[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: How do we keep Buzz  (Read 15849 times)

mviale

• All American
How do we keep Buzz
« on: January 18, 2009, 12:00:44 PM »
He has Marquette playing at a very high level - yesterday's game was a loss in years past. He is also a very good recruiter.  If we go far this year, does he look around? I dont think so, but money can do funny things.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: How do we keep Buzz
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
Thread of the year!
SS Marquette

Brew City

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
Buzz to Indiana.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 12:16:03 PM »
If Buzz does phenomenally well this year, and another team comes calling, I think it is a tough call from both ends of the floor.

For Buzz, his stock will almost certainly take a hit next year after losing the big three. If he could raise his salary and move to a school where he feels he can better recruit, why wouldn't he? Yeah, he's a classy guy, but that says nothing of bettering your own situation.

For Marquette, no matter how good Buzz does this year, he is still something of an unknown quantity. Right now, he is playing with Crean's players. Every coach is a risk, and Marquette decided Buzz was worth $X/year. Is he, after one year with someone else's players, worth twice that?

I think Marquette offers a pretty good package (other than -30 degree temps) and that the new offer would have to be pretty good to get him to leave with this recruiting class coming in. MU is back on the map, and can't really be seen as a stepping stone program. I'm not worried -- yet. Let's see a final four run before Buzz stock takes off :)
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:20:49 PM »
Only jerks take a better job for more money

What top team may be losing a coach?  There are only 5-8 jobs that are really that much better than MU.  Most of them have coaches who aren't going anywhere soon.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 12:21:46 PM »
Only jerks take a better job for more money

What top team may be losing a coach?  There are only 5-8 jobs that are really that much better than MU.  Most of them have coaches who aren't going anywhere soon.

Arizona.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »
I think talks of a contract extension or him leaving are a bit premature. Buzz has the luxury of inheriting an experienced team with the 3 seniors and Lazar. I'm not saying he just rolls the ball out and lets them play. Buzz can definitely coach and is doing a great job. He has shown a ton already and is getting better each game. What I'm interested to see is how he is able to develop HIS players next year and the year after. I want to see what Buzz ball really looks like. Also, I'm interested to see how Buzz is able to handle the peripheral aspects of being head basketball coach that Tom Crean excelled at. Buzz has goodwill for a few years, and then it will be time to reevaluate. Also, even if another team comes calling, other than money, I'm not sure what job is better than Marquette for Buzz right now. If he wants to leave, I don't see Marquette getting into a bidding war.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:24:16 PM by MilTown »

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
[What top team may be losing a coach?  There are only 5-8 jobs that are really that much better than MU.  Most of them have coaches who aren't going anywhere soon.
[/quote]

Has the job become that much more appealing since TC left? If there were only 5-8 better jobs why did the hiring process go the way it did? Buzz seems to be doing a great job and gets a big thumbs up right now, but I think he would even concede he wouldn't have gotten the gig if it was truly a top 10 job.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 12:51:08 PM »
Give it a break.  Marquette is a great job.  Are you worrying that the sky will fall to?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 12:58:38 PM »
He has Marquette playing at a very high level - yesterday's game was a loss in years past. He is also a very good recruiter.  If we go far this year, does he look around? I dont think so, but money can do funny things.

This is absolutely, positively ridiculous. The guys basically won the lottery by being in the right place at the right time and getting the MU job when Crean left for Indiana. If he wasn't on TC's staff at the time, he's still an assistant sitting on the bench waiting for his "break." From what I've heard from Buzz and read about him, he knows how lucky he is to be where he is at with Marquette.

Moreover, let's see how he does without three potential NBA draft picks next year before there is talk of him being ready to "look around."
We Are Marquette

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »
The only way Buzz would leave MU would be if there was a vacancy at his "dream" school, Texas-Arlington.  That could only happen if Scott Cross left to coach in the NBA. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 01:04:56 PM by MUunderpants »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 01:17:09 PM »
The only way Buzz would leave MU would be if there was a vacancy at his "dream" school, Texas-Arlington.  That could only happen if Scott Cross left to coach in the NBA. 

