[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hangin' At the Al Suggestions  (Read 11505 times)

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
Hangin' At the Al Suggestions
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
I have just a couple of suggestions as it relates to some recruits and MUSCOOP. By now it is fair to assume that Jamil Wilson and Johnnie Lacy are both names that we have become very used to on these boards. My suggestion is that we have a section in Hangin' at the Al devoted to high possibility recruits. It would offer a much easier way to centralize all of the information when someone is looking for a player. it would kindof follow like this sites suggestion [ ] but with a few tweeks or something entirely different depending on what people wanted.

This kind of follows the revised line of my idea to start a Marquette recruiting site. Someone previously offered to have it be a part of the MuScoop.com website itself and with enough advertising within the site I think it would be a great addition. This section either could be divided into different years, states, or individual players.

This would allow for alot less searching for different subjects and lead to more links to articles on players. During the summer Hangin' at the Al would still thrive because we could still talk about current players, coaches, schedules, upcoming events.

Who do I talk to to get this done?

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Hangin' At the Al Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »
I'm willing to set up a board for recruiting (for discussion), but I would also really like information to make it's way to the WIKI.  It's a great place to consolidate info on the recruits, and every MUScoop user can edit the WIKI with their MUScoop forum username/password.  This way, everyone can participate in adding new articles and information as it becomes available.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball_recruits/start

So here's my challenge -- get some pages filled our for recruiting in the WIKI, and then I'll set the board up.  ;D Deal? You don't even have to worry about formatting that much.  Once "content" is in the WIKI we've got plenty of pros that can go through and put it in a "nice" format.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »
My impression is that very few people use the Wiki or even know of its existence and I think that having the section on this site gives it more credability. Plus that site is really outdated.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:41:25 PM »
So update it!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:45:31 PM »
My impression is that very few people use the Wiki or even know of its existence and I think that having the section on this site gives it more credability. Plus that site is really outdated.

I use the Wiki at least 3-4 times a week.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 12:55:21 PM »
this idea didnt work too well on rivals as people always would post the same links on both sites. so why not keep this the way it is as one stop shop for all things mu hoops.

i like how scoop has a different layout and philosophy than scout.
But I like to throw handfuls...

jce

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »
this idea didnt work too well on rivals as people always would post the same links on both sites. so why not keep this the way it is as one stop shop for all things mu hoops.

i like how scoop has a different layout and philosophy than scout.

I agree.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 02:43:06 PM »

Disagree totally.   During the season, the wiki is used by about ~200-300 people/day.  Off-season, it's about half that.  With over 1000 pages of information, it is THE place to look up MU data.

And that's after only 18 months of it being alive, with traffic increasing every month.   Given another season or two, it will be fantastic.  Over the past 5 months, there's been 15k unique users of the wiki.  True, that number is inflated, but even if it was half to a quarter, that means ~5000 fans know about the wiki.  That's a hell of a chunk of the MU fan universe.

If you are a rabid fan, and using the internet forums like Scout or Scoop .. or Cracked Sidewalks .. generally, you know about the wiki.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »
Over the past 5 months, there's been 15k unique users of the wiki. 

Of those 15k, visitors came from 82 countries and we even had 7 pages viewed from Tanzania.  Tanzania!

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 05:32:07 PM »
It's Tanzania. It's Tanzania!

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 06:18:40 PM »
So here's my challenge -- get some pages filled our for recruiting in the WIKI, and then I'll set the board up.  ;D Deal? You don't even have to worry about formatting that much.  Once "content" is in the WIKI we've got plenty of pros that can go through and put it in a "nice" format.

So i've updated all of the '09 recruits in Rivals area and added every three start prospect and up from Scout.com. Alright now wheres my board?

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 08:42:11 AM »
Talk about a sense of entitlement...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 08:59:58 AM »
Talk about a sense of entitlement...

No kidding, 2 WIKI pages updates and suddenly everyone gets their own board.  lol.

bleedbluegold03...I'll be honest that I'm not impressed with your wiki updates, and a recruiting board is not "your" board.  I'm still willing to set up a recruiting board to see if it catches on - if it doesn't it's gone.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »
Alright now wheres my board?
First im sorry this was taken out of context: it was meant purely to be sarcastic but obviously as you guys don't know me well enough yet it was taken in the wrong light.

Second what exactally are you expecting with the Wiki page, you told me that I should update it and then we would talk. I formated thirty recruits from the Scout.com website onto the page while building on the original format set up with the Rival.com recruit section by adding the top 100 ranking (something I always want to know). I guess I didn't understand what you were looking for.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:20:26 AM by bleedbluegold03 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 09:36:42 AM »
Very true - you're fairly new around here, so it's hard to pick up sarcasm. 

Anyhow, I don't expect this just to be a responsibility on your shoulders, there are several that have expressed interest in recruiting, and I'd like more to contribute to that effort.  What you did on the wiki is a good start, I'm just hoping to see more information about "key" recruits filled in, with bios, links to articles, etc.

Regardless, there is a board set up now. 
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?board=12.0
I've created a number of stickied topics to point to the wiki info.   We'll see how it goes.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 10:25:43 AM »
this move is worse than new coke but not as bad as gold.
But I like to throw handfuls...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »
That figures - I liked New Coke  ;D  (I *hate* coke)

feedback