'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] MU hires two assistants  (Read 8817 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] MU hires two assistants
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 02:45:08 PM »
And used to the Jesuit experience:
Fairfield University is a Jesuit institution that prepares undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education students for leadership and service in a constantly changing world. Approximately 5,000 students from 35 states, 46 countries, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico are enrolled at the University's six schools. The University was founded in 1942 in the scenic shoreline community of Fairfield, Connecticut.
Fairfield is a great school.  I have a brother and a sister who graduated from there.  I go to 5-10 of their games a year, since they and Sacred Heart are the closest D-I schools around me.  Fairfield is not, however, a good basketball school, even for the level at which it competes.  It is at best a middle of the pack school in a poor conference, and has been almost forever (a brief spike in 80's when Mitch Buonaguro succeeded Terry O'Connor, which was a perfect storm of a good coach/horrible recruiter following a good recruiter/horrible coach).  Haven't noticed a huge spike in incoming talent since Cooley/Collins arrived, either.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
Was there this much griping when Tom Crean hired his original assistants from the powerhouse programs of Oakland University, Morehead State and Ball State?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:13:56 PM by Pakuni »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »
With a high profile staff like this, I'm sure recruits will be climbing over themselves to enroll.

As opposed to a staff of assistants (and ops folks) anchored  by a guy who was canned from his only head coaching gig, another who learned his craft from a habitual cheater, another who was run outta town under difficult circumstances in West Texas, another who was canned when Ill State cleaned house, and Buzz Williams?

Give these guys a chance.....Benford = very good hire IMHO.  Aki - Jesuit university background and East Coast heritage that MU desperately needed. 

Lets see what happens next.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:17:04 PM by NYWarrior »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 03:16:48 PM »
Rosiak's article has gotten significantly longer since this thread started

quoted from here

After a lengthy search process, Buzz Williams now has filled two of the three spots on his coaching staff.

Tony Benford, a Division I veteran who spent the last two seasons at Nebraska, and Aki Collins, a native New Yorker who spent the past two seasons at Fairfield, have been hired. Collins arrives in town early this afternoon and Benford later in the evening, and both are expected to jump right into their new positions.

"Real excited to have both of them here," said Williams. "I think that they're both dominant pieces in regards to the future of our program, but I don't think I won't say the same thing about anybody else that I will hire."

Benford, 44, has 16 seasons of Division I experience as an assistant. Prior to his stint at Nebraska he spent eight seasons at Arizona State, including the last two as an associate head coach, and six seasons at New Mexico.

A fourth-round pick of the Boston Celtics in 1986, Benford has known Williams since Williams first broke into the coaching business.

"He was already a full-time assistant at New Mexico when I started at UT-Arlington," Williams said. "Since the BCS has been formed he's been in a BCS league the entire time. Has great relationships in the Midwest. His next move will be as a head coach -- that's my opinion."

Benford said he wasn't necessarily looking at leaving Nebraska until he sat down and began discussing the possibilities at MU with Williams. Benford had been working at Nebraska with coach Doc Sadler, a former assistant of Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie -- one of Williams' mentors.

"I think it's going to be a situation where I'm working with Buzz, and not for him," Benford said. "We're working together for the same goal, which is to win a national championship. I think I can bring a lot to the table to help Buzz and help the program continue to be at an elite level.

"Buzz said, 'I need a coach -- not just a recruiter. Someone who will help me in all aspects of the program.' And I know that with my experience through the years...I know what to do and what not to do, and I think it's going to be a great fit."

Collins, 36, has 10 seasons of Division I experience as an assistant. Prior to his stint at Fairfield he spent three seasons at Marshall, three seasons at Howard and two at Colorado.

A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Collins' recruiting ties to the East Coast played a role in his addition to Williams' staff. The middle man in introducing Williams and Collins was Gillispie.

"I think it's important we have a presence where we play," said Williams. "I think any coach will tell you that, that it's important to be able to recruit where you play. Obviously he's from New York, went to high school in New York, has great relationships up and down the East Coast, and he will be able to help us continue to recruit where we play. He has great relationships with coaches in the East, in the Mid-Atlantic area."

Collins said Thursday afternoon, en route to MU, that he's already been working his connections.

"I started making some phone calls and letting my contacts on the East Coast know I'm taking this job at Marquette, and now it's time for them to help me out," Collins said. "We need some players, and we have to compete with Syracuse and Georgetown and Notre Dame, which goes into New York strong. The New York schools are trying to protect their home turf.

"We have to be able to get in there and get some players that can help us compete at a high level. And we also have to be able to recruit up and down the East Coast, as well as the country. There's players all over the place that can play; it's our job as assistant coaches to go out and find those players and sell Marquette."

Williams now has one spot on his staff left to fill.

"I think that as you put together a staff, it's like recruiting, putting your team together," he said. "I did not make a move with Aki or Tony until I had complete peace that they were exactly what we needed, where we needed and how we needed. I'm going to hire the other coach --  it could be today, it could be next week, it could be 10 days from now - when I have complete peace that they are the absolute right piece to the puzzle in regards to making sure we have the best staff in the country.

"I'm not going to rush to do that."

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »
Was there this much griping when Tom Crean hired his original assistants from the powerhouse programs of Oakland University, Morehead State and Ball State?
Excellent Point...

Why is it that some people are going to piss and moan about everything the program does?  We haven't even conducted 1 PRACTICE yet and we've already judged this staff...

jce

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2008, 03:28:11 PM »
Excellent Point...

Why is it that some people are going to piss and moan about everything the program does?  We haven't even conducted 1 PRACTICE yet and we've already judged this staff...