POST OF THE YEAR!!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 01:22:21 PM »
I do not see Buzz leaving anytime soon. For an elite program to offer him a job, he would have to show he can win with his players. He is not going to make a lateral move. I think one of the reasons Crean left is that he felt he could not consistantly recruit the top players at MU. I do not see this as a problem for Buzz. The only question is how he handles a young, but talented team next year. Some fan expectations will be too high, which will put pressure on Buzz.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 01:23:31 PM »

Still too early to tell. With the senior leadership on this team I would have expected a similar start if Mickey Mouse was the coach. Lets see how Buzz gets us through the hell that will be @G-town, UConn, @Louisville, @Pitt, Syracuse before we proclaim him to be the next Marquette God.

While we won last night the substitutions and Buzz's refusal to call timeouts and/or change up defenses when Providence was driving to the basket at will was very questionable.

We also have no idea as to whether or not Buzz can develop talent. Just because you pull in top recruiting classes doesn't mean crap if you can't develop those players... just ask jabba the hut aka Charlie Wies. He won with Ty Willingham's senior class and hasn't done crap since and now ND is stuck with a huge buyout to deal with when they suck again next year.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »
Buzz feels fortunate to have had this opportunity - as he has said over and over again.  I think he also has character.  Yes, money talks.  Crean theorethically had other opportunities, probably for more money.  I just don't see Buzz, who had been many places for a short time as assistants, etc. leaving this gig after a year.  Not a good career move by any means, any way you look at it. 

And we have the meat of the BEast to play still.  I think and I hope he is in this for the long haul.  Starting Buzz's Bunch and hiss genuine character says something of the man.  I hope in his heart he is saying I'm dancing with the one who brought me to the dance - a marathon - and let's all hope he does well with us year after year.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 02:11:06 PM »
Indeed, a laughable thought.  It is reasonable to think that Buzz really hasn't proven himself yet.   Not only is the season young (6 of our 18 games were vs. top 75 .. 8 more coming!) but his career is young.   

The best that can be said is that he has potential, and 3 months into his big job, with the former coach's players, he's done well. -- This does not equate to a blockbuster coach that the 5-20 possibly better programs would desire.

While I agree, money and fame can change a man, Buzz strikes me as incredibly humble and loyal.   While the %age chance he leaves goes up every season he succeeds, it's at zero right now.  

If he succeeds NEXT season, say a Top 25 team with an NCAA bid ..then his chances go up, but still not probable for him to leave.

MU fans have been trained like pavlov turning the Crean years.  Good year = our coach might leave.

Pardner

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 02:15:46 PM »
Is Barry Switzer available?   ;)

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 02:17:21 PM »
Sorry but this post question is almost as silly as the overeaction by some to the Dayton loss when some were calling his coaching into question.
Can we just let the man complete a season or two before we even speculate about him leaving and compare him successwise to other MU coaches......
Once a warrior always a warrior.

nola03

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 02:18:24 PM »
Indeed, a laughable thought. 

I actually am laughing right now.

Nearly as laughable was someone who talks about how well Butler is playing and then mentions that Tyshawn Taylor has hit a wall at Kansas and they may need another option at guard as if there's a connection tween the two.  ::)

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 02:18:41 PM »

Are you kidding???

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 03:23:17 PM »
Buzz still has a lot to prove before any elite school AD will come calling.      The way we sucked on D for 30 minutes had me very worried again about our D.    It seems Buzz either has our guys playing great non-fouling prone D or Terrible Sieve D. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 03:31:14 PM »
You keep coaches by paying them. No different than any other industry. Of course, some dickheads will leave anyway. In this case, I'm not worried.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
I think one imporant reason that will keep Buzz here for awhile is that he saw how hurt the players were when Crean left. I think the way he values relationships and how he puts the players irst, he couldn't do that to the kids. I also think/hope Buzz is one of those guys that will be loyal to MU for giving him his shot. I truely hope Buzz stays for awhile especially if he turns out to be half as good a coach as he is a good person, because from everything I've seen he seems to be a great guy. It'd be cool to have someone here for a long time like a Boeheim or Calhoun.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 04:49:06 PM »

Keep global warming alive as he doesn't like the cold and he's from Texas.  Besides, where is he going to go?  I think most AD's would want him to prove it on his own first, don't you?  You know, his own players his own recruits.  He's being paid a million right now.  He isn't going anywhere anytime soon nor would anyone hire him away yet because no one knows what he's going to be yet as we've all said....this year you throw the ball out and don't screw it up.  Next year and years beyond, that's when we find out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 05:00:03 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »
Arizona.

