Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] NC State a go  (Read 6259 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] NC State a go
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:00:03 PM »
NC State a go

Written by: Todd Rosiak

MU and NC State have agreed in principle to a home-and-home series beginning this season at the RBC Center in Raleigh, N.C.

The series had been in the works for the past month or so, with NC State working behind the scenes to move a guarantee game in order to accomodate MU.

Having recently been able to do so, the Wolfpack will now host the Golden Eagles on Dec. 22 at a time yet to be determined. The contract is expected to be finalized shortly.

Aside from adding a few more guarantee games, MU's 2008-'09 schedule is pretty much determined. The non-conference portion of Buzz Williams' first season as coach will now be highlighted by:

Northern Iowa (Chicago Invitational)

Dayton (Chicago Invitational)

Wisconsin

Tennessee (SEC/Big East Invitational at Nashville)

NC State

The return date for NC State's game at MU in 2009 is yet to be determined. At this point, the Golden Eagles will host NC State and UW-Milwaukee, play at Wisconsin and also in an early-season tournament in Orlando.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/07/18/nc-state-a-go.aspx

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] NC State a go
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:03:06 PM »
So are we not playing Alabama in the Wooden Tradition now? I don't see why we couldn't, they are on two different days...

I want revenge for 2006  :-\

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »
So are we not playing Alabama in the Wooden Tradition now? I don't see why we couldn't, they are on two different days...

I want revenge for 2006  :-\

In theory, that would mean three games in three days.  Mu would play Alabama in Indiana on the 20th.  Then come back to Milwaukee to play West Carolina on the 21st.  Then fly to NC State after that game and play NC State the 22nd.  No coach is that sadistic.

Besides, revenge for the 1974 NCAA Championship is more important the the 2006 first round.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:01:39 PM »
I don't think we have to worry about Sidney Lowe's son being in attendance.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/25480009.html?location_refer=Gophers:highlightModules:3

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »
In theory, that would mean three games in three days.  Mu would play Alabama in Indiana on the 20th.  Then come back to Milwaukee to play West Carolina on the 21st.  Then fly to NC State after that game and play NC State the 22nd.  No coach is that sadistic.

Besides, revenge for the 1974 NCAA Championship is more important the the 2006 first round.
Assuming the WC game date is correct(?), it seems sadistic enough to me to play West Carolina at the BC on the 21st and turn around and play on the road at NC State on the 22nd...??

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »
Obviously, the WEstern Carolina game will be moved.  I am sure WCU will do what they can to get the $$$ from the Buy game.  Lets just wait and see.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »
Wow - we do not have a total cream puff pre-conference schedule - this is going to be a good test for the team, early.  Go BUZZ!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »
Wow - we do not have a total cream puff pre-conference schedule - this is going to be a good test for the team, early.  Go BUZZ!

Yeah, but did you see Georgetown's?
Georgetown – The Hoyas will play in the loaded Old Spice Classic (8 team, 12 games) in Orlando from Nov. 27-30 along with Michigan State, Gonzaga, Tennessee, Maryland and Oklahoma State. John Thompson III also has non-conference games against Memphis (12/13) and at Duke (1/17).

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/07/17/BIG_EAST_OFFSEASON_ROUNDUP
SS Marquette

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 12:12:24 AM »
I've heard Buzz speak at some parties...he has made it clear; he could care less about how many 20 win seasons he has, he wants teams prepared for March. 

I like it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 10:33:59 AM »
I've heard Buzz speak at some parties...he has made it clear; he could care less about how many 20 win seasons he has, he wants teams prepared for March. 

I like it.

If the Big East doesn't get the team prepared, then something is wrong in the world.  If scheduling changes, he will be the first to change it going back prior to even McGuire.  I'll believe it when I see it due to the financial ramifications.  Still believe we'll have a minimum of 16 home games every year with plenty of purchasable bunnies.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 06:01:07 PM »
I doubt Buzz will veer from the 16 game sked (though I always find it weird that every other dynamic can change at MU but that one) but I think based hearing him talk, that he wants to maximize the sked.  Since the Chi Invite gives you two for 1 at home, that allows him to go out on the road and add an NC State.  I'm just telling you what the man said.  He talked about how he wants road games in December so he'll know how he and his team will respond so there are no surprises in conf.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 10:35:55 PM »
20 game seasons are important to a lot of people - like the NCAA selection committee, impact on rankings, seeding etc.  I don't see Buzz not trying to get to 20 or not carrying about it  - LOL. 

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 08:21:51 AM »
This isn't 1985, 20 games means a lot less nowadays, MU fired a coach who averaged 20 wins.  Preseason tournies, NIT, Expanded Schedules etc.  IMO 25 is the new 20.
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

nola03

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 09:55:52 AM »
This is a mixed bag. I think Alabama is the better team for this season and would provide better competition. On the other hand, NC State is a true road game and if you win that you'll get the RPI bonus points. Also, I'm not convinced that NC State is a "marquee" home game the following season. They'll have to improve a lot to get that status.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 11:29:49 PM »
This is a mixed bag. I think Alabama is the better team for this season and would provide better competition. On the other hand, NC State is a true road game and if you win that you'll get the RPI bonus points. Also, I'm not convinced that NC State is a "marquee" home game the following season. They'll have to improve a lot to get that status.

Good Lord, it's a home and home with an ACC team that has had success in recent years. There's no mixed bag about it, this was much better since we get that home game against a name team. At least we're seeing a game like this scheduled, instead of hearing about the annual "almost scheduled game" with Gonzaga or Alabama in November.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 08:24:50 AM »

I don't know how anyone can be anything but excited by this.  This is a pretty solid road test before we hit the BE conference schedule.  Even if NC State is one of the worst teams in the ACC, it's a great game to have to rachet up the competition level before we hit Jan. 

