[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Johnnie Lacy: Academic and Prospect  (Read 20415 times)

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
Johnnie Lacy: Academic and Prospect
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:28 PM »
Well from what I've read tonight we look very very good to sign Johnnie Lacy (Knock on wood?). Obviously the only question at this point is will he be academically eligable to make the team in '09. My question is is this a real concern? I understand many think this could hold him from being able to go to college but honestly how hard is it to get a flipping tutor and pass your classes?

Anyways, continuing to be positive here is a link to an article stating Lacy still sees us as his number one
"He is high on Marquette despite the recent coaching change, but also lists Tennessee, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Cincy."
http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/eventreports/kingjamesclassictopperformers

PS: Really good news I just found out is that Lacy's AAU team, the Playground Warriors, is the same as Jamil Wilsons. That can only help us and we all know every little bit helps.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:35:30 PM by bleedbluegold03 »

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Re: Johnnie Lacy: Academic and Prospect
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:11:41 AM »
You can probably go ahead and cross UW off that list, they have a PG coming in for '08 and Vander Blue, their '10 recruit projects as a combo guard.

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:33:01 AM »
You can probably go ahead and cross UW off that list, they have a PG coming in for '08 and Vander Blue, their '10 recruit projects as a combo guard.
Good point but the question still remains, how concerned should we be?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:34:32 AM »
If we are his number one what is stopping him from committing? Have we offered?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 07:08:31 AM »
Grades. We can no longer take partial qualifiers as a member of the Big East.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 07:19:14 AM »
so, we cannot take any kids like Wade?  I assume, then, that we will not offer until we are certain his grades will qualify him fully.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 07:37:28 AM »
My question is is this a real concern? I understand many think this could hold him from being able to go to college but honestly how hard is it to get a flipping tutor and pass your classes?

Yes it is a very real concern.  It isn't just about passing your class, it is about getting a certain grade and GPA combined with a certain ACT score to pass the NCAA admission requirements.  There's a very good chance neither Lacy nor Jerrone Maymon will qualify because of that.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 07:42:21 AM »
Yes it is a very real concern.  It isn't just about passing your class, it is about getting a certain grade and GPA combined with a certain ACT score to pass the NCAA admission requirements.  There's a very good chance neither Lacy nor Jerrone Maymon will qualify because of that.

BMA - this just makes me more worried about our PG status in 09.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 08:46:46 AM »
what does it say about Wisconsin education if these kids can't pass a standardized test that millions of kids pass every year?

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 08:51:29 AM »
What does it say??   uhh well nothing new.  I read a stat a few years ago that of some number like 40,000? kids in Milwaukee public high schools like 32 went to a 4 year college upon graduation.  I mean with all the grants and scholarships especially for minorities it was an absolutely dumbfounding number.  I do not remember the actual stats but they were so amazing i almost fell out of my chair.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 10:07:42 AM »
That being said be glad you don't live in the South.  I live in Atlanta and public schools are terrible compared to the majority of WI public Schools.  In fact, recently one of the local high schools lost it's accreditation...imagine going to high school and finding out your school's program doesn't exist in the eyes of universities...what a shame.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:14:49 AM »
That being said be glad you don't live in the South.  I live in Atlanta and public schools are terrible compared to the majority of WI public Schools.  In fact, recently one of the local high schools lost it's accreditation...imagine going to high school and finding out your school's program doesn't exist in the eyes of universities...what a shame.

Well I bet your property taxes aren't over 2% of you're homes value! Think of it, by the time your 30 year mortgage expires you have paid 2.5 times the value to the bank and 60% of the value to the state....

Makes me sick that 70% of property taxes go to schools where 1% of the kids go to college.  Anyway, make it happen Lacy.

