Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU 106, MSOE 47  (Read 8128 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] MU 106, MSOE 47
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »
MU 106, MSOE 47

Eleven of 12 players scored, and MU shot 56.9% as the Golden Eagles rolled, 106-47, in an exhibition tilt against MSOE at the Bradley Center on Saturday afternoon.

Senior forward Lazar Hayward scored a game-high 24 points in 17 minutes to lead MU. Dwight Buycks scored 15, Jimmy Butler and Chris Otule 14 apiece and David Cubillan 12 for the Golden Eagles, who also forced 25 turnovers.

Butler also pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/69478917.html

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU 106, MSOE 47
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 03:22:40 PM »
i think we will miss JC more than we first realized. also, buycks is a high level guard. he will be very good.

I see a lot of three foward sets this year, otule and yous just wont cut it in the big east, maymon is much more affective.

erik williams reminds me exactly of butler at this time last year.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:28:56 PM by cosmokramer »

mu89

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 03:28:49 PM »
i know it's an exhibition, but did anyone else think that perimeter defense was really bad?

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »
yeah, MSOE seemed to have a lot of open 3 attempts. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »
i think we will miss JC more than we first realized. also, buycks is a high level guard. he will be very good.

I see a lot of three foward sets this year, otule and yous just wont cut it in the big east, maymon is much more affective.

erik williams reminds me exactly of butler at this time last year.

I feel like you didn't watch the game at all.

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 04:45:17 PM »
I feel like you didn't watch the game at all.

I was at the game, and what don't you agree with? acker looked bad against terrible compitition, and cooby is not a PG.

Buycks looked very good, i think most would agree with me.

Otule had 4 rebounds and Yous had 1. Against a team with a 6'4 center, those guys should dominate. They did not even come close to looking dominating.

As far as erik williams, do you remember how jimmy played defense at the beginning of last year??

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »
I was at the game, and what don't you agree with? acker looked bad against terrible compitition, and cooby is not a PG.

Buycks looked very good, i think most would agree with me.

Otule had 4 rebounds and Yous had 1. Against a team with a 6'4 center, those guys should dominate. They did not even come close to looking dominating.

As far as erik williams, do you remember how jimmy played defense at the beginning of last year??

Cooby can play PG.  He had 7 assists, and has quick feet (something he has always had) so he should be able to stay in front of more BE PG's than Acker.

Buycks will probably be good, I agree with that.

Otule will be fine.  The guy had more points today than he had minutes last year (practically).  He looks 150% improved from last year... Will he be dominant?  No.  Will he be at least as good as Dwight Burke was last year?  Absolutely. 

EWilliams looked lost.  He was lazy.  He played little defense.  Is he athletically gifted?  Yes.  I see him more as Fulce last year rather than Butler.  EWill is a forward anyway, and Butler is really a guard... so I don't see the comparison as much as I do with Fulce.

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »
although i do like him more than acker, we are in for a long season if we are counting on cubi to play major PG minutes.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 05:38:57 PM »
although i do like him more than acker, we are in for a long season if we are counting on cubi to play major PG minutes.

What on earth are you basing this claim on? Have you seen the box score? Coobs had 9 assists, 12 points, 4 steals, and also had his three stroke back. He looks more than serviceable as a PG. He showed great vision and created opportunities for his teammates (his rifled pass to J-May down low was incredible). In addition, he showed the swagger he had two years ago. He played pesky defense, and broke the ankles of two MSOE defenders on a couple of his step-back threes.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Johnny Flynn, but I think he did a lot to show that he has the ability to handle large minutes and play a meaningful role when called upon. I certainly didn't watch this game and freak out at the prospect of him taking minutes at the 1 like I would have last year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »
What on earth are you basing this claim on? Have you seen the box score? Coobs had 9 assists, 12 points, 4 steals, and also had his three stroke back. He looks more than serviceable as a PG. He showed great vision and created opportunities for his teammates (his rifled pass to J-May down low was incredible). In addition, he showed the swagger he had two years ago. He played pesky defense, and broke the ankles of two MSOE defenders on a couple of his step-back threes.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Johnny Flynn, but I think he did a lot to show that he has the ability to handle large minutes and play a meaningful role when called upon. I certainly didn't watch this game and freak out at the prospect of him taking minutes at the 1 like I would have last year.

completely agree.  I was excited about Cubillian his freshman year.  I thought he was going to be the first guard off the bench after the amigos.  Then he got hurt... and honestly, he probably should have medical redhirted... but he is not some cast off.

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 05:47:19 PM »

wow 12 points against a team that frozena could start for... and its not too hard to get 9 assists when the people you are passing too are either making wide open threes or wide open layups/alley-oops.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »
Otule does look improved and I think he may be able to make a couple buckets a game, but there are guys we'll face that will eat him alive when they have the ball.  You're going to see some small lineups on the court for us a lot again this year.

Buycks I think will be up and down from game to game.  There will be nights when we say, "why can't he just do that every game?!?".  It'll be interesting to see Buzz's use of him.

Lazar is a stud.

Jimmy - love him.  Inside, getting rebounds, getting physical and converting is great and he'll do plenty of that this year... but he'll also be hitting jumpers.  

FUL - every time I see him play the first thing I think is, 'damn, he is loooong'.  Second to how the PG position plays out, I think Joe's performance is my next biggest variable for this season -- if he plays like I think he can, it'll be huge for this team.

J-May - the guy is a brick.  Lots of unknowns on this squad but I have no concerns with having Maymon on the court for us against Big East teams.  When I see this guy play, I know we are still Warriors.  

I'm not sure why you play a guy that looks like a cripple on the floor when it's an exhibition game vs. MSOE.  DJO must have wanted to play.  I hope he heals up nicely and is ready to go full speed soon - he is needed.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »
wow 12 points against a team that frozena could start for... and its not too hard to get 9 assists when the people you are passing too are either making wide open threes or wide open layups/alley-oops.
So where is the open mind.  He did a great job.  What more could you ask from him.  Coobey's performance speaks for itself.  Sorry the competition wasn't legitimate for you.  Coobey will up for the challenge next game.  If he finds the open man, plays pesky defense, nails the open shot, can create for his teammates and doesn't turn the ball over, you can't ask for more. 

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29:38 PM »
So where is the open mind.  He did a great job.  What more could you ask from him.  Coobey's performance speaks for itself.  Sorry the competition wasn't legitimate for you.  Coobey will up for the challenge next game.  If he finds the open man, plays pesky defense, nails the open shot, can create for his teammates and doesn't turn the ball over, you can't ask for more. 

i'm not saying he did a bad job. i was pleasantly surprised by him. i was arguing with the other poster who was using those stats to say that cooby could be a good BEast PG. i think that he will definitely be serviceable, but no where near good once BEast play starts

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 06:49:53 PM »
I watched the game and thought to myself that it was impossible to take anything from the game because the competition was so poor.  I'm amazed how many on here already know who should be playing, shouldn't, will play well this year, will struggle, will be up and down all year, etc...  I enjoy discussion on MU basketball, but this gets a little insane. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 06:59:44 PM »
I watched the game and thought to myself that it was impossible to take anything from the game because the competition was so poor.  I'm amazed how many on here already know who should be playing, shouldn't, will play well this year, will struggle, will be up and down all year, etc...  I enjoy discussion on MU basketball, but this gets a little insane. 
Wow, why did we play it at all?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 07:02:48 PM »
I watched the game and thought to myself that it was impossible to take anything from the game because the competition was so poor.  I'm amazed how many on here already know who should be playing, shouldn't, will play well this year, will struggle, will be up and down all year, etc...  I enjoy discussion on MU basketball, but this gets a little insane.  

+1.  

MU just beat a team that was more suited to playing high school ball than against D1 talent.    

On the other hand, as I passed Henry Sugar on the way out, he said he'd done some statistical analysis of the first half, and he said he calculated us as winning the National Championship, based on our first half domination vs. MSOE.

Wow, why did we play it at all?

Uh, to make money.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 07:04:45 PM »
Buzz said in the post game show that he will not play all the players against Cenentary. Yous cannot play for two games, so he is out. Williams did not get in the game today until there were 10 minutes left so he is out. Fronenza will be out. That leaves a rotation of nine players. If he goes to 8 than DJO is out.

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »

please teach the rest of us the method you use to make predictions

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 07:17:36 PM »
+1.  

