it politely and with a yes sir or yes maam all at the same time. 
— Plato

Goose

• All American
« Reply #411 on: May 23, 2018, 09:17:35 PM »
I seriously do not believe the heat that rocket gets on here. Some of you, even the older posters, try and pick out things out of every post and bash his comments. I really do not understand the need to cherry pick words out of post and run with it.

I would hope that everyone would agree the cops were over aggressive and that should be outed. But, if Brown was my son, I would have choice words for him on how he handled the situation. Cops were wrong, but Brown lacked the respect that I believe police deserve.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #412 on: May 23, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »
Just watched the video (what's this, the 4th example of body cam footage revealing the truth in the past two weeks?).  Found it very disgusting.  I'll put a flat 0% on Brown.  Not sure how someone is supposed to act "better" when surrounded by five officers acting with that peculiar level of intimidation.  He didn't appear unstable in any way to suggest there was a gun in his pocket and he was going to pull it in front of five cops.

It's the middle of January, it's 2 am, and you're confronting him over using a handicapped spot?  How does that require any more than one officer telling him "I know the lot is empty, but don't use the handicapped spots"?  Couldn't tell clearly from the video, but if the parking job was particularly poor, perhaps observe his gait on the way out and follow for a couple blocks to rule out drunkenness. 

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #413 on: May 23, 2018, 09:40:46 PM »
I seriously do not believe the heat that rocket gets on here. Some of you, even the older posters, try and pick out things out of every post and bash his comments. I really do not understand the need to cherry pick words out of post and run with it.

I would hope that everyone would agree the cops were over aggressive and that should be outed. But, if Brown was my son, I would have choice words for him on how he handled the situation. Cops were wrong, but Brown lacked the respect that I believe police deserve.

You have to be kidding me about the respect crap. That cop came in hot looking to show up some black guy. He came in all hero and escalated it. Should have written his ticket, put it on the car and gone for his donut. Instead, he should be put in prison for battery. F this tough guy crap.
But I like to throw handfuls...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #414 on: May 23, 2018, 09:46:19 PM »

Ah hell no. Brown was fine. The police aren’t God.  He doesn’t owe them complete compliance. And my kids are his age. I don’t have “choice words” with them. They’re adults.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #415 on: May 23, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
Just watched the video (what's this, the 4th example of body cam footage revealing the truth in the past two weeks?).  Found it very disgusting. 

Here's another example of body footage revealing truth.  I love these cameras.  Woman claims cop raped her, didn't realize the camera was on for a full 1 hour and 50 minutes.  Ooops. 

This came out today.

http://cw33.com/2018/05/23/body-cam-video-disproves-grapevine-womans-sexual-assault-accusation/

More body cameras please.  If it reveals the bad cops and the bad citizens, all the better. 
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #416 on: May 23, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »

C'mon, Goose. I respect you, but these cops acted like felons, thugs and racists. Not to mention liars. It was obvious.

And rocket gave them an out ... just as our nation's leader gave the neo-Nazis and KKK an out in Charlottesville. Blame on "many sides." Sure. No wonder he is a hero to Richard Spencer and David Duke.

As I said in my post to rocket, I don't think he's a bad guy, and I don't know him well enough to know if he's a racist. I like to think he simply has a problem articulating this stuff because he has an overwhelming need to be "fair."

There is no "fair" here. One group of people has been treated unfairly for hundreds of years ... and, incredibly, still is. Despite what one group of Americans would have us believe, reverse discrimination is not a bigger problem in this country than racism is.

I understand the instinct to be "fair." But these cops were thugs. The Nazis were chanting "blood and soil" in Charlottesville. There is no equivalence with "the other side." And the sooner we recognize it as a nation, the better.

I'm not holding my breath.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #417 on: May 23, 2018, 10:14:00 PM »

Goose, I do agree with you that so many people lack respect for how tough the job of a police officer is. And it's not just millennials, it's an all-ages show, and certainly spans racial components. That said, I firmly believe Brown knew he was wrong, and an officer with any common-sense and feel for the situation would've gotten a smile, an apology, and even some ticket revenue from Mr. Brown. Yet, this guy even chooses idiotic, escalating language like "OWNING" his camera to assert his alpha dominance.  Imagine if this language were chosen by a person in authority over you, maybe a boss or superior. You would resent that usage. Despite this bungling, Brown remains calm. Brown didn't fully comply, but would you really have been Mr. FULL COMPLIANCE given this jerk's m.o.? You're a better man than I am.

You're right, we should never pigeonhole anybody. Please know that I spent 2o minutes in disbelief at (and then argument against) a comment on Yahoo that double parking over handicap spaces is not that big of a deal. My Mom broke two hips four years ago, and valiantly worked herself back into shape. I was her full-time caregiver before losing her last summer. She walked the malls religiously up until a month from her passing. I got in a couple verbal confrontations with people abusing "handicap" privileges, and if it weren't for our "placard", life outside the home would've been impossible. So, believe me, it irritated me big-time seeing Sterling's ride plonked over two spaces. He's a very young man, and may not have any concept of people's reliance on those spaces. That said, it was 2am. Handled miserably by the patrolman first on the scene.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #418 on: May 23, 2018, 11:04:26 PM »
C'mon, Goose. I respect you, but these cops acted like felons, thugs and racists. Not to mention liars. It was obvious.

