[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Which of these options would you prefer?

Seeing a single advertisement on MUScoop
7 (30.4%)
Giving to an annual MUScoop fundraiser
3 (13%)
Both would be fine with me
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Revenue?  (Read 12447 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Revenue?
« on: April 25, 2008, 12:33:58 PM »
Selling ad space on MUScoop?  Congratulations!
Ludum habemus.

Gwaki

• All American
Re: Revenue?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »
the server has got to be expensive to run

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:20:29 AM »
the server has got to be expensive to run

*servers

http://www.whois.ws/whois-com/muscoop.com/

The initial hardware cost of running a site quickly pales in comparison to the monthly cost of increasing the size of your pipe to the Intertubes. 

The real cost involved is time.  I run a couple community websites on the side and I'm a software consultant by day.  If I could charge my consulting rate for all the time I spent figuring out hardware issues, upgrading software, random forum admin crap and keeping people happy by continually adding additional functionality I'd be a rich man :p

It's only fair that the site admin makes an attempt at monetizing the site in order to recoup at least SOME of the cost involved in keeping a site up full time :)

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 06:51:33 AM »
Selling ad space on MUScoop?  Congratulations!

I see the Mother's Day cookbook promotion every time I log in. 

Run an ad for Mother's Day flowers and my clickthrough business is yours.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:31:03 AM »
In a few days we will run some flower promotions.

Right now - running a few ads we *think* may be useful to people viewing the site is just a trial. If it works to offset some of our costs, we may keep it going (and play with ways to keep if fairly unintrusive).  We don't want to turn our pages into a sea of banner ads, so suggestions on seasonal / targeted products are appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:15:43 PM by rocky_warrior »

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 05:21:51 PM »
How about donations as a way to offset costs? I know I (and I'm sure a lot of Scoopers would echo my sentiments here) would be happy to help keep Scoop going, and that may eliminate the need for ads.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
How about donations as a way to offset costs? I know I (and I'm sure a lot of Scoopers would echo my sentiments here) would be happy to help keep Scoop going, and that may eliminate the need for ads.

We've thought about donations as well.  We're completely open to the idea, however there are some questions/thoughts with that as well:
  • Would we get enough from an annual donation drive to cover all the costs?  If not, then we may have to run ads anyway.
  • Are people more open to seeing a single banner ad on the site, or having us bug them once a year for a donation?

Like I said, we're just trying an ad right now (pre-mothers day) as a trial.   There are no goals to profit from the site, and we want to keep it a fan-driven website.  Spiral97 and myself cover all the server costs (with super-mods topper and SoCal helping with admin) - and it's not really a big deal.  However...
  • We would like to insure that the success of the site is not dependent on our pocketbooks - especially now that the site is a well known and (mostly) respected source of Marquette basketball discussion & news. 
  • As we gain more users, we may need to get more servers and bandwidth, adding to the monthly cost.

Never fear though, we're completely committed to the site (as always), just feeling out some options.  I'll add a poll to this topic, as a simple attempt to measure the opinions of ads vs. donations.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:45:36 PM by rocky_warrior »

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 06:10:47 PM »
If you need space or something or bandwith for a large file I will gladly host it for you guys on my private server.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 06:32:57 PM »
Thanks for the offer - though we have plenty of space and bandwidth with our current server.  The only problem we've ever run into is the CPU usage gets very high when we've got 300+ users online (since every user browsing and posting creates several SQL queries every minute).  Just for some details...

We have dedicated server for MUScoop.com
We can use up to 1.5 TB of bandwidth every month (never used more than 5% of that)
We have about 42GB of disk space left
Our "Max" CPU usage day came on 4/1 when Crean left - over 37% cpu usage in 24 hours -- which means we were maxed out a lot.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »
From my experience on my sites, ad revenue was negligible.  I've only ever tried AdSense ads though, so I couldn't gauge how much you'll make from your current ads.

A relatively successful donation mechanic that I've seen in practice is the monthly counter: i.e. the graphic on the bottom-right of this site:  http://www.thenoobcomic.com  (yes, I realize I'm a geek for reading the comic :p, but the donation mechanic listing the monthly dontations is relatively well done)

Here's a very descriptive blog post about how to set up your paypal account to accept donations (ignore the Christian Ministry parts, obviously)

http://www.christian-web-masters.com/accepting-online-donations-with-paypal

I'm assuming that you folks are technically inclined with regards to the Intartubes.  If I'm in err, feel free to PM or e-mail me and I'll be happy to help.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 09:03:04 AM »
Like I said, we're just trying an ad right now (pre-mothers day) as a trial.   There are no goals to profit from the site

I hope I didn't come across as insinuating that you guys were using the ads for profit, I totally get that you're doing it to offset the costs of running MUScoop, and I agree with that. If at all possible, it shouldn't come out of just your pockets, hence the fundraising idea.

I suppose each idea is no guarantee, and if the ads are working, I'd be fine with them, if it means keeping the site up and running.

Think we can get $100k from Judas for the site?  ;D

mviale

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »
Rocky - brilliant idea and thanks for your help!

Marc
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »
Revenue could also be generated via Affiliate programs:

The company Replay Photos has a bunch of MU Basketball photos that people can buy... that's the one thing that I think that most people visiting the board have in common; a love for MU BBall :)

Here's a link to their affiliate program sub-site:

http://www.replayphotos.com/affiliate.cfm

If you haven't visited their site before to check out their stock, they must work the the University to get so many images from games throughout the years:

http://www.replayphotos.com/marquettephotos/gallery.cfm?pO=MAR&pC=&pS=&sE=*

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »
The company Replay Photos has a bunch of MU Basketball photos that people can buy... that's the one thing that I think that most people visiting the board have in common; a love for MU BBall :)

We're already in their affiliate program.  You should have started seeing banner ads for them this morning (though the banner ads don't say "ReplayPhotos" - not sure why - but it's just the banners they offer.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 01:59:57 PM »
We're already in their affiliate program.  You should have started seeing banner ads for them this morning (though the banner ads don't say "ReplayPhotos" - not sure why - but it's just the banners they offer.

Hmm, I suppose I should turn off AdBlock Plus.  I'm not seeing anything atm.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »
Hmm, I suppose I should turn off AdBlock Plus.  I'm not seeing anything atm.

If you just want to unblock one thing, the images & links are funneled through shareasale.com

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 09:15:12 PM »
If you just want to unblock one thing, the images & links are funneled through shareasale.com

It allows me the option to "Disable on muscoop.com"

I see them now :)