[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: "Guaranteed A Starting Spot"  (Read 9082 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
"Guaranteed A Starting Spot"
« on: May 27, 2008, 08:57:30 PM »
Man o' man! This is going to bite Buzz right in the ass.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bilsu

• All American
Re: "Guaranteed A Starting Spot"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »
Maymon said it was his until he losses it.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:18:55 PM »
Maymon said it was his until he losses it.

I see plenty of "coaching latitude" in that statement.  Picture it in the following context:

"Sure, kid.  We think that you are a high major talent and that you will be great from day one.  You are guaranteed a starting spot.  As long as you continue to deliver like we expect you to, then you can stay as a starter.

But the instant you feel a sense of entitlement or don't put forth the effort in practice or games, then your ass rides the bench"
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »
Henry is correct...not to mention the fact that we will lose 4 starters.  Not too big of a stretch as long as it is properly qualified as I am sure it was, this is something a coach will rarely do.  Does anyone think Dominic was promised a starting spot? others?  What about a top 100 pg?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »
Henry is correct...not to mention the fact that we will lose 4 starters.  Not too big of a stretch as long as it is properly qualified as I am sure it was, this is something a coach will rarely do.  Does anyone think Dominic was promised a starting spot? others?  What about a top 100 pg?

Who would those 4 starters be?  Matthews, McNeal, James and .........  Burke?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »
boy oh boy. stay away from the computer for a few hours and look what happens.  Instead of being happy and sitting back for a moment to enjoy the Maymon commitment the "brethren" have used the moment to commence in-fighting over any number of topics.

On the process-the process is irrelevant if the results are delivered.  In Maymon's case, Buzz delivered the goods.  'nuff said.

On the "guarantee" of starting - let's not start speculating about whether or not this was offered. This smacks of the same argument I've seen for weeks on this board re: the process.  Wait and see.

On who's recruit EW is- very simple: credit to TC and Buzz.  And btw, let's be glad he's OUR recruit.

The rest of this is just venting.  Enjoy this very significant commit and let the rest go.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:08:44 AM »
boy oh boy. stay away from the computer for a few hours and look what happens.  Instead of being happy and sitting back for a moment to enjoy the Maymon commitment the "brethren" have used the moment to commence in-fighting over any number of topics.

On the process-the process is irrelevant if the results are delivered.  In Maymon's case, Buzz delivered the goods.  'nuff said.

On the "guarantee" of starting - let's not start speculating about whether or not this was offered. This smacks of the same argument I've seen for weeks on this board re: the process.  Wait and see.

On who's recruit EW is- very simple: credit to TC and Buzz.  And btw, let's be glad he's OUR recruit.

The rest of this is just venting.  Enjoy this very significant commit and let the rest go.

Well if it (guarantee) wasn't offered, I guess Maymon must have....ahem...misspoke.

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/article.asp?nid=14845

“They guaranteed me a starting spot, but I know I will have to work hard to keep that starting spot,” Maymon said.

Or in today's article in the MJS, he says it again

Added Jeronne: "(Williams) told me I'm going to have a starting spot, but I've got to work harder to keep it."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=755758

Definitely seems to have been offered and no speculation needed.  Was it right or wrong...probably neither.  I agree with Henry Sugar and others that's it probably more of a situation where you have a starting job (with the assumption he's going to work his ass off to keep it).  That being said, it's been a long time since a player / father etc dictated terms to MU's coaching staff. 

Unfortunatel with Hurley we saw it last month (someone dictating terms to MU) and perhaps (pure speculation) seeing it again in this recruitment.  I don't blame Mr. Maymon, his kid is a stud and he wants to showcase him and have a chance to get to the next level.  But I haven't seen this at MU since Dameon Mason's dad was trying to pull this type of thing and that didn't end well.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:30:59 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 07:01:12 AM »
Chico's et al:

your post is accurate.  But, what Buzz said about a guaranteed starting spot may differ from what the player and his Dad are reporting.  I wonder, if Buzz was queried, if he'd have a different spin on it.  Maybe he'd say that Maymon has all the tools to start as a freshman and, if he keeps working hard, starting is definitely a possibility.

I do not know how Maymon compares to say, Beasley or Mayo, but I'd guess that they were pretty much assured a starting spot during the recruiting process.  Not that I think that Maymon will be one and done, just that these kinds of terms are thrown around a lot during recruiting and can lead to ambiguity. 

