* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:24:20 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Recruiting Updates  (Read 11387 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Recruiting Updates
« on: May 19, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »
Recruiting Updates

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (Henry Sugar)

Just a few quick updates regarding recruits.
"...to a waiting Maymon who passed up an opportunity for a highlight reel finish by laying the ball softly off the glass and in with nary a defender in sight."

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/05/recruiting-updates.html

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Recruiting Updates
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »
I would be more excited about this guy who I noticed today on the Wiki as a potential 2009 PG recruit:
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball_recruits/michael_dixon

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:26:17 AM »
Per Scouts,

Darius Smith, 2009, Two Stars, not even ranked

David Brown, 2009, One Star, not even ranked

Sheldon Cooley, could not find on site.

Buzz is going up against East Tenn., Tenn State, Western Michigan and other B-ball powerhouses for these guards.  Not saying he is offering, but??????

Is this a "just in case" the four and five star recruits he is after turn MU down?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »
Per Scouts,

Darius Smith, 2009, Two Stars, not even ranked

David Brown, 2009, One Star, not even ranked

Sheldon Cooley, could not find on site.

Buzz is going up against East Tenn., Tenn State, Western Michigan and other B-ball powerhouses for these guards.  Not saying he is offering, but??????

Is this a "just in case" the four and five star recruits he is after turn MU down?

Keep in mind that Scout hasn't updated their rankings since last year.  Rivals just did their's last week, and Smith went from 2-star to one of the top players in the country.  He's now a legit 4 star player and ranked in their top 100(#62). 

Brown, while not in Rivals top 100 has one of the top players in Illinois for next year, he was just named MVP of a very prestigious AAU tournament, and will be a fringe top 100 guy by the end of the summer if not higher.

This is a volatile time for the rankings.  MU is also recruiting Chris Colvin from Chicago, who prior to last week's update was ranked #40 by Rivals.  Despite having a good season, he dropped over 70 spots and is now ranked #112.  He could just as easily be back in the top 40 with a good summer AAU season. But right now it's just a crapshoot.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:46:24 AM »
BMA, thanks for the update. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »
Some info on Smith from a recent Sun-Times article:

“Darius Smith is a winner,” Butler said. “Right now he’s a mid-major plus type kid, but he’ll pick up some high-major offers because a lot of coaches will appreciate that he knows how to win. His skill set probably wouldn’t suit the Big Ten, he needs to play somewhere more wide-open.”

Smith currently has interest from Bradley, Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin and Dayton.

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/boys_basketball/906369,042108club.article

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »
huh.
'wouldn't suit the big 10'
'play more wide-open'
recruiting interest from 4 big 10 teams.
including the plodding bucky quintet.

huh.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 12:04:49 PM »
im updating the Darius Smith file on the wiki as we speak

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
On that note, I've added a quick link on the "Resources" menu to the WIKI recruiting page -- "Recruiting info".  Also added these items to the table at the bottom of that page.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »
I also see that Scout has put Maurice Sutton No 24 C back on MU's list for 2008 and added AJ Walton out of Little Rock the No. 14 PG for 2009.
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 02:48:04 PM »
Some info on Smith from a recent Sun-Times article:

“Darius Smith is a winner,” Butler said. “Right now he’s a mid-major plus type kid, but he’ll pick up some high-major offers because a lot of coaches will appreciate that he knows how to win. His skill set probably wouldn’t suit the Big Ten, he needs to play somewhere more wide-open.”

Smith currently has interest from Bradley, Illinois, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin and Dayton.

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/boys_basketball/906369,042108club.article

He's perfect then....that will fit the "winning style" we're going to run.   ;)

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
If this is the focus of Buzz's recruiting we are in trouble.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 03:17:33 PM »
Gymbar, are you really PRN?  If not, then congratulations, you are the new 'most negative poster ever'.  If Buzz is on to Sutton, then he is onto the same Sutton that TC was recruiting last fall to MU and lately to IU.   The same Sutton that Kentucky is after.    This is a problem why?      Going after a PG that several other majors are after is a harbinger of doom because?    What a piece of crap Buzz must be for getting in the mix for a decent big and fighting others for a PG.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »
Some news and notes about David Brown ...

Ranked the 5th best prospect in Illinois by Chicagohoops.com:

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/2009rankings.html

Possibly has offers from DePaul, Okie State and Wake Forest:

http://stevenssports.blogspot.com/2008/05/illinois-warriors-come-back-and-beat.html

Was Chris Monter's MVP of the Sabes Invitational:

http://kansasstate.scout.com/a.z?s=173&p=2&c=754075

Oh ... quick question for Gymbar ... how many times have you seen any of these guys play? Could you please fill us in on their strengths, weaknesses, etc.?

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 03:51:07 PM »
Tower---I am negative because I want Buzz to get Lacy, Wilson and Maymon? I am negative because I feel MU could have picked a higher profile, impact coach? I am negative Because I repeatedly say MU is a top 25 program and should be held to those standards? I am negative because I do not follow blindly?

