[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: O'tule just checked in to Humphrey  (Read 33818 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
O'tule just checked in to Humphrey
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:39:31 PM »
Chris is moving in now as is Liam McMorrow. Anyone know any info about this? Did he sign for next year? i'm guessing he did since he wouldn't move in if he isn't and he's listed as men's bball on the Humphrey roster. Oh the joys of knowing what the players are up to off the court.

nola03

Re: O'tule just checked in to Humphrey
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »
1. So is the apostrophe in his name or not? O'tule, O'Tule, Otule?

2. If the reports on McMorrow are accurate Buzz may be just as loose with his open scholarships as Crean.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:53:45 PM »
first or last option. he doesn't put it in with his signature so i'd say Otule. As for the loose scholarships, we'll see how that turns out. He looks pretty athletic and is taller than Otule standing side by side so we'll have to see what he can do.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »
1. So is the apostrophe in his name or not? O'tule, O'Tule, Otule?

2. If the reports on McMorrow are accurate Buzz may be just as loose with his open scholarships as Crean.

So you won't get excited about a highly ranked player that Buzz gets since he has to prove it on the court...then turn around and say this is a bad pickup without knowing much about him? Seems contradictory.

Granted, this seems a little bizarre, simply based on little being said about him. I didn't even know this guys name until yesterday. I'll trust the coaches...hopefully he can help immediately this year. What if Otule isn't ready to contribute much as a freshman? If so, this team will be awfully shorthanded for bigs this season (more than usual anyway).

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:01:27 PM »
from Cubi, Liam just signed today.  So scollie table needs updating. I think he's coming in as a soph if I'm correct. not completely sure though.

nola03

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 04:15:50 PM »
So you won't get excited about a highly ranked player that Buzz gets since he has to prove it on the court...then turn around and say this is a bad pickup without knowing much about him? Seems contradictory.

Granted, this seems a little bizarre, simply based on little being said about him. I didn't even know this guys name until yesterday. I'll trust the coaches...hopefully he can help immediately this year. What if Otule isn't ready to contribute much as a freshman? If so, this team will be awfully shorthanded for bigs this season (more than usual anyway).

1. You must still have brisket stuck in some places. Nowhere did I write McMorrow was a bad pickup. Nowhere.

2. Remind me again how many scholarships they have to offer in 2009? By my count with the Irish Canadian in the fold that leaves one spot open.

If that's the case, we've gone from having three scholarships available and in on numerous highly thought of prospects (thanks to Buzz' superior recruiting skills) three weeks ago to now having only one scholarship available after picking up a local kid who didn't have a scholarship offer from anyone two weeks before his commitment and a player whose name was unrecognizable to even the most ardent Buzz supporters just two days ago.

I think there's an element of looseness in those developments. jmo.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:16:10 PM »
from Cubi, Liam just signed today.  So scollie table needs updating. I think he's coming in as a soph if I'm correct. not completely sure though.

Great info, thanks!

This pickup definitely comes out of left field. I have to agree with Nola here, seems to me that Buzz is taking a flier on this guy. Hopefully, Buzz has more success during the spring signing period than Crean had.

However, McMorrow does fit a need. This squad could definitely use another big.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:35:24 PM »
OK, this guy Liam takes up a scholarship slot and does fit a bigman need.  Hopefully someone has some background info on him because I am sure the majority of us have no clue.  So that leaves one scholarship left for 2009?  With a point guard the mandatory position, that means bye-bye Jamil?  Hopefully Buzz knows something we don't. 

muball

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 04:38:33 PM »
We need post players with size to fill in and give us minutes due to our lack of depth. Who knows their skill sets now, additionally who knows the coaching ability to develop bigs. Saying this who would you rather to a shot at smaller post play or one that has size. It is beneficial for our players to practice against players with size and our bigs will develop faster practicing against bigs.  Dont know if this is a risk or not as have not seen any of them play but I will trust the coaches on this. Buzz knows he has a good team returning and is putting himself in a position for success after we lose 4 guys after this season.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 04:43:38 PM »
So what does this all mean?  Who is Liam?

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »
A few tidbits I found...

