collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Woods ain't bad  (Read 14408 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: Woods ain't bad
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2008, 03:34:31 PM »

(Note: I'm not talking about difficulty here. Golf is an intensely difficult physical activity. It's just not one that requires athleticism.)

Is David Ortiz not an athlete then?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »
Since there's a debate here about whether golfers are athletes (which I think they clearly are), I'd ask this question:  which requires more athleticism -- walking 18 holes of golf (with a caddy) or playing a major league baseball game at first base?  Or other positions?

The golfer walks 4-5 miles (or so), swings hard to strike the ball dozens of times and undeniably requires a lot of hand-eye coordination.  Admittedly, the pace is faily liesurely but there really isn't much time to sit.

The baseball player spends about half of the game standing in the field with relatively limited physical activity.  Sometimes he has to run, but that is a minority of the time -- especially in a position like first base.  He spends about half of the game sitting in the dugout.  He has maybe 4-5 plate appearances and probably doesn't swing the bat more than 15-20 times.  Is the baseball player an athlete?  Of course he is.

I can't imagine comparing professional golf to billiards or bowling.  I think top level professional golfers are outstanding athletes and cannot believe anyone would argue otherwise.  And, of course, Tiger is above them all.

This man is an outstanding athlete?

Next time I see a professional golfer dive fully extended to catch a ball screaming by at 100+ mph or sprint 50 feet to make an over-the-shoulder catch or heck or stretch a base hit into a double by running 180+ feet at top speed, then I'll buy the comparison to a first basemen.
Until then, though, it's not even close.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »

Next time I see a professional golfer dive fully extended to catch a ball screaming by at 100+ mph or sprint 50 feet to make an over-the-shoulder catch or heck or stretch a base hit into a double by running 180+ feet at top speed, then I'll buy the comparison to a first basemen.

I'm a Brewers fan, and I love Prince Fielder, but I'm not sure he's anywhere near as athletic as Tiger Woods. I believe Tiger could become a serviceable 1B a hell of a lot quicker than Prince could become a professional golfer. (Granted, this may be an exception to the rule, but devil's advocate is fun nonetheless).

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »

Are you saying it doesnt take outstandig skill to drive a golf ball 300 yards without ever taking your cigerette out of your mouth? All the while, waiting for the PGA official to turn his back so you can grab one of the Old Style's, you snuck on to the course, out of your bag?

Does that not mean anything?

Well how about the fact that he finished 1st on teh PGA Tour 5 times?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

nyg

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 05:25:35 PM »
Tiger fact - age 32 and has won each major at least three times.  That and his putting is insane.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »

Was Greg Luzinski an athlete?  Is a long snapper in football who does nothing else and doesn't even have to block because you're not allowed to rush over the center position? 

I agree that there are many golfers that aren't typically athletic, but they still perform a skill that involves muscle, motor skills, etc that are athletic in nature.

Tiger Woods is an athlete that is a golfer, that guy could play a lot of sports and be very proficient at them.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »
Was Greg Luzinski an athlete?  Is a long snapper in football who does nothing else and doesn't even have to block because you're not allowed to rush over the center position? 

I agree that there are many golfers that aren't typically athletic, but they still perform a skill that involves muscle, motor skills, etc that are athletic in nature.

Tiger Woods is an athlete that is a golfer, that guy could play a lot of sports and be very proficient at them.

Actually, yeah, Greg Luzinski was an athlete, at least until near the end of his career when he was hobbled by injuries.
And yeah, so are long snappers. Many, if not most, NFL long-snappers are former D-I  or D-IA college starters at some position other than long snapper. They're also usually the first guy down the field on punt coverage. The Packers signed a long-snapper this off season who is 6'2", 254 pounds and runs a 4.8 40. Seems fairly athletic to me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 12:00:26 AM »
Actually, yeah, Greg Luzinski was an athlete, at least until near the end of his career when he was hobbled by injuries.
And yeah, so are long snappers. Many, if not most, NFL long-snappers are former D-I  or D-IA college starters at some position other than long snapper. They're also usually the first guy down the field on punt coverage. The Packers signed a long-snapper this off season who is 6'2", 254 pounds and runs a 4.8 40. Seems fairly athletic to me.

Then I'd say pro golfers are as well....or maybe better put...they're artists/magicians.   ;)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 03:08:00 AM »
How can you declare the best athlete in the world... if we are going by pure athlete, then I nominate whoever wins gold in the decathlon, or whoever wins the iron man challenge, that crap is insane.

To say Tiger Woods is a better athlete then say a Peyton Manning, Roger Federer, Ronaldinho, Christiano Ronaldo, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James... and many other countless athletes is foolish  (I nominate Joe Rokocoko from the All Blacks New Zealand National Rugby Club... the man is a beast, and plays the game unbelievably)  ... just put his name in Youtube, and enjoy.

Honestly, to be able to say someone is the best athlete is foolish.  Everyone has their own special strengths that make them the best at their game.  Now to say that Tiger Woods dominates his sport more than anyone else is legit, but to just shout out hes the best athlete.  Come on, really?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
Now to say that Tiger Woods dominates his sport more than anyone else is legit, but to just shout out hes the best athlete. 

