[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:08:31 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Tribune Article (May 1) About The Process Involved In Hiring Buzz  (Read 28023 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Internal hiring at Marquette has pros, cons
By: James Teats and Steve Yanda
Posted: 5/1/08

http://media.www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2008/05/01/News/Internal.Hiring.At.Marquette.Has.Pros.Cons-3358702.shtml

Internal hiring at Marquette
Pros and cons
Hiring from within at other universities
Upper level administrative postions that need to be filled at Marquette

Incoming Provost John Pauly is just one of a handful of recent hires Marquette made internally, sparking discussion over the legitimacy of such moves. In addition to Pauly, Dean William Cullinan of the College of Health Sciences, Athletic Director Steve Cottingham and Head Coach Brent "Buzz" Williams of the men's basketball team also are recent internal hires.

"In instances where internal candidates were hired, it was clearly a reflection of the excellent recruiting and retention of talented individuals that Marquette has done over time," said Brigid O'Brien Miller, director of university communication, in an e-mail. "It is natural to expect that these individuals would have potential for upward mobility. It is not surprising that Marquette would seek to advance into higher positions its most promising leaders."

Marquette currently has openings in five upper-level administrative positions: deans of the Colleges of Business Administration, Nursing and Arts & Sciences, as well as an interim dean for the College of Communication and vice president of Student Affairs.

Searches to fill these positions are underway, according to Miller.

Certainly, there are pros and cons to internal candidates, and the university undoubtedly will review such applications in the coming months.

In Pauly's case, he wasn't looking to move up the administrative ladder at Marquette. He was happy with his current job as dean of the College of Communication. But after people at Marquette nominated him for the university provost opening, he decided to apply for the position.

More than 50 applicants and a nationwide search later, university president the Rev. Robert A. Wild deemed Pauly the best person for the job.

Pauly said justifying internal hires depends on the position and context. He said with a university fostering the growth of its employees, internal leaders will emerge.

"But it's important not to be 'comfy,'" Pauly said. "Sometimes we have to reconsider whether we're as good as we think we are."

At his provost forum in March, Pauly said he told people not to choose him because they liked him and were comfortable with him, but because he was the best candidate to move the university forward.

Like Pauly, St. Louis University Provost Joe Weixlmann said he would not have applied for the position if he wasn't already a dean at the university. After being a dean for 10 years, he said he wasn't looking for the switch to provost.

Weixlmann served as interim provost in 2002 and assumed the position full-time a year later after a nationwide search.

He said a national search for new deans has always been conducted during his time as provost and that the university is typically more likely to choose external candidates.

"Sometimes you just have to go outside because of politics and things like that," Weixlmann said.

He said it is generally more expensive to hire external candidates from a salary standpoint.

Robert Doolittle, a communications professor at the University of Tulsa, described internal hiring as a "mixed bag." He said there are some times when internal hiring is good, while other times it turns out sour.

In his career, Doolittle said he has witnessed internal hires being chosen for the wrong reasons, such as the administration not wanting to spend the money for an outside search. He said internal hiring can be the quickest and easiest way to fill a position.

When a university chooses an interim administrator to move to the full-time position, Doolittle said the university sometimes commits to a national search to test how the interim measures up to other candidates. He said an advantage of internally hiring an interim is that the university gets to see firsthand what that person can do.

Bruce Rasmussen understands the scrutiny that sometimes accompanies an internal hire for a high profile position at a university. Almost 14 years ago, Rasmussen was named the director of athletics at Creighton University after a two-year stint as the school's associate athletic director. He had previously spent 12 years as the Creighton women's basketball coach.

Though Rasmussen was familiar with Creighton coaches, athletes, boosters, administrators and fans at the time he was hired as the director of athletics, he also heard the whispers. There was a contingent that wondered why the university hadn't gone outside its own athletic department to bring in someone with a more administrative background, said Rasmussen.

"In hindsight," Rasmussen said last week in a phone interview, "I think it turned out OK."

Rasmussen has made his share of hires ­- both external and internal. He said there needs to be a strong, established track record of involvement from the university president and athletic director in order to justify hiring internal candidates.

"In the absence of that, it is much more difficult," Rasmussen said. "People think you've taken the easy way out. They say, 'You tell me you looked outside, but you can't prove to me that you looked outside.' "

In February, Cottingham was named Marquette's athletic director after a 14-month interim stint during which he conducted the search for a permanent replacement. Though Cottingham stated throughout the search process that he was not interested in the full-time position, he eventually concluded he was the best person for the job.

Of the 60 candidates who applied for the full-time position, none were interviewed. As a private institution, Marquette is not required to conduct interviews with any specific number of applicants.

