[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Vander Blue Man Group
[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Should Coobie red-shirt?  (Read 4248 times)

tower912

• All American
Should Coobie red-shirt?
« on: May 23, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »
Just thinking out loud here, but with the shoulder surgeries, does it make sense to let DC red-shirt, get JM some time at the point, Wes some time at the 2, and let Butler, Fulce, and Lazar get some quality time at the three?     This leaves Mo and JM and perhaps occasionally Butler as the back up pg's.    The downside is you go into the season with only 11 schollie players.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Re: Should Coobie red-shirt?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:57:54 AM »
I never thought of that, and I actually think that it's all a pretty good idea!

The whole thing about letting JM get some time at the point and then having Wes slide down to the 2 and then Fulce/Butler and how about Lazar too, all getting time at the 3.

I dig it.  Then we'd have him around for another year and so when Acker's gone, we'll still have DC as an upperclassman/back up at the 1.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:05:01 AM »
I think that the decision should have a lot to do with the recovery rate after these surgeries. If he's almost 100% then we should use him in 08-09 to go as far as we can this next season. Having a very successful 1st season should be tied for our top priority along with attracting top flight recruits. Let's not sacrifice a possible contributer in order to set up a backup PG down the line.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »
True, we do need a successful 08-09 season, but if he's recovering from a shoulder surgery and isn't 100% like all thought he was (Mbakwe) and if he doesn't improve from his sophomore slump, then I don't think DC would be that much of a contributor.

If he redshirts, that will provide some upperclassman leadership for the '10-'11 class, which will be lacking after next year. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »
somehow I don't think Coobie would relish the thought of sitting out a year. It would give him the chance to work on his worm dance, though.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:21:58 AM »
somehow I don't think Coobie would relish the thought of sitting out a year. It would give him the chance to work on his worm dance, though.

If we're talking about the .gif avatar TallTitan had, I always thought it was more of a fish out of water dance.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 10:24:30 AM »
I'm of the opinion that he won't be 100%, two shoulder surgeries is kind of a big deal. If he starts the season at 70% but will be 100% by BE play I say don't redshirt him. His energy and defensive intensity have always been his top two characteristics and those can tip a game in our favor.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 10:28:58 AM »
no. i have a feeling we will down one scholarship player (the banked scholie) so their is no reason to do it.
But I like to throw handfuls...

HoopDreams

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 11:19:02 AM »
the way cubillian played at the end of last season he should redshirt permanently...
Tradition Never Graduates..

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 11:24:53 AM »
The poor play had to be related to the pending double shoulder surgeries

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 12:06:02 PM »
Its going to depend upon his recovery.  If he can't get into good basketball condition by early December, he would be a real candidate for a redshirt.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
Does anyone know the exact nature of his shoulder problem? I hope it was not a rotator cuff tear.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »
Does anyone know the exact nature of his shoulder problem? I hope it was not a rotator cuff tear.

The articles have called both surgeries joint capsule repairs.  Not sure what that means.

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 12:33:36 PM »
The articles have called both surgeries joint capsule repairs.  Not sure what that means.

It means he must have been in some serious pain before the surgeries. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 12:57:21 PM »
some of the comments are a little unfair i do not think it is too much of a stretch to beleive that the shoulder issues led to his lower shooting percentage.  Also is long as he is 100% by Be we will need his shooting we seem to have forgotten one of our weaknesses if people are considering redshirting him

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »
Ok, if he redshirts our pg's would be:

James: gets craps and small injuries which knock him out of games
Acker: can't defend anyone over 6'1 gets shut down and can't run the Offence if the guy garding him is somewhat athletic and there is a decent shot blocker/really tall guy in the middle.
McSteal: No evidence in my mind that makes me think him running pg for more than a few possetions wouldn't be a complete disaster.

That seems to be the point people are glossing over.  NBA scouts are saying he has to play point to prove that he can, because he hasn't proven that yet.  Not saying he can't  but until we know i'd like to have DC availble.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 01:11:06 PM »
I think that the original poster was questioning whether he would be able to get to 100%.  Shoulder injuries can take time to rehab from.  I had a capsule problem and it took 6 months of physical therapy to regain full range of motion and I never recovered to full strength.  This did not involve surgery,so I am pretty sure that Coobs is going through some tough rehab right now. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 02:23:46 PM »
Yes, my point was, if he isn't going to be 100% by BEast play, would the program be better long term if he redshirted.   I like Coobie and if he is able to play to his ability, we need him.   Do we need him at 75% in conference?   80%?    What is the threshold for him to be able to positively contribute?    And if he can't how will that affect the rotations and the PT for the new wings?   I intended no disrespect to Coobie, just speculating because it is late May and I am bored.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »
I think it depends somewhat on who our 2009 commitments are. I also think it would be a good idea to redshirt. As a freshman he could hit the three, but could not make an open layup. As a sophomore he could make layups in traffic, but could not hit a three. I do not think I have even seen a players style change so much. I think playing for Venzuela summer team improved his game, but also led to his shoulder injuries. Given the fact that he needed surgury on both shoulders, I can see why he could not come close to hitting a 3 at year end.

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »
The capsule is connective tissue around the shoulder that provides stablity.  He probably had pain as well as instability that caused long range shots to be less accurate than his freshman year.  In my experience, as a PT, a shoulder capsule repair should be very close to 90-100% by 3-6 months as long as there was no other issues in the shoulder.  However, it will take him additional time to trust his shoulders during the physical contact of basketball.  Judging by his age and personality, I would say he won't have a problem next season and his shoulders will likely be in 100% basketball shape by Big East play if no other injuries occur.
"We have the blues on the run!"

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 04:46:16 PM »
Thanks Dr. Rollout.

I vote "No" to the redshirt option.  We need his long range sniping ability this year!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.