Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is DJO the best left-hander in MU history?  (Read 8858 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Is DJO the best left-hander in MU history?
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:38:15 PM »
I was thinking about this the other night. He might be.

Off the top of my head, I can include Trever Powell in the top 5. Was Walter Downing lefty? I know Anglavar was a southpaw, but I'm not ready to include him on any "best of" lists. Anybody else I'm forgetting?

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Is DJO the best left-hander in MU history?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
No, that would be me.   ;D

Oh, you meant basketball players......
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
Benny Moore, Kerry Trotter
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
Burton might just be better than all of 'em put together.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »
Nice call 4ever...might be right. I would take Trotter for my vote. Powell was a decent player on horrible time in our history. Loved Benny Moore but DJO is better.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
DJO is better then Trotter was.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:21:57 PM »
Was Mike Flory a lefty?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »
Yep Flory was a lefty.

Odell Ball?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:33:37 PM »
Rosey was still the best shooting left hander ever at MU, IMHO.  May have been the best shooter period.  If only they had a 3 point line back then.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 06:58:34 PM »
DJO is better then Trotter was.

Significantly better.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
KT was solid.  A really nice player.   Smoove.    But ge was no DJO.   No chance he would have been a potential first team Big East player (or the equivalent in his day).

romey

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »
Good question.  I can't recall anyone during the McGuire era that was lefty off the top of my head other than Gary Rosenberger and as MuMac said, he may have been the best pure shooter in MU history or maybe second behind Novak.  I definitely give DJO the nod over Trotter.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »
Rosey was still the best shooting left hander ever at MU, IMHO.  May have been the best shooter period.  If only they had a 3 point line back then.

He was nothing but net. What a career he would have had if there was a three.

groove

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 07:34:57 PM »
I think Maurice Lucas was left handed. He was a better player than DJO.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 07:37:07 PM »
Burton might just be better than all of 'em put together.

I hope you're right.  I only saw 1 game of his and it was only his 2nd game back after being cleared to play this year, but he did not have a good game against Pius last month.  He looked like a (much) less explosive, physically stronger JP Tokoto.  His shot is flat, slow developing, and not good.  He's definitely an athlete, but we know the struggles that wings can have in the Big East if they have a tough time putting the ball in the hoop from the perimeter (see: Blue, Vander).  He's still a junior so there is definitely time for him to fix his shot, but it definitely needs quite a bit of work.  For example, I believe he was 5 for 13 from the free throw line.  I guess he'll fit right in...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »
I think Maurice Lucas was left handed. He was a better player than DJO.

Luke was not left handed

groove

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 08:17:50 PM »
Luke was not left handed

On further review you are correct. My bad.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »
On the contrary, Maurice was quite adept holding dudes out McCormick Hall windows with his left hand.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
Let's just end this debate right now.  Yes.  DJO=best MU lefty ever.

Ever.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 11:14:57 PM »
Ok.  But I can't let this go- the Trottet memoriea flooding back  KT could have been the best if he hadn't missed his free throw (our best FT shooter) with 10 seconds left and a 2 point lead at ND with a chance to clinch the game so we would have been 1-5 for my time at MU vs. ND.  Instead, he misses, and I blacked out and have never been able to recover the memory of the last 10 seconds, though I was told that we lost.  0-6.   So, Class of 2012, appreciate what we have now.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 12:04:58 AM »
Ok.  But I can't let this go- the Trottet memoriea flooding back  KT could have been the best if he hadn't missed his free throw (our best FT shooter) with 10 seconds left and a 2 point lead at ND with a chance to clinch the game so we would have been 1-5 for my time at MU vs. ND.  Instead, he misses, and I blacked out and have never been able to recover the memory of the last 10 seconds, though I was told that we lost.  0-6.   So, Class of 2012, appreciate what we have now.

Seems like you and I (and Tower 912, if I recall) suffered through the same MU years.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Tim Maymon's son?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 12:48:42 AM »

I second this.  A little story about Rosey.  I was playing ball at Hyde Park in Tosa, on my team were Allie, Jerry Homen, and Ace Vollmer.  I guarded Rosey because
he never drove to the hoop and I am sort of short.  That day it was windy, really windy.  I stated to my team, don't worry there is no way Rosey is going to go off
today.  Lets just say he scored about 36 points all from the outside that day with no 3 point line.  To this day I am still amazed about that day!  Best I have ever
seen.  The other great shooter no one will remember is a kid at Shorewood named John Rinka, he was the best right handed shooter ever.  Go to wikipedia to get some
info about him.  I saw him destroy Dean Memminger and even Al stated it was the biggest mistake he made in recruiting, he averaged like 41 points a game in college and
was in SI with Calvin Murphy, Rick Mount and Pete Maravich, nice company.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »
BCHoopster--Nice Rosey story. We sure could use him on this team. He had big time range.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »
BCHoopster--Nice Rosey story. We sure could use him on this team. He had big time range.

Did Rosey ever start a game other than Senior Night?  Best 6th man ever.  DJO is by far the best overall southpaw, not even close.  My question:  Has any MU coach signed more lefties than Buzz?  Roseboro, Maymon, DJO, TJ Taylor, Burton...  It would be interesting to understand why he goes left so often...there has to be some statistical reason up in his wired mind in terms of a role within his offense.

btw, DJO is naturally right handed but shoots lefty.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Dr. B--I am not so sure Rosey ever started a game. Al kept same lineup from opening game until end of season. Not sure on best 6th man ever, but pretty big role player on a team full of studs.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
Did Rosey ever start a game other than Senior Night?  Best 6th man ever.  DJO is by far the best overall southpaw, not even close.  My question:  Has any MU coach signed more lefties than Buzz?  Roseboro, Maymon, DJO, TJ Taylor, Burton...  It would be interesting to understand why he goes left so often...there has to be some statistical reason up in his wired mind in terms of a role within his offense.

As really a pretty good lefty shooter, I am only 5'6", but I never had an outside shot blocked being lefty.  I have been more than surprised to see DJO shot once in awhile get
blocked as he has a slow release.  More often then not, the defenders play lefties straight up but it just seems easier to get shots off.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
Seems like you and I (and Tower 912, if I recall) suffered through the same MU years.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Tim Maymon's son?

Trying to remember through the years of repression, was that the set up for the David Rivers jumper or the Dolan tip in?    If memory serves, that was the David Rivers 17 footer and David Boone missed the FT that led to the Dolan tip in.     0-8.   Yup.   No scars there.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

muzzwilliams

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »
Def has the biggest chin in MU history.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 07:11:17 PM »
Tower, they sort of blend together (could it have been Boothe and not Trotter at the line? Yep)  but  I remember Rivers and Dolan beating us, and I think Dolan did it twice (once in Milwaukee the weekend we were returning from Christmas break).   My 4 years were 82 to 86, and the only blessing was that we only played them 6 times (we stopped the home and home in 85, I think), and I don't think he did it against anyone else in his career, probably all the way back to grade school. Just had out number.  Saw all but one of them in person.   By the way, I was Tower 1112, I think, do that may have been me making all that noise above you. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 08:02:57 PM »
I was there 84-88, in tower912 for 2 years 85-87.    Rivers hit the game winner in January of '85.   Boone was not with the team yet.     I thought Trotter hit a J to put us up one with a few seconds left in that one.   A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.   

mug644

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
I was also there 84-88 (in Tower, 407?, 85-86). Yes, 0-8 against ND. Sour memories focus on David Rivers, albeit with the admission that I would've loved him on our team.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
I think that it will be Deonte Burton.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 03:54:06 PM »
I was there 84-88, in tower912 for 2 years 85-87.    Rivers hit the game winner in January of '85.   Boone was not with the team yet.     I thought Trotter hit a J to put us up one with a few seconds left in that one.   A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.   

I graduated in '86.  Boone missed those throws at ND.  We road tripped to the game.  He was a great player.  Met him in the late 90's at  USF game (lived in SF then) and he was a real gentleman.  I also don't think he any taller than 6'3".

🏀

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »
Matt Mortensen? He scored a sweet post-grad job at Abercrombie and Fitch last June.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »

Rosey was an awesome 6th man, but our best ever probably was Bernard Toone of the '77 national champs. As noted, once Al settled on a starting lineup he didn't change things - so Bill Neary got the starts but Toone got the minutes, especially in our tournament run.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »
Rosey was an awesome 6th man, but our best ever probably was Bernard Toone of the '77 national champs. As noted, once Al settled on a starting lineup he didn't change things - so Bill Neary got the starts but Toone got the minutes, especially in our tournament run.

