[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: watching diener on tv  (Read 4426 times)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
watching diener on tv
« on: December 14, 2006, 07:01:08 PM »
running the point for orlando versus charlotte.. orlando down 29-35 with 4:20 left in the 2nd.

game's on TNT.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

tower912

• All American
Re: watching diener on tv
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 07:23:53 PM »
2-11 last night shooting.   Keeping up the best traditions of MU shooters.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 08:21:21 PM »
How about tonight?  5-6 from the floor, 3-3 from the line and 3-4 from 3pt line for 16 pts, 3Reb, 3 assists and no turnovers in 26 minutes.  12 of his 16 points were in the fourth quarter.  Hopefully this sends a message that the kid can play and deserves more PT. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 08:40:39 PM by shaquilvaine »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 09:05:15 PM »
yeah I was impressed with his 4th quarter offense.. he was clearly the guy orlando was favoring for shooting.. especially since they were down by double digits and needed three's.

his defense left a bit to be desired.. he played with energy but got blown by quite a bit - actually, that's the case with the entire orlando team it seems...

oh well.. was great to see him play!  still looks like a kid though - doesn't thay automatically qualify him for another year of eligibility at MU?? ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 09:08:43 PM »
damn, i shoulda had TiVo going tonight!

4everwarriors

• All American
The Cat...
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 09:32:09 PM »
can still stroke it. A couple of his 3's were 2ft. behind the arc. I think he's proved he belongs and would be a welcome addition to the rotation for many teams. All he needs is a chance.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 01:40:21 AM »
I hope that Wade lobbies Riley to sign him at the end of the year as Travis is going to be an unrestricted free agent!  ;D
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 06:35:53 AM »
Now that was more like it.   Maybe TC should bring him in as a shooting coach.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 07:15:41 AM »
I was very encouraged that he was playing the 4th quarter over Arroyo.  That would be great if he was above Carlos in the depth chart once Jameer Nelson gets healthy.  Diener's showing that he deserves 20 min a night.

Wade for President

• All American
This is cool
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 09:08:47 AM »
LOVE IT!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=261214030

Get that kid in a Heat jersey!

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 10:38:26 AM »
Diener on the Heat would be nice, but not going to happen with GP, J Will, and Quinn on the roster. Although, I think GP is on a one year deal and will probably be gone next year. I don't know what will happen with JWill. They have gotten some nice minutes out of Quinn lately. Quinn is similar to Diener, but with a bit more size. Seems to be a bit more physical than Diener on both ends of the court.

I think every team would love to have a shooter like Diener. It's just that the rest of his game is not up to NBA standards. He just isn't physical enough in my mind. The NBA PG is a very physical position. I wish Diener the best, I think he will be stuck as a 3rd PG for a while. With a bit of luck and some work on deficient areas of his game, maybe a backup PG somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 11:24:48 AM by MilTown »

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 06:54:29 PM »
If the Heat don't win this year, GP and Williams will likely be gone (as well as about three other vets), opening the door for Travis. Thank God Murff inspired the dime-a-dozen point guard to turn his game around. He is a hell of a player and one of the gutsiest guys ever to wear anMU uniform.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 09:40:56 AM »
I agree that Diener was one of MU's best and one of the best college players in the country when he was here, but that does'nt mean he can play NBA ball. I hope he proves me wrong and gets to play significant minutes somewhere. I just don't think it's going to happen. I also can't see Riley going with an unproven back-up point guard to lead his team. Riley loves the veterans at the point. I think he will move Wade back to PG or bring back the point/forward (anthony mason), before going with an inexperienced PG. 

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »
From the Orlando Sentinel

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-mside1706dec17,0,6870065.story?coll=orl-magic

Diener gets in on action

Travis Diener scores 11 points for the banged-up Magic.

Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted December 17, 2006

In one week, Travis Diener has gone from watching on the bench in street clothes to the finishing point guard.

Fortunes can change quickly in the NBA.

The groin injury to Jameer Nelson, coupled with the recent struggles of Carlos Arroyo, has provided Diener with his long-awaited opportunity for the Orlando Magic. And he is making the most of it.

After hardly playing as a rookie last season and then spending much of the first six weeks this season on the inactive list waiting for a roster spot to open, Diener suddenly has emerged as a valuable asset.

"For the first time, I'm starting to get major minutes, and every game now, it's feeling better and better,'' Diener said. "I've always been confident that I can play at this level. It's just a matter of getting the chance.''

Diener had 11 points and a team-high four assists and one turnover in 29 minutes, including all 12 minutes in the decisive fourth quarter of an 81-74 victory against the Cleveland Cavaliers on Saturday night.

It was the second consecutive game that Diener -- and not Arroyo -- ran the Magic offense in the fourth quarter. In a loss to Charlotte on Thursday, Diener hit 5 of 6 shots (including 3 of 4 3-pointers) for 16 points in 29 minutes.

On Saturday, he made 4 of 6 shots and 2 of 4 from 3-point range. His long-range shooting ability already is gaining respect around the league.

"He was in a good flow out there,'' said Magic Coach Brian Hill, explaining his fourth-quarter lineup. "When he's out there, he improves the spacing and makes it harder for teams to double-team in the post. You can just see him getting more comfortable.''

Nelson, the team's starting point guard, has missed the past three games with the groin injury. He is questionable for Wednesday night's game against the New Orleans Hornets. If he doesn't return, Arroyo will remain the starter, but Diener likely will be the closer again.

Early this season, Arroyo was playing in reserve, but he was finishing games because he was playing better than Nelson. As the season progressed, though, Nelson was starting and finishing.

"Young guys just have to wait their turn,'' Diener said. "It's unfortunate that Jameer was hurt, but it gave me the chance. I've just tried to stay ready for when my name is called.''

Diener joined the Magic as a second-round draft pick from Marquette, considered a deadly long-distance shooter. He was Marquette's all-time leader in 3-pointers made (284) and third on its all-time scoring list (1,691 points), but many NBA teams considered him too small at 6 feet 1 to defend capably in the NBA.

Last season, he played in 23 games, averaging 10.7 minutes and 3.8 points.

"He deserves a lot of credit,'' Hill said. "He kept himself prepared, and now with the minutes he's getting, he's getting comfortable out there.''