Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Try to read without getting a little sick to your stomach...  (Read 15583 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
Re: Try to read without getting a little sick to your stomach...
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 05:41:49 PM »
On average, there were about 5000 per home game this season. That's actual people in the seats. Our biggest draw was against Texas (around 9000) and the lowest was Maryland-Eastern Shore (3311). The Kansas game had about 8500, but half were Jayhawk fans.

Cant even sell out for KU? correct me if I am wrong, but wikipedia tells me you arena holds 12,000. From a basketball only school... that shocks me. Is it the fan base or teams performance?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »
Our coaches did not entirely for greener pastures. They left partially because they were tired of aspects of the program. Aspects such as higher academic standards than higher rated academic universities. They left partially because factions of alumni either had unrealistic expectations or could not understand why it worked in '77 but '95. They left partially because selling the program became tiring.  They left partially because they did not believe MU was a basketball school.
If Buzz goes to OU 2 out 3 coaches made lateral moves at best. Only TC took a better job. It is time to take rose colored glasses off if Buzz leaves and figure out what the hell is going on.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »
Why would their 2010-2011 attendance matter? For those that remember we could not give away tickets at the end of Dukiet era. KO was starting with zero and made it happen and he was an assistant that most casual fans did not know. My bet is OU fans know who Buzz is and would welcome him. You spend the money to get a guy to fill the seats. You value a guy so much that you make him your target and you go get him.

ObballU

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »
Cant even sell out for KU? correct me if I am wrong, but wikipedia tells me you arena holds 12,000. From a basketball only school... that shocks me. Is it the fan base or teams performance?

12,000 is correct and the answer to the last question is definitely fan base. Don't get me wrong, losing doesn't help either, but our fans didn't consistently sell-out the arena when we had Blake Griffin and the Elite 8 run. Now they think the potential hiring of Buzz will somehow pack the house. Grandiose delusions.

I have no idea and no sources, but I'll be shocked if Buzz leaves MU. Absolutely shocked. I understand he's an Okie/Texan-type guy, but it could be suicidal in terms of his career. To move just because you like an area wouldn't make much sense especially moving from a really good bball program to one in shambles.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2011, 05:53:25 PM »
What has Buzz said that insinuates his leaving?

Marquette University, Spring '08

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2011, 05:54:06 PM »
What I need explained: If Buzz jumps to OU -- Why have three of the last four coaches bailed on MU as soon as they start to have success?  That pattern, to me, speaks of a crappy job.  And, it seems that everybody in the sports media knows it too.

That pattern speaks to me of a successful program that isn't at the truly "elite" level.  Granted, I'd love for Marquette to be at that truly elite level, but I think we're far closer to that than we are to the "crappy job" level.

When coaches leave your program to become an assistant at another program...that suggests a crappy job.  When coaches leave your program for mid-major or lower jobs...that suggests a crappy job.

There are a lot of job openings out there.  Buzz is being mentioned in connection with the very top jobs available.  He seems regarded as one of the (if not "the") hottest coaches around.  If he leaves (and I hope he doesn't and don't think he will), it doesn't "speak to me of" a coach trying to escape a "crappy job."  It speaks to me of an extremely marketable coach taking the top job available this year (even though we might disagree that it's a step up).  Crean clearly left for what is historically considered one of the top five or six jobs in the business.  That doesn't speak to me of a coach trying to escape a crappy job.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2011, 05:59:20 PM »
Our coaches did not entirely for greener pastures. They left partially because they were tired of aspects of the program. Aspects such as higher academic standards than higher rated academic universities. They left partially because factions of alumni either had unrealistic expectations or could not understand why it worked in '77 but '95. They left partially because selling the program became tiring.  They left partially because they did not believe MU was a basketball school.
If Buzz goes to OU 2 out 3 coaches made lateral moves at best. Only TC took a better job. It is time to take rose colored glasses off if Buzz leaves and figure out what the hell is going on.

I'll take your response to mean that you don't have anything to support your belief that this happens more at Marquette than most, if not all, major programs.

I'll also take it to mean that you and I apparently don't see eye-to-eye on what "greener pastures" mean.  I was speaking in general terms.  In my mind, everything you mentioned would equate to leaving for greener pastures.  I was simply referring to what the coach in question perceived as a better opportunity.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 06:07:44 PM »
Maybe...then again, the rumors in this article are pretty strong about mutual interest.  Either someone is lying or their is truthiness to it.

We Have A Contradiction

Dallas Morning News reporter Mike Jones Today ...

