collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Draft  (Read 14674 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: NBA Draft
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2020, 12:03:44 AM »
I do take solace in the fact that Myles Powell went undrafted and Markus was signed before him.

Dude is just so unlikeable.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2020, 12:32:20 AM »
He gets unfairly profiled cause of his obnoxious Dad, but from all reports he grew up ALOT as a player and a person during his time in Australia. And in doing so, he’s become a hell of a player. I watched a couple games and he’s REALLY good. Say what you want about Lavar, but he raised and trained 2 top 3 draft picks. That’s pretty incredible

Bulls reached quite a bit for Williams IMO

Eh.  After the top 3 the next 6-8 picks were basically interchangeable.  Karnisovas deserves the benefit of the doubt based on his history.  Might as well swing for the fences.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2020, 08:36:56 AM »
Merrill goes to Bucks at 60, Howard undrafted.

Legendary pick.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2020, 08:47:52 AM »
Legendary pick.

I see what you did there, and I love it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2020, 08:49:34 AM »
What happened with that Creighton guy Tyshon Alexander? Thought he was a sure fire pick? Also Paul reed has got to be kicking himself right now. He passed on perhaps being a part of a legit Depaul team to get drafted in the low low second round?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2020, 08:52:26 AM »

Bulls reached quite a bit for Williams IMO

Obviously time will tell whether he was worth the #4 selection, but it definitely wasn't a reach by "quite a bit." Williams was a big mover the past couple of weeks, which really means that he was  going this high, it just wasn't until recently that the people who cover the draft found out. A couple of late mocks yesterday had him going to the Bulls.
Add that to the fact that there were no trades in the lottery - i.e. very little interest from anyone in moving up in the draft - it seems the Bulls didn't have the option of moving down a bit and still drafting Williams. So, if you can't move down and Williams is your guy, you take him where you are.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2020, 09:52:36 AM »
What happened with that Creighton guy Tyshon Alexander? Thought he was a sure fire pick? Also Paul reed has got to be kicking himself right now. He passed on perhaps being a part of a legit Depaul team to get drafted in the low low second round?

And with DePaul cheating now, it might be a pay cut. I wonder if the risk of high school grads being eligible made him jump early. I don’t know if a second rounder gets any more priority than an undrafted free agent, but might have been trying to beat a deep draft.

Granted, I think the latest is the one and done is probably staying for another year.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2020, 10:02:51 AM »
Fun Fact....Halliburton's former high school coach at Oshkosh North, Frank Schade, also played for the Kings, while they were in Kansas City.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2020, 10:34:52 AM »
Playing another year at DePaul or being a second round draft choice.  To me, that's not a hard decision.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2020, 10:43:57 AM »
I do take solace in the fact that Myles Powell went undrafted and Markus was signed before him.

Not just unlikeable, but the weird cult of personality surrounding him. You look at the tweet about Markus’ deal and there is a bunch of people like “now announce Powell!l. It’s so bizarre

Obviously time will tell whether he was worth the #4 selection, but it definitely wasn't a reach by "quite a bit." Williams was a big mover the past couple of weeks, which really means that he was  going this high, it just wasn't until recently that the people who cover the draft found out. A couple of late mocks yesterday had him going to the Bulls.
Add that to the fact that there were no trades in the lottery - i.e. very little interest from anyone in moving up in the draft - it seems the Bulls didn't have the option of moving down a bit and still drafting Williams. So, if you can't move down and Williams is your guy, you take him where you are.

The trades are a fair point. When I posted that, I assumed they could have moved down and got him at 10-12. But the lack of movement anywhere shows that’s probably not true. Thus, like you said, if they are really sold on him, grab him.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2020, 11:24:20 AM »

Neither sticks in the league for more than three years, if that.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

nyg

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2020, 12:34:14 PM »
Big East had two picks, Bey and Reed.

Powell just signed with Knicks, not known if two way or just a camp invite contract.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2020, 01:03:15 PM »
Merrill goes to Bucks at 60, Howard undrafted.

Take the 6'4" shooter over the 5'10" shooter.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2020, 01:38:42 PM »

Yep, unfortunately. If Markus was even 6’3, he’s a sure fire first round pick, maybe a borderline lottery guy.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2020, 01:47:31 PM »

Calling Powell a shooter is a bit generous. He shoots a lot. Doesn’t make a lot.

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2020, 01:50:37 PM »
Big East had two picks, Bey and Reed.