Do you mean this as:

Tiger Woods dominates his sport more than anyone else in his sport

- or -

Tiger Woods dominates his sport more than anyone else in sports

"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »
I would agree that Tiger is currently as dominating in his sport as any of the other star athletes that have been mentioned: Federer, Ronaldo, Bryant, etc.. but it is hard to compare golf to just about any sport that requires teammates. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »
Best Line: Seriously, Nike screwed up on its slogans. "We Are All Witnesses" should belong to Tiger, not LeBron James.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3447810&sportCat=golf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

Take that, NASCAR and your two good ol' boy employees who allegedly like to wave more than a checkered flag for fun.

Take that, Tim Donaghy, you radioactive weasel. And you too, NBA, for giving us the tiniest of reasons to listen to him.

Take that, Chad Johnson and your insufferable bitching; Chris Henry and your one-for-the-thumb arrest record; Jeremy Shockey and your grudges. You've been replaced.

Chad Johnson's saga with the Bengals is only one example of the sordid side of big-time sports.

That's because the solar system's best golfer, Tiger Woods, and a 45-year-old walking smile named Rocco Mediate flipped the switch on the sports garbage disposal Monday. Feel the churn.

Gone was the backwash of a $225 million racial and sexual harassment lawsuit brought against NASCAR, as well as the lingering and toxic accusations of refs fixing NBA games. And for at least one afternoon, nobody seemed to care about the usual contract-related and police-blotter player updates.

Just when you want to take a grout brush to the caked-on sludge of the daily sports headlines, along comes the improbable hazmat team of the No. 1- and No. 158-ranked golfers in the world. And it all happens at a major. In an 18-hole playoff. On a course so gorgeous that Angelina Jolie asks it for beauty tips.

Tiger and Rocco. Sounds like two guys who break thumbs for a living. But thank goodness they were around these past few days. Without them, we'd be stuck on the Willie Randolph Pink Slip Watch.

Woods won the 108th U.S. Open on Monday and once again was caught cheating on his wife Elin. Cameras captured him kissing the USGA's silver trophy. At least it played hard to get: 72 holes of regulation, 18 playoff holes and one sudden-death hole before falling hard for Woods.

In the process, we learned a little bit more about Woods, and a lot more about Mediate. Together they managed to remind us why sports is still worth the effort.

I watched 5½ holes of the playoff while waiting near a food kiosk at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport. My flight to Tampa, Fla., was delayed, so I sat on the edge of a huge potted plant as Woods' 3-stroke lead morphed into a 1-stroke deficit.

But here's the thing: It wasn't just me sitting there. I turned around and there was a guy crouched below the palm fronds. A woman sat on the floor to my right. A father and son stood to my left. Before long, there were about 20 of us in a semicircle -- business people, tourists, flight crews, ticket agents -- all watching an ancient TV whose spotty reception featured a series of Zorro-like slashes on the picture.

A handful of us had to board before it was finished. When I left the TV, Woods was in the fairway on No. 18 and Mediate was in the rough. That's all we knew as they shut the cabin door.

"I want Tiger to win," said one of the businessmen who had stood nearby, "but I don't want Rocco to lose."

That's how pure the U.S. Open was. You rooted for the underdog and the big dog. You rooted for the guy wearing red, which just happened to be both Woods and Mediate. You rooted for the prodigy going after his 14th career major (and 12th since 2000), and for a middle-aged Open qualifier thisclose to his first-ever biggie.

Everybody knows the statistic that counts: Nobody has ever overtaken Woods in a major when he owns the 54-hole lead. The factoid has been beaten into us more times than those dumb Lexus TV ads (and Raymond Floyd is sitting in the backseat why, exactly?).

But Mediate, a fidgety everyman who leads the Tour in self-deprecating humor, honesty and words per minute, almost made the impossible possible. He would have become the oldest winner of a major, ended his 0-for-44 majors streak and earned his first victory in six years.

Tiger Woods and Rocco Mediate made the sports world forget its ugly side ... for a while anyway.

And yet, when all golf hell was breaking around him, Mediate turned to an NBC on-course announcer and said, "Isn't this fun?"

Fun? It ought to get an Emmy for Best Drama. It almost became the third-biggest upset in U.S. Open history. And if it would have been anybody but Woods, Mediate might have been the one smooching the trophy at day's end.

The 1950s had Hogan, the '60s Palmer, the '70s and '80s Nicklaus and then Watson, the '90s Faldo and then Woods, the 2000s almost all Woods. Seriously, Nike screwed up on its slogans. "We Are All Witnesses" should belong to Tiger, not LeBron James.

If there is a more compelling athlete than Woods, I'd like to see him. Even if you don't know the difference between a lob wedge and a wedge of lettuce, you watch Woods. He is the leading cause of goose bumps.

Kobe Bryant? Close, very close, but not there yet.