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
What I have never figured out is 2 things: how are the technical colleges immune to reduced fianncing (see how much of your property tax goes to MATC) and why no one ever proposes a consolildation of  the UW system. I am not proposing less seats in the class room for students but reduce the numer of 2 year and 4 year locations.  A lot of 4 year locations have 6k students.  Being in a business that reduces expense through economies of scale seems we could get rid of a few campusses and still provice education to all that want it.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 11:31:24 AM »
Well I bet your property taxes aren't over 2% of you're homes value! Think of it, by the time your 30 year mortgage expires you have paid 2.5 times the value to the bank and 60% of the value to the state....

Makes me sick that 70% of property taxes go to schools where 1% of the kids go to college. 

True, and doesn't the state of WI have a deficit right now?  I think I've heard of many school districts in WI cutting back as much as they can due to lack of funding...

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »
What I have never figured out is 2 things: how are the technical colleges immune to reduced fianncing (see how much of your property tax goes to MATC) and why no one ever proposes a consolildation of  the UW system. I am not proposing less seats in the class room for students but reduce the numer of 2 year and 4 year locations.  A lot of 4 year locations have 6k students.  Being in a business that reduces expense through economies of scale seems we could get rid of a few campusses and still provice education to all that want it.

You're right about that, I remember reading a few years back that Mequon or a similar suburb got rid of their technical program because it was to costly.  All I see on the tax bill is like 68% of it going to schools.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 12:17:51 PM »

Makes me sick that 70% of property taxes go to schools where 1% of the kids go to college.  Anyway, make it happen Lacy.

I wish my property taxes were only 2 percent of my home's value. I'd be much closer to finally buying a boat if that were the case.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »

I guess you would rather have every kid pay more than $20k to go to school then?  Sorry that isn't feasible in a state where there isn't an over abundance of wealth.  We need our smart kids to stay here so the state doesn't fall apart... offering them a great education for a low price is beneficial to our state's economy.

also, Wisconsin public schools are some of the best in the nation.  They have been in the top 5 for education for years.  Yes, Milwaukee has its shortcomings, but I would rather send my kid to MPS than to somewhere like Detroit or Jackson, MS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 01:44:35 PM »
I wish my property taxes were only 2 percent of my home's value. I'd be much closer to finally buying a boat if that were the case.

Yeah, no kidding....and we have property tax protection in California but I still paid 7% of the home's value in property taxes this year and a whopping 12% on the assessed value.  Thank you Howard Jarvis or I'd be paying twice that much...which would mean I'd be leaving California along with half the state.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 01:53:53 PM »

Yeah, no kidding....and we have property tax protection in California but I still paid 7% of the home's value in property taxes this year and a whopping 12% on the assessed value.  Thank you Howard Jarvis or I'd be paying twice that much...which would mean I'd be leaving California along with half the state.

Look at things on the bright side: Your property tax bill has got to be getting more palatable the way Southern Cal property values are heading these days.  ;)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 01:57:32 PM »

+1,000,000

augoman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 02:06:02 PM »
actually, I think WI's technical schools are a bargain- we pay a hell of a lot less to train (and to re-train) these students in a field of their interest allowing them to qualify for a J.O.B., rather than supporting them for eternity as hopelessly unemployable.  Further, I know for a fact that the highest scoring registered nurses on the board exams did not come from MU, or UWM, or UW, or any 4 year school, but from a 2 year technical school! 

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »
thank you for completely deviating from the topic at hand

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »
thank you for completely deviating from the topic at hand
I'm unsure there is really anything else to say about Lacy's grades.  He has yet to receive his final grades this year, and a lot rides on what he does next year in the classroom and in the ACT testing center.  That's about all anyone can say right now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:22:08 PM by Wareagle »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 03:17:19 PM »
Look at things on the bright side: Your property tax bill has got to be getting more palatable the way Southern Cal property values are heading these days.  ;)

Actually no, the taxes are on the assessed value which keeps going up.  The value has gone down, but it's still about $250K above the assessed value so my property tax bill is going the wrong way.  UGH

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »
Actually no, the taxes are on the assessed value which keeps going up.  The value has gone down, but it's still about $250K above the assessed value so my property tax bill is going the wrong way.  UGH

Is the weather really that great?  Are the women really that good looking?