Rosey though was always the 6th man over the seasons.  BT wasn't even the first forward in until Ulice broke his wrist.  No question about BT in the tourney run but it was Rosey who iced it with the FT's...with the help of Al jabbing him in the arm in the huddle.   ;D

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
With the Duane Wilson verbal, Buzz now has an entire class of southpaws.  Looking back at A&M, Acie Law and DeAndre Jordan also shot from the odd side.  MU could have an entire three guard line up of lefties for two seasons.  Consider this:

• 7-10% of the population is left handed
  • One in four of Buzz recruits are lefties, and he was/is in deep with Hood, Nunn, McGary
Why does Buzz recruit at three times the normal rate?  What does he see in the lefthanders?  Is it spacing on the floor?  A natural edge for lefties to get off a shot or pass?  It does seem that some of MU's best shooters as we discussed were southpaws.  I found this article that talks about the "Left Handed Advantage" that does seem to confirm an advantage in 1:1 sports or situations for the southpaws...and also perhaps some of the oddball behavior.  :D

This is no coincidence by Buzz.  Just shows how detailed the man is.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=498707&page=1
\
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:09:15 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
Best 6th man ever. 

Rosenberger was more like the 7th man. Remember, Neary started ahead of Toone and Ulice came in before Rosenberger.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
Djo has tricked you all, remember he is actually right handed. He just shot left handed to give our opponents a chance!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »
Def has the biggest chin in MU history.

Always thought he looked like Bubba from Forrest Gump because of that jaw thrust
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:39:43 PM by warthog-driver »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 03:46:49 PM »
With the Duane Wilson verbal, Buzz now has an entire class of southpaws.  Looking back at A&M, Acie Law and DeAndre Jordan also shot from the odd side.  MU could have an entire three guard line up of lefties for two seasons.  Consider this:

• 7-10% of the population is left handed
  • One in four of Buzz recruits are lefties, and he was/is in deep with Hood, Nunn, McGary
Why does Buzz recruit at three times the normal rate?  What does he see in the lefthanders?  Is it spacing on the floor?  A natural edge for lefties to get off a shot or pass?  It does seem that some of MU's best shooters as we discussed were southpaws.  I found this article that talks about the "Left Handed Advantage" that does seem to confirm an advantage in 1:1 sports or situations for the southpaws...and also perhaps some of the oddball behavior.  :D

This is no coincidence by Buzz.  Just shows how detailed the man is.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=498707&page=1
\

Duane Wilson is a righty.  I can see where you got that from though.  Almost all of his dunks are lefty, but he shoots right.  Kind of a mirror image of DJO (shot left, dunked/did everything else right).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0N92_Siwg

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »
Duane Wilson is a righty.  I can see where you got that from though.  Almost all of his dunks are lefty, but he shoots right.  Kind of a mirror image of DJO (shot left, dunked/did everything else right).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0N92_Siwg
Thanks..i was watching vids and thought that.  Wow, talented.

Bama, can you do a WC on lefties vs. right?  ;)

Wart, Rosey was 6th man senior year, no?  Pretty sure...you are right in 77.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 04:04:57 PM »
Wart, Rosey was 6th man senior year, no?  Pretty sure...you are right in 77.

Rosenberger was the 7th man off the bench after Payne in 77. Neary started and I think his job was to antagonize the other team. Rosenberger, though, played in very specific situations. Sometimes Byrd and Ball came in before him. I recall Al saying that Robert Byrd was the most gifted athlete he ever recruited. Of coourse, Al said a lot of things but he did make that comment.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
Bubba Darius

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »

+1 for any Bernard Toone reference!

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2012, 01:43:22 PM »
In the back of my mind, I thought there was another left hander that played for Buzz. Was Wes Matthews a lefty? If he was, he is better than DJO.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:35:57 PM by bilsu »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
In the back of my mind, I thought there was another left hander that plyaed for Buzz. Was Wes Matthews a lefty? If he was, he is better than DJO.

Really?  I mean... really?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »
Really?  I mean... really?
Obviously, he wasn't lefty. I will also say DJO was a better college player than Wesley anyway.

feedback