'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Update: You are to blame  (Read 12177 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Update: You are to blame
« on: July 10, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »
Update: You are to blame

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (mu_hilltopper)

Ok, Tuesday I wrote that I thought MU made a bad decision on adding UW to the 5-pack slate because in the end, Badger fans will buy the package, profit from selling the other 4 games and essentially go to the biggest game of the year for free.

That got Marquette's attention, and I've swapped many emails with the Athletic Department about the issue. The MU/UW game never went on sale to groups, nor individually to the public.

While it is still true a number of Badger fans get their tickets through 5-Packs, MU believes most of the trouble is the Season Ticket Holders themselves.

See, in 2006 each Season Ticket Holder got to buy 10 extra tickets, all in the upper bowl. With where the red invaders were sitting, Marquette contends that the majority of the problem rests with the Season Ticket Holders selling their tickets to our hated rivals.

Additionally, about a fourth of the lower bowl was red, which means Season Ticket Holders are giving their own seats up.

I am dumbfounded. Flabbergasted. Astonished. Horrified.

So I am writing to you, my fellow Season Ticket Holders. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?

For a couple seats, you drop around $1,500 each year, schlep to the Bradley Center in the cold and snow 20 some times. You wait two years for this day, the biggest game of the year in the whole state, and give up your seat to our most hated rival? HAVE YOU NO SOUL?

As for the uppers you are apparently selling .. again. Have you no loyalty? Have you no Marquette friends? I know it's a down economy, but come on. You need money that bad? That you'd sell out your own team?

YOU were the reason we lost in 2006. It wasn't Tim Higgins or Ed Hightower who screwed us. IT WAS YOU. It was the 6k-7k Badger fans YOU let in that screwed up our home court ju-ju. You're like the guy who buzzes the burglar in to the apartment complex.

In 2006, I bought my 10 tickets for Warrior friends, and told them days before: No gold, no ticket on game day.

So this year, take the Cracked Sidewalks Pledge: I WILL FIND 10 MARQUETTE FANS TO GO TO THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR. I WILL NOT SELL OUT MY TEAM.

Oh, and I promise you this. Ever go to FandAFanPhotos.com? We'll be sure to compare some before/after shots and publicly shame lower bowl offenders. (Especially guys named Larry.)

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/07/update-you-are-to-blame.html
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:17:07 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Blackhat

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Update: You are to blame
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 05:24:30 PM »
I took my old man to the UW/MU game in '04 and I told him if he wants to wear red that's fine but he'll have to wait outside in the cold till the games over.  And I was dead serious I would have left him and picked up a chick from a local bar or something.    I think he wore green. 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 05:37:04 PM »
I have an agreement with a relative that works for UW. I get him tickets here and he gets me tickets at UW. I thoroughly enjoy the win at the Kohl Center last year. There were several people that were wearing gold at the Kohl Center. It goes both ways. Quit whining, anybody has a right to go to a game.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »
I bought five upper bowl tickets last time the evil empire was in town.  All, plus three of my four season seats went to gold and blue wearing, died in the wool, MU fans.  To please your ju ju god, I'll buy ten or whatever maximum is alloted to me this year, and give them to MU students or whomever I know is a fan, but I'll be damned if I'm not inviting my partner, and he will be wearing red.  Look for the guy with a look of disgust on his face as we hand their asses to them. 

Can I come out of the garage now?  The one with the dormers?   
Ludum habemus.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 06:19:01 PM »
I bought five upper bowl tickets last time the evil empire was in town.  All, plus three of my four season seats went to gold and blue wearing, died in the wool, MU fans.  To please your ju ju god, I'll buy ten or whatever maximum is alloted to me this year, and give them to MU students or whomever I know is a fan, but I'll be damned if I'm not inviting my partner, and he will be wearing red.  Look for the guy with a look of disgust on his face as we hand their asses to them. 

Tell your life partner that for one night red is unacceptable.  Why is it so hard telling your friend to wear a nuetral to the game.  I know I've had to do that before. 