Before joining in 1995 Marquette's Office of the General Counsel, the principal representative for legal matters involving Marquette University, Cottingham worked in private practice for a law firm currently known as Reinhart, Boerner, Van Deuren, S.C., based in Milwaukee. He became the university's associate senior vice president in September 2003.

Less than two months into his term as athletic director, Cottingham had to hire a new men's basketball coach after Tom Crean left to take over the program at Indiana. A week-long search led to the announcement that Buzz Williams would be Crean's replacement. Williams served as one of Crean's assistant coaches during the 2007-'08 season.

Prior to assuming the reins at Marquette, Williams had one stint as a head coach. He led the University of New Orleans to a 14-17 record in 2006-'07.

Senior Vice President Greg Kliebhan, who played a major role in the hirings of both Cottingham and Williams, declined an interview request.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

In February, Cottingham was named Marquette's athletic director after a 14-month interim stint during which he conducted the search for a permanent replacement. Though Cottingham stated throughout the search process that he was not interested in the full-time position, he eventually concluded he was the best person for the job.

Of the 60 candidates who applied for the full-time position, none were interviewed.

absolutely remarkable for all the wrong reasons

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

None interviewed....NONE.  Amazing

mr.MUskie

• All American
Senior Vice President Greg Kliebhan, who played a major role in the hirings of both Cottingham and Williams, declined an interview request.

I'll bet he did.

Avenue Commons

• All American

Mind numbing. It's bizarre, really.
We Are Marquette

THEGYMBAR

That pretty confirms my fears. MU really is out of touch with the business of college sports. They believe that 16K idiots, like me, will show up forever and be the golden goose. Everyday that goes by I see my bar for success is quite higher than the school's.

Am I the only one that thinks this is a business? MU runs this thing like it is a hobby. Sooner or later that arrogance will get them. At least I hope it is arrogance and not just that they are out of touch.

I dislike UW quite a bit, but their success started with AD Pat Richter. If the AD is a dolt chances are the sports will follow.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
I don't know where to begin except to say, it sounds like amateur hour.  

An organization is destined for failure when there are really bad decisions made and there are no negative consequences for those making them.  The problem is, in this case, we won't see the results of the decisions for a couple of years.  

There is no way Cottingham is more qualified than all 60 candidates.  

nola03

Mind numbing. It's bizarre, really.

Bizarre is one word. unnatural carnal knowledgeing disaster is a phrase I'd like to use.

Blind faith fans wonder why some of us questioned the hiring process. When it's been well known for the last 2 months that Cottingham never interviewed anyone for a position he himself had no interest in only to name himself to the position everyone knew the basketball coach hiring would be a unnatural carnal knowledge-up.

By all accounts, we don't have issues with Buzz Williams. We have issues with an inept administration conducting a bird-brained hiring process. Seriously, how do you only interview one person for a Big East coaching job?

mr.MUskie

• All American
There is no way Cottingham is more qualified than all 60 candidates.  

HE thinks he is.
"Though Cottingham stated throughout the search process that he was not interested in the full-time position, he eventually concluded he was the best person for the job."

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.

YIKES.

That is not encouraging.

What is encouraging is the writing that the tribune is putting out there. Fantastic stuff.

Much, much better analysis that any of the other local rags.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Re: MU Tribune Article (May 1) About The Process Involved In Hiring Buzz
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 03:32:29 PM »

HE thinks he is.
"Though Cottingham stated throughout the search process that he was not interested in the full-time position, he eventually concluded he was the best person for the job."

And he is really objective. Oy vey! ?-(

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 03:51:11 PM »
The problem as I see it is the admin and BOT arrogance. MU like any other university has seen great revenue years in the past ten years. It is almost like they believe they are doing something special. They are not!!! Every school worth a damn has benefited from a wide range of financial windfalls recently.

Good schools look at for it is worth. You would have had to be a complete fool in the 2000's not to see endowment grow in records numbers. Now, with weaker economy schools will need to market themselves better to stay ahead.

It looks to me that MU leadership fails in this economic environment. There is no accountability and we as alums, fans, parents of students or all of the above should not accept it.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 04:19:03 PM »

HE thinks he is.

How does anyone make that conslusion when nobody was interviewed?  That is almost impossible to believe. Really a discouraging admission.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 04:24:42 PM »

HE thinks he is.

He concluded that because Wild told him he was.  Wild wanted Cottingham from the beginning and he is the reason no other candidates were interviewed.  Wild was just waiting him out until he finally decided to take the job.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 04:36:03 PM »
How do you run a multi-million dollar business like this? Larry, Curly, and Moe would do a better job.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jce

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 04:42:01 PM »

I am all for hiring internal candidates, but you have to do so after running a proper search where they are put up against other candidates.  Mostly because it adds legitimacy to their candidacy.  I have a hard time believing that, of the 60, none were worth an interview.  Or maybe they should have hired a search firm to help with the process.