However, if he was promised a starting role then maybe Buzz knows somethng we don't know about Maymon's ability to immediately make an impact. Even so, it would be pretty rare to expect to step into a starting role as a frosh, but not altogether unknown.

Again, I do not kow why some are focusing on whether a starting role was promised or not.  We should be celebrating the commitment and giving Buzz credit.  The rest will sort itself out and there will be plenty of time for criticism if the wheels come off.  But, that is  down the road, not now.  For now, enjoy!

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:28 AM »
We are glad Maymon is here.  It will be interesting to see what discipline he has.  Many kids have talent, but the ones that succeed have discipline also.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 08:39:32 AM »
Or one could read between the lines and say we have no shot at landing Wilson and Buzz already knows it.  Think about it, Hayward and Mbakwe will likely be starting as a Senior and Junior, and likely a 2009 PG or Acker.  That leaves two spots for Fulce, E Williams, Maymon, Butler, and maybe Wilson. 

If Wilson does come then Williams is the odd man out.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 08:48:03 AM »
Wilson plays over any of those guys. Just because a guy is upperclassmen it does not mean they start over a freshman. When Wilson annouces MU he is instant starter.

Glad to see everyone is concerned about having room for everyone to start. Sounds like a good problem to have.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 08:54:26 AM »
Well if it (guarantee) wasn't offered, I guess Maymon must have....ahem...misspoke.

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/article.asp?nid=14845

“They guaranteed me a starting spot, but I know I will have to work hard to keep that starting spot,” Maymon said.

Or in today's article in the MJS, he says it again

Added Jeronne: "(Williams) told me I'm going to have a starting spot, but I've got to work harder to keep it."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=755758

Yea, this quotes make me nervous.

It's too bad buzz cannot comment on these players yet... because it would be interesting to hear his side.

I'm not saying Jeronne is lying... but this might be a case of some "selective listening".

Obviously we know what Jeronne thinks was said... it would be interesting to hear what Buzz thinks he promised.

Might be along the lines of "You will have an opportunity to start"... which really equates to "I'm not going to hold a freshman back if he is good enough".

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 09:27:04 AM »
Interesting calculated risk by Buzz.  There was a reason neither Bo nor Cream wanted this kid.  His is exceptionally talented with huge upside.  The 2.0 GPA (and some other character issues) along with the overbearing stage father make this a gamble that could very well implode or pay off huge.

The guaranteed starting spot and playing time is more than a little odd and that kind of thing is a slippery slope.  Right now the future roster looks a lot deeper for forwards so who of TM, LH, EW, and JM has to sit a lot more than they expected?

All in all I think Buzz had to get Maymon given the loss of the Big 3 and Williams/Taylor.   If nothing else it made a splash.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
Right now the future roster looks a lot deeper for forwards so who of TM, LH, EW, and JM has to sit a lot more than they expected?

Put all 4 of them on the floor with a PG!  Why not?  LH certainly (and perhaps EW) can play the 2. 

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 09:53:07 AM »
Was Brian Wardle promised a chance to start? I see he started 10 games his freshman year in the Wiki.

nola03

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 09:57:18 AM »
Interesting calculated risk by Buzz.  There was a reason neither Bo nor Cream wanted this kid.  His is exceptionally talented with huge upside.  The 2.0 GPA (and some other character issues) along with the overbearing stage father make this a gamble that could very well implode or pay off huge.

The guaranteed starting spot and playing time is more than a little odd and that kind of thing is a slippery slope.  Right now the future roster looks a lot deeper for forwards so who of TM, LH, EW, and JM has to sit a lot more than they expected?

All in all I think Buzz had to get Maymon given the loss of the Big 3 and Williams/Taylor.   If nothing else it made a splash.

As I wrote yesterday, I think you'll see Maymon at the two. Actually, I guess it will depend if either Williams or Maymon develops a shot before they matriculate.

Maymon seems better suited for the 3. That being the case, Hayward may spend his entire career at Marquette never playing his true position. If Buzz rolls out Mbakwe at the 5, Hayward at the 4, Maymon at the 3, Williams at the 2, and Jesus at the 1 it can  all work.

That gives you back-ups in Outle at the 5, Fulce/Hazel platoon at the 4, Butler at the 2/3, Cubillan at the 2, and Acker at the 1 along with the other 2 recruits Buzz pulls in the 09 class.