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 07:05:51 PM »
Tell your life partner that for one night red is unacceptable.  Why is it so hard telling your friend to wear a nuetral to the game.  I know I've had to do that before. 

Life partner?  I'm talking business partner.  He'll wear neutral the day I wear neutral in Madison.   Never.
Ludum habemus.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »
Life partner?  I'm talking business partner.  He'll wear neutral the day I wear neutral in Madison.   Never.

I'd rather not watch the game in Madison then allow someone into our house wearing the opposition's colors.  That's crazy to me and I've got family that work for UW.   If he's just your business partner then there's no excuse; it's time to nut up and lay down the law to your buddy.   Unless he's the brains behind your business.   

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »
I'd rather not watch the game in Madison then allow someone into our house wearing the opposition's colors.  That's crazy to me and I've got family that work for UW.   If he's just your business partner then there's no excuse; it's time to nut up and lay down the law to your buddy.   Unless he's the brains behind your business.   

See I just think thats insane.  My by then wife will be coming to the game with me and she will be wearing red.  I'm not willing to pick that fight, I'd never win.  I will limit the badger people I bring in to her, but to be this ironclad is insane.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 08:27:02 PM »
To each his own I guess.   We really are our own problem then.   No need to blame 5 packs. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 08:31:08 PM »
I'll be damned if I'm not inviting my partner, and he will be wearing red. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  

Oh, and I hear your brother is moving to Tosa to run for Alderman so you have to kiss that garage good bye.

---

I still blame 5-packs, am still against putting UW in that group.    You know what?  Make it a 10 pack, put the UW game in there.  THAT would be a killer for UW fans to dispense with 9 other tickets.

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  

Oh, and I hear your brother is moving to Tosa to run for Alderman so you have to kiss that garage good bye.

---

I still blame 5-packs, am still against putting UW in that group.    You know what?  Make it a 10 pack, put the UW game in there.  THAT would be a killer for UW fans to dispense with 9 other tickets.

Brilliant idea.  Let's make it really, really difficult for all of the MU alums who want to purchase tickets to the game too!  Believe it or now, there are many, many MU fans who live out of state or simply cannot afford to purchase season tickets, but they would still like to go to some games including one of the biggest on the schedule.  By making it a 10 pack, you not only are making it tough on Badger fans, but you are also making it tough on MU fans. 

jce

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 09:40:31 PM »

Are you kidding?  Its just a basketball game.  We sound like a bunch of small town idiots in this thread.  Do you think UW fans obsess like this about the "opposition's colors?"

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:02:43 PM »
Are you kidding?  Its just a basketball game.  We sound like a bunch of small town idiots in this thread.  Do you think UW fans obsess like this about the "opposition's colors?"

Um, actually they start the "a-hole" chant if they see opposing colors.  But, truth be told, it's rare for opposing colors to be seen at the Kohl Center, since the grateful (puke) red sell out every game. 
Ludum habemus.

MilwaukeeSportsFan

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 10:05:21 PM »
Selling the other four games for a profit and going to the UW game free assumption is invalid.

The excess supply of tickets for the 4 so-so games will far outweigh the demand.  As a result, ticket prices for the resale of those games will be very low.

Say a Bucky fan pays $125 for a ticket package ($25 per ticket).  He or she could resell the WVU ticket for about $10 and the other three games for about $5 each.  The way I see it, he or she will be paying $25 in the aggregate for the WVU, Seton Hall, DePaul, and Cincy games and $100 for the UW game.

If you were to buy this five pack and sell it off in pieces, you'd be very dependent on the UW game going for over $100 to make a profit.

