[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz tonight  (Read 2898 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
Buzz tonight
« on: February 25, 2009, 08:59:54 PM »
What the eff?  Marquette goes on a 10-0 run Calhoun takes a timeout and then UCONN goes on a 16 point run.  I've watched and played enough basketball to know that when UCONN responds with 6 or even 8 straight you take a freaking timeout!!!  I really don't get it, how do you let a team rattle 16 points off without taking a timeout.  He did the same thing in the second half, CONN went on two runs of over 10 points I believe.  I'm sorry but there is no excuse. 

Another thing, MU was obviously coached to go underneath screens and they continually get burned on it.  How many teams will we allow to shoot the lights out, its happened to often to write it off as catching a hot teams.  Its really bad defense.  Towards the end MU was bringing the pick defender out and forcing the dribbler away from the bucket.

I really think those couple things could have changed the course of the game. 

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Buzz tonight
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:03:47 PM »
Buzz has done it all year and it has usually worked out, but I agree on the timeout during the UCONN runs. There's a reason the "coaching book" says you call a timeout in that situation. We did come back from those runs though I suppose, though it's a lot of work to dig out of a hole like that.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:11:04 PM »
Yes, they did come back....but it should never have gotten that bad.  Whatever, probably wouldn't have made much of a difference, they were outplayed.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:20:57 PM »
Yes, they did come back....but it should never have gotten that bad.  Whatever, probably wouldn't have made much of a difference, they were outplayed.

i don't think we were outplayed as much as mismatched. With James out, the whole dynamic changes. I just don't see how we win many more games without James. We do not have the depth at all for this.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »
I'll say it again, the guy James would have been guarding put up 35 points!!!!! Is there really any more to the game story than that? Seriously, in the last 4 years, has any guard scored 35 against MU?

RaleighWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »
I think I remember three time outs during the 16-0 run

mug644

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:47:10 PM »
I'll say it again, the guy James would have been guarding put up 35 points!!!!! Is there really any more to the game story than that? Seriously, in the last 4 years, has any guard scored 35 against MU?

Yes, DJ being in there to guard Price would've changed the dynamic. Who's to say for sure that MU would've won?

Didn't David Holson (?) of Chicago State put up nearly 35 against MU this year? I recall Quintin Richardson of Depaul going off too, but maybe that was before DJ's time (though that probably would've been against McNeal).

warrior_jr

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:50:12 PM »
I think I remember three time outs during the 16-0 run

There were two official TV timeouts.

We go on a run, get up 6, UCONN calls timeout, come back score 3, Thabeet gets 2 blocks on the first two Marquette possessions, and then 16-0 run.

I usually put my faith in what Buzz says, but there is no reason for a 16-0 run to happen with no timeouts.  When you play the #2 team in the country, maybe you should take a queue from the "coaching book" as he calls it.

RaleighWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »

We go on a run, get up 6, UCONN calls timeout, come back score 3, Thabeet gets 2 blocks on the first two Marquette possessions, and then 16-0 run.

I usually put my faith in what Buzz says, but there is no reason for a 16-0 run to happen with no timeouts.  When you play the #2 team in the country, maybe you should take a queue from the "coaching book" as he calls it.

two tv timeouts and a 30 sec, that is three stoppages

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »

I usually put my faith in what Buzz says, but there is no reason for a 16-0 run to happen with no timeouts. 

In your own post you said there were two time outs. Unless of course the fact that they are TV timeouts (even though the coach knows they're coming), somehow makes them something other than a timeout. What are you talking about?

warrior_jr

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:23:32 PM »
In your own post you said there were two time outs. Unless of course the fact that they are TV timeouts (even though the coach knows they're coming), somehow makes them something other than a timeout. What are you talking about?

Gforce: Not seeing it, but I'll take your word for it.

Navin:  There was a four minute stretch between the two TV timeouts, during which UConn scored 7 points.  As soon as the second TV timeout occurred, Lazar hits a 3.  I would've liked to see that TO and 3-pt shot 3-5 pts earlier.  You?

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »
i concur
His lack of timeout taking....again....was brutal.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:35:38 PM »
I disagree. He's coaching a veteran team...and playing at home. He knew the official timeouts were coming. What's a timeout going to do? On the road, sure. At home? Not necessary. What happened after all of UConn's runs? MU responded.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »
Our season ended tonight. This could have been the year.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 11:10:34 PM »
Our season ended tonight. This could have been the year.

I hate to be doom and gloom, but I agree. Devastating loss.

bartmiller#1

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 11:19:05 PM »
Yes, DJ being in there to guard Price would've changed the dynamic. Who's to say for sure that MU would've won?

Didn't David Holson (?) of Chicago State put up nearly 35 against MU this year? I recall Quintin Richardson of Depaul going off too, but maybe that was before DJ's time (though that probably would've been against McNeal).

Richardson's last season at DePaul was '99-00.  In other words, he pre-dated Wade. 

DJ and McNeal are in the same class. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 11:29:01 PM »
O've said it all year about thte time outs - I don't get it.  Al McGuire wa shte master of time outs - you don't let a team get the lead from you when you have the lead - you call a time out before that.  Many times this year that didn;t happen.  You don't let teams go on meaningful runs without trying to stop their momentum with a TO.

I don't know much about coaching, but to me, better us of the TOs available could make a diffence in a game.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 12:30:28 AM »

Dude, your chronology is crazy wrong. Q Richardson left DePaul before DWade arrived at Marquette. And, McNeal and James have been here the same amount of time.

feedback