[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Three MU verbal commits in the new Yahoo Rivals Rankings 8/19/08  (Read 7254 times)

detroitwarrior

• Starter
Jeronne Maymon is #46, Junior Cadougan is #60 and Erik Williams is #99.

Jamil Wilson has fallen quite a bit to #93 and Johnny Lacy is #110.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=910&Year=2009&ra_key=1642
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:10:15 PM by detroitwarrior »
Once a warrior always a warrior.

jutaw22mu

• All American
Re: Three MU verbal commits in the new Yahoo Rivals Rankings 8/19/08
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »
Looking good...I think JC could end up as a top 50 player.  It's funny, the guy I'm most looking forward to seeing play next year is the lowest ranked of all of them.  Good to see all our guys ranked up there though.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »

The amazing thing is that the list shows us still in the running for at least five more top 100 recruits:   #11 Snaer, #35 Murray, #84 Parrom,  #92 Colvin,  #93 Wilson

Probably a couple others I missed. 

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:40:40 PM »
Looking good...I think JC could end up as a top 50 player.  It's funny, the guy I'm most looking forward to seeing play next year is the lowest ranked of all of them.  Good to see all our guys ranked up there though.

If I remember correctly Erik was hurt in the late winter and may have used the spring and summer to fully recuperate from that injury which could cause his ranking to fall since he hasn't been seen this summer. Not sure if this is the case. Does anyone know for sure?

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 10:01:47 PM »
yeah hes been injured for awhile and recupperation sounds about right to me

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:00:45 PM »
This is great news!

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 10:29:20 AM »
Plus Maymon isn't playing this summer is he?  I think he's concentrating on his schoolwork.  If he was playing he may be ranked higher as well.  Nice work Buzzard.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 10:46:04 AM »
Don't care about the #93 rank, I'd still love to see Jamil Wilson at MU.  Very nice class to start out with, we'll need them to play LARGE right away.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »
The amazing thing is that the list shows us still in the running for at least five more top 100 recruits:   #11 Snaer, #35 Murray, #84 Parrom,  #92 Colvin,  #93 Wilson

Probably a couple others I missed. 

I've always been a huge backer of getting Wilson to come to MU as I think it would be a perfect fit for both parties.  The kid has phenomenal potential and could easily be the best player out of them all.  However, if we really are looking to add one more player to this roster, not knowing who is leaving for whatever reason, I would probably prefer at this point in time Snaer or Murray over Wilson.  Wilson has the huge potential but will he ever get there.  Snaer sounds like a great 3 point shooter and Murray is a big, two areas I would always look at upgrading, especially since we already have Maymon, Fulce and Erik Williams to man the 3/4.

MUONTOP

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 11:04:09 AM »
Plus Maymon isn't playing this summer is he?  I think he's concentrating on his schoolwork.  If he was playing he may be ranked higher as well.  Nice work Buzzard.

The argument that if they played all summer they would be ranked higher can be argued either way, Maymon had some very strong showings early in the summer and thats why he has been rising if he had kept playing and possibly had some poor showings scouts would have ripped him apart.  Its kind of how Wilson has been playing a ton of events (most of them being very high profile) and has been falling on most of the boards.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:17:54 PM »
Addition of Wilson would make this a class to be watched very closely down the road. I believe if Wilson signs that group has FF written all over it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 02:27:37 PM »
Wilson is a project.   Far more pressing needs than another wf.   We need to save the spot for a pf/c. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 02:55:43 PM »
Wilson is a project.   Far more pressing needs than another wf.   We need to save the spot for a pf/c. 

I know very little first hand, but from what I have read, Jamil Wilson is NOT a project.  Liam McMorrow, now he is project.  And, techincally we have no spots, so it's tough to save for any player.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 03:41:35 PM »
Wilson is no project. Skills on top of skills. He needs to stay focused and work hard all the time. This kid is going to be in the NBA and possibly soon if he learns to work hard.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »
Wilson is most definitely a project.   The tools are there but the production hasn't always been.    Don't know if it's more mental or physical but he may take a few years until his game meets his potential. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 04:16:25 PM »
Wilson is most definitely a project.   The tools are there but the production hasn't always been.    Don't know if it's more mental or physical but he may take a few years until his game meets his potential. 
Jamil Wilson is most definitely NOT a project.  He has a lot of natural talent and does already have some very good basketball skills.  Yes, he obviously needs polishing and needs consistency; but, to say he is a project is incorrect.  He has probably been over-rated prior to this summer; but, he will still be a very good player and can contribute out of the chute at the high major level.  Ooze was a project.  McMorrow is a project.  To lump Wilson with those guys is simply not true.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 04:37:12 PM »
Jamil Wilson is most definitely NOT a project.  He has a lot of natural talent and does already have some very good basketball skills.  Yes, he obviously needs polishing and needs consistency; but, to say he is a project is incorrect.  He has probably been over-rated prior to this summer; but, he will still be a very good player and can contribute out of the chute at the high major level.  Ooze was a project.  McMorrow is a project.  To lump Wilson with those guys is simply not true.

I've never seen Wilson play, so I'm genuinely curious, would you say Wilson is a project like Thabeet and Hibbert were "projects?"  That is to say, a ton of raw talent, but no one is really sure if he will live up to the potential or fizzle out in the end?  He definitely does not seem to be a McMorrow or Ooze type project, but would you say the Thabeet/Hibbert "project" label fits?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »
He's probably going to need a big adjustment in intensity and feel for the game once he gets on a DI campus.   Think Stanley Robinson:   Big potential but he'll need to work a lot harder to maximize his gifts.   

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »
He's probably going to need a big adjustment in intensity and feel for the game once he gets on a DI campus.   Think Stanley Robinson:   Big potential but he'll need to work a lot harder to maximize his gifts.   
Thats a huge difference from being a project....!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 05:23:03 PM »
I've never seen Wilson play, so I'm genuinely curious, would you say Wilson is a project like Thabeet and Hibbert were "projects?"  That is to say, a ton of raw talent, but no one is really sure if he will live up to the potential or fizzle out in the end?  He definitely does not seem to be a McMorrow or Ooze type project, but would you say the Thabeet/Hibbert "project" label fits?
  For his position he is far more skilled than Thabeet or Hibbert.  Jamile needs to work on his shooting and he needs to play hard all of the time.  Otherwise, he is a legit Top 25 to 100 player given his current level.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 08:53:16 PM »
A third party eval:

Here was the response from Jerry Meyer, the rivals national scout, when asked why Wilson has slipped in rankings. 

Certainly don't think he is a grinder and also don't think he has the game to impact at a high level. Doesn't really have a way to score. A lot of scouts have overrated his athleticism. And likes to play between the circles, largely I'm sure because his travel team mistakenly plays him at the point. His dribbling between the circles is practically meaningless for the next level.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 10:12:45 PM »
Wilson is no project. Skills on top of skills. He needs to stay focused and work hard all the time. This kid is going to be in the NBA and possibly soon if he learns to work hard.

He does not have skills on top of skills, that's one of the main reasons he's dropped in the rankings.  He hasn't progressed from what he had two years ago.  He's never developed a decent perimeter game, his mid range game is average at best.  He is an average ball handler overall, maybe above average for his size.  He's a decent passer. 

The only area where he is really skilled is post offense, and he's too small to play the post in college or the NBA.  Unless he dramatically improves it would be a mistake for him to even consider the NBA.