With all due respect, there is no way in hell the Arizona alums would stand for it.  They are going after a proven head coach that has done it for the long haul.  Everyone is talking it will be Mark Few, Jamie Dixon, Lon Kruger or someone of that ilk that has done it for the long haul on their own.

I sincerely doubt a program like Arizona would take a flier on someone that stepped into Buzz's situation.

Buzz will have to prove it on his own with his own guys, not after inheriting four of the top 6 scorers (potentially) in MU history when all is said and done for a program like Arizona to grab him. 

And besides, if he leaves it won't matter.....remember it's the program that makes the coach not the other way around.   :o   ;) 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 05:18:38 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »
[What top team may be losing a coach?  There are only 5-8 jobs that are really that much better than MU.  Most of them have coaches who aren't going anywhere soon.

Has the job become that much more appealing since TC left? If there were only 5-8 better jobs why did the hiring process go the way it did? Buzz seems to be doing a great job and gets a big thumbs up right now, but I think he would even concede he wouldn't have gotten the gig if it was truly a top 10 job.

Completely mssing the point....there alot of jobs out there that some might consider on PAr with MU,  but only 8-10 better.  The reason Miller or a Bennet might not be interested...becuase they are on par for the most part with MU...that is if you recruit well and coach well you can get to a FInal Four...at the top 8 schools if you do that you contend for NAtional titles.  Lowry, Brownell etc.. were interested becuase they are not on par with MU ,  Miller and bennet are probbaly not to the level of Mu the the Big EAst can also be a detriment in that you can recruit well and coach well and if you do the same at Xavier for example you can go 25-5 in the regualr season

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 05:38:18 PM »
OTOH .. Buzz left the HC job at NO because "it wasn't the best situation for my family"  .. he downgraded his position once before.

He or his wife gets the itch to be near the grandparents .. or he (or his wife) gets tired of the sky-high requirements and needs of the HC spot at a Big East school, and who knows what happens.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 10:31:59 PM »
You keep coaches by paying them. No different than any other industry. Of course, some dickheads will leave anyway. In this case, I'm not worried.

In all fairness, if you are keeping a guy by using money, you can't be surprised when he leaves for more money. Happens in every industry.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 10:48:48 PM »
This is an insane thread. We have played 5 games against the bottom of the conference. I'm sure the the same posters asking how do we keep Buzz were complaining about getting Buzz and/or complaining about coaching in the Dayton game. Some of us need to stop acting like ND fans!

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 11:04:37 PM »

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 11:31:41 PM »

Thanks Rob - That graphic never gets old, and is very appropriate for this thread

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 12:08:46 AM »
Oolong had moved on to some other balancing talents before his untimely death in 2003.  RIP

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 08:07:43 AM »
This is an insane thread. We have played 5 games against the bottom of the conference. I'm sure the the same posters asking how do we keep Buzz were complaining about getting Buzz and/or complaining about coaching in the Dayton game. Some of us need to stop acting like ND fans!

The five teams at the bottom of the conference--and predicted that way by most at the beginning of the season--are DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Florida and St. Johns.  We've only played one of our games against this group.

We've played 4 of the "middle of the pack" teams--teams expected to compete for 4th through 9th in the Big East this year. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »
The five teams at the bottom of the conference--and predicted that way by most at the beginning of the season--are DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Florida and St. Johns.  We've only played one of our games against this group.

We've played 4 of the "middle of the pack" teams--teams expected to compete for 4th through 9th in the Big East this year. 

And we still have five games remaining against the five bottom teams in the conference.  If our senior-laden team can take care of business in those games (three of which are at home), we'll finish the conference with -- at worst -- a 10-8 record in conference.  For what it's worth, I was pleased to see that Pomeroy's data/methodology also predicts victories against ND, UCONN and Syracuse (with a very close loss to Georgetown at home).  I suspect most of us would happily accept a 13-5 conference record with wins over Villanova, ND, UCONN and Syracuse (and losses to GU, Pitt, Louisville, and Villanova).