MU better win big this coming season because the learning curve could be sharp with 2 or 3 Freshmen starters in 2009-2010.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »
but, who will guard Danny Schayes when we play Syracuse?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 10:08:12 AM »
Was Brian Wardle promised a chance to start? I see he started 10 games his freshman year in the Wiki.

I'm trying to remember the last recruit we had that publicly stated he was given a starting spot.  One thing is for sure, the Maymons like to talk to the press and don't hold anything back.  That ought to be interesting in the future.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 10:30:02 AM »
According to John Eshoo at Rivals "there was no guaranteed starting spot promised".

He said he has the most reliable of sources on this.

So either the Maymons heard what they wanted to hear or somebody is lying.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
According to John Eshoo at Rivals "there was no guaranteed starting spot promised".

I don't think anyone is lying.

More likely - though admittedly speculation on my part - is that JM was told he would be a starter if certain things happened (i.e. his game continues to improve, he qualifies, etc.) and/or he would be given every opportunity to start. To a kid/dad who believes he will qualify and his game will continue its upward arc, that sounds a lot like a guarantee of starting time. In coachspeak, it's no such thing.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »
I don't think we should assign too much credability to a high school junior's words.  Keeping things in perspective, we got ourselves a great recruit and a PF-type to boot. 
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 11:18:01 AM »
Agree Pakuni.

Sounds very plausible.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 11:19:02 AM »
The kid has incredible talent that will be better then most on the roster come November 2009.  I have no doubt this kid will start and play from day 1 and it will be deserved.  Buzz knows it but better yet gave himself an out if things go sideways.  I don't know if Buzz can coach but it sure does seem like he is a straight shooter and will tell it like it is.  My guess is Buzz feels that Maymon is better than Fulce and Butler and considering that he has seen all 3, he would know who would start out of those 3.  

I would be more concerend if Maymon started talking about how everything was going to run through him from day 1 like he was saying about Baylor and Iowa St.  Buzz definitely has his work cut out for him in regards to dealing with this family as they sure are a very unique, out spoken and very demanding.  Here's hoping it works out.  

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
Glad to see everyone is concerned about having room for everyone to start. Sounds like a good problem to have.

+1

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »

Probably just fabricating, right Pakuni  ;)  I agree with your conclusion by the way, though it does seem that the room for interpretation coming from him and dad might come up on more than a few occasions over the coming years.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:36:23 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »
Probably just fabricating, right Pakuni

I know for a fact it's a fabrication.
Jeronne said so.
Did he say it to me? Well, no.
Was he ever quoted as saying it? Ummm ... no.

But I heard that he said so from someone who heard it from a friend whose cousin is in math class with Jeronne's brother's best friend's girlfriend's ex-boyfriend.
It's so true.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 12:47:09 PM »
I know for a fact it's a fabrication.
Jeronne said so.
Did he say it to me? Well, no.
Was he ever quoted as saying it? Ummm ... no.

But I heard that he said so from someone who heard it from a friend whose cousin is in math class with Jeronne's brother's best friend's girlfriend's ex-boyfriend.
It's so true.

You must have missed the part where I said I agreed with your analysis.  Oh well.

By the way, just because it's not in the paper doesn't make it not true.  It's funny how you deem what sources are accurate or not.  An email from a solid source can make it every bit as accurate then anything you read in the paper...didn't the paper say Mkwabe was transferring...you mean the paper can be wrong.  Hmm...strange.

Tom Crean drove the wrong way on a one way street and hit a lady's car.  Find the article for me where it states that....oh wait, there isn't one.  Therefore it's a fabrication....yet it wasn't.  But how can this be, it wasn't in the paper, there was no link.   ::)

Your logic is funny, it really is.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:53:46 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »
I have 4 more starting jobs for any more top 100 players
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »
Indeed - Show me a top 50 signee and I'll show you a guaranteed starter......  ;D
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 05:02:23 PM »
Indeed - Show me a top 50 signee and I'll show you a guaranteed starter......  ;D

Brian Butch   ;)

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 09:18:17 PM »
trevor's thought on transferring may have changed when april hit.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2008, 09:45:17 PM »
We here a lot of stuff regarding Maymon's father. He seems very involved and dedicated to motivating his kid. We have had a lot of players whose father was never involved. Matthews, Wade, Townsend come to mind. I believe his father will make sure he is hitting the books this year. The father is guilty of being enthusiastic and talking to much, but it is nice to see a father that is involved with his son.