And rocket gave them an out ... just as our nation's leader gave the neo-Nazis and KKK an out in Charlottesville. Blame on "many sides." Sure. No wonder he is a hero to Richard Spencer and David Duke.

As I said in my post to rocket, I don't think he's a bad guy, and I don't know him well enough to know if he's a racist. I like to think he simply has a problem articulating this stuff because he has an overwhelming need to be "fair."

There is no "fair" here. One group of people has been treated unfairly for hundreds of years ... and, incredibly, still is. Despite what one group of Americans would have us believe, reverse discrimination is not a bigger problem in this country than racism is.

I understand the instinct to be "fair." But these cops were thugs. The Nazis were chanting "blood and soil" in Charlottesville. There is no equivalence with "the other side." And the sooner we recognize it as a nation, the better.

I'm not holding my breath.

'82...

I like what you said re rocket surgeon wanting to be fair and measured. Sometimes I don't want to be misunderstood, so I over explain things. Ahem, cough cough......

There are times I can't watch CNN, but that doesn't mean I'm a full-blown InfoWars or Fox devotee. The truth often resides in the middle, and it can be a grind sorting through the partisan mush. I think I am trying to figure this whole thing out, like many of us. I was off-the-spectrum leftist back in the MU day, then I did a bit of a 30-something Dennis Miller pivot to the right, and I'm leveling off a bit in my mid 40s. Trump is clearly a con artist and goon, but you have to admit he's a refreshing con. Haven't we become  a bit too offended as a society? I love Elizabeth Warren,  and think she would be 1o times the President Hillary could ever be, but I chuckled at Orange-wave calling her Pocahontas for the liberties taken on her resume or applications. Yet, when I saw a YouTube video of WWII Navajo Code Talkers being honored at the Trump White House, I was sickened and disgusted beyond belief at the Donald bringing up the Pocahontas slur at such a solemn, amazing presentation by the oldest surviving Code Talker, a brilliant and proud patriotic Navajo who fought for the very nation which put his people on reservations. Trump ceased to be refreshing and amusing to me on that day, and I have a healthy sense of humor.

On the Golf Channel today during the women's NCAA golf championship, they did a feature on a Muslim golfer for Nebraska, and all the grief she was subjected to upon arrival in Lincoln. At first, I'm like, "lose the hijab and watch the insults go away." She didn't wear it as a junior golfer, but chose to embrace it later as a young woman. Her parents are respectable people, and her father loves the game probably more than anyone we know. She speaks softly and respectfully, is a normal college gal, but it is hard to see past the head scarf. Her teammates, in particular a formerly insulated young white woman from a Minnesota HS with a total of 3 non-Caucasians, have really stood behind her and protect her from those with hostile intent. That same teammate brought her to tears with a comforting text when a young male classmate  said in a radio interview that you have to be violent with people that don't embrace American culture.

I am not sure that the Muslim religion is a peaceful religion. I know it is not the religion of radical Islam, but I still have my questions. We all know where this is going with Christianity and pointing Jesuits and Crusaders. But I do know that the only practitioner of Islam I have ever known was a co-worker at a middle school where I taught for a couple years. She was the nicest, most dedicated teacher I have ever met, a true professional. Extremely thoughtful, reserved and so sweet. For her, her religion was simply about modesty, and that's why she chose to wear a partial hijab.

The last thing I want to be accused of is virtue-signalling. I'm a fan of Jordan Peterson, only insofar as he calls out nonsensical gender identification labels and intolerance of Conservative viewpoints on college campuses. I just hope none of us here paint with broad brushes or label our adversaries. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade, but I really believe we are all way more alike than we are different.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #419 on: May 24, 2018, 01:19:20 AM »

You really think those pigs deserved respect? What respect should blacks have for a group of people who have assaulted and murdered them for decades, if not centuries.

And your defense of a poster who always finds blame for the non-white person at all times is astonishing.

This was a simple gang assault by the police. We all know it. The Police Dept. knows it. Why does it hurt so much for some people here to admit I it?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #420 on: May 24, 2018, 02:23:02 AM »
Jockey

I try very hard to never read your posts, and wish I had followed that rule tonight. I truly feel sorry for the hate and anger you have in some of your posts.

I 99.9% of the time shy away from hot button topics on here, and always laugh when I see guys laughing about topic getting locked. This is one time I am putting personal lock on a thread.

Again, I am very disappointed in myself for taking the time read your post. I do not know your age, race or religion, but I think I have a pretty good feel of the type of person you are. Good luck, and thanks for making me personally lock a thread.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #421 on: May 24, 2018, 06:54:24 AM »
It is such a toxin, such a stain.  You don't want to accuse your brother of being racist.  At the same time, you don't want to let words or actions you perceive as racist go unchallenged.   The eternal dilemma.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #422 on: May 24, 2018, 07:30:57 AM »
Two things I'll say about this:

1) I tend to be pro-police; and
2) This video made me literally sick to my stomach and profoundly sad.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #423 on: May 24, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
It's always so nice, every 3-4 months a police video comes out where the citizens of the US can come together, and with one voice say "I see exactly what I want to see in this video."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #424 on: May 24, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
Well I think it is entirely undeniable that if this were a white man, there is zero chance it would have gone this far.  Which is the entire point of the topic.