Here's hoping that Pomeroy is actually underestimating our success.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »
Can you imagine the meltdown if he did leave.  People went off when Crean left after 9 years, the first coach since McGuire to give MU more than 6 years.  If Buzz were to leave after 1 year it would be a nuclear meltdown here for some.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »

Overall Conf
W L W L
Marq 16 2 5 0
Lou 13 3 4 0
UConn 16 1 5 1
Syr 17 2 5 1
Pitt 16 1 4 1
GTown 12 4 3 2
Prov 11 6 3 2
ND 12 5 3 3
Vill 14 3 2 2
WVU 13 4 2 2
Cin 12 6 2 3
StJn 10 7 1 4
SoFla 6 11 1 4
SetonH 9 8 0 5
Rut 9 9 0 5
DePaul 8 10 0 5

I'm sorry I mispoke about Providence but we have not beaten anyone other than Providence in the top half. This schedule is going to get tough and we will most likely lose multiple games in a row shortly. This conference causes fans, coaches and players to lose their minds at times. I still remember the way a lot of people(myself probably included) felt after Syracuse shut us down last year. Let's take this thing one game at a time and try not to get carried away.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 12:22:33 PM »
In other words, take it with a grain of salt and don't fly off at the handle unless one of the handlers says so.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mviale

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:05 PM »
What if we dont fall apart?

Chili

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 06:14:35 PM »
With all due respect, there is no way in hell the Arizona alums would stand for it.  They are going after a proven head coach that has done it for the long haul.  Everyone is talking it will be Mark Few, Jamie Dixon, Lon Kruger or someone of that ilk that has done it for the long haul on their own.

I sincerely doubt a program like Arizona would take a flier on someone that stepped into Buzz's situation.

Buzz will have to prove it on his own with his own guys, not after inheriting four of the top 6 scorers (potentially) in MU history when all is said and done for a program like Arizona to grab him. 

And besides, if he leaves it won't matter.....remember it's the program that makes the coach not the other way around.   :o   ;) 

They asked what higher profile job will be open after this year - Arizona will be open and his higher profile. There is zero chance Buzz will be considered here.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 06:50:49 PM »
Lets see what happens in the last five games.  Agree with Chicos, Arizona would not even consider him, but they will consider Dixon bigtime.  He started at No. Arizona with Ben Howland prior to PITT.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 07:11:47 PM »
Lets see what happens in the last five games.  Agree with Chicos, Arizona would not even consider him, but they will consider Dixon bigtime.  He started at No. Arizona with Ben Howland prior to PITT.

Few, Dixon, Izzo and others will be considered. Izzo is going to be interesting.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »
Izzo to Arizona, TC to Mich. St., Buzz to IU and Lute Olson is a miracle healer who makes a comeback at MU.  Think that sounds stupid?  Then I'm in theme with this thread!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 09:06:26 AM »
This may be the most ridiculous thread in the history of this site.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2009, 03:24:51 PM »
More ridiculous than your name Niv?  I think this situation is plausible if Buzz gets us into the sweet 16, his recruiting class is in the top 20 and consider his salary. I think a Southwest school would take him or possibly Layer in a heartbeat?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »
Mviale, Does "southwest school" = az, or do you think there are a slew of better programs that have coaching changes coming up?
if everyone considered Buzz a reach 5 months ago and since then he's won with 4 stud upperclassmen why would that all of a sudden make him the top coaching canndidate for a top 5-7 job.  Keep in mind only one will open up.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
No, I wouldnt say AZ yet. Baylor, Houston, SMU, TCU? Maybe
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 04:06:58 PM by mviale »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »
You're worried about losing Buzz to a school like Baylor, Houston, SMU, or TCU?

Really?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 04:17:22 PM »
This may be the most ridiculous thread in the history of this site.

+1000... 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »
I know - it would be a shame.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »
I know - it would be a shame.