Powell just signed with Knicks, not known if two way or just a camp invite contract.
Camp invite contract.   

https://nypost.com/2020/11/19/myles-powell-signing-with-knicks-after-nba-draft/

The Big East

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2020, 01:54:44 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2020, 02:55:56 PM »
Bucks cut Ersan, which means the Bogdonovic trade is officially dead.

So the Bucks roster is Jrue, Donte, Khris, Giannis, Brook, DJ, Thanasis, and draft picks 45 and 60 in a week draft, and a 2 way contract undrafted free agent rookie.  With only the midlevel exception to sign someone and then veteran minimums to fill out the roster.  Excellent.

Giannis should ask to be traded to Dallas tonight.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2020, 02:58:43 PM »
Bucks cut Ersan, which means the Bogdonovic trade is officially dead.

So the Bucks roster is Jrue, Donte, Khris, Giannis, Brook, DJ, Thanasis, and draft picks 45 and 60 in a week draft, and a 2 way contract undrafted free agent rookie.  With only the midlevel exception to sign someone and then veteran minimums to fill out the roster.  Excellent.

Giannis should ask to be traded to Dallas tonight.

I’m going to hold out hope until he officially goes somewhere Friday, but I’m an optimist. Hopefully it can still be done without Ersan. It certainly doesn’t look good though.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #120 on: November 19, 2020, 03:03:06 PM »
You have to think there's a reason they waived Ersan.  There was zero reason for them to do that if their plan was to stand pat.

A theory is that the Bucks are going to straight up sign Bogdan as a RFA, and they need the cap space to put the offer sheet under the cap so that is the reason they waived him now.  Then Sacramento matches and a trade of some sort still goes through.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2020, 03:06:14 PM »
I’m going to hold out hope until he officially goes somewhere Friday, but I’m an optimist. Hopefully it can still be done without Ersan. It certainly doesn’t look good though.

You have to think there's a reason they waived Ersan.  There was zero reason for them to do that if their plan was to stand pat.

A theory is that the Bucks are going to straight up sign Bogdan as a RFA, and they need the cap space to put the offer sheet under the cap so that is the reason they waived him now.  Then Sacramento matches and a trade of some sort still goes through.

If I'm understanding this correctly (and I have no idea how some of the NBA cap stuff works and trades, etc., so I may be very off base here), the Bucks are over the cap with a Bogdonovic deal so they needed to match the salary (within a certain percentage) that he would be getting, which is why Ersan was needed in the trade.  That part I am less certain on.  The part I am nearly positive on is that he can't be traded to the team that signs him to an offer sheet.   And another part I'm not certain on is that the Bucks only have the mid level exception, and Bogdonovic will get a contract larger than that.

My understanding is the only way they could get Bogdonovic is through a sign and trade that matched salaries.  They needed Ersan's salary to make that work.  Now they would need to include Brook to make salaries match.

Again, I could be totally off base because all the salary cap and matching salaries makes no sense to me.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:08:35 PM by BLM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
If I'm understanding this correctly (and I have no idea how some of the NBA cap stuff works and trades, etc., so I may be very off base here), the Bucks are over the cap with a Bogdonovic deal so they needed to match the salary (within a certain percentage) that he would be getting, which is why Ersan was needed in the trade.  That part I am less certain on.  The part I am nearly positive on is that he can't be traded to the team that signs him to an offer sheet.   And another part I'm not certain on is that the Bucks only have the mid level exception, and Bogdonovic will get a contract larger than that.

My understanding is the only way they could get Bogdonovic is through a sign and trade that matched salaries.  They needed Ersan's salary to make that work.  Now they would need to include Brook to make salaries match.

Again, I could be totally off base because all the salary cap and matching salaries makes no sense to me.

You are correct that if the Bucks sign him to an offer sheet, and the Kings match, he could not be traded to the Bucks for a year.

But again, there must be a reason they waived Ersan.  They must be planning on signing someone.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »

You are correct that if the Bucks sign him to an offer sheet, and the Kings match, he could not be traded to the Bucks for a year.

But again, there must be a reason they waived Ersan.  They must be planning on signing someone.

I believe even after cutting Ersan they still only have the mid-level exception.  Again, not positive on that.  But if so, that's a Jeff Teague, Justin Holiday, Wesley Matthews type of player.  Not exactly filling the hole you have in that starting lineup.

Pelicans deal still isn't official so the only way I could see Bogdonovic on the Bucks is if they're able to turn it into a 3 team deal or the Bucks include Brook.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2020, 03:18:08 PM »
This is all about Bogdan's financial compensation. His agent has the Bucks by the short hairs. Either they pay him or someone else will. Then ther's the whole Giannis thing likely dependent on it happening too. So, yeah the Bucks are fooked, major, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback