[June 11, 2024, 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[June 11, 2024, 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I thought Crean never considered leaving...?  (Read 11589 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
I thought Crean never considered leaving...?
« on: May 30, 2008, 08:08:40 PM »
Buckley's energy produced 143 wins in six seasons at Ball State before he moved to Marquette last season as a Crean assistant, then followed him to IU. “We had always talked about coaching a top-5 to -10 program, and (IU) was one of those opportunities,” Buckley said. “To have the privilege to come with him is great.”

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: I thought Crean never considered leaving...?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
Some wanted to believe that MU was Crean's destination job. The car salesman convinced many that he was selling a low mileage good runner. In reality he was peddling junk.
Crean wanted to leave here from the moment he was introduced. Wade gave him that opportunity early on with Crean caddying for him at the FF.
Tommy Boy would have left Marquette to coach at the University of Mars if the money was right. Its Mars, its Mars.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 08:43:23 PM »
I thought Crean never considered leaving...?

I challenge you to find a quote of Crean's from anytime during his tenure where he said he would never leave.

I think some people have a hard time understanding the difference between "I love being the coach at Marquette" with "I'm staying here forever".

As much as it doesn't fit the narrative of "Crean betrayed us", he never swore allegiance to MU.  It's not impossible love Marquette but also be interested in one of the half-dozen elite programs if the opportunity is there.

What Buckley's quote really validates is that Crean didn't want out of MU as much as he wanted a shot at one of those handful of elite programs.  That's why he turned down a huge raise from Arkansas a year ago.   Let's face it--there were at least 5 to 10 opportunities annually at roughly equivalent programs where Crean could have left if he simply wanted out, or wanted more money.  But he didn't want any old Big East or SEC or Big Ten program.  He wanted Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, and Indiana.  

It really makes our fans seem clueless to think that those programs don't have a certain cachet to them.  Its gotten so bad that if a national reporter writes something that suggests that Indiana is at a level above MU, people immedeately make accusations that the reporters are simply impotent mouthpieces for "TC spin."

Sorry to burst your bubbles, guys, but there isn't a reporter in the country who would have put MU at Indiana's level on March 31st.  Despite the last six or eight years of Indiana futility and MU success, every single one of them would have suggested even before Crean took the job that Indiana was a step up.  I don't like it.  I hoped that Crean felt otherwise.  But I can't sit here like some of you and pretend there is no truth to it.

You people are as bad as the Dayton or SLU or UWM fans who think that their respective programs are at the same level as MU.

There's a pecking order, and it takes a long, loooong, loooooonnnnnnggggggg time for the national tide to turn on this.  It hasn't been nearly long enough for Packer and Vitale and Musberger and the sportscenter crew, and the SI beat writers, and the TSN staff and all the other national sportscasters to put Indiana on the scrap heap of formerly great college basketball programs.  

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »
Some wanted to believe that MU was Crean's destination job. The car salesman convinced many that he was selling a low mileage good runner. In reality he was peddling junk.
Crean wanted to leave here from the moment he was introduced. Wade gave him that opportunity early on with Crean caddying for him at the FF.
Tommy Boy would have left Marquette to coach at the University of Mars if the money was right. Its Mars, its Mars.

So why did he turn down $2 million/season last year from Arkansas?  If he wanted out as badly as you claim he did, why didn't he accept the Arkansas job? 

Why didn't he chase the Wake Forest job when Prosser died?  Why not Xavier?  Why didn't he go after Georgia Tech?  Why not Florida State?  Or Iowa State?  Or Nebraska?  Or any of the other nearly 50 head coaching jobs in top 6 conferences that opened up between 2003 and 2008?  Why didn't he make a run at DePaul?  Why didn't he take a shot at Michigan?  Or Wichita State.  Or Baylor?  Or Tennessee?  Why not Rutgers?  Or St. Johns?  Or Seton Hall?  Or Georgetown?  Or South Florida?  Why didn't he go after UW?  Why not Minnesota?  Why not Michigan? 