No, it would be hilarious :D

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »
You're worried about losing Buzz to a school like Baylor, Houston, SMU, or TCU?

Really?

+1

If Buzz wants to make a downward move then I don't think he's the right man for the job anyway.

Also, why would Izzo even think about going to AZ?  That's a lateral move at best and he is from Michigan.  The only place Izzo is leaving MSU for is either the association or the retirement home.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:01:42 PM by jmayer1 »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2009, 06:21:29 PM »
Few, Dixon, Izzo and others will be considered. Izzo is going to be interesting.

And Arizona drafts coaches the way an NBA team picks graduating seniors.

Or how about this"

Because Few, Izzo and Dixon are just chomping at the bit for a better offer which never seems to come.

We've been talking about Izzo moving on for seven or eight years now.  Same with Few.  Dixon has only been on the "going to jump after this year" for only four years.   

If you think the same guys who have not moved for any other opeing over the last five years are all of a sudden going to jump for Arizona, then fine.  I'm assuming that they're no more interested in Arizona than they were in Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana etc. 

But if Few, or Izzo or Dixon for some reason ARE interested, I'll admit that Arizona would hire them first. 

Can we move on to the next point?  I'm assuming that Few, Izzo and Dixon stay put.  Who's next on the list?  All of last year's hot names have flamed out.  I doubt that Brad Brownell is on anybody's short list this year.  Ditto with Chris Lowrey.  Ditto with Avery Grant.

So if AZ can't draft their "name" coach, who ARE they going to look at? 

I say that there is a strong chance that Buzz is on that list.  Nobody has yet to name anyone more likely.

To demonstrate how short the list is, let me ask this:  If Buzz SHOULD leave MU after this year, who would be on YOUR short list for MU to hire? 

I know.  I know.  Dixon, Few and Izzo. 

Who's next?

Not so easy anymore, is it?   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2009, 08:30:37 PM »
Seth Davis has some names....as well as a take on DePaul....
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/01/21/mailbag/index.html?eref=T1
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 10:29:52 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if this thread is more ridiculous than the fire Buzz thread. Should we take a poll?

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 10:41:14 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if this thread is more ridiculous than the fire Buzz thread. Should we take a poll?

Both are equally ridiculous...

But what are message boards for?  This is the home of the lunatic fringe of MU BBall fans.

Yes, I am a self-loathing message board geek.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »
Take a look at the comment credibility thread and see MVIALE's comments about 3 year olds. He also happens to be the same individual who started this thread.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »

MU fans have been trained like pavlov turning the Crean years.  Good year = our coach might leave.

You must have slept through the Deane and O'Neil years.  :)

Deane was looking "to be near his parents" by his 2nd year.  O'Neill's name was floated as a big-time candidate after 3 seasons. 

If anything, Crean was more loyal than his predecessors with only elite level programs getting serious consideration (KU, UK, Indiana twice).  O'Neill makes a Sweet 16, and he's off to Tennessee.  Crean makes the Final Four, and re-signs to stay at Marquette.  Complain about his loyalty all you want, he never seriously considered leaving for a program like Tennessee or Florida State--and he certainly had plenty of opportunities at like programs during the five years between the Final Four and leaving for Indiana. 

I would hope that Buzz would stay at MU rather than run off to a similar or lesser program.  But we've had previous coaches toy with Florida State and Tennessee--which I think most here would consider a lateral move at best. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »

If anything, Crean was more loyal than his predecessors with only elite level programs getting serious consideration (KU, UK, Indiana twice). 

This is just a flat out lie. Crean was begging Illinois to hire him directly after the Final Four. Their AD and the people involved in the search couldn't stand the smarmy jerkoff. They are obviously good judges of character. He also inquired into the Virginia job and had Andy Katz float his name for the Ohio State job.

Kansas never considered him and neither did Kentucky, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Neither did Indiana the first time around.

And perhaps you can explain the contract offer he received from Arkansas? Did that materialize out of thin air or were there discussions? Do you think Arkansas is in the business of throwing out contract offers without previous contact?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »
This is just a flat out lie. Crean was begging Illinois to hire him directly after the Final Four. Their AD and the people involved in the search couldn't stand the smarmy jerkoff. They are obviously good judges of character. He also inquired into the Virginia job and had Andy Katz float his name for the Ohio State job.