A-Rod? He has his moments, but not enough of them.

Roger Federer? Dominant, but not even a Roger Slam to his credit.

So, nope, no one delivers the goods like Tiger. He is the surest thing in sports since $8 concession stand beers. And Monday he limped closer to Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 major victories.

Woods, with the help of some painkilling meds, overcame a car trunk's worth of obstacles to win this thing. This one ought to count as 1½ majors.

First, there was that surgically repaired left knee of his. No problem. All he had to do was pretend someone wasn't sticking knitting needles in the joint after he reached triple-digit swing speeds. And nothing helps the pain-management process like walking about 37,000 yards or so of Torrey Pines real estate.

Anyway, Woods basically won an Open on one leg.

Some wuss, eh, Mike Milbury?

You name it, Woods survived it. The pretournament buzz surrounding hometown fave Phil Mickelson. The pressure. The playoff. The knee. And most of all, Mediate.

The moment the plane wheels skidded against the runway in Tampa, you could hear the cell phones powering up. We all wanted to know the same thing: Tiger or Rocco? One of the flight attendants got on the intercom system.

"Tiger won?" he said, as someone yelled the result. "OK, everybody, Tiger won."

No peanuts or drinks on the flight, but at least we got that.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
Do you mean this as:

Tiger Woods dominates his sport more than anyone else in his sport

- or -

Tiger Woods dominates his sport more than anyone else in sports

I am saying that he dominates golf better then any athlete dominates their sport.  However to say hes the best athlete is ridiculous, you can't make a claim to that... because the skills that make him so good mean so little to other athletes...

What does Tiger do well, he hits a tiny ball more proficient then anyone else on the tour...

Kobe Bryant has no need to be good at swinging a golf club, for that is not involved in his sport...

Peyton Manning doesn't have to hit an 18 foot jump shot to win the finals, because he throws a pigskin around.

and this goes on and on...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2008, 04:59:01 PM »
I am saying that he dominates golf better then any athlete dominates their sport.  However to say hes the best athlete is ridiculous, you can't make a claim to that... because the skills that make him so good mean so little to other athletes...

What does Tiger do well, he hits a tiny ball more proficient then anyone else on the tour...

Kobe Bryant has no need to be good at swinging a golf club, for that is not involved in his sport...

Peyton Manning doesn't have to hit an 18 foot jump shot to win the finals, because he throws a pigskin around.

and this goes on and on...

So what you should have said is, "Come on Napoleon... Like anyone can know that."

Jules1993MUWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »
There is no way you can judge any athlete on a level playing field as they all play different sports?  Have a decathalon with baseball, basketball, football, golf, and tennis?  The best man wins?  That's not even a smart thing to do.  Athletes train to be professionals at one sport.  Just as we train to me professionals in our careers.  Ask me to be a Dr. and I'm likely to kill someone!

Tiger is the best in golf, at least for this generation.  Is he an athlete?  ABSOLUTELY!!  To be good in any profession you have to have the mental fortitude.  And he has it!  The althelicism is there but you always have to be on.  Can any of us imagine being under that type of microspe and having 50 million people watching our every move? 

That takes something few people have.  And while many other greats do it all the time, few do it alone.  So I give Tiger my congrats!

chapman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 10:46:11 AM »
Looks like Tiger pushed himself too far, as he's lost the rest of the year because of it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/8258466?MSNHPHMA

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »
There go the ratings.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 11:45:33 AM »
I was at the Angels vs Mets game last night and they had a stadium poll on who was the better athlete

Tiger Woods or Kobe Bryant

It was funny to see the results.

71% Tiger Williams

29% Kobe Bryant

Ubuntu

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 01:49:51 PM »
There is no way you can judge any athlete on a level playing field as they all play different sports?  Have a decathalon with baseball, basketball, football, golf, and tennis?  The best man wins?  That's not even a smart thing to do.  Athletes train to be professionals at one sport.  Just as we train to me professionals in our careers.  Ask me to be a Dr. and I'm likely to kill someone!

Bring back the Superstars and let's see how Tiger fares.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 01:52:15 PM »
Looks like Tiger pushed himself too far, as he's lost the rest of the year because of it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/8258466?MSNHPHMA

Yeah I saw that too...I bet golf is going to be THAT much more interesting now :-\  He's the only reason why I would consider watching golf.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2008, 06:05:56 PM »
Yeah I saw that too...I bet golf is going to be THAT much more interesting now :-\  He's the only reason why I would consider watching golf.

The guy was playing on a fractured tibia we now learn.  Meanwhile we have baseball players on the DL for a torn finger nail.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2008, 06:07:43 PM »
Bring back the Superstars and let's see how Tiger fares.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstars

Kind of funny....we're talking about doing that very thing if we can get enough athletes to do it.  Problem is that so many of them are worried about injuries now it makes it difficult.  It's not like the old days, that's for sure.

And Tiger would do very well.  His training regimen is very difficult, he's a phenomenal athlete.  Other golfers would not fare as well, but Tiger is a world class athlete.

feedback