Likely, the other games will have so little value UW fans will either go or give the tickets to MU fans... either way, MU will probably have added support for conference opponents.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:09:52 PM by MilwaukeeSportsFan »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2008, 10:14:32 PM »
Brilliant idea.  Let's make it really, really difficult for all of the MU alums who want to purchase tickets to the game too!  Believe it or now, there are many, many MU fans who live out of state or simply cannot afford to purchase season tickets, but they would still like to go to some games including one of the biggest on the schedule.  By making it a 10 pack, you not only are making it tough on Badger fans, but you are also making it tough on MU fans. 
.. Sorry, I should have been more specific.  Offer a 5-pack.  Hell, offer two of them.   Just no UW game in the 5 packs.    Then, also offer a 10 pack, with the UW game.

My intention is not to make it harder for other alums to get to games.  I understand the need for 5 packs.  The UW game is a special one, no doubt, and no system would be perfect. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 12:37:05 AM »
TAKE ME!

But you're going to also have to cover my airfare and hotel expenses. :(
SS Marquette

TJ

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 02:29:10 AM »
my friend, an mu fan/alum, came to the game in 2006 dressed in a red fleece.  He hadn't even thought about it.

jce

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »
Um, actually they start the "a-hole" chant if they see opposing colors.  But, truth be told, it's rare for opposing colors to be seen at the Kohl Center, since the grateful (puke) red sell out every game. 

In the student section yes...but not in the rest of the place.  I have a friend with season tickets at the Kohl and I wear my gold everytime he takes me regardless of who they are playing, and I have never gotten a single bad word.  Some ribbing, yes....I am the "Marquette Guy"...but my friend has never told me *not* to wear it.

warriormom

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 07:43:52 AM »
See I just think thats insane.  My by then wife will be coming to the game with me and she will be wearing red.  I'm not willing to pick that fight, I'd never win.  I will limit the badger people I bring in to her, but to be this ironclad is insane.

I would never marry a Badger fan in the first place.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »
What they should do is raise the ticket price for the UW game. What is happening at UW (and at other univeristies) is the big donors who have first crack at buying away game tickets in football are buying them and selling them on ticket sites for profit. I do not have a problem with someone buying a ticket to go to a game. What I have a problem with is people who have first crack buying the tickets and reselling them for more than face. Since there is great demand for UW tickets, MU should raise the price of single game tickets for UW.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 07:48:03 AM »

Opposites attract

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 07:59:43 AM »
Opposites attract

....definitely according to Paula Abdul.  Bless her heart.  :-p

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »

A ring a ding ding! Game, set, and match  ;)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 08:44:05 AM »

Hey I can't pick who is actually willing to marry me....you could make the argument that a badger fan is the only one mentally damaged enough to do so.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 08:46:13 AM »
I would be interested to see some pictures of the crowd from one of these games.  I haven't been to a game since 91 and I do not think it was a bad problem back then.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 08:51:32 AM »
I would be interested to see some pictures of the crowd from one of these games.  I haven't been to a game since 91 and I do not think it was a bad problem back then.

Yeah because the Badgers hadn't yet discovered the sport of basketball in '91

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 08:51:45 AM »
Agreed, if you think I should leave my wife at home for that game (we have two season tiks) you are nuts.  She will wear her red, and every other game of the year at MU games she will wear MU colors, she wouldn't expect me to wear neutral colors in the Kohl hole so why should I expect it of her in the BC.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 08:58:34 AM »
I mostly don't have any issues with Sir Larry bringing his partner to the game.  If he had 19 other partners that were all UW fans, that would be a different story.  Likewise, I mostly have no issue with people that bring their UW spouse.*

Neither of those scenarios explain the 6-7k people that were at the BC for that last game, or the huge grouping of seats for UW fans.  People that purchased group tickets for UW fans are the biggest offender. 

*except that people who maintain friendly relations with Badger fans are exercising highly suspect judgment.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 09:00:22 AM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 09:00:45 AM »
Yeah because the Badgers hadn't yet discovered the sport of basketball in '91

Got to love the Yoder Era.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 09:44:31 AM »
Got to love the Yoder Era.

Or the eras that preceded that one for 40+ years

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 10:24:00 AM »

The estimates in the blog post are inflated. The last time they were here there was at most 4k. No way was 1/3 of the crowd wearing red.