Published 24 March 2011 02:35 PM

[snip]

Sources on both sides have indicated strong mutual interest, though no official contact has been, nor will be, made until after the Golden Eagles are through playing in the NCAA Tournament.

Buzz yesterday ...

"I want the focus to be on our team," Williams said. "What our team has been able to accomplish is great. That's not me dodging the question. ... Marquette gave me a chance when I had no job. The job was open seven days. I owned a house in Louisiana. I owned a house in Mequon. ... there's a lot of gamesmanship that goes into this, none of which I have participated in.

"There are people trying to get to me but I am not going to participate in that. It's not right by our institution, our players or our coaches. I will address it when the season is over."

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/musweet16preview2011.html

-----

If Buzz sent back channel interest in the OU position and then said this, I would have a problem with it.

I'll take Buzz's word.

If they are both not lying, then someone is misinterpreting another's signals.  Either Buzz has mislead us with this comment or OU has a completely wrong read on the situation.  Here I how I interpret it (feel free to disagree):

OU attempted to contact Buzz via a back channel (non-official source).

Buzz said what he said above ... I am not going to participate ... I will address it when the season is over.  The conversation ended their and nothing more was said.

OU believes that means he is interested because he did not say no.

Buzz has a sleeping problem and is about to take on UNC for the biggest game of his life.  If the fire departmental called and said his house was on fire, right now he would say ... I am not going to participate ... I will address it when the season is over.

Doesn't mean Buzz is not interested, just means that OU is taking a bit a leap and hoping they don't fall flat.

Anyone disagree?

----

Last thought, the Dallas Morning News also wrote ...

Reports of Williams’ buyout at Marquette, placed at more than $3 million, are way over the top according to a source with knowledge of that situation. A standard buyout clause is usually a year’s salary, which in Williams’ case is likely around $1.5 million, give or take.

What is this "report" that the Dallas Morning News is saying is wrong?

After spending some time on google, their are MU scout and MUscoop posts that Rosiak was on Oklahoma radio three days ago and mentioned that Buzz's buyout was north of $3 million.  

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=26115.msg292948#msg292948

Scout post saying the same thing also quotes IWB (someone who is in a position to know) that the $3 million buyout number is correct.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=415&f=1316&t=7347701&p=1

Interestingly, Rosiak's own blog on Williams' contract two days ago details his contract but makes no mention of the $3 million buyout.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/118052929.html

If Rosiak  did not say this three days ago on Oklahoma Radio, and I will email him and ask him, they their is no "report"  ... does the sports editor at the Dallas Morning News know he is paying a reporter to shoot down internet message board posts while calling them "reports".  Don't reporters lose their jobs over embellishments like this?

If Rosiak said this, and IWB confirmed, unless they back off their statements, I'll believe them over the Dallas Morning News and Buzz does have a $3 million buyout.

If someone has a link to Rosiak's Oklahoma radio interview, or has a real "report" of Buzz's buyout being $3 million, please let me know.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »
This is the environment we are living in, taking a coach's word is hard to do-

Only 19 days before Mike Anderson left for Arkansas:

"I plan on being at Missouri for a long time, retire here,"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2011, 06:18:28 PM »
StillaWarrior---KO would have gone UW Stout if they paid him MU money. You obviously are lacking knowledge of the situation or flat out brainwashed.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2011, 06:24:41 PM »
jaybilas--One third of our paid attendance comes dressed an arena seat. Winning and promoting a program fills the seats.

StillaWarrior--What evidence to you need that it happens more at MU than other major programs? How many Big 10 or BE coaches have left their job voluntarily over the past decade to take another job in "greener pastures"? Half of our problem is that for some reason we think if we wish for something enough it will happen. Other major schools say fxxk the wishing and gets it done.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »
If Buzz goes to OU 2 out 3 coaches made lateral moves at best.

Goose first of all he isn't gone yet so can we wait to Panic about where the program is IF he leaves.  Second I would argue that when O'Neill left Tennesssee who plays in the SEC WAS a STEP UP from Marquette, a program at that time in a cobbled together C-USA with a Bad practice facility and a downward trend based on NCAA tournement appearences and success.  We had two other coachs that were fired.  And please lets not go all the way back to Majerus.  I don't think Buzz will leave but if he does all it would prove to me is that one guy had a family that was homesick for the South and I think that guy would have made a bad career move but that happens.  

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
StillaWarrior--What evidence to you need that it happens more at MU than other major programs? How many Big 10 or BE coaches have left their job voluntarily over the past decade to take another job in "greener pastures"? Half of our problem is that for some reason we think if we wish for something enough it will happen. Other major schools say fxxk the wishing and gets it done.

