collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Urbanism  (Read 1118 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: New Urbanism
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2023, 08:14:56 AM »
None of the scenarios have the removal of the Hoan as an option.  Not sure where that idea was started.

It's 1.3 miles from the lake to the Marquette interchange.  794 is a very efficient way to get people around at ~60mph.    This alternative removes about 1.3 miles of freeway and replaces it with a boulevard .. future average speeds would be ~20mph with stoplights, so instead of taking 1.5 minutes, it'll take ~4.

The argument for keeping it as-is, is that it's efficient and speedy, and the motoring public love it.   

The argument for the boulevard is that it's cheaper, opens development, and a few minutes more travel isn't that burdensome.

It's obvious what's going to happen.  794 is coming down.  There will be uproar and letter writing campaigns, but in the end none of that will matter.   The urbanists will get their way.

I'm calling it now:  #donedeal

Whatever baby boomers don’t want done, that’s the option I would choose.  #owntheboomers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2023, 08:26:56 AM »
None of the scenarios have the removal of the Hoan as an option.  Not sure where that idea was started.

It's 1.3 miles from the lake to the Marquette interchange.  794 is a very efficient way to get people around at ~60mph.    This alternative removes about 1.3 miles of freeway and replaces it with a boulevard .. future average speeds would be ~20mph with stoplights, so instead of taking 1.5 minutes, it'll take ~4.

The argument for keeping it as-is, is that it's efficient and speedy, and the motoring public love it.   

The argument for the boulevard is that it's cheaper, opens development, and a few minutes more travel isn't that burdensome.

It's obvious what's going to happen.  794 is coming down.  There will be uproar and letter writing campaigns, but in the end none of that will matter.   The urbanists will get their way.

I'm calling it now:  #donedeal

Agreed on all counts.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2023, 09:58:44 AM »
After the World Series earthquake, SF tore down The Embarcadero Freeway. It opened up the city to the bay and with it incredible development. I feel this would be the same. 

Now if MKE could do this with a traffic plan it might be successful. Why do they have to have a timed red light at every corner, including on Sunday AMs? Smart technology, urban planners!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2023, 10:00:23 AM »
Heard NM's CEO speak on this recently.  He did bring up the issue of the bridges on St. Paul, Clybourn, Michigan etc.

It's a decent point. I think if you suspend bridge raising during rush hour, it's no brainer. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2023, 06:49:12 AM »
After the World Series earthquake, SF tore down The Embarcadero Freeway. It opened up the city to the bay and with it incredible development. I feel this would be the same. 

Now if MKE could do this with a traffic plan it might be successful. Why do they have to have a timed red light at every corner, including on Sunday AMs? Smart technology, urban planners!

+1.  There is a real opportunity to remove an expensive expressway that is an eyesore and make the city smarter. 

MU82

• All American
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2023, 07:36:20 AM »
Kohl's opened a new store right downtown.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2023/11/03/kohls-opens-downtown-milwaukee-store-in-time-for-holiday-shopping-season/71412027007/

Strange location away from their core demographic. I don't think there are many 45 year old soccer moms downtown.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2023, 07:37:10 AM »

Strange location away from their core demographic. I don't think there are many 45 year old soccer moms downtown.
Do they sell Stevie Mitchell jerseys?

feedback