I remember every good move and bad move has made since 1972. TC and the school is currently in it's best position since the early 1980's and I want to see them improve on that. How does that make me negative. I have said a million times I WANT BUZZ TO SUCCEED.

FYI----I have no idea who PRN is and can assure that I am not him.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »
Pakuni---Of course I have not seen them play, like everyone on here is not seen EW play in person. Yet, since EW is coming here his ranking must be accurate. We need to be consistent. If we accept the rankings as honest, a 4 star recruit still is better than a 2 star recruit regardless if you saw him play.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 03:54:47 PM »
I also see that Scout has put Maurice Sutton No 24 C back on MU's list for 2008 and added AJ Walton out of Little Rock the No. 14 PG for 2009.

According to this, MU is one of Walton's three finalists, but Arkansas may be the one to beat. Of course, this is an Arkansas fan site, so who knows if the kid is just playing to his audience, so to speak.

A.J. Walton is wrapping up his junior year at Hall High School, where he helped the Hall Warriors win a 6A Basketball State Title. He has narrowed his choices of colleges to Arkansas, Marquette, and Baylor, but being a Natural State native his number one is obvious.

Walton said, "I love the Hogs, they're at the top of my list right now, and I wouldn't be mad if I ended up at Arkansas."

Walton also added that he will make his decision after this year’s AAU season.

http://arkansasmatters.com/content/fulltext/?cid=70495

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 03:57:18 PM »
gymbar has not seen anyone play.  gymbar is a complainer.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »
ATWIZJr---Actually THE GYMBAR wants MU to win and win big. THE GYMBAR has expectations that include the program being held to high level of excellence. THE GYMBAR feels that TC build a solid foundation and coupled with an outstanding tradition we should build on that.

THEGYMBAR is not going to make excuses and accept every recruit or decision for anything other than what it is as face value. Hiring of Buzz was risky move not am impact hire. so, THEGYMBAR is not going to treat like one.

Your expectations of what this program is and can be are so much lower than the standard I would love to see us have. You read THEGYMBAR's quotes and look for negatives. Never reading the message.

THEGYMBAR WANTS MU TO LIVE UP TO IT'S POTENTIAL. Hardly a complaint, actually a goal.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 04:04:30 PM »
Is that the GYMBEAR?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »

According to this, MU is one of Walton's three finalists, but Arkansas may be the one to beat. Of course, this is an Arkansas fan site, so who knows if the kid is just playing to his audience, so to speak.

A.J. Walton is wrapping up his junior year at Hall High School, where he helped the Hall Warriors win a 6A Basketball State Title. He has narrowed his choices of colleges to Arkansas, Marquette, and Baylor, but being a Natural State native his number one is obvious.

Walton said, "I love the Hogs, they're at the top of my list right now, and I wouldn't be mad if I ended up at Arkansas."

Walton also added that he will make his decision after this year’s AAU season.

http://arkansasmatters.com/content/fulltext/?cid=70495

Strange, i'd say it's playing to his audience, but he had another article written about him the next day by a different Arkansas site and it talks about how Baylor is the favorite, and says he's down to four schools not three.  They both list MU, Arkansas and Baylor, but the other article also includes Oklahoma.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 04:22:17 PM »
Dear THE gymbar:

yes, you are negative.  recent post, "if this is the focus of Buzz's recruiting we are in trouble."

may I add, that if this is NOT the focus of Buzz's recxruiting, then we are NOT in trouble.

Instead of kicking around the obvious why not wait and see exactly what the focus of Buzz's recruiting is before declaring that the sky is falling? 

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »
ATWiz---Because the sky falls awfully quickly in D1 ball. Too much progress made to risk losing ground. Wait and see? What has Buzz done to deserve a wait and see? Proven coaches get a bye from time to time, not inexperienced guys running a top 25 program.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »
Was going to post this earlier about Darius Smith. In addition, I hope this post will get this thread back on topic as well.

I saw Smith play a couple of times last winter. Here are my thoughts:

Very skilled combo guard (1/2) ... Not a pure point guard, but can play there. Smith has excellent quickness, is a good ball handler, and really excels in transition situations. More of a slasher than a jump shooter, but he has a good outside shot. Active defensively.

I agree with his AAU coach that Smith would be best utilized on a team that plays an up-tempo pace. His HS team, Marshall, played at an extremely fast pace ... Always pushing the ball, pressing, trapping, trying to create as many transition opportunities as possible. When I saw Smith play, he was at his best in the open court.

Smith definitely has the skills to be a Big East guard, IMO. The main question I have about him is in regards to his strength. He is very thin, especially in the upper body. He would have to add a great deal of muscle to compete night in and night out with other Big East guards. Again however, it terms of skills, I believe he has what it takes to be a very productive player.