[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How do we keep Buzz  (Read 15919 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Re: How do we keep Buzz
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »
[What top team may be losing a coach?  There are only 5-8 jobs that are really that much better than MU.  Most of them have coaches who aren't going anywhere soon.

Has the job become that much more appealing since TC left? If there were only 5-8 better jobs why did the hiring process go the way it did? Buzz seems to be doing a great job and gets a big thumbs up right now, but I think he would even concede he wouldn't have gotten the gig if it was truly a top 10 job.

Completely mssing the point....there alot of jobs out there that some might consider on PAr with MU,  but only 8-10 better.  The reason Miller or a Bennet might not be interested...becuase they are on par for the most part with MU...that is if you recruit well and coach well you can get to a FInal Four...at the top 8 schools if you do that you contend for NAtional titles.  Lowry, Brownell etc.. were interested becuase they are not on par with MU ,  Miller and bennet are probbaly not to the level of Mu the the Big EAst can also be a detriment in that you can recruit well and coach well and if you do the same at Xavier for example you can go 25-5 in the regualr season

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »
OTOH .. Buzz left the HC job at NO because "it wasn't the best situation for my family"  .. he downgraded his position once before.

He or his wife gets the itch to be near the grandparents .. or he (or his wife) gets tired of the sky-high requirements and needs of the HC spot at a Big East school, and who knows what happens.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 10:31:59 PM »
You keep coaches by paying them. No different than any other industry. Of course, some dickheads will leave anyway. In this case, I'm not worried.

In all fairness, if you are keeping a guy by using money, you can't be surprised when he leaves for more money. Happens in every industry.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »
This is an insane thread. We have played 5 games against the bottom of the conference. I'm sure the the same posters asking how do we keep Buzz were complaining about getting Buzz and/or complaining about coaching in the Dayton game. Some of us need to stop acting like ND fans!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 11:04:37 PM »
He has Marquette playing at a very high level - yesterday's game was a loss in years past. He is also a very good recruiter.  If we go far this year, does he look around? I dont think so, but money can do funny things.

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »

Thanks Rob - That graphic never gets old, and is very appropriate for this thread

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »
Oolong had moved on to some other balancing talents before his untimely death in 2003.  RIP

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 08:07:43 AM »
This is an insane thread. We have played 5 games against the bottom of the conference. I'm sure the the same posters asking how do we keep Buzz were complaining about getting Buzz and/or complaining about coaching in the Dayton game. Some of us need to stop acting like ND fans!

The five teams at the bottom of the conference--and predicted that way by most at the beginning of the season--are DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Florida and St. Johns.  We've only played one of our games against this group.

We've played 4 of the "middle of the pack" teams--teams expected to compete for 4th through 9th in the Big East this year. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »
The five teams at the bottom of the conference--and predicted that way by most at the beginning of the season--are DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Florida and St. Johns.  We've only played one of our games against this group.

We've played 4 of the "middle of the pack" teams--teams expected to compete for 4th through 9th in the Big East this year. 

And we still have five games remaining against the five bottom teams in the conference.  If our senior-laden team can take care of business in those games (three of which are at home), we'll finish the conference with -- at worst -- a 10-8 record in conference.  For what it's worth, I was pleased to see that Pomeroy's data/methodology also predicts victories against ND, UCONN and Syracuse (with a very close loss to Georgetown at home).  I suspect most of us would happily accept a 13-5 conference record with wins over Villanova, ND, UCONN and Syracuse (and losses to GU, Pitt, Louisville, and Villanova).

Here's hoping that Pomeroy is actually underestimating our success.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »
Can you imagine the meltdown if he did leave.  People went off when Crean left after 9 years, the first coach since McGuire to give MU more than 6 years.  If Buzz were to leave after 1 year it would be a nuclear meltdown here for some.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »

Overall Conf
W L W L
Marq 16 2 5 0
Lou 13 3 4 0
UConn 16 1 5 1
Syr 17 2 5 1
Pitt 16 1 4 1
GTown 12 4 3 2
Prov 11 6 3 2
ND 12 5 3 3
Vill 14 3 2 2
WVU 13 4 2 2
Cin 12 6 2 3
StJn 10 7 1 4
SoFla 6 11 1 4
SetonH 9 8 0 5
Rut 9 9 0 5
DePaul 8 10 0 5

I'm sorry I mispoke about Providence but we have not beaten anyone other than Providence in the top half. This schedule is going to get tough and we will most likely lose multiple games in a row shortly. This conference causes fans, coaches and players to lose their minds at times. I still remember the way a lot of people(myself probably included) felt after Syracuse shut us down last year. Let's take this thing one game at a time and try not to get carried away.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »
In other words, take it with a grain of salt and don't fly off at the handle unless one of the handlers says so.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mviale

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »
What if we dont fall apart?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 06:14:35 PM »
With all due respect, there is no way in hell the Arizona alums would stand for it.  They are going after a proven head coach that has done it for the long haul.  Everyone is talking it will be Mark Few, Jamie Dixon, Lon Kruger or someone of that ilk that has done it for the long haul on their own.

I sincerely doubt a program like Arizona would take a flier on someone that stepped into Buzz's situation.

Buzz will have to prove it on his own with his own guys, not after inheriting four of the top 6 scorers (potentially) in MU history when all is said and done for a program like Arizona to grab him. 

And besides, if he leaves it won't matter.....remember it's the program that makes the coach not the other way around.   :o   ;) 

They asked what higher profile job will be open after this year - Arizona will be open and his higher profile. There is zero chance Buzz will be considered here.
But I like to throw handfuls...

nyg

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 06:50:49 PM »
Lets see what happens in the last five games.  Agree with Chicos, Arizona would not even consider him, but they will consider Dixon bigtime.  He started at No. Arizona with Ben Howland prior to PITT.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »
Lets see what happens in the last five games.  Agree with Chicos, Arizona would not even consider him, but they will consider Dixon bigtime.  He started at No. Arizona with Ben Howland prior to PITT.

Few, Dixon, Izzo and others will be considered. Izzo is going to be interesting.
But I like to throw handfuls...

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »
Izzo to Arizona, TC to Mich. St., Buzz to IU and Lute Olson is a miracle healer who makes a comeback at MU.  Think that sounds stupid?  Then I'm in theme with this thread!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 09:06:26 AM »
This may be the most ridiculous thread in the history of this site.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 03:24:51 PM »
More ridiculous than your name Niv?  I think this situation is plausible if Buzz gets us into the sweet 16, his recruiting class is in the top 20 and consider his salary. I think a Southwest school would take him or possibly Layer in a heartbeat?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »
Mviale, Does "southwest school" = az, or do you think there are a slew of better programs that have coaching changes coming up?
if everyone considered Buzz a reach 5 months ago and since then he's won with 4 stud upperclassmen why would that all of a sudden make him the top coaching canndidate for a top 5-7 job.  Keep in mind only one will open up.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
No, I wouldnt say AZ yet. Baylor, Houston, SMU, TCU? Maybe
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 04:06:58 PM by mviale »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »
You're worried about losing Buzz to a school like Baylor, Houston, SMU, or TCU?

Really?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 04:17:22 PM »
This may be the most ridiculous thread in the history of this site.

+1000... 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »
I know - it would be a shame.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »
I know - it would be a shame.

No, it would be hilarious :D