Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who did a worse disservice to their players and fans in the way and manner in which they left their school?

Tom Crean
63 (58.3%)
Sean Miller
20 (18.5%)
John Calipari
8 (7.4%)
Roy Williams
5 (4.6%)
Bob Huggins
12 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: POLL: Sean Miller flip flops, going to Arizona - Isn't this worse than Crean's?  (Read 5852 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
Price rose from under $1.0 million to $1.4 million.....so it was all about the money.

Atleast Crean didnt do THIS to us.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:46:37 PM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Aughnanure

• All American
If there are any other good options let me know
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

4everwarriors

• All American
And MU wouldn't pay him 1.4mil? If so, they're fools. Great career move to Tucson. I think he'll be mega-successful there.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
I bet Miller had the decency to call his AD and players before he was named coach

StillWarriors

• All American
Initial offer was $2 mill for 7 years and they went up from there. Hard to compete with that. It's a shame for X, but given their track record they'll hire yet another up and comer who will do a great job. They have a great team coming back next year, so it'll be a pretty attractive job.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
I do not think money was the issue in not landing Tony Bennett or Sean Miller last year at MU.  At this point it is clear that either (1) one or both simply did not want to coach at MU or (2) we never really made a significant push to land them. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
And MU wouldn't pay him 1.4mil? If so, they're fools. Great career move to Tucson. I think he'll be mega-successful there.

Let's just be honest:

It doesn't matter how Miller handled it.

Some people would still say Crean is a d*ck and Miller is better guy.

That's just life.

Another Example:

Buzz could go on to win 400 games at MU, but some people would still dislike the "process" and bring it up every time another coach did well. "If the process was better, we could have gotten X".

PJDunn

• All American
Let's just be honest:

It doesn't matter how Miller handled it.

Some people would still say Crean is a d*ck and Miller is better guy.

That's just life.

Another Example:

Buzz could go on to win 400 games at MU, but some people would still dislike the "process" and bring it up every time another coach did well. "If the process was better, we could have gotten X".

Brew City

• Scholarship Player
What is worse is www.musketeermadness.com's ability to handle the situation.  Site has crashed, scoop survived the day, didn't it?

bma725

• All American
What is worse is www.musketeermadness.com's ability to handle the situation.  Site has crashed, scoop survived the day, didn't it?

Not especially shocking considering their previous high of 237 fans logged on at one time a few days ago. 

mugrad99

• Team Captain

They're basically losing their whole team, and no top recruits for next year. I am not so sure that Arizona may be headed back to where it was before Lute. Arizona State, USC, Washington, and UCLA all seem to be better programs right now.

Nukem2

• All American
They're basically losing their whole team, and no top recruits for next year. I am not so sure that Arizona may be headed back to where it was before Lute. Arizona State, USC, Washington, and UCLA all seem to be better programs right now.
Depends if Budinger, Wise and the other guy stay or leave.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Agreed. No telling what is going through their minds, but I have read that they are expected to leave.

squirrel

• Walk-On
2.4 million, not 1.4 - that makes a big difference.

Aughnanure

• All American
2.4 million, not 1.4 - that makes a big difference.

Sorry. I had heard it over the radio, so probably just misheard it. Thought it was a little odd being so low.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:26:05 PM by KCMarq09 »

PJDunn

• All American

Miller is getting a lot of money, but it comes with some definite baggage.  As Indy indicates the power in the Pac 10 is shifting.  Lute could always count on cherry picking Washington state, but with Romar (and Mark Few) firmly established those days are over.  USC and UCLA are both in great shape and Sendak has ASU on a major upswing.  He is going to struggle getting the program up to an elite level, and the fan base probably won't be very patient.

Nukem2

• All American
Miller is getting a lot of money, but it comes with some definite baggage.  As Indy indicates the power in the Pac 10 is shifting.  Lute could always count on cherry picking Washington state, but with Romar (and Mark Few) firmly established those days are over.  USC and UCLA are both in great shape and Sendak has ASU on a major upswing.  He is going to struggle getting the program up to an elite level, and the fan base probably won't be very patient.
I think Miller will do well.  AZ can recruit the Southwest and MidWest far more easily than the other PAC-10 teams.  I say that AZ will emerge just fine, especially if the seniors-to-be stick around.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I bet Miller had the decency to call his AD and players before he was named coach

Who cares, at the end of the day he's not their coach anymore.  The players lose their coach as does the university.

Yes, it would have been nice and appropriate for Crean to have called.  He didn'.  He didn't honor his contract and neither did Sean Miller.  Just as I'm sure the New Orleans fans wish their previous coach had honored his contract.

PE8983

• Team Captain
If they have buyouts, how are they not honoring their contracts?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
If they have buyouts, how are they not honoring their contracts?

If a school wanted to say a coach couldn't leave, they could.  No one does anymore because they're all so worried about the ramifications it presents.  The contracts have become one sided.  The coach can leave whenever he wants in theory because the schools don't stop it.  Yet if the coach is fired with years remaining on the deal, the coach sure as heck wants to collect on those years.

Ultimately, I just find the double standard here kind of funny.  People are all in a bunch about whether someone said they were leaving or not yet our current coach left his previous school in a complete lurch.  I totally agree that Crean handled it in a piss poor fashion.  I also believe Buzz had some sincere reasons for leaving New Orleans.  But the net effect is the same, it leaves the school, players, administrators in a tough spot.  For some reason it's not treated that way here which I find more than a little ironic.

4everwarriors

• All American
Crean was far worse. He should have moved on 5 years earlier. Instead, he remained at MU like a fly in the ointment.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Crean was far worse. He should have moved on 5 years earlier. Instead, he remained at MU like a fly in the ointment.

Perhaps, but what about MU's hiring prowess makes you think we would have landed someone specatular in 2003?  One could argue that if Crean left, it would have been after only 4 years and continued a trend of having coaches last 5 years or less going on 5 straight coaches.

Though Cords would have been more involved (Cords was involved with the Buzz hiring as well to some extent), so at least there would be some level of confidence.

Besides, without that last 5 years you would have missed out on James, McNeal, Matthews, Hayward.  Who knows if Novak transfers after his freshman year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.

Please see my post above.

::)

4everwarriors

• All American
The playing surface has changed. If you are wiling to pay, anyone can be bought.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
The playing surface has changed. If you are wiling to pay, anyone can be bought.

Are we willing to pay?