collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is UW a destination job?  (Read 2696 times)

M@RQUETTEW@RRIORS

• Team Captain
Is UW a destination job?
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:54:53 AM »
Posted this on the other site as well:

Let's just assume for a minute that anyone else besides Bo Ryan took the UW hoops coaching job.  Would it be a destination if a big 6 job came open?  Let's say it was Buzz who took the UW job(I know UW fans, Buzz would never get the UW job.  Yada yada).  But lets say a guy like Buzz had the UW job and Texas came calling. Indiana, UNC, UCLA etc.  Would UW be enough of a destination to keep him around?  I say no.  I think the only reason UW appears to be as much of a big time job(probably only to UW fans) is because of the unique individual who took the job, Bo Ryan.  They will be immune to the coaching roller coaster only as long as Ryan is there.   It appears after this week that even their football job is nowhere even close to a destination when their guy leaves for a mid-level sec job...

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: Is UW a destination job?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »
They are more likely to keep their coaches, and for longer, but UW is not a basketball destination job in the slightest.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

JD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:03:38 AM »
Was that a serious question?  ?-(

How do you even put Madison in the same sentence as IU, UNC, UCLA...
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 09:04:00 AM »
They are more likely to keep their coaches, and for longer, but UW is not a basketball destination job in the slightest.

Correct.

Absolutely not a destination job.  Its a job that old guys take to run their old stodgy offense and then retire, and hope someone else does the same.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 09:22:16 AM »
Of course not. Here's my list of true "not gonna leave to go anywhere" jobs:

Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, UCLA

That's it. That's the list. Six schools that no one in their right mind would ever leave, unless it was for a job at another of those six schools (i.e. Roy Williams Kansas > UNC) or in the NBA. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd put Kansas on that list, and they're a true superpower.

After that, I'd say these are pretty close to destination jobs:

Louisville, Arizona, Ohio State, Michigan State, Syracuse, Connecticut

Louisville for me is definitely closest to that next tier with Arizona and Ohio State close behind. The rest are huge programs, but largely destination schools because of the coaches they've had (Izzo, Boeheim, Calhoun).

Past that, destinations are at best situational. Georgetown is a destination for the Thompson family, UW is a destination for an in-state lifer like Bo, Gonzaga is a destination for a guy happy as a mid-major king like Few, and Marquette may be a destination for someone who is passionately religious and a bit quirky like Buzz.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »
Wisconsin isn't a destination job in any sport.

JD

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:48:17 AM »

+1,000,000
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »

Not true. I think they are definitely a destination job in hockey.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 09:51:27 AM »

That's it. That's the list. Six schools that no one in their right mind would ever leave, unless it was for a job at another of those six schools (i.e. Roy Williams Kansas > UNC) or in the NBA. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd put Kansas on that list, and they're a true superpower.

Louisville for me is definitely closest to that next tier with Arizona and Ohio State close behind. The rest are huge programs, but largely destination schools because of the coaches they've had (Izzo, Boeheim, Calhoun).

Past that, destinations are at best situational. Georgetown is a destination for the Thompson family, UW is a destination for an in-state lifer like Bo, Gonzaga is a destination for a guy happy as a mid-major king like Few, and Marquette may be a destination for someone who is passionately religious and a bit quirky like Buzz.

Nicely put.

I think there are some others worth mentioning (FL, Michigan, Texas), but your general premise is perfect.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »
Nicely put.

I think there are some others worth mentioning (FL, Michigan, Texas), but your general premise is perfect.

I'd probably put them in that situational category. I think if one of the top six came calling for Donovan or Barnes, they'd be gone. And Michigan has never had a single basketball coach last more than 13 years. Even Johnny Orr left for another job. By the same token, I could see UConn, Syracuse, or some of those other second tier schools tumbling down to situational with just one or two bad hires.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 10:11:28 AM »

Agreed, with one modification, "not gonna leave to go anywhere except somewhere else on this list" and one caveat, "currently."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 10:15:37 AM »

I'd probably put them in that situational category. I think if one of the top six came calling for Donovan or Barnes, they'd be gone. And Michigan has never had a single basketball coach last more than 13 years. Even Johnny Orr left for another job. By the same token, I could see UConn, Syracuse, or some of those other second tier schools tumbling down to situational with just one or two bad hires.

Correct, UT, FL and MI are definitely in the secondary category.

FL and UT are good gigs simply due to athletic budget and sheer size.

MI is a pretty attractive gig because of the location and tradition. It's not IU, but it's also not far behind Ohio State, especially if they land the right coach.

I also agree that Syracuse might struggle post-Boeheim. That school is so closely tied to it's coach that it will be tough to move forward. Same for UCONN.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »

Donovan was heavily courted by UK post-Tubby, pre-Gillispie and turned them down.  Not saying that's now the rule, but I think in general the allure of the big 6 is fading.  Obviously it's still there for most, but schools that can throw support behind a program can land and retain a good coach fairly well, plus some coaches enjoy the reduced expectations as compared to a UK or Kansas or Indiana, etc.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
I might be more inclined to include Michigan State ahead of Michigan.
They've had two coaches in the past 36 years, and only five in the past 58 seasons. And One of those coaches, Izzo, has spurned numerous opportunities to go elsewhere, including the NBA.
I don't think a coach has left MSU voluntarily for another program since Pete Newell in the 50s.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:38:13 AM by Pakuni »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
It wasn't even a destination job for Bo a few years ago when he looked elsewhere.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 10:34:57 AM »
Donovan was heavily courted by UK post-Tubby, pre-Gillispie and turned them down.  Not saying that's now the rule, but I think in general the allure of the big 6 is fading.  Obviously it's still there for most, but schools that can throw support behind a program can land and retain a good coach fairly well, plus some coaches enjoy the reduced expectations as compared to a UK or Kansas or Indiana, etc.

