[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Attention all Al's Blue Chips Haters  (Read 12859 times)

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
Attention all Al's Blue Chips Haters
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:33:16 PM »
Do you all not think that this will be helpful come this fall when information about games will be thrown in with information regarding recruits? Is it not better to have a united topic to talk about recruits instead of having to search through archives to get information? I don't see how this is worse off.

Is the real issue really that you guys do not want to have to click one more button than you usually do or do you just not want change?

If you recall I asked if people would be interested in Marquette Recruiting site incorporating both Scout and Rivals. You all answered with a resounding yes so how is this and Wiki not the equivilant you were looking for?

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Attention all Al's Blue Chips Haters
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »
after hating it at first i'm use to it.  I spend enough time on this site, checking two boards isn't a big deal, it may even lead to less thread high jacking.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »
Do you all not think that this will be helpful come this fall when information about games will be thrown in with information regarding recruits? Is it not better to have a united topic to talk about recruits instead of having to search through archives to get information? I don't see how this is worse off.

Is the real issue really that you guys do not want to have to click one more button than you usually do or do you just not want change?

If you recall I asked if people would be interested in Marquette Recruiting site incorporating both Scout and Rivals. You all answered with a resounding yes so how is this and Wiki not the equivilant you were looking for?

I don't like it because it's not necessary. In addition, it hurts the main board because new topics are not being posted there (especially during a slow period, as we have now). Finally, as recruiting gets going here during the summer, your going to face the issue of having double post on both boards. To me, that much more annoying than trying to find a thread about one of the recruits.

jce

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:58:58 PM »
Do you all not think that this will be helpful come this fall when information about games will be thrown in with information regarding recruits? Is it not better to have a united topic to talk about recruits instead of having to search through archives to get information?

No and no.

Recruiting is part of college basketball.  To have a seperate board makes no sense.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 07:02:02 PM »
I hate it.  It's Marquette baseketball.  Why more than one board?

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:37:53 PM »
When i had the idea for a recruiting based blog station it would be something like this

http://www.recruitingplanet.com/forum/wisconsin-basketball-recruiting/index2.html

I know its a badger site but i think it works really well, my suggestion would be for us to have all strictly information one one player (like this website) be in AL's blue chips while everything else (i.e. recruiting strategy, decommits, rumors, and AAU tournaments) all to fall back in Hangin' at the Al. It sounds confusing but I think Al's Blue Chips should only be for high interest recruits like this site shows

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 12:49:46 AM »
I don't like it because it's not necessary. In addition, it hurts the main board because new topics are not being posted there (especially during a slow period, as we have now). Finally, as recruiting gets going here during the summer, your going to face the issue of having double post on both boards. To me, that much more annoying than trying to find a thread about one of the recruits.

Not necessary?  I remember when I first came here I found it pretty difficult to look through the topics and find ones about our recruiting.  I personally find it much easier to just go to a board specifically for recruiting rather than sorting through multiple pages of "double-posted" and useless threads during the season.  I found that many threads created on the main board were essentially trivial and were the same thing put into different words from other threads.  And JCE, yes...recruiting is a part of college basketball, but I think you're totally disregarding the fact that it IS important and I would like to have it organized so I can find all the recent info a lot quicker.  After all, we're going to get the information... it might as well be organized.  Thanks for doing the work of putting it together bleedbluegold03, despite the lack of appreciation.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 05:54:32 AM »
Do you have the ability to keep it all on one board and use tags?  that would be the best of all worlds.

jce

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:39:08 AM »
When i had the idea for a recruiting based blog station it would be something like this

http://www.recruitingplanet.com/forum/wisconsin-basketball-recruiting/index2.html

I know its a badger site but i think it works really well, my suggestion would be for us to have all strictly information one one player (like this website) be in AL's blue chips while everything else (i.e. recruiting strategy, decommits, rumors, and AAU tournaments) all to fall back in Hangin' at the Al. It sounds confusing but I think Al's Blue Chips should only be for high interest recruits like this site shows

That sounds even more difficult and confusing.  I appreciate your passion, but I just don't think it works.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
im just trying to find a happy medium. Come november when we have games this will be so much easier, how do people not see that? (Thanks for the love Jamil_toMU09, i can see you and GYM love the recruiting as much as i do)

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 08:57:53 AM »
it does hurt the main board but not as much as having hte two of them together hurts my ability to read recruiting updates.  It's so much easier, i don't have to read all the silly bickering but still will because it's fun to be part of.  Yes during hte slow part of the year this board might be more popular than the other, and during the season the other will be termendously more popular.  So what.  At least minor recruiting news will stay on the front page for long enough for me to get a chance to read it.  At least threads about recruits visiting won't get hijacked by people who want to turn every thread into a bitch session about the administration.  I think the reason so many people are against this is because a lot of old people come here and old people fear change.  Seriously an extra click and you can get to what you are looking for instead of a big pile of garbage that you get when the two are combined.

And yes the best solutiong would be for the admins to have the ability to check something on a thread to thread basis that woud cause that thread to appear in both boards.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 02:45:02 PM »
Good work... keep up with the effort.  There's great free info here!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

milwaukee ex-pat

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »
I like the board. No big deal having two places to go to.  Like the fact one can go to this board and see the history of when we were contacting interested in different recruits.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 01:00:54 AM »
Well, I'm a sucker for peer pressure. 

This poll seems to show that 60% of the hard core fans here (lets face it, it's the offseason) would prefer to have all discussion on 1 board, and nearly 80% wouldn't mind having discussion on one board.

That leaves only about 20% that love having the new board.  Personally, I'm fairly neutral, but similar to Rawdog, it has grow on me a bit.

We are a user driven website, so very soon (this weekend) this board is going to disappear back into the pile of electrons that it came from.  All the current threads will be moved back to "Hangin' at the Al".

However, I don't want to completely alienate those that like it, so I've revamped the recruiting wiki page.  You'll notice a lot of what you see on this board, and now I've added a table at the bottom of the page that archives new info/headlines and includes a link to the original discussion/thread on the forum.  "New" events/topics are always at the top of the table.  If we all keep this page up to date, we create an excellent reference for those that want to get a "quick" look at Marquette recruiting.  Those that want to get more in depth can follow the links.

Please check out (and bookmark!) the new WIKI page.  I'm actually pretty excited about organizing things this way.
http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball_recruits/start

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 09:20:41 PM »
Rocky...

I love the new Wiki, it seems to me as if thats an excellent alternative. Keeps the Al alive during the offseason and makes it easy to find recruiting news during the season. As usual excellent job