[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT Bears/Pack Flex Scheduling  (Read 8901 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: OT Bears/Pack Flex Scheduling
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 06:29:39 PM »
The public ownership aspect of the Packers is a bit of a farce. You have voting rights, but the shares do not pay dividends and they cannot appreciate. Also, the number any individual can own is limited so someone cannot come in and take control of the team. Basically, the stock entitles you to hang a certificate on your wall for all of your friends to see. Although in the end, it was a smart move as the "stockholders" from the sale in the 90's paid for the stadium renovation without the team having to issue PSL's.

You said it exactly. No one person can take control of the team, i.e. become a 'private' owner. The team is, therefore, owned by the public. Stockholders' voting rights further reinforce their ownership. Note I said 'owned' and not 'traded,' but your point is valid.

Also, regarding PSLs, I'm assuming you're referring to seat licenses for season tickets. Is this different from the seat tax that season ticket holders paid at the time of the renovation? Thanks.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 06:34:23 PM »
Just for clarification I believe the White Sox finished 6th or 7th in payroll when all was said and done.  The Cubs finished outside of the top 10. 
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 03:26:12 AM »
MarquetteFan94... the Brewers gave Carlos Lee an offer, and he turned it down for more money, he wasn't going to sign, so instead of just letting him go to free agency, we traded him, and got a heck of a deal for Lee (lets face it, Lee gets tired after the All-Star Break)... and with the money, all I am saying is the Cubs have a crap ton more money, and can't produce, they overspend on mediocre talent, get all Cub fans hyped up, to lose.  Which is fine with me, Ive won many cases of beers betting on Cub/Brewer games, so its great.  And the casual Brewer fan should be exciting about seeing Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, and Bill Hall.  All four of these guys are tremendously talented, and ridiculously young, a healthy season with Sheets, Cappy, Suppan, and the Brewers could make a very good run this year.  Not to mention Corey Hart, expect him to be the sleeper this year for the Brewers.

As for the Bear/Packer game, it is real crapty what NFL did, is there a need to change the game, expecially if it means nothing (if the Rams OR Giants win, the Pack are out, and the Bears have nothing to play for, and Favre will come back next year, no reason why he wouldn't).  I boo the NFL
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 11:06:59 PM »

they're 13-2 because they're the best team in the NFC.
[/quote]

anyone else hear that opening and closing of the throat? yeeeaaaa, thats the collective deep throating of the bears, in case you were wondering. best team in the nfc, THE NFC! look at their schedule for christ's sake. its pathetic. any sane person will give the bears credit for 3 wins, seattle, nyg, and nyj (keep in mind, the giants and jets are both bubble teams at this point, for the wildcard) that are would hold water in the playoffs. as far as playing the patriots close, should could woulda's happen in the nfl every week (look at the gianst recently, or the titans on the flipside) referring to those near wins just isn't credible. i can think of three teams in the jets, colts and broncos, who DID win at new england this year.

I urge anyone who is interested in looking at a weak schedule to look below
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=chi

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 01:09:56 AM »
The bears can only play who the NFL schedules them to play. 

The Chargers only have one more game against a team that will finish at least .500 and also lost to the best (judging by wins and losses) team that they will play this year.  Why aren't you harping on them too?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2006, 09:59:01 AM »

they're 13-2 because they're the best team in the NFC.

anyone else hear that opening and closing of the throat? yeeeaaaa, thats the collective deep throating of the bears, in case you were wondering. best team in the nfc, THE NFC! look at their schedule for christ's sake. its pathetic. any sane person will give the bears credit for 3 wins, seattle, nyg, and nyj (keep in mind, the giants and jets are both bubble teams at this point, for the wildcard) that are would hold water in the playoffs. as far as playing the patriots close, should could woulda's happen in the nfl every week (look at the gianst recently, or the titans on the flipside) referring to those near wins just isn't credible. i can think of three teams in the jets, colts and broncos, who DID win at new england this year.

I urge anyone who is interested in looking at a weak schedule to look below
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=chi
[/quote]

Is there something wrong with being the best team in the NFC?!  Last I checked, only three teams have gone undefeated through either conference since the NFL-AFL merger...all three have won the Super Bowl....say what you will about the Bears schedule....I'm guessing there a handful of NFC teams out there that wouldn't mind sitting at 11-0 in conference with a chance to run the table on Sunday.

As it has been pointed out, the Bears don't set their own schedule...I guess they're overrated.  :)