Off the top of my head ...

Big Televen
Bill Self
Lon Kruger (technically 11 years ago, but still ...)
Kevin O'Neill

Big East
Ben Howland
Tom Crean
Tommy Amaker
Matt Doherty
John Beilein
Dave Leitao

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2011, 06:40:13 PM »
Goose first of all he isn't gone yet so can we wait to Panic about where the program is IF he leaves.  Second I would argue that when O'Neill left Tennesssee who plays in the SEC WAS a STEP UP from Marquette, a program at that time in a cobbled together C-USA with a Bad practice facility and a downward trend based on NCAA tournement appearences and success. We had two other coachs that were fired.  And please lets not go all the way back to Majerus.  I don't think Buzz will leave but if he does all it would prove to me is that one guy had a family that was homesick for the South and I think that guy would have made a bad career move but that happens.  

In 1994 their was no CUSA.  Weren't we coming off of independent status and in the Great Midwest?  And didn't the Great Midwest eventually become the Horizon League?

If I'm correct, in 1994 MU was in a mid-major conference and the SEC was a power conference.  In 2011 MU is arguably in the best power conference league, the Big East.

This is a night and day difference that must be considered when talking about a coach that left 17 years ago.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
NotanAlum--You can believe KO left for green pastures. Honestly guys I am making noise because I do NOT want Buzz to leave. Right now everyone is saying he is not leaving, using the same logic I am using in my fear that he is leaving. That logic is a gut feeling and none of us know. But I will bet anything if he leaves every poster comes out of the closet to bitch about it.

I would rather let MU administration know that we as fans actually do care how our money is spent and who the face of the school is on national level. My greatest fear is we are going to be here after we win NCAA and will be throwing out replacement names. I will be throwing out Coack K and Bo Ryan and other will be saying Rob Jeter and Brian Wardle. All of us will be wrong and have different picks. But one thing will be for sure, 2 out 3 on here will be making excuses on why so and so would never come here. Sorry, I believe we can keep Buzz if we want to or get our first choice. The admin knows the same 12,000 will buy season tickets  no matter who gets picked.

ObballU

• Walk-On
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »
How much do you guys think MU will pay per year (to Buzz) if it becomes a bidding war?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2011, 06:47:43 PM »
Pakuni--Great I want to be grouped with Northwestern, Seton Hall and DePaul.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
Pakuni--Great I want to be grouped with Northwestern, Seton Hall and DePaul.

Why not say Illinois, Pitt and ND?

Answer:  because you have your point of view and when you are proven wrong (yes coaches leave the B10, and more are fired), you elect to twist these facts.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
AnotherMU---When we were in the Great Midwest KO, BC and many fans felt we were in one of the best BASKETBALL conferences in the country. The school felt is was a major ball conference and honestly it was pretty damn good. Basically Great Midwest became C-USA and know not sure what C-USA is anymore. KO fought to get us in that conference.

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2011, 06:53:47 PM »
I am glad this has digressed into a KO conversation, equally as productive as the Buzz talk.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »
Pakuni---I did not want to out your stupid argument. Kruger went to NBA (greener pastures), Howland to UCLA (greener pastures), Self to Kansas and Doherty to UNC (greener pastures). Our guys go to UT and OU. Hardly comparing apples here. If Buzz ends up at Duke I would say we should lose him. He goes to OU SHAME ON US!!

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2011, 06:54:58 PM »
Oh and can I coin the thread "Buzz Kill" if he does in fact leave?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
Back to the original article, does anyone else see this as moronically contradictory?

"As the OU job would, coaching at Arkansas would have enabled him to better tap his recruiting ability in Texas. Four Texans are on his roster at Marquette."

How stupid are you?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
AnotherMU---When we were in the Great Midwest KO, BC and many fans felt we were in one of the best BASKETBALL conferences in the country. The school felt is was a major ball conference and honestly it was pretty damn good. Basically Great Midwest became C-USA and know not sure what C-USA is anymore. KO fought to get us in that conference.

This is pure fantasy on your part.

No one other than unknowing Bball fans no one in the early 1990s thought the Great Midwest was in the same league as the BE, SEC, B10 etc.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Back to the original article, does anyone else see this as moronically contradictory?

"Four Texans are on his roster at Marquette."

How stupid are you?

Two Jucos, Jimmy and Joe
A 2-star center in Outle.
A Canadian transplant in Junior.

Are these the four "Texans"?

No Texans in this year's class.  No Texans last year's class either.

Are we to believe OU wants him for THIS Texas pipeline?