'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's M2N Foul Dilemma  (Read 4373 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Wojo's M2N Foul Dilemma
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2018, 07:45:19 PM »
Is this an example for the posters that think "he tries to avoid contact, so when contact happens, the refs shouldn't call a foul"?

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/958063322305368064
Yes, that's not a clear foul.  His forward momentum is carrying him away from the contact.  If he had gone up more vertically it definitely would have a greater chance of being called a foul.  It also would have a greater chance of being blocked, so I understand what he's thinking.

The 2nd video at that link isn't a foul either.  He's pretty much out of control and tries to shoot a weak reverse layup from behind the backboard.  Refs are not going to bail him out on that without clear contact, which there wasn't. 

He needs to jump into the defender (like Brunson does) rather than try to get past him every time.  All it takes a slight advantage/path to the basket, then jump into the defender.  He will get more calls that way.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »
Yes, that's not a clear foul.  His forward momentum is carrying him away from the contact.  If he had gone up more vertically it definitely would have a greater chance of being called a foul.  It also would have a greater chance of being blocked, so I understand what he's thinking.

The 2nd video at that link isn't a foul either.  He's pretty much out of control and tries to shoot a weak reverse layup from behind the backboard.  Refs are not going to bail him out on that without clear contact, which there wasn't. 

He needs to jump into the defender (like Brunson does) rather than try to get past him every time.  All it takes a slight advantage/path to the basket, then jump into the defender.  He will get more calls that way.
Agree, but his lack of size is the issue.  Brunson is 4 or 5 inches taller and much thicker.  Just what it is.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »

Bo used to teach the high body nudge.  To me, this looked more like a foul on the floor by Donte on the reach.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 07:53:35 PM »
Agree, but his lack of size is the issue.  Brunson is 4 or 5 inches taller and much thicker.  Just what it is.
I agree.  Brunson is the example because he must have what I am describing 4 or five times in last night's game.  He has a physical advantage for sure.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »
Bo used to teach the high body nudge.  To me, this looked more like a foul on the floor by Donte on the reach.
to be honest I didn't even notice that.  I'll have to look at it again.

Edit: just looked at it again.  Donte didn't come within a foot of him in the videos at that link??

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 08:23:48 PM »
to be honest I didn't even notice that.  I'll have to look at it again.

Edit: just looked at it again.  Donte didn't come within a foot of him in the videos at that link??

Looks to me he hits him high on the arm, above the elbow on the 2nd reel as he swats.  Magruder?

In any regard, not much there.  What's interesting is Nova all collapses on Markus once he blows by, all taking a swipe at him. Protect the paint.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
Is this an example for the posters that think "he tries to avoid contact, so when contact happens, the refs shouldn't call a foul"?

No one said that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »

Defender with 2 hands on Howard's back as Howard is jumping. Defender extends his arms.

Maybe I just don't know what a foul is anymore.

To be fair to your view, if Howard jump-stops there, 1 or both of the defenders likely goes flying into/over him leading to a definite foul.