Liam McMorrow, a six-foot-eleven newcomer, will help that defensive goal.
Displaying good hands for the basketball and a soft shooting touch around the basket, he shouldn’t be limited to just a defensive role either.
http://dca.durhamc.on.ca/chronicle/sports.html?id=36

while 7’0 freshmen forward, Liam McMorrow, hauled in 18 rebounds.
http://www.ocaa.com/sports/mbasketball/news/?id=6084

George Brown came up the court and missed an opportunity to level the score while freshman Liam McMorrow (Toronto, ON) scooped up one of his twelve rebounds, causing the Huskies to foul the big man and send him to the line with only 3.9 seconds remaining. McMorrow, who has struggled from the line this season shooting only 55%, came up big for Durham as he calmly drained both free throws to give the team a 64-60. George Brown made a hail-mary three-point at the buzzer, but it was too little, too late as the Lords celebrated their big win.
http://sirc.ca/news_view.cfm?id=19880&search=&show=&month=2&year=2008&search_where=

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »
So that leaves one scholarship left for 2009?  With a point guard the mandatory position, that means bye-bye Jamil?  Hopefully Buzz knows something we don't. 

When Crean left, I believe our chances with Wilson also sailed away. That's why Buzz went so hard after Maymon ... He knew that Wilson wasn't going to come to MU and he needed to recruit another forward.

It would make sense that the last scholarship would go to a guard ... Cadougan looks like a top priority.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 04:51:47 PM »
Very brief McMorrow video which doesn't tell us much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L_r4wLf0XI&feature=related

MarkMiller

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 04:53:34 PM »
Nola: Who said Buycks didn't have scholarship offers from other schools? He did and from several high-major schools. Many were indeed showing just interest, but many others had offered.

Buycks is a very good pickup ... a guy who plays with an edge and competes as hard as James/McNeal/Matthews.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 05:35:56 PM »
Nola: Who said Buycks didn't have scholarship offers from other schools? He did and from several high-major schools. Many were indeed showing just interest, but many others had offered.

Buycks is a very good pickup ... a guy who plays with an edge and competes as hard as James/McNeal/Matthews.

You'll have to excuse him...since April 1st he's been pissed at the world.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
I get the feeling that Buzz could take MU to the final 4 next year and sign a top 10 recruiting class and the people who did not like the hire would still find a way to complain.

I just don't get the whining.

The decision has been made. Buzz is the coach.

I have no idea how good LM is or will be but maybe just maybe the coaches feel this kid can be a player. He sure has the size that we have lacked the last few seasons.

Doesn't he at least deserve the benefit of the doubt?

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 05:44:29 PM »
You have to trust the coaching staff and perhaps Buzz feels that Dale Layer will really help develop O'tule and McMorrow. I confess that I am a bit disappointed in the McMorrow commit since it looked like Dan Jennings and Ray Turner (two studs) were considering us. However, if Junior Cadougan commits that still gives us an awesome 09 class.
Once a warrior always a warrior.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »
I get the feeling that Buzz could take MU to the final 4 next year and sign a top 10 recruiting class and the people who did not like the hire would still find a way to complain.

I just don't get the whining.

The decision has been made. Buzz is the coach.

I have no idea how good LM is or will be but maybe just maybe the coaches feel this kid can be a player. He sure has the size that we have lacked the last few seasons.

Doesn't he at least deserve the benefit of the doubt?

+1

Well said.

I don't know if this kid will be good... but I'm not paid to be the head coach... buzz is.

Hopefully it works.

"You can't teach height"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 05:57:17 PM »
We're in the Big East people.  You need to bang.  I think you need to bring in 1.5 big men EVERY year and keep them here.  By their JR & SR seasons some will be quality players (Faisal) others will be decent role players and foul eaters (Abel) but you need to (A) consistently bring them in and (B) be patient with them
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 06:21:26 PM »
While we had some very good players considering us, I am sure Buzz had much better insight on his chances of getting certain players. I feel good about Cadougan as he seems truly interested in us. Likes our style and is interested in the schools graduation rate. But I am also aware that the article said that after his strong showing he is expecting to receive offers from other major schools, so there is no guarantee. I certainly think we can now expect the last scholarship to go to a point guard. I wonder if Liam is a freshmen or a sophomore? He was considered a freshman in at the school in Toronoto last year, but I wonder if this would count against his eligibilty in the United States.

nola03

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 06:28:55 PM »
You'll have to excuse him...since April 1st he's been pissed at the world.

