Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Malek Harris - Reason for suspension  (Read 42244 times)

moomoo

• Team Captain
Malek Harris - Reason for suspension
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:54:05 AM »
looks like it COULD be alcohol or drugs, from marquettetribune

"The Honor Code Suspension Chart denotes that the specific basketball-related penalty assessed to the second offense of a Category B violation is exactly 11 games. A Category B violation is defined as the “use, possession, buying, selling, bartering, or distributing alcohol and/or other drugs.” A third offense under this category would result in “suspension from performances, activities, or competitions for the remainder of the student’s high school career."

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Malek Harris - Reason for suspension
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:02:57 AM »
It also COULD be that he was at a party where drinking was occurring, but he didn't partake.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:12:41 AM »
Does that mean it was his 3rd offense?  I dont fault the kid for possibly drinking or being at a party but if youve been busted twice already, the light bulb should come on.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:21:05 AM »
Does that mean it was his 3rd offense? 

It's one of those "the school won't say, but these facts fit this situation" kind of deal.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »
Does that mean it was his 3rd offense?  I dont fault the kid for possibly drinking or being at a party but if youve been busted twice already, the light bulb should come on.

This.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
It's one of those "the school won't say, but these facts fit this situation" kind of deal.

Not necessarily, because he was suspended for the remainder of his high school career doesn't mean it was his third violation.  A second violation is suspension for the year which in Malek's case is the remainder of his high school career. 

Based on everything else, had he been a junior he would have only been suspended for the year which indicates it was only his second violation. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 09:36:43 AM »
It also COULD be that he was at a party where drinking was occurring, but he didn't partake.

Really?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »
Adios
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »
Not necessarily, because he was suspended for the remainder of his high school career doesn't mean it was his third violation.  A second violation is suspension for the year which in Malek's case is the remainder of his high school career.  

Based on everything else, had he been a junior he would have only been suspended for the year which indicates it was only his second violation.  

If the Marquette Tribune article that Moomoo quoted is correct, then it was his third violation.  Moomoo's quote says that a second suspension is for 11 games, and 11 games was his suspension last season.

"....the specific basketball-related penalty assessed to the second offense of a Category B violation is exactly 11 games."
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
Is it too late for him to join the cross country team and be suspended?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
Just when buzz was this close to getting some real diversity on this team, i.e. someone whose first name doesn't start with a J or a D.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:50:03 AM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »
If its weed or alcohol like the article seems to indicate, I have no problem with him coming to Marquette. Buzz can whip that out of him.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
If its weed or alcohol like the article seems to indicate, I have no problem with him coming to Marquette. Buzz can whip that out of him.

Completely agree.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »

Agree - The number/percentage of kids in the MU student body who came to MU having drank alcohol/smoked weed a few times in high school is probably 50+%.  To give Malek a chance at MU isn't some crazy flyer type of situation because he's a basketball player.  Pretty sure he'll have learned a hard lesson missing his senior season of ball, and that if any coach can help mentor a kid toward a better life/behavior - Buzz is as good as any. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 10:29:47 AM »
Really?

Yeah, really. Plenty other players. Marquette has been down this road and it didn't end well. No reason for the risk. You don't get kicked off a team for being at a party.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 10:35:49 AM »
Agree - The number/percentage of kids in the MU student body who came to MU having drank alcohol/smoked weed a few times in high school is probably 50+%.  To give Malek a chance at MU isn't some crazy flyer type of situation because he's a basketball player.  Pretty sure he'll have learned a hard lesson missing his senior season of ball, and that if any coach can help mentor a kid toward a better life/behavior - Buzz is as good as any. 

I would have thought he would have learned his lesson the first tim he was suspended.  I think it's alarming that a kid with a scholarship to a big time D1 program can't get his sh*t together for his senior year.  I don't expect a 4.0 and for him to be in the gym 24/7, but I would think staying out of trouble would be priority for him especially having a track record already.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 10:36:54 AM »
I guess I don't really care that the kid smokes weed and/or drinks. I care that he is stupid enough to get caught three times.

Once might be bad luck.
A second time could be...poor planning.
A third time means you're an idiot.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 10:38:55 AM »

The problem isn't weed or alcohol, at least for me. The problem is that there were rules/conditions (fair or not) linked to Malek's participation in athletics. He knew what they were. He got CAUGHT violating them once and got a warning. He got CAUGHT a second time and got suspended. He got CAUGHT a third time and got kicked off the team for good. Unless he was the unluckiest guy in the world I think we can assume he has displayed little to no regard for rules or their consequences. That's a dangerous attitude to bring to a team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 10:52:44 AM »
The problem isn't weed or alcohol, at least for me. The problem is that there were rules/conditions (fair or not) linked to Malek's participation in athletics. He knew what they were. He got CAUGHT violating them once and got a warning. He got CAUGHT a second time and got suspended. He got CAUGHT a third time and got kicked off the team for good. Unless he was the unluckiest guy in the world I think we can assume he has displayed little to no regard for rules or their consequences. That's a dangerous attitude to bring to a team.

I agree with this. The attitude is definitely concerning. However, I have a lot of faith in Buzz's coaching style. If there is anyone who can train that out of kid, it is Buzz. Put him on a short leash and first sign of trouble, he's gone.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 10:54:55 AM »

"That's a dangerous attitude to bring to a team."

Maybe, maybe not...kids are dumb and often don't think about the consequences to their actions.  MH is not the first kid to be suspended from athletics for being dumb.  

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »

This.

Like 4ever said, adios.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Time to cut bait, Buzz had enough problems with kids in the past, not going to go over them, but they were bad.  So why bring in another problem, move on.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
I guess I don't really care that the kid smokes weed and/or drinks. I care that he is stupid enough to get caught three times.

Once might be bad luck.
A second time could be...poor planning.
A third time means you're an idiot.

I agree and if it was for smoking weed I wonder how he got caught. Did he show up to school/practice high, did he bring a bag to school, did his parents catch him stoned and tell his coach, or what? To me, a senior in high school smoking is not a big deal but to get caught three times is ridiculous. He's got to be smarter than that.

Bring back FFP!!!

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »
In this type of situation, you really have to ask yourself: What would Coach Bobby Finstock do?

The answer: If the kid can help you win basketball games, bring him in.

We can all ride in here on our high horses and claim that Marquette is above bringing in potentially risky players, but if Buzz was bringing in choir boys and finishing around .500, we'd be calling for his termination. Buzz's job is to win basketball games and if this kid can help him do that, bring him in and help him get straightened out. If he's a reach as a Big East player or doesn't want to straighten up, cut him loose.