Agreed.  Remember that Buzz has to be first and foremost comfortable with the people he hires.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »

When Crean was hired, was Marquette in a position to hire one of several coaches with signicant Division 1 head coaching experience who presumably could have brought a strong staff -- with MIDWEST TIES -- with them?

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »
Bliss never got into trouble with the NCAA while at New Mexico (where Benford was with him).

Wasn't Tony Bennett at UW when they went on probation? Good thing MU didn't hire that guy.

That is true, Bliss was the picture of integrity when he was at UNM...Benford worked with the good Bliss, not the one that cracked at Baylor and sold out his soul.  Bliss at that time had New Mexico playing pretty consistently at the top of the Mountain West…he was "let go" because UNM fans (myself included) felt he couldn't get the Lobos past the first round of the tourney.  Then we sold our souls to that charlatan Fran Frachilla and he had the program in the toilet in 3 years.

I think Benford is a pretty good hire.

Kenny Thomas was actually a Texan (El Paso) before transferring to ABQ High and eventually on to UNM.  Notice a trend happening here, that is right meet Marquette's new recruiting area of operations…Texas.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »
And didn't our former fearless leader, Sir Crean, loose at Nebraska not so long ago?

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »
Bliss did a good job when he was at Oklahoma.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 04:07:46 PM »

Coming off a losing season back then, no I don't think there was.  People were just hoping like hell someone could turn around a losing team.  Not sure 9 years later we're in the same boat as we were in 1999.  That being said, it's Buzz's call and hopefully it works out. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 04:11:30 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »
That is true, Bliss was the picture of integrity when he was at UNM...Benford worked with the good Bliss, not the one that cracked at Baylor and sold out his soul.  Bliss at that time had New Mexico playing pretty consistently at the top of the Mountain West…he was "let go" because UNM fans (myself included) felt he couldn't get the Lobos past the first round of the tourney.  Then we sold our souls to that charlatan Fran Frachilla and he had the program in the toilet in 3 years.

Bliss had problems at SMU before he got to New Mexico, though they weren't as bad as what he did at Baylor, he was never really a clean guy.  Going to UNM he was really just staying one step ahead of the mob.  Maybe he cleaned it up while there, but he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »
Bliss had problems at SMU before he got to New Mexico, though they weren't as bad as what he did at Baylor, he was never really a clean guy.  Going to UNM he was really just staying one step ahead of the mob.  Maybe he cleaned it up while there, but he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Bliss' problems at SMU were more institutional problems than his problems individually. At the time they had boosters, one in particular, buying and paying players for mostly football but also hoops. That's what landed the death penalty for the football program.
I'm not claiming that Bliss was unaware of what was happening, but I don't believe there were allegations that he personally was involved, which was not the case at Baylor.

Regardless, if we're going to the Bliss association against Benford, then it's a good thing MU didn't hire Tony Bennett for his obvious involvement in the Shoe Box scandal.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »
When Crean was hired, was Marquette in a position to hire one of several coaches with signicant Division 1 head coaching experience who presumably could have brought a strong staff -- with MIDWEST TIES -- with them?

Yes. Perry Watson was among those who wanted the job, among others and MU could have made a push for Steve Alford.
Though I'm not sure what that has to do with who Williams chose as two of his assistants.
Perhaps you want a coaching staff capable of recruiting Illinois and Wisconsin only. You're entitled to that opinion. I, for one, am glad MU is willing and able to recruit nationally.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 04:28:36 PM »

Pakini is right on and there were never any problems or investigations at UNM.  After the Baylor fiasco UNM's admin (and the ABQ Journal) dipped back into the Bliss era just to check and make sure he didn't do the same things while at UNM.  

All clean...though I have a feeling you are right and he was never really a "clean guy" so either he chose to be clean at UNM or was spectacular at hiding it when he was living in Albuquerque.  Personally, I think he had enough resources at UNM that being dirty was not necessary…at smaller programs it appears he had a propensity to revert to his un-clean ways.

With respect to our new assistant coach Benford though, it appears he's never worked under a coach that was found to be dirty while he was in their employ.  That's a good thing and his association with Bliss should be considered in that context.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »
Perhaps you want a coaching staff capable of recruiting Illinois and Wisconsin only. You're entitled to that opinion. I, for one, am glad MU is willing and able to recruit nationally.

First and foremost, I'd like a coaching staff on which the chain of command is clear. Right now, we've got a newly hired assistant saying to a reporter that he doesn't really "work for" our head coach.

Did that happen on the day Crean hired his assistants?

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2008, 04:53:09 PM »
Yes. Perry Watson was among those who wanted the job, among others and MU could have made a push for Steve Alford.

I think Alford has a few more years of pennance in Albuquerque to perform before making another attempt at coaching in the B-10.

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 05:04:38 PM »
First and foremost, I'd like a coaching staff on which the chain of command is clear. Right now, we've got a newly hired assistant saying to a reporter that he doesn't really "work for" our head coach.

Oooh, I didn't catch that.  Not good, though pretty much every assistant with the requisite experience necessary to be hired on at a program like MU will likely have considerably more experience than our 35 year-old newby.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 03:55:31 AM »

I think the chain of command is clear.  Buzz will retain the ability to hire and fire.  On the other hand, Buzz certainly seems to have a different management style than our previous coach. 

Buzz has said some things that indicate a different approach, at least publically. For example, during his first press conference he was going on about how it is all about the players.  Now apparantly saying working with, not working for, etc.  It seems Buzz is taking a much more team-oriented, less dictatorial approach.  I am not sure it will be successful but hey, it's his management style. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 05:53:37 AM »

PRN,
First you hate Crean because he runs his program with an iron fist (runs off players, coaches, markets himself over the program, etc) now you complain about Buzz because he has more of a "we" mentality?    Are you bitter because you attended some other Milwaukee school? Did you attend MSOE?