collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: iOS Download Times  (Read 4916 times)

GOO

• All American
iOS Download Times
« on: September 19, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »
I guess the good news is that I am able to download iOS 6 today, as I know Apple servers are swamped, as always for a new iOS.  The bad news is that it looks like it will take 2 hours to download via iTunes.  I didn't try the over the air download just in case there is a problem with the download, not sure if that would have been any faster, but I doubt it.

GOO

• All American
Re: iOS Download Times
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
In reply to myself, in case anyone wants to know, the process was long but smooth (over 2 hours total).  No error or timed out messages.  Up an running on iOS 6.0.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
Enjoy all of those features you could have had a year and a half ago on Android!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
Enjoy all of those features you could have had a year and a half ago on Android!

Nerd fight!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:57:32 AM »
about 15 minutes today OTA.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
I've liked Apple and will stick with it for now.  It was a close call between the 4s and SII last fall, however.  I've been happy I stayed with Apple.

Now, with the crappy maps app that Apple threw out too early, when I get a new phone, I will have to look at Samsung once again.  The SIII is a nice phone, nice big screen, but maybe a little too big for what I use it for.

I prefer Apple, and I prefer to support more jobs in the USA then in Korea (ya, they are both made in China, and yes Samsung does employ some in TX, etc, but overall I try to support US companies, all else being equal, especially given the number of good jobs Apple keeps in the US).  But, if the maps app isn't greatly improved in the next year it will be a big mark against staying with Apple.

I won't get into the Android/Apple stuff, I just prefer to have features that work well, are well thought out and executed, and don't take time to figure our/learn. That is what I like about Apple.  They normally don't throw out a feature that isn't ready or a phone that has a feature that hogs battery power, etc.  That is why the new maps app is frustrating.  The back-end of the maps App isn't where it needs to be, especially for an Apple product.

Edit: Now that it has been explained to me, Apple knew of the issue, but decided they needed their own map and wanted to get away from Google (of course).  Apple knew there would be growing pains until users provided updated data/information on locations.  Google has 7 years of user data, etc, and the google maps took 5 plus years to get up to speed with mapquest.  Apple thinks they can get caught up in a year or two.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:58:41 PM by GOO »

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:59:17 PM »
About 25 minutes for me yesterday.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »
Getting ready to download to my Iphone 4S.  Once it is complete, do you have to do anything else to phone, like re-program anything?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 06:58:31 AM »
I am kinda kicking myself now for downloading it.  The new maps are eh, and has been a battery drain, usually when I get home from work I am around 35-40%, yesterday under 10%.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »
Getting ready to download to my Iphone 4S.  Once it is complete, do you have to do anything else to phone, like re-program anything?

My email wouldn't come into my phone.  I contacted my service provider who told me they got a memo this morning advising deleting the mail account and reinstalling it with the exact settings.  That worked and it's all good.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 08:01:50 AM »
My email wouldn't come into my phone.  I contacted my service provider who told me they got a memo this morning advising deleting the mail account and reinstalling it with the exact settings.  That worked and it's all good.

Thanks, but what email do you use?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 09:18:38 AM »
So all you young and computer savvy scoopers, I just bought a 4s. What is the verdict?  Should I download ios6 or will it probe to be more trouble than it is worth.  I use my phone mostly for email, weather, and various apps.  Not heavy duty stuff.

Thanks.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »
Thanks, but what email do you use?
it's my own domain hosted by InMotionHosting.com.  I've talked to others who use other providers and hosts who have not had the problem.  But that's the only tweak I've had to make after upgrading to ios6.

I take it back.  In my mail, I used to be able to delete emails.  Now I have to move them to the trash as opposed to deleting them.  Anyone else have this problem or have a fix?

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »
it's my own domain hosted by InMotionHosting.com.  I've talked to others who use other providers and hosts who have not had the problem.  But that's the only tweak I've had to make after upgrading to ios6.

I take it back.  In my mail, I used to be able to delete emails.  Now I have to move them to the trash as opposed to deleting them.  Anyone else have this problem or have a fix?

I use hotmail, so maybe not an issue.  I have delayed downloading due to some of the issues, like the map, that have come up overnight.  I will give it a few days and see what others say in this thread.  Currently, the 4S works great with the system I have.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 10:06:32 AM »
If you use google maps a lot and need it, I'd wait to download iOS 6.  Otherwise, I'd download it now. 
A suggestion from what I've read:  Sync your phone to intunes on a computer, then download iOS 6 to itunes on a computer and then update the phone.  It is supposed to be a full restore and run cleaner (this is from a third party).

Other than the maps app, iOS 6 is great and I've had no problems.  The map app is going to take months or a year to get up to a decent quality as people use it and report errors, suggest businesses to add, etc.  E.g for a local business search, Google has years of search data, etc, and corrections so they show a lot of businesses.  Apple will show few.   

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
The maps to give voice guided turn by turn instructions which were not available before.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »
Haven't updated yet... can you still use google maps ok through Safari/the web browser?

I manage to find myself in some fairly seedy and strange neighborhoods at odd hours - really would like to be able to still use google maps as it's been helpful in the past.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 02:43:10 PM »
I never recommend downloading a major iOS revision immediately upon release unless one of the following applies:

1) You are having problems with the iOS that is currently on your phone & the new iOS version has a known fix, or
2) There's a new app, function, feature, etc. that is only available with the new iOS and you absolutely have to have it.

If you still have 4.2.1, by all means get 6.0.  If you can't live without crAppleMaps, then pull the trigger.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason the average iPhone user has to download the newest iOS the second it comes out.  Take a deep breath, relax, and let other people deal with the bugs; when 6.0.1 is released in a week or two, then jump on the wagon.

FWIW - I'm still running iOS 5.0.1.  Granted, my phone is jail broken, but it goes to show that there's nothing wrong with the old iOS versions.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
Haven't updated yet... can you still use google maps ok through Safari/the web browser?

I manage to find myself in some fairly seedy and strange neighborhoods at odd hours - really would like to be able to still use google maps as it's been helpful in the past.

Yes, try it out first if you want: maps.google.com  Then click on the the arrow button at the bottom of safari, swipe to page two of the options and create a short cut (which looks just like an app button). 

The turn by turn is great and well executed as far as style points go... but the local stuff is missing and I just don't fully trust the apple maps app to get me where I'm going just yet... (you know, the most important thing!).  The good news is that Apple has not buried its head in the sand and is working on the maps issues.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 10:59:05 PM »

Must be callin' on a lot of Aspen clinics.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"