'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maymon timing is a bit unusual......  (Read 12059 times)

nola03

Re: Maymon timing is a bit unusual......
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2008, 08:10:44 PM »
In regards to his academics: I remember a guy in 2001 who was a risk to offer a scholarship to because of his academics.  He came here and sat out his first year, and then 2 years later led us to the Final Four.  He also went on to win the NBA Finals MVP in 2006 and is a very big reason as to why we have been able to keep a high level of basketball at Marquette University.  He posted a 3.0 GPA his last semester at Marquette.  If nobody understood, it's Dwyane Wade.

I suspect if the Prop 48 rules (as with Wade) were still in place this would be no issue, especially the large size of the 09 class. They are not and therefore the comparison doesn't apply.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2008, 08:21:46 PM »
Years ago I was at the Palestra watching Villanova play Syracuse.  Low and behold, I was sitting next to the legendary Dolph Schayes and he was watching his son Danny play a tough game against Villanova.  After some "questionable" calls against  Syracuse, Dolph ran onto the floor to yell at the refs and give them a piece of his mind. 

Needless to say, Danny went onto the NBA.  I think we could handle the parent of a future NBA player complaining about a game. 
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

nola03

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2008, 09:17:52 PM »
Needless to say, Danny went onto the NBA.  I think we could handle the parent of a future NBA player complaining about a game. 

Who's the future NBA player you write of?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2008, 09:57:37 PM »
Forget it - the point is we could live with it.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2008, 07:09:43 AM »
mvaile----D Shayes was  out of order but albeit an isolated instance-----but was dolph Schayes on the phone constantly to the coaches about PT and the number of touches his son gets per game? How about the negativity a disgruntled parent can pass on to his son?

The problem with a parent "gone wild" is that it is disruptive and it's a distraction. Even if the kid would turn out to be a super star, it's diminishing returns-----makes it very, very difficult for a coach to build a TEAM!

Looks to me like the father wants his son set up like pete Maravich was at LSU-----troble is this kid doesn't have pete's talent-----and even if he did pete's team was not effective.

Buzz must think he can control the situation and is willing to put up with the father's BS-----huge gamble with perhaps a touch of desperation attached.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 07:42:28 AM by Murffieus »

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2008, 09:51:09 AM »

Looks to me like the father wants his son set up like pete Maravich was at LSU-----troble is this kid doesn't have pete's talent-----and even if he did pete's team was not effective.

In fact, Marivich's father went so far as to act like he was the head coach at LSU. ::)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »
Murff--agree with you on everything excapt the LSU not being successful reference. LSU played us in the NIT in an era when only conference winners made the NCAA. That Tigers team averaged 90 points per game, sdo the offense must have been pretty good.
P.S. I think Maymon's going to Baylor.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »

He is not as good as the best college scorer ever and a top 50 all time NBA player?  Thanks for the insight.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2008, 01:41:46 PM »
He is not as good as the best college scorer ever and a top 50 all time NBA player?  Thanks for the insight.

Not trying to give you any insight on Pete's talent per se----You miss the point, which is that everything flowed through Pete, which hurt the team. First of all it never allowed his teammates to develop, secondly, had to hurt recruiting (who wants to play for a one man team), and finally "one man teams" almost always underachieve.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »
....like Kansas with Danny Manning.....    But in general, you are right for a change, Murf.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2008, 03:47:08 PM »
What do you mean 'for a change"-----Murf is almost always right.

BTW----why do you reference Manning-----he was very good but hardly a one man team in the sense of pete Maravich!

mviale

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2008, 06:01:00 PM »
Tower - your were murfed on that one.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 08:44:04 AM »
You're right, Murff; that Larry Bird Indiana State team went nowhere.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2008, 09:02:52 AM »
I think Maymon will pick MU.