MU just beat a team that was more suited to playing high school ball than against D1 talent.    

On the other hand, as I passed Henry Sugar on the way out, he said he'd done some statistical analysis of the first half, and he said he calculated us as winning the National Championship, based on our first half domination vs. MSOE.

Uh, to make money.
Thank you for your continued financial support of Marquette.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »
please teach the rest of us the method you use to make predictions

How about evaluating talent based upon decent competition?  Your opinions may be right or wrong; however, I feel I have a much better feel for MU from attending a few practices than I do from watching the game today.  At least in practice they're playing against D1 talent --- rather than D3. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 07:35:13 PM »

You're right.  In fact, I think Buzz and all of his assistants took this to be an absolute waste of their time.  I'm also shocked that people actually went to the Bradley Center, and these people that watched the game online?  Crazies.  Lock 'em up.  There is no way anyone, even the MU Avenue types that are undeniably great basketball minds, could have possibly taken anything away from watching this game.  I'm sure you'd agree with my petition - let's cancel all non-conference games except for the Old Spice classic and the NC State and Wisconsin games.  Centenary?   What could we possibly accomplish by playing them?!?!?

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »
 You're right.  In fact, I think Buzz and all of his assistants took this to be an absolute waste of their time.  I'm also shocked that people actually went to the Bradley Center, and these people that watched the game online?  Crazies.  Lock 'em up.  There is no way anyone, even the MU Avenue types that are undeniably great basketball minds, could have possibly taken anything away from watching this game.  I'm sure you'd agree with my petition - let's cancel all non-conference games except for the Old Spice classic and the NC State and Wisconsin games.  Centenary?   What could we possibly accomplish by playing them?!?!?
How do you know how good you are till you play them?  Or do we prefer just to remain in Disney land.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 08:36:58 PM »

You're funny, but your argument has nothing to do with what I said.  Do you happen to work spin rooms?

I'm sure Buzz took things from the game; however, I would argue those things are far different than what people on here are taking from it.  Buzz's comments on the game will be posted soon enough, and I'd bet we'll get the same type of thing we got from him last year, which in my opinion are mind games.  With such a young team, I would think any type of game experience is valuable; however, I wouldn't say we're able to tell ANYTHING most of us didn't already know about the MU players...especially those that have been around for a year or more.  I'm sure the BEAST coaches are watching this game tape as we speak to get a head start on prepping for MU :-)  

You think Buzz learns more about his players by watching them compete against each other in a single practice or play against MSOE?  Why does MU spend the money to travel to Virginia to scrimmage when it means they have to miss out on hosting another exhibition game which adds money to the program?  You keep evaluating MU's talent based on how they play against MSOE, and I'll keep living in the real world.  Like Hilltopper said...we should be NCAA champs this year (if we played D3 ;))

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 08:38:20 PM »
I like the idea of an exhibition as a tune up.  But might the team have been better served if we'd played a different (better) team?  How would members of this board characterize this game vs. exhibitions in years past?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 08:44:26 PM »
I like the idea of an exhibition as a tune up.  But might the team have been better served if we'd played a different (better) team?  How would members of this board characterize this game vs. exhibitions in years past?

I understand why they banned the scheduling of traveling teams, but those were much better...in my opinion.  So now teams play one and scrimmage with the other...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »
I'm sure Buzz took things from the game;
 You keep evaluating MU's talent based on how they play against MSOE, and I'll keep living in the real world.  

I get your point (that you're a silly stupidhead...and stuff) but come on.  You're upset that people make comments on the team after an exhibition game?  I didn't see any one person that said, "hi!  based on what I know about this team, which is only this game against MSOE, I have figured some things out, here they are....".  You think our head coach took things from this game -- apparently he didn't evaluate talent though - otherwise he'd be living in a non-real world.  
  I'm guessing you're a college student (the ; however, ).

David being able to knock down some shots would be great... I hope last year was just an off year due to the shoulders... Cooby slappin the floor on the defense and dances after a big shot are enough to give him some time.  

The scrimmages are great.  The Minnesota Golden Gophers just played Univ of Minn-Duluth and won by a million Thursday night.. they have a similar Minn state opponent on Monday.  In that respect, Marquette is much better off having played with/against another d-1 school instead of 2 formal games against bad teams.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 09:10:47 PM »
i know it's an exhibition, but did anyone else think that perimeter defense was really bad?

