'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 12:19:59 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 11:55:22 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 10:36:41 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU mentions on chicagohoops.com  (Read 10631 times)

4thAndState

• Starter
Re: MU mentions on chicagohoops.com
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »
Hate to bring it up, but didn't Stanford vs. Marquette  in the 2nd round of this year's NCAA Tournament kind of prove that point to be wrong?  I'd like to think we had great guards and decent bigs, and Stanford had the opposite and came out on top.  Jackson was by far the 2nd most valuable player on the 2003 team.  You need balance to go deep into the tournament.  It may be more important to have great guards than it is to have great bigs, but you need good, not just decent, bigs.
Yes and no if using the Stanford game as the example. If McNeal would have hit one of his last shots or Lopez would have missed his last shot then my theory would be correct? The game proved that great guards can still give you an opportunity to beat a high-seed team and, in fact, come within a bounce of winning. I still stand by my statement that great guards and decent bigs are one recipe for power conference and tourney success.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 06:26:11 PM »
We lost to Stanford because of coaching. Crean let it be a half court game, which favored Stanford's bigmen. We needed to press them and force the tempo. Stanford's weakness was turning the ball over. We did not turn them over, because Crean coached the team not to lose instead of playing to win. If we would have went at them like we did against Wisconsin we would have won that game. Crean's poor march record was due to the fact he aways coached differently in March.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 10:14:26 PM »
How much further did Stanford progress?  Not far...a 20 point drubbing by Texas which includes a pair of stellar guards in Augustine and AJ Abrahms.

While great post play helps you go further in the tournament I would argue that guard play is more important.  Sure a quality big man helps but if you only have a strong inside game you don't necessarily win in today's uptempo game.  Throw a zone against a big man or double down each time (which we failed to do against Stanford) and make shaky guards beat you from the perimeter.  Now if you only have quality guards you can double but they'll tend to set up their teammates for easier shots (ie dunks and layups) where a quality big man can only set up his guards with open perimeter shots.  Look at each of the final four teams:  Some of them had quality bigs (Hansborough, Love, maybe even include Dorsey) but in the end it was the guards who elevated their teams to the finals (Chalmers, Rose, Douglas-Roberts, Rush, etc)
Your point about great guard play being more important is one that I made in my post.  I agree that great guards are MORE important than great bigs, but you can't have just DECENT bigs to make a Final Four (or guards, for that...you need BALANCE, as I said).  Texas wasn't just great guards.    Damion James was a stud forward and Connor Atchley averaged 10 ppg and 6 rpg, GOOD, but not GREAT, numbers.  ALL of the Final Four teams had VERY good bigs and VERY good guards, altogether making VERY good BALANCE.  Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson, and Sasha Kahn the bigs for Kansas, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Kevin Love for UCLA, Robert Dozier and Joey Dorsey for Memphis, and Tyler Hansbrough and Deon Thompson.  Then they had the guards to go with the bigs.  Balance is my point...not one or the other but both.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 05:59:42 AM »
Well I guess i ranted a bit too long...my point was that if I had to choose between either great guards or great big men I'd choose great guards every time because i think you can get further and have more success than you can with only great big men.  (See Michael Beasley, harangody, etc)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 07:45:18 AM »
Truly great bigmen are one and done. Year after year consistancy has to come from the guard spots. I agree you will not make the final four without a very good power player.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 09:42:28 AM »
We lost to Stanford because of coaching. Crean let it be a half court game, which favored Stanford's bigmen. We needed to press them and force the tempo. Stanford's weakness was turning the ball over. We did not turn them over, because Crean coached the team not to lose instead of playing to win. If we would have went at them like we did against Wisconsin we would have won that game. Crean's poor march record was due to the fact he aways coached differently in March.

We were ranked 25th in the nation playing a top 10 team, in the state of California and lost in OT on a miracle shot and we lost because of coaching.  Uhm, ok. 

Exactly how did he coach the team "not to lose".  I'm also curious, were you impressed by our win two days prior against Kentucky?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 12:13:21 PM »
Chicos, have to dsagree with you here.  MU most definitely lost that game due to coaching decisions.  How can one let Mitch Johnson (who is a rather average or slightly above average Div I player) get 16 ( yes, 16...!!) assists while standing close to the right sideline and repeatedly lobbing passes in to the Lopezii.  All TC had to do was have DJ play Johnson tighter.  But, no.....  Loved TC, but he truly was not one of the game's giants when it came to in-game coaching.  Terrific at preparation and motivation, but not so good at adapting to the situation at hand (particalarly on defense).. Look at the Kentucky game in the 1st round as well in terms of adapting on defense on the Ky guards. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 12:40:19 PM »
Chicos,
I tend to agree with a lot of what you say and I actually think TC did a great job at MU but the simple fact that he refused to FRONT the post at any point in the game leads me to believe he was not watching the same game.  Like Nukem mentions he could have tried to have the guys apply more pressure on the entry passes or at least have our post defenders front the low post rather than allow easy entry pass after easy entry pass to a 7 ft clown 3 feet from the basket.  I don't blame burke, ooze, or even trend for not fronting as it is pretty evident they were being told to play 3/4...ugh just talking about it now is driving me nuts!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 01:48:21 PM »
Chicos,
I tend to agree with a lot of what you say and I actually think TC did a great job at MU but the simple fact that he refused to FRONT the post at any point in the game leads me to believe he was not watching the same game.  Like Nukem mentions he could have tried to have the guys apply more pressure on the entry passes or at least have our post defenders front the low post rather than allow easy entry pass after easy entry pass to a 7 ft clown 3 feet from the basket.  I don't blame burke, ooze, or even trend for not fronting as it is pretty evident they were being told to play 3/4...ugh just talking about it now is driving me nuts!!

We fronted at first and got destroyed trailing 9-2 I believe before that was scrapped. 

The reason Mitch Johnson had 16 assists was because they had two NBA players down low making everything = many assists.  Quite frankly, I'm surprised the game was even as close as it was, I expected we would be blown out.  Stanford was the ONE team that was going to give us problems in the second round....they were the only 3 seed that was problematic and MU lost with a second left in OT.  Great game, heartbreaking loss.

The reason I ask about the Kentucy game is that Buzz was in charge of that game in terms of scouting, prep, etc.  I actually thought we played much better in the Stanford game then the Kentucky game.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:49:58 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

nola03

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »
The reason I ask about the Kentucy game is that Buzz was in charge of that game in terms of scouting, prep, etc.  I actually thought we played much better in the Stanford game then the Kentucky game.

Is that true about Buzz being the prep man for Kentucky?

I'm still waiting for someone to guard Joe Crawford.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »
We fronted at first and got destroyed trailing 9-2 I believe before that was scrapped. 

The reason Mitch Johnson had 16 assists was because they had two NBA players down low making everything = many assists.  Quite frankly, I'm surprised the game was even as close as it was, I expected we would be blown out.  Stanford was the ONE team that was going to give us problems in the second round....they were the only 3 seed that was problematic and MU lost with a second left in OT.  Great game, heartbreaking loss.

That may be true as I was watching the scores on my blackberry for the 1st half. (returning from my in-laws)  But weren't we ahead at the 1/2?  I was basing my opinion off of the 2nd 1/2 and OT...soooo frustrating.