'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UConn is good.  (Read 6105 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: UConn is good.
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2024, 10:01:53 PM »
A lot more deflated than I would have thought. The uncertainty of Tyler doubles the sting of this loss: and the uncertainty of these next couple games and tanking to a 4 seed triples the sting. Anyone got a silver lining. :0

No further injuries?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2024, 10:03:14 PM »
I mean the call was clearly to get Jop a look at the 3 point line. The problem with the call is UCONN would’ve given up an uncontested layup in order to prevent any MU 3 point attempt. And Shaka has to know that. So Jop was going to have to put the ball on the deck there. Needed to run it for Kam, who can at least create some space off the bounce.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2024, 10:03:28 PM »
I wasn’t. I’ve been saying since the Sean Jones injury that we’d need a transfer point guard next year.
Well I wasn’t replying directly to you…lots of posts about it.

I thought Tre played pretty well tonight. Was really disappointed with Chase and Jolp.

warriors141

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2024, 10:04:26 PM »
A lot more deflated than I would have thought. The uncertainty of Tyler doubles the sting of this loss: and the uncertainty of these next couple games and tanking to a 4 seed triples the sting. Anyone got a silver lining. :0

really gotta hope tyler can get healthy or this 2 year run we have had will have one of the most disappointing ends I have watched at MU. with the last however many years since our elite 8 that is saying something

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2024, 10:05:05 PM »
Tre Norman is going to be awesome.  Always in the right spot on D and starting to get comfortable offensively.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2024, 10:05:11 PM »

I thought Tre played pretty well tonight. Was really disappointed with Chase and Jolp.

I agree, I think Tre will be a solid contributor the next 3 years. I’m just not sold he’s a point guard.

I know we won’t have a Tyler Kolek level point guard. But we need someone who can collapse a defense some and dish out of it. That’s not on the roster. Shaka’s ability to develop his players makes it possible to find from within, but I have my doubts based on what I’ve seen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2024, 10:05:21 PM »

I’m giving Chase a pass tonight again. I am betting he is still recovering from a nasty bug.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2024, 10:06:19 PM »
I’m giving Chase a pass tonight again. I am betting he is still recovering from a nasty bug.

That’s what I think as well.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2024, 10:08:30 PM »
OT:

Just like vs Creighton, it's super hard to retool an offense overnight.

With TK, it's hugely ball screen/PnR.

I'm not sure I see Sean or Tre (or anyone else on the roster) able to run a ball screen offense.

So, back to the Nevada Smith drawing board?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2024, 10:10:12 PM »
We need to find better flow in our h-c sets without Tyko.  Lots of Iso ball and I feel like we are playing too fast.

MUJunkie

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2024, 10:10:31 PM »
-Too much help defense. Leaving UConn guys wide open from 3.

-Jop needs to hit the dribble versa equivalent this off season. So hard to watch. No control.

-Needed to get more open looks from 3 but it just didn’t happen. Kudos to UConn D.

-Would have loved to see a little more dribble drive from gold

-I think we win that game with Kolek. Not worried.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2024, 10:11:13 PM »
UConn is bigger, faster, stronger.

They move, pass and cut super well.

They stay locked in on defense.

Hard team to beat. Harder without an all American.

Proud of the boys. Many times could have packed it in.

Get lost in the fight. Choose violence.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2024, 10:13:46 PM »
Beat Xavier this weekend, win one or more game(s) in the BET, get Tyler back healthy, and MU will be flying high going into the main event.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2024, 10:15:18 PM »
I wasn’t. I’ve been saying since the Sean Jones injury that we’d need a transfer point guard next year.

Many thought that Stevie and Kam (if he returns) can handle the PG duties next year.  In the last two games both of them, along with Oso brought the ball up and handled the PG positions.  Tre Norman did not.

To show what a good PG or the lack of one, can do to eliminate a stagnant offense here are the results of the last two games without Kolek:

Creighton game:   CU 19 assists, MU 7 assists
UCONN game:UCONN 18 assists, MU 8 assists

Heck, Kolek averages 7 per game by himself.  CU has Alexander, UCONN has Newton, etc.  Maybe over the summer, someone on the roster can learn the concept of PG play and be a better facilitator. Not to the extent of a Kolek, but suitable and hope Shaka can land one of his 2025 PG targets.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2024, 10:18:40 PM »
MU held UConn to 2 points in the final 7 minutes.

Wow

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2024, 10:20:08 PM »
Zero chance MU doesn’t add another guard for next year if Kolek heads for the NBA.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2024, 10:20:23 PM »
MU held UConn to 2 points in the final 7 minutes.

Wow

I think they scored 4 points the final 8 mins. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2024, 10:21:37 PM »
MU has a great 10 second offense.  After that, middling.  If you want to be elite, MU also needs a half court offense.  On Shaka and Nevada. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2024, 10:23:34 PM »
MU has a great 10 second offense.  After that, middling.  If you want to be elite, MU also needs a half court offense.  On Shaka and Nevada.

We had an elite offense last season. We’ve had a very good offense this season.

Are we really going to make statements like this based on the last two games?

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2024, 10:24:30 PM »
Absolutely unreal that Mike Jakubowski had a bowling assignment tonight. He is a huge domino during home games.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2024, 10:33:56 PM »
If you seriously think Jop dribbling into the lane was the call you should delete your account and never post here again.

Someone’s lashing out again because he can’t handle his emotions.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2024, 10:35:08 PM »

It's not one guy but Jop has a tendency to murder possessions if they get 15 seconds in.

Teams that are usually very good in late shot clock scenarios either play at a slow tempo and are comfortable in it, or have guys who shine in ISO and can get a bucket.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2024, 10:36:07 PM »
UConn is very good.  Marquette at full strength is very good.  UConn is beatable.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2024, 10:36:45 PM »
We had an elite offense last season. We’ve had a very good offense this season.

Are we really going to make statements like this based on the last two games?

Have you watched Shaka over the entirety of his career? Great for sure but no sign of a half court offense.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2024, 10:37:30 PM »
Hurley is hard to dislike:

Dan Hurley on Cam Spencer's tech: "He's got to ring that in. There's some other fan bases and programs and I don't mind him sh*t-talking them, but I didn't like him doing it near their bench and to their fans... It's a classy program, it's a championship program..."