+1 - we had very little perimiter defense, and MSOE, though they could not get any other shots, had a lot of open, uncontested 3's and made more than they should have.  This is a concern and we need to fix it.  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:20:46 PM by Daniel »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 09:11:22 PM »
I like the idea of an exhibition as a tune up.  But might the team have been better served if we'd played a different (better) team?  How would members of this board characterize this game vs. exhibitions in years past?

I'd be down with a game against the Bucks. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »
 I get your point (that you're a silly stupidhead...and stuff) but come on.  You're upset that people make comments on the team after an exhibition game?  I didn't see any one person that said, "hi!  based on what I know about this team, which is only this game against MSOE, I have figured some things out, here they are....".  You think our head coach took things from this game -- apparently he didn't evaluate talent though - otherwise he'd be living in a non-real world.  
  I'm guessing you're a college student (the ; however, ).

David being able to knock down some shots would be great... I hope last year was just an off year due to the shoulders... Cooby slappin the floor on the defense and dances after a big shot are enough to give him some time.  

The scrimmages are great.  The Minnesota Golden Gophers just played Univ of Minn-Duluth and won by a million Thursday night.. they have a similar Minn state opponent on Monday.  In that respect, Marquette is much better off having played with/against another d-1 school instead of 2 formal games against bad teams.

As long as we're guessing at age.  I'll go with elementary judging from your stupidhead comment.

Good call with the Buycks being up and down this year.  That's a bold prediction for a player seeing his first year of D1 basketball in the BEAST.  Maybe you want to predict that JC doesn't start on Friday's opener as well. Glad you like Cooby's dance.  I personally don't go for that.  Not sure that makes me feel like we're still the Warriors, and I'm wondering what's on his mind while he does the dance.  He's probably thinking about finding his man in transition or the current situation of the game.  

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 12:29:20 AM »

I'd be down with a game against the Bucks. ;D

Or Athletes in Action.  I think Lawrence Funderberk plays for them nowadays.  And maybe scoonie penn.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »
i'm not saying he did a bad job. i was pleasantly surprised by him. i was arguing with the other poster who was using those stats to say that cooby could be a good BEast PG. i think that he will definitely be serviceable, but no where near good once BEast play starts

if you are referring to me, I never said that.  I said he had a good game, and could run the 1 if we NEED him to.

a certain someone (MR.H) doesn't read critically, and he tried to make it seem like I said Cooby is going to be the next great thing in the BEAST.

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 09:32:13 AM »
if you are referring to me, I never said that.  I said he had a good game, and could run the 1 if we NEED him to.

a certain someone (MR.H) doesn't read critically, and he tried to make it seem like I said Cooby is going to be the next great thing in the BEAST.

Cooby's inability to penetrate and break down a defense is the reason he is not a good PG.  Anyone can pad assist numbers if their teammates are hitting shots.  I've alway liked his defense, especially the way he pressures the ball.  I think Cooby will surprise a lot of people with his numbers, unfortunately he's still not a good PG.  Neither is Acker for that matter.  AWFUL defender and can't penetrate either.  Solid ball handler though and can hit some threes when left open. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 10:20:16 AM »
Cooby's inability to penetrate and break down a defense is the reason he is not a good PG.  Anyone can pad assist numbers if their teammates are hitting shots.  I've alway liked his defense, especially the way he pressures the ball.  I think Cooby will surprise a lot of people with his numbers, unfortunately he's still not a good PG.  Neither is Acker for that matter.  AWFUL defender and can't penetrate either.  Solid ball handler though and can hit some threes when left open. 

you prefer a Dom James PG, while I prefer someone who will run the offense and find the open guy... just different philosophies.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 10:47:54 AM »
you prefer a Dom James PG, while I prefer someone who will run the offense and find the open guy... just different philosophies.

+1. Coobie's ability to knock down an open 3 also means his defender has to play tighter defense allowing everyone else to have more open space on the floor to work against their defenders. Coobie will probably end up with a fair amount of assists based on his minutes just by finding the guy slashing to the basket and getting the ball to him.

feedback