'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] Golden Eagle Q&A: David Cubillan  (Read 2827 times)

GoMarquetteSays

[GoMarquette.com] Golden Eagle Q&A: David Cubillan
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:00:06 PM »
Golden Eagle Q&A: David Cubillan

June 26, 2008

Venezuela native David Cubillan finished his sophomore year averaging 5.1 points per game and 1.3 rebounds per game. The team's sixth man, he came in as a reserve in 34 out of the 35 games this season. At the team's annual banquet, Cubillan was recognized with the Floor Burn Award. He played with senior Dwight Burke at St. Benedict's (N.J.) before he came to Marquette and last summer, traveled with the Venezuelan national team.

How hard is it for you being so far away from home?

It's hard, but I have great people around me, which makes it easier for me. I mean, it is hard, even if you're from the states, it would be hard for you to be away from your family. But I'm getting used to it.

Do you get homesick often?

I do, but I don't get homesick a lot because I'm always doing something, I'm always busy. If I'm not in class, I have practice. If I don't have practice, I'm in study hall. I'm around my teammates a lot and they make me laugh, and I don't get to think about home a lot so that's why I don't get homesick.

What do you miss most about home?

I miss my family and the food. I go to a Columbian restaurant on 35th Street and Columbian food is similar to Venezuelan food, so that's what I eat.

Do your parents or siblings ever get to see you play?

They haven't been to a game, but they get to see the BIG EAST Tournament and the games that are on ESPN. They pay for the games and they buy through DirecTV so they can see the games and the [NCAA] tournament too.

How did you end up at Marquette University from Venezuela and St. Benedict's (N.J.)?

They got Dwight [Burke] the year before me and they used to go to my school. I guess the coaches saw me play and they thought I was a good player, a good player for Marquette. And they recruited me, and then I committed to Marquette.

Was the Milwaukee weather surprising to you coming from Venezuela?

I thought it was going to be worse than they told me. Making the transition from Venezuela to New Jersey was harder than New Jersey to Milwaukee, I think. You know, I came from Maracaibo, Venezuela, where it's like 90s all year round and then I came in December [to New Jersey] so it was winter and super cold. So I was just like, "Wow." But now, I was in New Jersey and I was there for almost three years, so I got used to the weather. I came here and it was colder but I had an idea. People were telling me, "It's going to be cold," and "It snows every day." They weren't that far off.

When you're not playing basketball, what are you doing?

I'm studying - I'm a corporate communications major. I study, watch movies, call my family and friends back home. I don't talk to them every day, almost like three times a week.

Did you play any other sports growing up in Venezuela?

I played soccer and baseball. I'm the best baseball player on the team. Lazar thinks he's better than me, but he's not. [Laughs]

What was it like being at the Brewers game that Coach Williams threw out the first pitch for?

It was cool, it was a cool experience. I liked that, I really liked that, but I'm a Yankees fan.

What's the most challenging crowd to play in front of?

I would say probably Louisville, because of the rivalry.

What area of your game do you take the most pride in?

Defense. I don't like when people score on me - I get mad.

What was your experience with the Venezuelan national team like last summer? Where did the team travel and play?

We went to China, New Zealand, and Spain. It was a really good experience for me. I was playing with older guys, it was like I was playing with men, so it was a good experience for me.

You're recovering from your shoulder surgeries. Were the shoulder problems something that you were battling last season?

I had a brace, and knew it was there, but it really didn't bother me that much. Not really. It was difficult for me to lift but not to play basketball.

How's the recovery from the surgeries going?

It's going well, it's coming along.

You were recognized at the end of the season with the Floor Burn Award which recognized you as a scrappy player and doing anything to help the team win. How did getting that award feel?

It feels good. I think we all like that, we all could be floor burners, because that's what we do and that's how we play. Any of us will do anything for the team. I think we all like that. It feels great to be around a group of guys like that. We all play for each other.

You provided a spark for the team off the bench last year, coming off the bench in 34 games. What mentality do you have going into a game and is that mindset different than if you were a starter?