Buzz' Bulldog --

It should be known I haven't been pissed since April 1. In fact, I handled TC's departure much more maturely then you and many, many others showed on these boards. TC leaving is fine with me. Buzz being our coach is fine with me (he's winning on most fronts so far). I would have preferred things done a little differently but there's no need for that discussion anymore, jmo. BTW, personally and professionally the last two months have been outstanding. Thanks for the concern.

Mark --

I do not have a subscription for Insider articles in the Scout network anymore, however, if you search the Iowa State Cyclones webforum and look under Buycks' profile there is a story from May 31 in which the writer states something to the effect that Buycks "does not currently hold any scholarship offers". Considering Iowa
State was one of his hottest pursuers I assume the person writing the story had solid information.

Now, I'm sure there's more to the story and the way you cover Wisconsin basketball I'd take your word over anyone else but I remember reading that article that day and reading it again after he committed. Please check though because I may be wrong.

Just to clarify before this spirals out of control with people not reading properly: I have not passed judgment on McMorrow as a player; I simply pointed out that this seems to be in the mold of playing loose with open scholarships (a Canadian player no one has heard of?). It's been written that Buzz' recruiting style is much different then Crean but we killed the last guy for this type of behavior (deservedly so) so it only seems natural to ask questions.

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 06:35:40 PM »
Buzz' Bulldog --

It should be known I haven't been pissed since April 1. In fact, I handled TC's departure much more maturely then you and many, many others showed on these boards. TC leaving is fine with me. Buzz being our coach is fine with me (he's winning on most fronts so far). I would have preferred things done a little differently but there's no need for that discussion anymore, jmo. BTW, personally and professionally the last two months have been outstanding. Thanks for the concern.

Haha, Buzz' Bulldog...I'll take that as a compliment, although I bet it wasn't!

I didn't handle it maturely? Wow, check the archives. I was shocked and disappointed...but as I always do, looked at the bright side and immediately started pushing for Buzz to get promoted. Did I piss and moan about it? No. Did I wish him death? No. I wish Crean luck, he did a hell of a lot for this program. But the more I think about it, the more I see, the more I read...I've thought for a while that this will be a blessing in disguise.

susie90

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »
Yes, I heard that by next week they'll all be moved in, physicals are next week.  Too bad we couldn't meet them at the BBQ.  It sure was fun!  Also, I heard from a VERY RELIABLE SOURCE that 2 Canadians (Liam and Cadougan) are coming to MU.  Both will be officially announced in July.  Something about NCAA rules with the timing of that announcement, don't know myself.  Liam will sit out this year because he is a transfer, play next year after a year of practice with the team - sounds good to me... :)

Also, just a silly tidbit - TC sold his house to Scott Skiles.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 07:22:06 PM »
Well here is a question, if Liam was a freshman out of a USA HS and not a transfer from a Canadian college/university, would the bias be gone?  Probably less bias.  I say give him a fair chance.  I think this was a good get for Buzz.  He is loaded with talent and experience at 1-4.  He need to shore up the 5. Watch out NCAA tourney!  Oh the previous post has Liam sitting out this year.  So guess I am wrong.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:28:55 PM by NCMUFan »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 08:39:02 PM »
We're in the Big East people.  You need to bang.  I think you need to bring in 1.5 big men EVERY year and keep them here.  By their JR & SR seasons some will be quality players (Faisal) others will be decent role players and foul eaters (Abel) but you need to (A) consistently bring them in and (B) be patient with them

That's a good point. Sans McMorrow, MU would be heading into the 2009-10 season with one player over 6'7" (Otule, who's just as much a project as McMorrow appears to be). Mighty hard to compete in any major conference, much less the Big East, with that small of a lineup.
Whether McMorrow was MU's best option for a big remains to be seen (although the list of who MU is involved with right now hardly is overwhelming), but I think it's very reasonable to snatch up a big man rather than hold out hope for another highly ranked 6'6" - 6'7" forward like Jamil Wilson or Roger Franklin.

feedback