I, for one, am thrilled.  NOLA, you say this isn't a marquee game.  It may not be Arizona or Wake when we signed them to home and homes, but this is a damn solid option.  I will take it, without a doubt. 

nola03

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 10:03:41 AM »
Good Lord, it's a home and home with an ACC team that has had success in recent years. There's no mixed bag about it, this was much better since we get that home game against a name team. At least we're seeing a game like this scheduled, instead of hearing about the annual "almost scheduled game" with Gonzaga or Alabama in November.

ACC on the schedule is great. A team that has won 9 conference games over the last two seasons is not great. A team that is being led by an inexperienced coach at this level seems to have no direction. He had an NBA player last season in Hickson and two fantastic talents in Costner and McCauley and yet they still lost 8 conference games by double digits. That's not even being competitive.

Conference affiliation only gets you so far. Is St. John's a marquee game? Name team and Big East affiliation. Is California a marquee game? Name team and PAC-10 affiliation. For me, taking history into account is great but MU is playing the people not the name. For this equation, record over the last two seasons under Lowe trumps everything else.

It's still my opinion that it's a mixed bag relative to Alabama. They are a darkhorse title contender in the SEC this season. A neutral game against them would be great prep for the NCAA Tournament both in location and opposition. The flip of that is a true road game in Raleigh and the benefits that accrues with RPI points which may help us if we are again stuck in the seeding dilemma of the past few seasons.

As for the return game, we can differ on what we see as a marquee home game. Arizona was a star-laden team with Frye, Adams, and Shakur. Wake Forest was a dynamic team when we signed with them. There's no question this is better then Sacramento State but if NC State has a 14-18 season and comes into the BC in December 09 are people going to be anticipating that match-up like we were with the Wildcats and Demon Deacons? Would UWM have more of an attraction for fans because of the recent history? Will it be considered one of the top three home games on the 20 game schedule?

A marquee game would provide the answers to these questions quite easily.

sigep80

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 10:08:16 AM »
I'm not a fan of these "great games to see" Non Conference  games.  Folks on this board will be howling if we lose 3, 4, or 5 times before BEast play, and then finish with 6 or 7 losses in conference.  That will put MU with 9, 10, or 11 losses, out of the top 25 and a 6, 7 or 8 seed in the tourney.

The BEast is just too strong a conference to schedule this many quality opponents.  The win loss record does count in how you are seeded, and we need to guarantee a certain number of wins outside of conference play.

While I appaud Buzz for scheduling tough games in an attempt to toughen his team, I just hope it isn't too tough, resulting in a low seed and a tourney matchup that is way too hard.  

I hope I don't have to read a bunch of Buzz is qualified, wasn't a good hire messages come next March, it would be a real shame.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 11:20:18 AM »

What recent success?  Since Herb left, they've had none.  2nd to last place both years under Coach Lowe.  I'm glad it's an ACC team....even if it's the dregs of the ACC.  When I was a student at MU we had a home and home with NC State as well.  Tom Gugliatta played for the Wolfpack back then and we beat them like a drum at MU if I recall. 

Always good to have a "name" team on the schedule but I'd argue that Nebraska (who many fans here weren't thrilled about playing) was a better team then this NC State team.  I have no doubts actually.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 01:22:06 PM »
All I am saying is this- people crucified Crean for not being able to schedule a decent home and home since Arizona. We have one now. It's not the sexiest name but it sure beats hearing about a deal that almost happened. I'd much rather have a game against NC State at home next year (when we will be significantly weaker) than a neutral game against Bama this year. Our schedule will be plenty tough this year as it is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »
All I am saying is this- people crucified Crean for not being able to schedule a decent home and home since Arizona. We have one now. It's not the sexiest name but it sure beats hearing about a deal that almost happened. I'd much rather have a game against NC State at home next year (when we will be significantly weaker) than a neutral game against Bama this year. Our schedule will be plenty tough this year as it is.

I guess that's the question....is NC State any better then Nebraska....honestly, no.  In name yes, in reality...no.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 02:13:38 PM »
I guess that's the question....is NC State any better then Nebraska....honestly, no.  In name yes, in reality...no.

+1

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 02:28:36 PM »
Until Marquette beats NCSU I wouldn't downplay the game.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 03:02:08 PM »
Until Marquette beats NCSU I wouldn't downplay the game.

the same could be said for just about any opponent, but i don't see ncsu being one of the 5 or 6 toughest road games for mu next year

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 11:20:08 AM »
the same could be said for just about any opponent, but i don't see ncsu being one of the 5 or 6 toughest road games for mu next year

Likely not, but it will be a good tune-up before conference play, as opposed to the trash we played at home after the Wisconsin win last year.  This is a fairly challenging road game a week and a half before the BE season starts.  It should help us at least somewhat in dealing with the road pressure we will feel in the conference season. 

Is NC State a great program right now?  No, they're admittedly in a funk under Sidney Lowe.  But even if they are at the very bottom of the ACC (Virginia will be worse without Singletary, IMO, and BC doesn't look like any great shakes either), it is still a potential near top 100 RPI win, which will help at the end of the season.  Of course, there is the risk of losing this one, but with this loaded team we have, and with the NC State students on break, we should be favored in this game, and there is the payoff of getting road experience + RPI benefit at the end of the year.

I agree with those above that this isn't quite Arizona or Wake when we played them, but it is still very solid, and I'm quite pleased.  I prefer this home and home to one neutral site game against Alabama.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:25:24 AM by MUViking »