'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mark Miller's NY2LA Tournament Observations  (Read 6938 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Mark Miller's NY2LA Tournament Observations
« on: June 03, 2008, 02:09:04 PM »
http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/article.asp?nid=14854

He named Jamil Wilson the MVP of the 17u division.  He also singled out Kyle Kelm for praise in the 16u division.

THEGYMBAR

Re: Mark Miller's NY2LA Tournament Observations
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:51:20 PM »
Sounds like Jamil will look good in new uniforms. His signing brings INSTANT credibility to Buzz and the program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:03:53 PM »
Badger fans are hoping that UW-madison offers a 3/4 scholarship for Kelm.  In other words, first year he pays and years 2-4 he's on scholarship when one opens up.

An advantage that a state school has with in-state tuition.  It's a practice that I believe should be outlawed as it will almost always work against any private school in a state due to the inherent differences in tuition costs.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:29:21 AM »
Chicos,
Wouldn't we offer a 4 year scholarship.  I don't understand how he would view WI as a better offer.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »
Chicos,
Wouldn't we offer a 4 year scholarship.  I don't understand how he would view WI as a better offer.

Because it's Wisconsin.  Lots of people from that area, or basically any area in the state except Milwaukee, grow up dreaming about being able to play for the Badgers.  If having to pay for one year is a sacrifice you have to make to do that, it's not a big deal because 60 years from now when you are living on a farm in Clintonville, you'll be able to tell your grandkids you were a Badger.  That's just how a lot of people in this state think. 

Look at JP Gavinski.  He was a fringe top 100 player with offers from quite a few schools including MU.  He could have gone to anyone one of them and received a ton of playing time possibly even been a starter by now.  Instead, he's played a grand total of 16 minutes in two years.  But you don't hear him complain about it.  In fact it's quite the opposite.  The kid loves being a Badger, he's said the greatest moment in his life was when he signed with UW, and there's no worries about transferring.  There's even talk that he likes being there so much, he'd be willing to give up a scholarship so that UW could sign Jamil Wilson or some other stud in 2009 or 2010.  It's just the way things work around here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »
Chicos,

Because if he dreams of playing at Wisconsin then sucking it up to pay a few grand for in state tuition for one year isn't that big a sacrifice.  That's why I believe that rule should be thrown out, it is disadvantageous to all private schools because of the cost of tuition vs an in-state prospect.

I'm not saying this kid will do this, he will have plenty of full ride scholarships, but it does give a school like UW-madison a way to get around the spirit of the rules to have the kid come on as a walk-on and then get a scholarship after one opens up at very little expense to the player / player's family.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:10:21 AM »
It's Wisconsin.....It's Wisconsin.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
come on as a walk-on and then get a scholarship after one opens up

So you don't think schools should be able to convert walk-ons to scholarship players?

I agree it gives schools with low tuition an advantage in cases where a player agrees to a deal like that, but I think you're over-regulating to try to close up a "loophole".  Not to mention if you close it up, you probably end up screwing all the true walk-ons in the world that managed to play their way into a scholarship.

In short - I say leave it alone.  If a kid really wants to go to a school, he'll figure out a way to go.  Hell, my family couldn't afford Marquette, but I found a way to pay for the 4 years...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 11:44:43 AM »
So you don't think schools should be able to convert walk-ons to scholarship players?

I agree it gives schools with low tuition an advantage in cases where a player agrees to a deal like that, but I think you're over-regulating to try to close up a "loophole".  Not to mention if you close it up, you probably end up screwing all the true walk-ons in the world that managed to play their way into a scholarship.

In short - I say leave it alone.  If a kid really wants to go to a school, he'll figure out a way to go.  Hell, my family couldn't afford Marquette, but I found a way to pay for the 4 years...

I don't have a problem with walk-ons being able to convert to a scholarship in theory.  However, if a kid is considered a high major recruit with many offers from high majors then it exposes a rather large loophole in the system.  Right now teams are limited to 12 scholarships for a reason.  But a school could take advantage of that with the walk-on status and have 15 or 16 or whatever they wanted (there is no limitation of players on a team) and essentially bank players like the schools used to do back in the days of 15 scholarships.  That's one of the reasons the NCAA reduced it to 12 in the first place.

It's a dangerous precedent and it also opens up potential other mischief, like Uncle Ed helping to pay for the kid's tuition when Uncle Ed is a booster, etc, etc.  The pay your own way loophole was used by Washington State this year to gain an advantage and can be used elsewhere, mostly at public schools where tuition is much cheaper especially for in-state kids.  I think you'll see more and more schools take advantage of this to the detriment of private schools that cannot compete from a cost standpoint.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:52:51 PM »
Wilson will end up at MU. Take it to the bank!!!! Wilson,EW, Lacy and Maymon give us top 10 recruiting class.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
Ah, which bank?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 07:20:27 AM »
4ever----The Final Four Bank in '10!!!!!

MarkMiller

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 08:46:38 AM »
I agree MU remains in good shape with Wilson, though Michigan State is coming on strong along with a host of others.

Not quite as confident about Lacy for a variety of reasons.

As for 4everwarriors ... didn't he repeatedly say Jeronne Maymon wouldn't end up at Marquette?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 02:15:50 PM »
Yep, and just because he verballed, doesn't guarantee he'll wear a Warrior's uni.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"