It only seemed like it because we laid a major egg and the place got quiet.

My guess is there will be a couple thousand this year. That'll happen in a game like this.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »
I asked this in the ticket thread, but who controls the suite ticketing?  Last time the suites were at least 75% red.  It was embarassing.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »
I mostly don't have any issues with Sir Larry bringing his partner to the game.  If he had 19 other partners that were all UW fans, that would be a different story.  Likewise, I mostly have no issue with people that bring their UW spouse.*

Neither of those scenarios explain the 6-7k people that were at the BC for that last game, or the huge grouping of seats for UW fans.  People that purchased group tickets for UW fans are the biggest offender. 

*except that people who maintain friendly relations with Badger fans are exercising highly suspect judgment.

Henry, lets just admit that of all the things UW@Probation does wrong they don't do a bad job of producing women that at least compete with if not surpass what Marquette women have to offer....mostly its a matter of numbers.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »
I asked this in the ticket thread, but who controls the suite ticketing?  Last time the suites were at least 75% red.  It was embarassing.

The company leasing the suite controls the tickets to their suite.  Suites aren't leased according to event, they're leased for all MU, Bucks and Admirals games. 

Think through the process of how a company will allocate it's tickets to the MU/UW game:
--If the company is owned or managed by an MU fan, he or she will offer the tickets to fellow MU fans (mostly).
--If the company is owned or managed by a UW fan, he or she will offer the tickets to fellow UW fans (mostly).
--If the company is owned or managed by anyone else (say an Iowa State fan), he doesn't really care wether MU or UW fans take the tickets, as long as the don't go to waste.  Since MU fans are more likely to already have tickets to the game (as season ticket holders), there is a greater likelihood that UW fans would jump at the chance to take the tickets.

Similary theory on the suites leased on a game by game basis.  Anyone who can afford a suite for one game can undoubtedly afford season tickets for all MU games, thus wouldn't need the suite.   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »

Whomever purchased the suite controls it.  Most suites are sold on multi year contracts or a single year contract which includes all events.  When suites aren't sold, sometimes they sell them per game or as party suites, but MU doesn't have any control either way.  MU receives it's cut of the revenue from the suites for MU games, but the selling of the suites is a Bradley Center / Milwaukee Bucks function.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
All we have to do is win the game. No body cares how many Badger fans are at the game if we win. This is like UWM complaining because we left the starters in.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »
Two things .. first, forget decreasing Badger fans if you wish, focus on the idea that less Badgers = more Warriors able to watch their team.  That alone is reason enough.

Second, having Badger fans at the BC is kind of like going to a smoky bar.  You can have a good time, but when you leave, you need to wash your clothes from the stink.

CoachRaymondsClass

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008, 06:44:24 PM »
Henry Sugar is right on this, and the MU Ath Dept/"Marketing" is wrong. However, no one ever accused college sports athl depts as being bastions of places with high quality marketing sharps (think about MU run by a internal politics expert/lawyer and TC's former PR lackey - think Procter & Gamble would be hiring them to run a brand?)

Those who think it is OK to allow Badger fans easy access are wrong. We want a dominant home court advantage.

We should go to the 10 ticket package... can't the folks running ticketsales at MU recognize this? While we generally don't care anymore about TC's POV, I was part of a group discussion about this with him after the last game in Milw and he was not happy about the amount of "red" in the stands... he commented that they should go to the 10 package to further deter Badgers from accessing tickets - he was right.

Where the Athl Dept is right is about some of our own season ticket base being part of the problem. In fact, there are many Badger lovers who buy our season tickets and cheer for MU, except when we play the red demons... then they revert to the state love for the Rodents (even though they probably graduated from Oshkosh or Whereeverwater). Many long time holders sell their tickets at profit and watch on TV too. Too bad. But the Athl Dept has made a bad decision about including UW-extension Madison in the 5 pack. We've opened the door and hurt our dominant home court advantage, which is what college sports is about.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008, 06:58:31 PM »
Update: You are to blame

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (mu_hilltopper)

Ok, Tuesday I wrote that I thought MU made a bad decision on adding UW to the 5-pack slate because in the end, Badger fans will buy the package, profit from selling the other 4 games and essentially go to the biggest game of the year for free.