And Cottingham might turn out to be the best choice and a great AD.  My problem isn't with him, it's with the people that make these decisions.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 05:01:57 PM »
He concluded that because Wild told him he was.  Wild wanted Cottingham from the beginning and he is the reason no other candidates were interviewed.  Wild was just waiting him out until he finally decided to take the job.

So you are saying he didn't want the job at first and then a year later changed his mind.  I'm not saying that isn't the case but why wasn't he interviewing other people if he thought he wasn't going to take the job.  I have a hard time thinking that he didn't plan on taking it the entire time.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
You are all failing to see what really happened......
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 05:55:21 PM »
Of the 60 candidates who applied for the full-time position, none were interviewed.
Here's a link to the 60 applicants

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=mlist

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: You are all failing to see what really happened......
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 06:26:58 PM »
Here's a link to the 60 applicants

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?action=mlist

Good one.

In all seriousness, I know three folks in the sports business that applied that have very solid qualifications....two with MU ties, all three with college sports administration backgrounds (one of them with a pro sports background).  From my conversations with them, they got a letter recognizing their application and that was it.  All three still live in the Midwest as well, so going to Milwaukee would not have been an issue.

Oh well.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »
Maybe this is just because I am a proud grad of the journalism program, but I am extremely impressed with the quality of reporting and writing in that story. In fact, there have been several recent articles from the Trib that have been nothing short of outstanding. It's good to see our student media is thriving. Hopefully, a few newspapers will still be around so these kids can get jobs when they graduate.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »
Good one.

In all seriousness, I know three folks in the sports business that applied that have very solid qualifications....two with MU ties, all three with college sports administration backgrounds (one of them with a pro sports background).  From my conversations with them, they got a letter recognizing their application and that was it.  All three still live in the Midwest as well, so going to Milwaukee would not have been an issue.

Oh well.

Just curious as to what you mean by "very solid qualifications".  Did any of them serve as head Athletic Director at a major D1 university?  Or would this be a step up for them?  How big a step?

For all the criticism of Cottingham on this board, he DID have the job for 14 months before the interim title was removed from his name.  People got to see him perform in the same role that Bill Cords held.  I'm not aware of anything that suggests he fell short of Cords in any aspect of his performance. 

Until we know the qualifications and experience of those 60 other applicants--especially with regards to serious issues like NCAA compliance, legal agreements, enforcement, etc--I'm not willing to automatically assume that those others were more qualified. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 08:01:01 PM »
Just curious as to what you mean by "very solid qualifications".  Did any of them serve as head Athletic Director at a major D1 university?  Or would this be a step up for them?  How big a step?

For all the criticism of Cottingham on this board, he DID have the job for 14 months before the interim title was removed from his name.  People got to see him perform in the same role that Bill Cords held.  I'm not aware of anything that suggests he fell short of Cords in any aspect of his performance. 

Until we know the qualifications and experience of those 60 other applicants--especially with regards to serious issues like NCAA compliance, legal agreements, enforcement, etc--I'm not willing to automatically assume that those others were more qualified. 

One has served as an AD at a DI university that also has football, I'd call that major.  It was not a BCS conference, but good enough that their winner goes to a bowl game, let's put it that way.

The other two spent years in athletics administration at the college level, on the business end primarily.  Raising revenues, etc.

Steve may be the right guy, but it is incredibly troubling to me that no one was interviewed for such a high profile position.  It's kind of the old school way MU used to do things with Al as AD in the mid '70's, Hank as AD for about 10 years. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 08:33:38 PM »
Flashback .. Dick Cheney heads a Republican Nominee GWBush's vice-presidential running-mate search in 2000.

Surprise!  Cheney is tops on the list for VP candidates.

Although .. at least Cheney probably interviewed a few guys. 

If that quote is right .. that the author really heard Cottingham explain that "he eventually concluded he was the best person for the job"  holy crap.   That's just no way to run an organization. 

nola03

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 09:39:56 PM »

Come on, not one of the 60 was more qualified? Cottingham is a lawyer by trade with very limited experience in athletics administration and you'd like to believe that not one of the 60 applicants didn't have better qualifications then the present AD.

Either your head is in the sand or MU writes your paycheck.

Friends call me Shaka

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 11:35:12 PM »
I remember hearing Majerus talk at NCAA pre- game dinner in Indy - one comment stood out(paraphrase)...all universities WANT to win, but very few really understand the commitment required TO Win. I think settling on an AD without extensive external search leads me to believe we my fail to understand what it will take to compete. I hope I am wrong, but am not encouraged by what I am seeing here....

feedback