Why did he take MU's raise and sign an extension in 2003 if he wanted out? 

For a guy who "wanted to leave here from the moment he was introduced," he sure too a pass on a lot of programs, any of whom could have easily matched what Crean made at MU--and a whole lot more who could have done it before the big pay bump in 2003.

But go ahead--keep trying to force fit your pet theory.  If you ignore enough facts, you can convince yourself of anything.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:53:11 PM »
I challenge you to find a quote of Crean's from anytime during his tenure where he said he would never leave.
Well, there is that pesky signature on a 10 year contract. But what they heck, why would you expect a man to actually live up to his sginature on a contract?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:21:19 PM »
Well, there is that pesky signature on a 10 year contract. But what they heck, why would you expect a man to actually live up to his sginature on a contract?

Correction: the 10 year contract with a $650K buyout.  There was nothing "pesky" about Crean's signature.   There is, however, something pesky about you pointing out the 10 year term without also mentioning the buyout.

Living up to the signature on the contract means that Crean, at his option, either a) pays MU $650,000 or b) stays until the term is up.

Once again, this is an example of ignoring inconvenient facts in order to fit a narrative. 

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand.   Crean never said he would stay at MU forever.  He had plenty of opportunities to leave for more money, but didn't. He signed a contract that gave him the option of staying at MU for 10 years, or leaving if he paid the buyout.  And he left for one of the few jobs that the entire world outside of MU fans readily accepts as one of the five or six elite programs in college basketball. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »
I would venture to say that Indiana's best days are behind.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:59:55 PM »
I know most around here want him to fail but he was a very decent coach who did a lot of good things for MU and will do the same at IU.  Give IU 2 years to unearth itself from the Samson debacle and they will become a top 25 for many a years.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »
It's clear that there's a lot of professional career maneuvering going on. Crean turned down other offers because they were detours, moves that did nothing to enhance his positioning for one of those marquee jobs out there, and in fact, would have been poor use of the nice launching pad he'd created here.  Buzz has shown some savvy, opportunistic career maneuvering of his own.  As the faithful of Marquette, we're looking at it from a different perspective than the coach.  As partisan fans, we want to believe that when we say "We are Marquette," that our coach joins right in there with us.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 10:25:34 PM »
I know most around here want him to fail but he was a very decent coach who did a lot of good things for MU and will do the same at IU.  Give IU 2 years to unearth itself from the Samson debacle and they will become a top 25 for many a years.

Top 25 is not the Indiana that I remember. They were in contention every year.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:39:50 PM by mviale »

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 10:42:17 PM »
Jesus Christ guys. Get over it already. He's gone. And yes...it IS Indiana. It takes more than nine good years for MU to get to their level. That's just a friggin' fact. Get off the guy for leaving to go to what is arguably one of the top 5-7 highest profile college gigs in the country. Anyone here would have done it in a heartbeat.

All of you people that bitch about Crean breaking his contract are the same ones that wanted another "slimeball" or "used car salesman" to break his existing contract with another school to come to MU.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 10:49:48 PM »
Correction: the 10 year contract with a $650K buyout.  There was nothing "pesky" about Crean's signature.   There is, however, something pesky about you pointing out the 10 year term without also mentioning the buyout.

Living up to the signature on the contract means that Crean, at his option, either a) pays MU $650,000 or b) stays until the term is up.

Once again, this is an example of ignoring inconvenient facts in order to fit a narrative. 

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand.   Crean never said he would stay at MU forever.  He had plenty of opportunities to leave for more money, but didn't. He signed a contract that gave him the option of staying at MU for 10 years, or leaving if he paid the buyout.  And he left for one of the few jobs that the entire world outside of MU fans readily accepts as one of the five or six elite programs in college basketball. 