That got Marquette's attention, and I've swapped many emails with the Athletic Department about the issue. The MU/UW game never went on sale to groups, nor individually to the public.

While it is still true a number of Badger fans get their tickets through 5-Packs, MU believes most of the trouble is the Season Ticket Holders themselves.

See, in 2006 each Season Ticket Holder got to buy 10 extra tickets, all in the upper bowl. With where the red invaders were sitting, Marquette contends that the majority of the problem rests with the Season Ticket Holders selling their tickets to our hated rivals.

Additionally, about a fourth of the lower bowl was red, which means Season Ticket Holders are giving their own seats up.

I am dumbfounded. Flabbergasted. Astonished. Horrified.

So I am writing to you, my fellow Season Ticket Holders. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?

I will accept this as your apology on behalf of the 5 game pack holders who you decided should get screwed out of a conference game based on guess work.

As for the 'problem,' we go to a school in a city where most of the population and money support a rival team.  There will be some at the game. Get over it.  If we want to have more fans there then we just have to keep winning and get Milwaukee behinds us.  They should be despirate for a winner this year after the annual 2nd half brewer collapse is fininshed up.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008, 07:32:38 PM »
Hmm.  I'm going with, that's not an apology.  I don't want the UW game in ANY 5-pack.  I'd be for the 10-pack idea, though, that would be a pretty large deterrent to a UW fan. 

I'd also be fore "alumni sales" of 5-packs with a UW game included.   

Come to think of it .. I think Alumni sales would be a great idea.  Let any alumni get 2 tickets, THEN let the STH's have the remainder.    I'll bet there wouldn't be any left for 5-packs, 10-packs, or public sales.

Sure, the ticket office would need access to a database of alumni, which just can't be too tough.  That data exists.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »
Hmm.  I'm going with, that's not an apology.  I don't want the UW game in ANY 5-pack.  I'd be for the 10-pack idea, though, that would be a pretty large deterrent to a UW fan. 

I'd also be fore "alumni sales" of 5-packs with a UW game included.   

Come to think of it .. I think Alumni sales would be a great idea.  Let any alumni get 2 tickets, THEN let the STH's have the remainder.    I'll bet there wouldn't be any left for 5-packs, 10-packs, or public sales.

Sure, the ticket office would need access to a database of alumni, which just can't be too tough.  That data exists.

This is absolutely the best idea I've read in this thread. This way, you can prevent the Badger fans from getting tickets, and still allowing most MU fans who want 5-packs including UW to get one.

To those who think it is somehow unethical to have mutual agreement with a UW friend to let them come to the BC in red if you could go to Kohl in gold, seriously get over yourself. It is just sports people! I can't believe are upset that a few MU alums married some UW alums.

Seriously, we just dislike their basketball team, we shouldn't hate their fans.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »
Hey, it's not like I want to hate their fans, they give me enough reason to on their own!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:16:26 PM by MUfan12 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2008, 01:16:33 PM »

You sound just like my wife.  

Yes, I hate their fans, those classy fans I had to hear chanting "F-U, Marquette" as they taunted us as my family walked back to the car after losing in 2006.   Talk about your bad winners.    I think most of us hate their fans more than their team.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
I realize that you are too stuborn about this to apologize but it's ok i accept your apology.  And feel free to complain about some badger fans getting into the game.  And it doesn't bother me when you claim that your ideas would work and wouldn't be a pain in the ass (i'm not sure not letting non-alums in would qualify as an attempt to get the city behind mu)  although you have no supporting data and are just coming up with theories to solve a problem that I'm not sure exists.  
There will be badger fans there, always and forever.  If you force them to ask their co-worker who went to MU to buy them he's not going to say 'only if you wear gold' and mean it.   It's hard to sell out an nba arena to no one but fans who are fannatical enough to start up, or even visit, a web site.