I've never started a game here, but I just play my role. I knew that's what the team needed of me, and that was my role on the team to come off the bench and bring energy. I did my best and I try to always do my best at whatever - if I start [or] if I'm the sixth man.

Is there anything you want to focus on and improve individually for next year?

Right now, I can't play basketball at all. I'm not about me, I know I need to improve as a player but I'm concerned about the team. I just want to improve so I can help the team so we can have more success, go farther in the tournament, win the BIG EAST Championship. That's my goal.

Is it hard right now not being able to play because of your injury and just having to watch?

It's hard, it's really tough. You know, you see your teammates and people you go to work with getting better and I want to be part of that, but I know things happen for a reason. I know I've got to take care of my body so I can get back at it.

What did the team learn from the Stanford loss last year in the NCAA Tournament?

I think we did learn. That was an NCAA Tournament game. It was the first time for me in the second round, so you learn from that. For me, and I know a lot of my teammates feel the same way, that's something that's going to make you work harder for next year. I'm never going to forget that game, just like I'm never going to forget my freshman year when we lost to Michigan State in the first round. That's not what we want to do, just get out of the first round or the second round. We want to win the championship, go to the Final Four. You always want to remember that, so I'm not going to forget that we lost and you have that taste in your mouth. I'll never forget that.

Looking ahead to next season, how important is it to have the trio of Jerel McNeal, Dominic James, and Wesley Matthews all back?

Those guys are our leaders. They've been through it for four years and they know what it takes, they're winners too and they know what it takes and they want to win too, just like all of us. It's great to have those guys. When I was a freshman, I looked more up to them but now I'm a junior so I've been through a lot of games and I know what it takes to win at this level. I think they're great, they're going to help the team, and they want to win. They're not selfish, they don't care about other stuff, they care about the team. They're going to help the team.

What are your thoughts on the incoming players (Chris Otule, Jimmy Butler, and Joseph Fulce)?

I didn't get a chance to play with them but I just trust Coach Buzz. The reason they're coming here is because they can play. So I think they're going to be good for us, help us. You don't really get to learn about them, but if Coach Buzz got them, they're good people and can play basketball.

Which games do you think will be the team's biggest games and toughest opponents this season?

I think they're all going to be big, any and all games are going to be big. Every game I play in I take pride in and I think is big. The game I tell you is going to be big in that everybody's going to want to see is the Wisconsin game. That's the game that every year, people want to see that game - it's a rivalry. For me every game is big, I don't care who we're playing. I think every game is going to be big.

The Wisconsin game is at home this year. What's it like playing in front of a home crowd with a game of that intensity?

It's exciting, it's fun - a lot of fun. Those types of games you're always going to remember because they're rivalries. I'm 1-1.

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062608aad.html

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:19:33 PM by mu_hilltopper »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: [GoMarquette.com] Golden Eagle Q&A: David Cubillan
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:39:18 PM »
No, Cubes. You're wrong.

Everyone wants to see MU demolish Tennessee on their home court.  ;)
SS Marquette

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »
No, Cubes. You're wrong.

Everyone wants to see MU demolish Tennessee on their home court.  ;)
  Ummmm....MU is playing Tennessee in a venue in Nashville (Vaderbilt country) ...not in Knoxville :-\

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:05:15 PM »
  Ummmm....MU is playing Tennessee in a venue in Nashville (Vaderbilt country) ...not in Knoxville :-\

I just saw @Tennessee and assumed it was on their home court.

Oh well...I still would rather see Golden Boy (or is it Burnt Orange Boy) lose instate than a UW win.
SS Marquette

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
you missed the question asking him about how he has such a great shooting percentage

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »
Although a win against Tennessee would be fantastic... nothing beats beating Wisconsin, and seeing the state of Wisconsin in a mope for weeks after, and it's great to listen to them boast later on in the year how great their team is as they beat up on Penn St, NW, Michigan, Minnesota, etc.  and then you remind them of the game in early December... good answer on that one Cube.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2