He also spurned the Orlando Magic.

In 15 years (maybe not even that long), I think Florida might be looked at similar to Syracuse and UCONN (up until this year)--a program that's closely identified with their coach, but not one of the top 6. Crazy to think he's been there 17 years already.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
Correct, UT, FL and MI are definitely in the secondary category.

FL and UT are good gigs simply due to athletic budget and sheer size.

MI is a pretty attractive gig because of the location and tradition. It's not IU, but it's also not far behind Ohio State, especially if they land the right coach.

I also agree that Syracuse might struggle post-Boeheim. That school is so closely tied to it's coach that it will be tough to move forward. Same for UCONN.

FL and TX also benefit greatly from the quality and quantity of the HS talent in their state.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »

Your (lack of) age shows here.  Michigan State, Syracuse, Connecticut are "largely destination schools because of the coaches they've had."  Have you checked out Duke's record before Coach K got there?  The thought of playing Duke used to bore North Carolina fans.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
It wasn't even a destination job for Bo a few years ago when he looked elsewhere.

And before hiring Bo, UW was turned down by Ben Braun and Rick Majerus.
Can't imagine UNC, Duke or Kansas (or even Florida or Texas) being rejected by Ben Braun.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 10:46:02 AM »
Your (lack of) age shows here.  Michigan State, Syracuse, Connecticut are "largely destination schools because of the coaches they've had."  Have you checked out Duke's record before Coach K got there?  The thought of playing Duke used to bore North Carolina fans.

As a matter of fact, I have. Vic Bubas propelled them from successful to national power in the 1960s. Prior to Coach K's arrival they had 20 conference regular season and tournament championships, 4 trips to the Final Four, and 2 runner-up finishes. He's augmented them to be sure, but Duke was a top program before his arrival and has become a destination program since his arrival. Don't forget, Duke was the national runner-up just 2 years before Coach K arrived. It's not like he came to a middle-of-the-road ACC school and built them into the premier program in the country. Bubas and Foster had already laid the groundwork.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »
As a matter of fact, I have. Vic Bubas propelled them from successful to national power in the 1960s. Prior to Coach K's arrival they had 20 conference regular season and tournament championships, 4 trips to the Final Four, and 2 runner-up finishes. He's augmented them to be sure, but Duke was a top program before his arrival and has become a destination program since his arrival. Don't forget, Duke was the national runner-up just 2 years before Coach K arrived. It's not like he came to a middle-of-the-road ACC school and built them into the premier program in the country. Bubas and Foster had already laid the groundwork.

I stand corrected.  I only knew of the period between Bubas and Foster which was bad.  Foster was unable to work the same magic later at Northwestern which I guess also proves your point.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
It was not a destination job for Dick Bennett. I think a lot of coaches move on, because they see the writing on the wall. That, I believe is what happen with Bielema (sp). He would still be there, if he had won a few more games in recent years. Fans, AD's, school presidents get dis inchanted with coaches and it changes a coach's perspective. I think two year's ago MU was a destination job for Buzz. Change in management above him with corresponding player problems has probably changed that. Assuming Texas job opens up it does not equate with him getting the job even if he wants it. At this point I am not sure how good of a season MU is going to have this year. The worse the season the less chance Texas will want him. There also should be a lot of competition for the Texas job. I certainly think they would take brad Stevens over Buzz. I do not see Butler as a destination job for Stevens and eventually he will be willing to move on. I think Stevens originally was going to hold on for the Indiana job. However, with Crean's recent success he is out of luck there. If Indiana is his dream job, then he most likely would take a job that is not a Big 10 job with hope of getting Indiana job in the future.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 11:32:09 AM »
Even with a bad year, Buzz won't lose his luster this season. Back-to-back Sweet 16s and then a down season when he lost 2 guys to the NBA? Look at Crean...sure, he had the NCAA streak, but he was many years removed from his only run past the first weekend. Buzz probably has 2-3 years where as long as he's making the tourney he'll still be viewed as a hot commodity. Especially for anyone who looks at how well he's recruited here.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
Even with a bad year, Buzz won't lose his luster this season. Back-to-back Sweet 16s and then a down season when he lost 2 guys to the NBA? Look at Crean...sure, he had the NCAA streak, but he was many years removed from his only run past the first weekend. Buzz probably has 2-3 years where as long as he's making the tourney he'll still be viewed as a hot commodity. Especially for anyone who looks at how well he's recruited here.
The why would the Texas job open up? Barnes has not been horrible and has a very young team.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
The why would the Texas job open up? Barnes has not been horrible and has a very young team.

I was just responding to what you wrote...

Assuming Texas job opens up it does not equate with him getting the job even if he wants it. At this point I am not sure how good of a season MU is going to have this year. The worse the season the less chance Texas will want him. There also should be a lot of competition for the Texas job.

If we assume Texas were to open, I don't think Buzz would lose his luster even if we went 15-16 and missed the NIT.