Joanie, it's getting late on a Friday night, do you know where your brother Jim's car keys are?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
Get off the guy for leaving to go to what is arguably one of the top 5-7 highest profile college gigs in the country. Anyone here would have done it in a heartbeat.
I would have told the players that were on my team that I had recruited and formed a pretty solid bond with (you would hope) in person BEFORE they found out from their parents, who found out from ESPN.  I used to be a big Tom Crean supporter when he was here, but when the guy goes about it that way it's pretty Bush League.  I will, for the first time in my life, begin rooting for Wisconsin to win 2 games a year.

Understand the move, but not how he went about it, especially if he had somebody contact Indiana and tell them he was very interested in their job.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUFan71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 12:24:39 AM »
Get off the guy for leaving to go to what is arguably one of the top 5-7 highest profile college gigs in the country.

OK IU has a place in NCAA history. I liked what Tom did for MU he put the program back on the map. If you take away D. Wade his NCAA record is not that good. If you look at last year Tom's weakness as a bench coach was shown. Coaches like Calhoun, Pitino, Boeheim and Huggins took it to him and he had no answer. I don't argue IU's place in NCAA history but is TC ready? I wish him luck and hope he grows as a coach or they will run him out of town with his red and white striped pants on.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 12:30:29 AM »
7 straight 19 win seasons is not what IU expects.  Its a bit tougher to recruit IU these days as it has been a mess since Knight left the building.  He is still recruiting and competing for players that he would have recruited at Marquette.  Plus, Crean is no bench coach - he can run a practice but cant make adjustments in a real game.

My previous support for Tom Crean was more due to the wade's success and he was our coach.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:33:17 AM by mviale »

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 12:33:08 AM »
Crean's gone...elevated MU for sure, but had issues to get us further... good luck at IU - he will need it, I like our chances with Buzz....

mviale

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 12:33:55 AM »
Oneill elevated MU and Crean got lucky with one recruit.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 01:01:51 AM »
Anybody that didn’t think crean would leave is quite oblivious and also not very intelligent.  He’s a human and he will do what is best for himself so this notion of him being a superior creature is a bunch of crap except you all ate it up like homeless people eating food.  As for crean helping the program well the donors and school paid him some 1.5 million a year so you should expect excellence otherwise you are selling yourself short.  But as usual a lot of MU alums have low expectations for the basketball team and too a certain extent that carries over to the University.  He did an alright job but he certainly has his limitations.  He should take a basketball class or two instead of marketing classes and motivational speaking classes!! 

Hey Niv have you bulldozed any Palestinian homes lately?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:05:56 AM by thatman32 »

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 04:52:57 AM »
i think 4ever is dead wrong....Crean would not have hopped at anything for the money he is too arrogant for that.  I do not blame him for taking what he thinks is a top 10 program and while it may have slipped i beleive Iu still qualifies as that.  However and I care not too look Crean has many times said he is happy at MU and is not interested in any other jobs except the one he has.  now i think everyone and his brother knew that was BS, but he did say it.  Also Crean in his staements has led everyone to beleive that he was always 100% dedicated to Mu and never considered anyother job until about march 31st 2008.  My point with the quote is it is obvious that Crean and Buckley had sat around on at least a few occasions and opined on how great it would be to be at a tp 5-10 program.  Well good for him and good for us.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »
I don't think anyone appreciated the way he left, but the progression from the Dean era to now has been substantial.  I can't blame him for leaving in the big picture and wish him luck at Indiana.  Now move on...
Go Buzz!
"We have the blues on the run!"

Pardner

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 08:54:36 AM »
TC=Bill Clinton--a lot to love, a lot to hate.

MU rewarded TC and he rewarded MU.  Brought back the program and spirit, F4, DW3, BE, excitement, 70+ winning % with his players, clean, graduated players, salesman for MU, national pub hound, decent recruiter, his teams played hard and made MU proud.

