'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Game 16: Rutgers  (Read 2483 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Game 16: Rutgers
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
Game 16: Rutgers

Jan. 6, 2009 6:16 p.m.  

Piscataway, N.J. -- Rutgers will be battle-tested heading into its game with MU on Wednesday night.

Having lost to the top three teams in the nation in succession last week will do that for a team.

In a bit of scheduling craziness, the Scarlet Knights had to travel to then-No. 1 North Carolina on Dec. 28 and lost, 97-75, returned home and fought then-No. 3 Pittsburgh tough before losing, 78-72 on Dec. 31, and then headed back out onto the road where they were blown out by then-No. 2 Connecticut, 80-49, on Jan. 3.

"I know it's got to be demoralizing," said Jerel McNeal on Tuesday, when asked how tough a stretch like that can be on a team. "But at the same time, it may be good for their team, getting beat up a little bit early on. They're not going to be afraid of anybody, anywhere for the rest of the year, that's for sure. If they took it the right way, it can definitely help their team."

Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams echoed McNeal's belief that the stretch could wind up bring a good thing for Rutgers (9-6, 0-2).

"It's a brutal stretch," he said. "I don't know that anybody would have won any of those games, no matter what. But I think what it does, when you play against that level of competition for three consecutive games, you're not going to play against anybody any better.

"So you can probably spin it in a positive or a negative way. I'm sure (Fred Hill's) spinning it in a positive way. It'll be their first home game since the semester is over, the students are back, and they'll be excited to play."

MU crushed Rutgers at the Bradley Center last season, 78-48, but this is a much more talented team thanks to the 1-2 freshman punch of Mike Rosario and Gregory Echenique.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound Rosario, a high-school teammate of former MU recruit Tyshawn Taylor, has lived up to his McDonald's All-American billing by leading the Scarlet Knights in scoring at 17.3 points per game, three-pointers made with 39 and free-throw shooting at 88.5%.

"He's a very talented player, and he's similar to probably what Jerel, Wes and Dominic walked into in relation to when he came to campus, they needed that spot," Williams said. "There's only 20 guys that are selected McDonald's All-Americans, and he was one of them. He's going to get a touch nearly every possession.

"Of the 200 minutes from last year, they return 155 of them. But what they've replaced them with is two McDonald's All-Americans. Rosario, and then Greg Echenique, who is supposed to be a high-school senior. If he would have graduated in the class that he initially was enrolled in, he would have been a McDonald's All-American as well."

Echenique is a 6-9, 260-pound horse who is averaging 9.6 points and a team-best 8.7 rebounds per game. Throw him into the mix with 6-11 shot blocker Hamady Ndiaye and 6-9 J.R. Inman, and Rutgers definitely has enough size and talent to give MU a run for its money.

"They're athletic, they've got a lot of talent and size," said Wesley Matthews. "They really play two 5 men at the same time (in Echenique and Ndiaye), and then they've got Inman, who's a talented 4 man on the wing, who they bring off the bench. And then the freshman can make plays."

-- Williams and his staff were planning on heading down to watch 2009 signee Brett Roseboro play tonight, but snow scuttled that idea.

"Game just got cancelled," said Williams early in the afternoon. "He was going to come to our game tomorrow, but his game got cancelled and re-scheduled for tomorrow. Terrible. Terrible. I'm not going to get to see him at all. But like I just told him on the phone, "Can't control the weather.'"

-- It will be interesting to see if St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley will be in attendance for the game.

Hurley, of course, coached both Rosario and Taylor in high school. He was vocal throughout the process of getting Taylor released from his letter of intent after Tom Crean left in the spring, a move which ultimately led Taylor to sign with Kansas.

And Hurley's younger son, Danny, coached both Dwight Burke and David Cubillan at St. Benedict's.

-- Delivered by Feed43 service

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/37175609.html

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Game 16: Rutgers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »
F- Hurley.

Tell him to stand up...then sit down....then get out.

GO MU!
SS Marquette

LON

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:59:53 AM »
F- Hurley.

Tell him to stand up...then sit down (on his thumb)....then get out.

GO MU!

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:18:47 AM »
I hope that Hurley is there and gets to see real guard play from the amigos. 

Seriously though, Buzz has nothing to gain from being anything but cordial even if Hurley is a d-bag, which he probably is.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:34:30 AM »
I hope that Hurley is there and gets to see real guard play from the amigos. 

Seriously though, Buzz has nothing to gain from being anything but cordial even if Hurley is a d-bag, which he probably is.

Did you ever know Buzz to be anything but cordial, humble and deferential to anyone he has ever met?  I think we can rely on our coach to do the right thing.  I think Hurley will be watching and I am sure the bridge isn't burnt. Buzz's coaching style is different than the tan one's, but I think Hurley (and most others) will be more interested in seeing what Buzz can do with a team he largely recruited, i.e.,Years '09 and beyond.   

Regarding this game, this is another interesting mismatch situation.  Rutgers has a good frontline and some young albeit talented guards.  It is the classic guard oriented vs. big oriented,   experience vs young talent, up-tempo vs. grind-it-out game.  Interesting matchup and i hope it is more like the Cincy game than the Dayton or Tennesee game.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »
Buzz will absolutely keep the relationship viable, of that I have no doubt. 

As for the game, if Lehigh, St. Bonnies and Binghamton beat them, then I suspect we have a great shot if we go in focused.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:04:21 AM »
Why would Buzz burn that bridge? Makes no sense. I can see Buzz saying that "he was just standing up for his kid and trying to do what's best." As much as you think the guy's a dickbag, Buzz wont' thumb his nose at him...yet. He has built up no equity yet in the coaching ranks.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:07:01 AM »
Did you ever know Buzz to be anything but cordial, humble and deferential to anyone he has ever met? 

Just an observation, but I found it interesting that when the Cincy game was close in the beginning, Buzz seemed especially chatty to the refs, who were blowing calls right and left.  Normally he's pretty quiet and feels it's not worth it for the "new guy" to be trying to work the refs before he builds up his own credibility, but one of the announcers mentioned that Buzz and one of the refs had known each other for awhile so that is probably what influenced his behavior.