But none of your ideas bother me as long as you don't start some sort of email campain to f'up the five game packages which are currently loaded and awesome.  That does nothing but bother fans who take advantage of that program.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 01:31:37 PM »
There are "classy" fans like that on both sides of the rivalry....its just there are a lot more badger fans in general so probability dictates you are much more likely to run into them and in greater numbers :)  I have plenty of family that love the badgers that are still ok people, just bad at picking teams.

In the end there is always going to be a ton of badger fans that want to get into the games.  We should worry about putting a good product on the floor and MU people stepping up and buying tickets to "solve" this problem.  If MU fans bought the tickets before Badger fans this wouldn't be a problem.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2008, 04:32:29 PM »
I realize that you are too stuborn about this to apologize but it's ok i accept your apology.  ..  And it doesn't bother me when you claim that your ideas would work and wouldn't be a pain in the ass (i'm not sure not letting non-alums in would qualify as an attempt to get the city behind mu)  although you have no supporting data and are just coming up with theories to solve a problem that I'm not sure exists.  

No, do not accept that as any sort of apology, with your attitude, none is given.

I agree that I'm being "stuborn" (sic) about thinking about ways to keep our home court advantage.  Aren't we all on the same page here?  If we could find a decent way to do this, wouldn't you want to see if it could work?   We're hosting the game of the year, wouldn't you rather entertain more MU fans, than fewer?  Wouldn't you want the home-court advantage to be higher, not lower?  MU routinely sells out other big games, it's pretty easy to jump to the conclusion there are easily 19K MU fans who want to see the UW game.

"..solve a problem that I'm not sure exists"?  huh?  Have you been to a MU/UW game at the BC, like in 2006?  Maybe you're color blind and deaf, and if so, accept my apology on that, but I saw and heard 25-35% of the fans wearing red, cheering against the home-court team.  THAT'S A PROBLEM, especially when there are PLENTY of MU fans who want those tickets.

I wasn't kidding when I said UW fans at the game contributed to our crushing loss in 2006.  Any team plays differently in front of 19,000 fans, than it does in front of 13,000 fans and 6,000 enemies.  It isn't just for my benefit that we reduce the number of UW fans smelling up the place. 

And I never said "not let non-alums into the game".  I suggested we sell tickets to Alums FIRST.  You got a problem with prioritizing Alumni for a Marquette event?   ::) 

Finally .. your comment that you don't care about any of these solutions, just don't touch your 5-pack, reveals your motivation.  As long as you get to see the game...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:16:58 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2008, 06:52:03 PM »

That's lame. My wife is a Cubs fan, and if I can marry a Cub fan, then anything can happen.
We Are Marquette

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2008, 07:04:44 PM »
That's lame. My wife is a Cubs fan, and if I can marry a Cub fan, then anything can happen.

I dunno.. badger fans are a different breed.. married one myself.. stuck with it for almost 5 years.. finally had to end the misery ;)  ended up marrying a white sox fan.. converted her to be a cubs fan.. life is good now  8-)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2008, 09:00:19 PM »

"..solve a problem that I'm not sure exists"?  huh?  Have you been to a MU/UW game at the BC, like in 2006?  Maybe you're color blind and deaf, and if so, accept my apology on that, but I saw and heard 25-35% of the fans wearing red, cheering against the home-court team.  THAT'S A PROBLEM, especially when there are PLENTY of MU fans who want those tickets.

The question is why do UW fans value those tickets more than MU fans?

Let's look at one aspect--your theory that UW fans could buy 5 packs, sell the other four games and see UW for free.  If there are "PLENTY of MU fans" who supposedly also want those tickets, why aren't they ALSO buying the same five packs, selling the other four games, and seeing UW for free?  It's a pretty strong criticism of MU to say that their own fans can't figure out what you suggest any garden variety UW fan is going to be doing in droves.