He was also a control freak, alienated quite a few, had transfer and asst. coach fall out, was considered a spoiled brat (George Karl among others), not a great game coach, always looking (maybe not jumping) for something better (interesting how a $2mm offer from Ark. materializes without any TC interest?), rumors of job wonderlust hurt him on the recruiting trail, his image marketing grew old to the Wiscophobes.   

That is the man as you continue to see at IU.  Perfect hire for IU based on his resume and their short term needs.  How he left his players and bosses will prevent him from ever being remembered fondly by many at MU.  All kidding aside, TC will be continued to be talked about as he is that polarizing.   He is flawed, yet there is always that promise of greatness that keeps folks coming back to him.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 09:09:59 AM »
WadesWorld....agree with you 100%. But HOW he left and WHY he left are two totally separate arguments. I think it was garbage HOW left. But as for why? That can't be argued about.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 09:23:14 AM »
He considered leaving for a top 6 program (in his estimation).   Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, IU.   (UNC and Duke, too, but those promotions will come from inside the family).   Illinois, Virginia, Arkansas were not a big enough jump to justify his leaving.   He got his shot at what he thinks of as the brass ring.    He took it.
    In his 9 years at MU, he gave MU what it wanted, a successful, clean program and a return to a seat at the table with the big boys.  He graduated his players and generally won the right way.    MU gave him what he wanted, total control and a platform to sell himself to the national media and set himself up for this dream (It's INDIANA!) job.    Kind of like the Seger lyric from 'Night Moves'.  "I used her, she used me, neither one cared, we were gettin' our share"
   His method of leaving played up all of his weaknesses, the ones we were aware of and chose to overlook because we were winning 70% of our games and were competitive with the legendary programs in the BEast, where we all felt we should have been all along.    It was self-centered, self-aggrandizing, all about control, and threw a program (instead of a player or assistant) under the bus when he had no further use for it.
MU is moving on.  Right now, Buzz has a better 09 class than Crean does.   MU has a better returning team than Crean does.   If Buzz can game coach 85% as well as he recruits, MU is going to be in solid hands and will not miss TC at all.
 TC has his dream and is in danger of having it turn into a nightmare.   A team in disarray.   A continued inability to recruit quality bigs, even at IU, which I honestly thought would be impossible.    And an entire state that is watching his every word and gesture and will quickly turn on him if he doesn't have that ship righted in 2 years.   Congratulations and good luck, TC, you are going to need it.
   So, yeah, he and his assistants talked about and aspired to a top 5 program.   They put themselves in a position to grab it when it came along and then grabbed with both hands and gusto.    Personally, I have let him go.    My anger with him quickly dissipated.   I nearly pity him now.   And I look forward to MU success in the future.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 09:24:03 AM »
Oneill elevated MU and Crean got lucky with one recruit.

One recruit? That's just crazy.

Perhaps you've heard of:

Travis Diener
Steve Novak
The Big East
Zero losing seasons
The Al
Jerel McNeal
2003 Final Four
Dominic James
Record attendance
Wes Matthews
Five NCAA tourneys the last seven seasons

Need I continue?
Tom Crean did and/or had a key role in a lot of great things at Marquette University. Those of you doing your darndest to minimize his successes, or ignore them altogether, are acting like jilted lovers.
"She was ugly and I never liked her anyways."

As for 4never's contentions ... he can claimit all he wants, but the facts prove otherwise.
Doesn't it stink when the facts get in the way of a good argument?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Yep, that or why he left is easily understood as TC is a guy who wants the limelight.  And, thats fine.  How he left while dissing virtually all of his stakeholders is whats at issue.  It will be hard for many folks to forget that.  I expected him to move on at some point; although, I was surprised that it was this year going into the senior season for the "3 amigos".   TC really pretty much guaranteed in public that he would stay for the duration of the amigos' MU careers during the Ohio State search shortly after they committed to MU.  Hard to interpret those words any differently. Certainly, the body language and words from DJ, Wes and Jerel following TC's departure confirm that.  But, TC will have to live with all of that.  Time to talk MU basketball...!!!  Is it October yet.

feedback