'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The REAL Last Recruit for '09 Thread  (Read 5698 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
The REAL Last Recruit for '09 Thread
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:53:16 PM »
What say you oh wisemen/women(?) of MU Scoop?

Does this departure pave the way for Mr. Jamil Wilson? I have no knowledge, but wanted to get this thread back on its original topic.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Re: The REAL Last Recruit for '09 Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
I would prefer that it pave the way for Mr. Snaer.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:42:47 PM »
Here's hoping it will be Jamil Wilson.

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »
It seems to me that with Maymon,Williams and Fulce all playing roughly the small forward position with some guard that we would be better off with either a shooter (Michael Snaer) or a power forward (Aaric Murray,Dan Jennings or Ray Turner).
Once a warrior always a warrior.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 03:54:06 PM »
Who knows how many scholarships we will have open next year? After what happened with Mbawke, I think speculating now is pointless. It's conceivable Buzz may need two or three more commitments.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »
It seems to me that with Maymon,Williams and Fulce all playing roughly the small forward position with some guard that we would be better off with either a shooter (Michael Snaer) or a power forward (Aaric Murray,Dan Jennings or Ray Turner).

Its college basketball, I'll take a bunch of athletic forwards around 6'6 6'7 6'8 over some slow footed 6'11 guy.  It wasn't hibbert that lead G'town to the final four 2 years ago, as we found out this past year.  Memphis and Kansas both featured athletic 6'9 guys playing the power positions.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 04:18:02 PM »
Who knows how many scholarships we will have open next year? After what happened with Mbawke, I think speculating now is pointless. It's conceivable Buzz may need two or three more commitments.

This is nothing but pure speculation based on absolutely no facts.  Why would there be reason to think anybody else is leaving the team?

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
wilson would be a better fit for the #4 position in what I believe will be a 4 out 1 in alignment as Wilson has better perimeter skills. But he's VERY raw (very talented too)----needs loads of coaching/devlopment.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:49:30 PM »
In college hoops, I think if you have the quantity of a few decent 6'8-6'10" bangers, it's much better than having that one 7'1" guy. Athleticism and guard play still are the dominant factors in college hoops, I think.

Again, that's not to say you can't disregard the paint. But you can get further with a constant influx of guys that average 6-8 ppg and 6-8 rpg than you can one player over a four year span that's a stud down low.

Plus, like we've discussed here many times. The odds of MU getting a top 1-3 center in the country are nill, considering they'll go somewhere else and leave after two years.

I think Wilson would give us some huge depth down low. We already have a 7'1" guy now too. Snaer sounds awfully friggin' good though.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:45:51 AM »
Not disagreeing with the whole 6'7" forward argument and memphis and others have obviously proven it's potential.  yet the argument has been made that we already have a good amount of those types.  While the memphis argument is compelling I do not beleive we want to go from the Crean era of guards only to the Buzz era of forwards only.  We do need a mix, and going into next year we will have 4 true guards in seniors cubi and Mo, Junior Buycks and frosh cadougan,  very thin at the guard.  Personally i feel a big time 2g is the area of greatest need.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 09:24:07 AM »
jmayer: All I'm saying is you don't know. Aren't there questions about two of our current recruits qualifying? And our track record is we have at least one guy transfer every year. Nioe saying it will happen and/or who it's going to be, but these are kids. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 09:28:01 AM »
So the transfer issue wasn't a Crean thing like so many detractors said, and was merely a kid thing.   Phew.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 01:26:28 PM »
Not disagreeing with the whole 6'7" forward argument and memphis and others have obviously proven it's potential.  yet the argument has been made that we already have a good amount of those types.  While the memphis argument is compelling I do not beleive we want to go from the Crean era of guards only to the Buzz era of forwards only.  We do need a mix, and going into next year we will have 4 true guards in seniors cubi and Mo, Junior Buycks and frosh cadougan,  very thin at the guard.  Personally i feel a big time 2g is the area of greatest need.

I have not seen them play, but I get the impression that the forwards are good ball handlers. If they are guards are not as important.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »
Its college basketball, I'll take a bunch of athletic forwards around 6'6 6'7 6'8 over some slow footed 6'11 guy.  It wasn't hibbert that lead G'town to the final four 2 years ago, as we found out this past year.  Memphis and Kansas both featured athletic 6'9 guys playing the power positions.

... and I remember Cincy kicking the SNOT out of us with guys no bigger than 6'8"ish-

if you can play that style-- athletic, runners, boards, etc.-- then that's what you do.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 02:23:13 PM »
... and I remember Cincy kicking the SNOT out of us with guys no bigger than 6'8"ish-

if you can play that style-- athletic, runners, boards, etc.-- then that's what you do.

January 7, 2006 - 6'6'' Eric Hicks records a triple-double against us with TEN blocks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=260070269

I remember watching that game over winter break at my house and just being in agony because we couldn't stop the kid and couldn't hold on down the stretch.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:25:20 PM by eaglewarrior08 »

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 03:30:02 PM »
While I would prefer 6 10 guys who can post up and score, I have no problem with 6-8 bangers and athletes who can run the floor as long as some of them have an inside game and can post up down low. It sounds to me like Maymon has the ability to post up but Erik Williams appears to be more of a slasher . If we are going to use the ship now available and not land an Aaric Murray type, I hope Buzz can get a 6 8 guy with post up moves who can also run the floor.
Once a warrior always a warrior.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 06:27:41 PM »
January 7, 2006 - 6'6'' Eric Hicks records a triple-double against us with TEN blocks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=260070269

I remember watching that game over winter break at my house and just being in agony because we couldn't stop the kid and couldn't hold on down the stretch.

Ugh.  Especially because that was the game after we blew out UConn.   Agony is a good word to describe that one.