Kansas never considered him and neither did Kentucky, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Neither did Indiana the first time around.

And perhaps you can explain the contract offer he received from Arkansas? Did that materialize out of thin air or were there discussions? Do you think Arkansas is in the business of throwing out contract offers without previous contact?

What I'm trying to say is that your girlfriend was getting serviced by everybody in the neighborhood, while you were getting ready to buy her more expensive jewelry.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »
YES, PRN IS BACK!!!

CaptainHavoc

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »
Funny, one thread wants him fired, the other wants to figure out how to keep him.  Very Mike Davis like. 

Maybe we could offer him some sweet tea.........I've heard he likes it

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2009, 11:13:05 PM »
This is just a flat out lie. Crean was begging Illinois to hire him directly after the Final Four.

Speaking of flat out lies. . . .

Their AD and the people involved in the search couldn't stand the smarmy jerkoff.

Of which you've been able to cite exactly *zero* examples to date.

Did you think I'd forget?  You run off and cower under a rock for months, hoping you wouldn't be called out on this.

He also inquired into the Virginia job and had Andy Katz float his name for the Ohio State job.

Here's Katz' article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1821994

Sure sounds like Katz was floating Bob Knight's name for the Ohio State job: "He would listen if Ohio State Called"   Katz said that about Knight--not Crean.

I'm sure you believe that Herb Sendek, That Matta, and Gary Waters ALSO had Andy Katz float their names. 

Because Katz is too stupid to come up with ideas on his own for possible coaching replacements.

And on one hand we're to believe that Katz checks his articles for Crean's approval before filing them, yet for a job that Crean supposedly wanted, Katz included Crean as an also ran to Knight, with three other rivals (and ultimate victor) cited in the same article.

Let's face facts:  Katz writes about college basketball, and citing Tom Crean as a candidate for a coaching vacancy is as predictable as citing Mark Few or Tony Bennett or Sean Miller.   Katz doesn't need Crean to tell him anything, any more than he needs Bennett or Miller or Few.

In fact, here's an article where Katz comments on 37 different coaching vacancies. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2834962

Somehow Katz managed to find something to say about each of them without any direction from Tom Crean.  Almost as if Katz knows something about college basketball. 

Who said anything about whether the feelings were reciprocal?

I said Crean was only serious about Kansas, Kentucky and Indiana (twice).  If Kansas considered him, I suspect he would have gone.  Ditto with UK.  Ditto the first time at Indiana.

I don't suspect he was serious about Virginia or Arkansas.

I believe I counted 54 openings at Big Six conference programs between 2003 and time Crean left for IU.  The only jobs Crean was serious about were elite level programs--not perennial bottom division programs like Tennessee or Florida State.

My guess is the call went something like this:

Arkansas AD to Izzo:
"Hello Tom, we need to you pass a message to your friend Tom Crean.  Tell him that Arkansas is prepared to offer him up to $2 million a year on a ten year deal."

BTW, you're confusing contract with offer.  Crean didn't even have a contract with Indiana until August 18--over 4 months after he accepted the job.

A contract is not the first step--its the last.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:16:55 PM by Marquette84 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2009, 10:10:20 AM »

Deane was looking "to be near his parents" by his 2nd year.  O'Neill's name was floated as a big-time candidate after 3 seasons. 

If anything, Crean was more loyal than his predecessors with only elite level programs getting serious consideration (KU, UK, Indiana twice).  O'Neill makes a Sweet 16, and he's off to Tennessee.  Crean makes the Final Four, and re-signs to stay at Marquette.  Complain about his loyalty all you want, he never seriously considered leaving for a program like Tennessee or Florida State--and he certainly had plenty of opportunities at like programs during the five years between the Final Four and leaving for Indiana. 

I would hope that Buzz would stay at MU rather than run off to a similar or lesser program.  But we've had previous coaches toy with Florida State and Tennessee--which I think most here would consider a lateral move at best. 

So you're saying TC would only cheat on his wife with someone prettier or richer than her and this says something positive about his character. Interesting.