This is a pretty simple rational economics situation:  UW fans are willing to pay more for a basketball game than MU fans.  There isn't a ticket sales plan you can come up with that is going to change that simple fact. 

Let's look at the underlying facts: 
1.  MU fans have 20 chances to see their team in Milwaukee, UW fans have just one. 
2.  Because the BC is rarely sold out (nearly 2x as many seats as students), MU fans know they'll have additional chances to see their team against an equal or better opponent.  Because the Kohl is usually sold out (1/2 as many seats as students)  UW fans know that they seldom have a chance to see an opponent equal to MU.
3.  MU fans can always look forward to some strong Big East competition.  UW fans know that if they don't see a Big East opponent, the best they'll get is some Big 10 team (like Indiana).
4.  There are more UW fans than MU fans chasing a fixed number of tickets.  Even if all parties are willing to pay the same price, odds are a UW fan is going to get a large share because there are more of them.   
5.  MU fans are are savvy enough to take an inflated sum from some irrational UW sap willing to pay it.  I see nothing wrong with profiting from the hide of UW fans. 

Sorry, but we're simply not going to stop UW fans from attending the game against MU in the Bradley Center. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2008, 09:09:39 PM »
As I said before, after I exchanged emails with the Athletic Dept on the subject, it's obvious that the 5-packs are a smaller part of the problem than I had originally thought.    But it's still, at least part.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 11:50:29 PM »
Too late apology accepted.

Actually i live in vegas now and don't have a five pack anymore.  My motivation for you not wanting to screw up the five pack is purly altruistic for other fans who enjoy that option as well as thinking that it would hurt the chances for MU fans to go.  As for 'as long as you see the game'.  Seriously?  what a dick thing to say.  we just won at their house.  They may win at ours, I didn't think that 'warriors' were so big on excuses, i guess hilltoppers are.

And like i said, your solutions won't work.  You live in an area where there is probably 60k people who want to see the game.  40k of those will want to wear red(12 of the other 20 are already going, these numbers are made up but go ahead and double them, I think that the ratio is pretty accurate).  Many of those are the bosses of season ticket holders, coworkers of season ticket holders, friends of STHs and their significant others.  The problem is that it is common practice for STHs to buy 12 tickets and sell them to people without concern as to who gets it.  They will get those tickets, there is no perfect solution, if anything the 5 pack is part of the reason there isn't more.

And don't comment on my attitude.  I've been perfectly aimiable and friendly, you are the one who thinks we should find a way to by pass the laws of supply and demand(alluded to by MU84).  If you could do that, without messing with your fellow fans,  then great.  I haven't seen a solution that i think would work yet (imo) and cutting it out of the 5 pack would be completely in the wrong direction.  The amount of red would increase significantly, and apparently that would then be the 'reason' we lost if we did.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2008, 07:35:51 AM »

you're brainwashed from living in Madison as a youth. lol. we do hate their fans...a lot. They follow a team that has just won recently so they see the team as the be all end all of midwest college basketball. Some have clear thinking but a large number are just stupidly obnoxious (and I specialize on obnoxiousness without trying to sound stupid.  ;) ) there are a few who will understand this analogy...they are like Chelsea fans of English soccer.

jce

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »
I wasn't kidding when I said UW fans at the game contributed to our crushing loss in 2006.  Any team plays differently in front of 19,000 fans, than it does in front of 13,000 fans and 6,000 enemies.  It isn't just for my benefit that we reduce the number of UW fans smelling up the place. 

That's a failure more due to Marquette fans than it is the MU ticket office.  There are more UW fans than there are MU fans around Milwaukee.  Therefore they are going to get their hands on tickets really no matter what MU does.  I can guaranty you that even MU alums would sell the UW game in their five pack for the right price if it meant seeing the other four for a reduced cost.

feedback