'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OU speculation on Buzz is fading  (Read 12376 times)

El Duderino

• Team Captain
Re: Buzz's Buyout
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 02:02:48 AM »
I sure hope this is true.

Nearly four million dollars is a big chunk of change for a buyout, on top of the salary a team would likely have to offer to even bother trying to lure away Buzz from Marquette.

Litehouse

• All American
Re: OU speculation on Buzz is fading
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 08:25:18 AM »
If the buyout number is true, then I have to say kudos to Cottingham.  Even if it's standard stuff, he did it right to protect MU.

Aughnanure

• All American
Buzz has $3.8 mil buyout?
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 09:21:51 AM »
Ummm, thats quite a lot. Hard to really believe that, but still.

http://twitter.com/WallyLikeItIs

Its already been picked up by Arkansas and Mizzou boards by the way.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 10:07:02 AM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Goose

• All American
Re: Buzz has $3.8 mil buyout?
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »
Honestly the buyout number is irrelevant to me. If you think the guy is worthy of a big buyout number you fight to keep him. If Buzz leaves after this year we did not fight to keep him.

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »
That is ridiculous, I don't believe it. One sweet 16 doesn't make you John Wooden. OK must be desperate.
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 09:49:54 AM »
Lighthouse---Why would you have such high buyout price if you did not have high level of confidence in guy. That price tag scares away some schools and if the guy is not worth fighting for why would you want to scare away bidders?

[Mu]EngiNerd

• Starter
  • BS08 MS10
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2011, 09:54:22 AM »
well you assume cottingham did it to protect Marquette.  It makes sense from the school stand point.

I assume Oklahoma is talking with cottingham at this point to get this information.

Does this means buzz is interested if Oklahoma has progressed to the point of contacting Marquette for this information?
One Nerd to Rule them All - Bears - Blackhawks - Bulls - Cubs - Golden Eagles

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »
I think it shows OU is interested in Buzz, but doesn't necessarily say anything about Buzz's interest in OU.  I also think it continues to show OU is backpeddling and trying to save face after realizing it won't be so easy to get any coach they want.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 10:33:31 AM »
well you assume cottingham did it to protect Marquette.  It makes sense from the school stand point.

I assume Oklahoma is talking with cottingham at this point to get this information.

Does this means buzz is interested if Oklahoma has progressed to the point of contacting Marquette for this information?

This is how I understand the conversation went down - or maybe it was a dream.  In any event, I'm paraphrasing and embellishing for the sake of humor.

OK/AR: Hello, Mr. Cottingham?  We'd be fixin' to talk with Buzz Williams about him coaching here at Oklahoma/Arkansas.  Would that be ok with you?

Cotts: Sure, but - let me put this in language you can understand - ain't gonna do you no good no how.

OK/AR: Why is that?

Cotts: Because we've already signed Buzz to an extension.

OK/AR: Tarnation -- I knew we waited too long.  Our boosters are gonna have our nuts in a San Antonio Guillotine.

Cotts: If it's any consolation, you can tell them the buyout was $3.8M.

OK/AR: Well I'll be hornswaggled... you're all right, Yankee.  You may have just saved our bacon.  How about a home-and-home some time to help your non-con SOS?

Cotts: That'd be terrific.  We'll give you a call after the season.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 10:43:43 AM »
there maybe something to it that leaking Buzz's high buyout number is an attempt to save face for OK...

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
I don't think universities go through AD's anymore when seeking out their coach....we sure know Indiana didn't.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »
Buzz has said that he doesn't have an agent and all inquiries have to come through Cottingham.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »
call me a pessimist but I doubt OU called up Cottingham.   

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard for Buzz to relay info without a formal agent.   

That would be nice for us though if all schools really are going through our AD.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »
call me a pessimist but I doubt OU called up Cottingham.   

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard for Buzz to relay info without a formal agent.   

That would be nice for us though if all schools really are going through our AD.

I would suspect any inquiry would go through Lewis Orr, unless he was being paid by MU.  I don't believe he was and he is Buzz' mentor.  There are other channels that they can go through as well.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 01:34:43 PM »
I would suspect any inquiry would go through Lewis Orr, unless he was being paid by MU.  I don't believe he was and he is Buzz' mentor.  There are other channels that they can go through as well.

Orr is being paid by MU as a consultant.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2011, 01:45:36 PM »
Orr is being paid by MU as a consultant.

Thanks.  Then he better not be a conduit ...

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2011, 01:47:33 PM »
From Pat Forde's chat today  http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37590:

Scott (Dallas)

Speaking of Mike Anderson, do you think Buzz Williams will go to Arkansas now?
Pat Forde  (2:35 PM)

Scott: Kinda think Oklahoma might be the more likely destination for Buzz. If he leaves Marquette.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »
I've noticed a lot of the recent speculation about Buzz has included more "ifs".  Like "if he leaves Marquette", or "if he's really an option for OU".  I take this as a good sign and it shows again that these guys have no real information.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
From Pat Forde's chat today  http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37590:

Scott (Dallas)

Speaking of Mike Anderson, do you think Buzz Williams will go to Arkansas now?
Pat Forde  (2:35 PM)

Scott: Kinda think Oklahoma might be the more likely destination for Buzz. If he leaves Marquette.

Dream ON, Scott from Dallas. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 03:16:45 PM »
Thanks.  Then he better not be a conduit ...

Unless, of course, he's keeping Cottingham up to date on all the traffic.  It's better to know than not to know...  Not likely, since this would put him in a compromised position with Buzz.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »
If my memory serves correctly TC was given a long term contract, only to bolt, which was made too easy by MU, as TC had a relatively small buyout amount.

It seems likely MU was aware of the "burn me once" (laughing as I write, as I'm recalling George W Bush's stumble over this saying-lol) need to shore up this exposure, and would likely have increased the $ amount in the Buzz buyout clause, yes?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
If my memory serves correctly TC was given a long term contract, only to bolt, which was made too easy by MU, as TC had a relatively small buyout amount.

It seems likely MU was aware of the "burn me once" (laughing as I write, as I'm recalling George W Bush's stumble over this saying-lol) need to shore up this exposure, and would likely have increased the $ amount in the Buzz buyout clause, yes?

Typically the more leverage the coach has, the lesser the buyout they want...gives them freedom to move.  Any good agent, which I realize Buzz doesn't have one, will want to make the buyout small.  This is because it makes him more marketable to other programs.  If you have a really high buyout, fewer programs will want you or drive up your price \ raise.  That's why agents and coaches want a lower buyout and that is typically "earned" by a successful coach as they earn their stripes.

Let's not forget that buyouts can work against the university as well.  If you have too high a buyout and your coach busts and you're paying him a ton of money, no one wants to take him off your hands.  Cottingham is a good attorney, I suspect he will have this part handled well to a proper balancing of the school's interests and the coach.

burger

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »

According to Rosiak who was on OK radio today.....The buyout for Buzz is large and was put in place because....in Crean's second contract.....he negotiated a small buyout which was much lower than his original.....Which burned MU.....

So you can thank Tan Tommy for something......

They are going to have to pay thru the nose.....If indeed Buzz wants to go... (which I doubt)

Katz said today.....Why would Buzz leave.....He has established a "national" brand for "hard work" .....has a good recruiting class.....and has everything a coach would want in Milwaukee.....

The tide has turned towards MU in my opinion....People are realizing Buzz isn't going anywhere.....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 05:39:51 PM by burger »