[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Update on Taylor-MU  (Read 19863 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Update on Taylor-MU
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
What does Tayshawn want to do?

Whatever Bob Hurley tells him to do. At least that's what Bob seems to believe.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 03:29:01 PM »
Hurley, get off the phone with the press and get the guardians sigs. NOT THAT HARD

Agreed. Sounds like it is getting caught up on a technicality. Marquette is looking like the bad guy in all of this and the kid should have a chance to pursue other options. I hope that it is just the technicality and MU isn't playing hardball. The kid wanted to play for TC and TC is now gone. I don't think he should be "forced" to play for MU. I wouldn't stand for it at any other school and I won't stand for it at Marquette. I think we're better than that and it is just this technicality.
We Are Marquette

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »
I say jettison this kid and move on. The Juco teammate of Fulce's smells a lot better

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 03:33:09 PM »
Does Hurley really think MU has it out for TT?

Mr. Hurley, look how the situation with NW was handled. Follow the sam procedures, and your kid will also be released.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 03:33:47 PM »
Hurley, get off the phone with the press and get the guardians sigs. NOT THAT HARD

Agreed. Sounds like it is getting caught up on a technicality. Marquette is looking like the bad guy in all of this and the kid should have a chance to pursue other options. I hope that it is just the technicality and MU isn't playing hardball. The kid wanted to play for TC and TC is now gone. I don't think he should be "forced" to play for MU. I wouldn't stand for it at any other school and I won't stand for it at Marquette. I think we're better than that and it is just this technicality.

I think HURLEY wanted Taylor to play for TC - didn't Hurley contact TC to say he might have a gaurd that fit well in the Marquette's offense?

Also, this just reaffirms in my mind that Hurley is pulling the strings on this:

Quote from: Rosiak Article
With all the things going on we haven't eliminated Marquette, but we would like him to use his two other visits as we're going through this process, just to have a little more information for him."

if Taylor wanted to use the rest of his Official Visits, why didn't Hurley just say "he".  Isn't it Taylor's decision to make afterall?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:35:41 PM by lurch91 »

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 03:36:01 PM »

The kid wanted to play for TC and TC is now gone. I don't think he should be "forced" to play for MU. I wouldn't stand for it at any other school and I won't stand for it at Marquette. I think we're better than that and it is just this technicality.

As of right now, the only thing we've heard from Taylor is that Buzz was the coach that recruited him and that he likes Buzz.  Everything else we've heard was from Hurley.  Now you hope Hurley is representing the kid with Taylor's best intentions in mind but what he's saying doesn't add up.  As I posted earlier... this will all end as soon as Taylor comes out and says he wants out of his NLI.  Until that time, folks here will speculate about Hurley's intentions.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 03:37:27 PM »
For all we know TT wants to come Marquette & play.  The guardian ought to step in and put Hurley in his place.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 03:44:48 PM »
For all we know TT wants to come Marquette & play.  The guardian ought to step in and put Hurley in his place.

That would be the best for EVERYONE involved.  And Hurley's making himself out as a broker/agent and not a high school basketball coach.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 03:45:11 PM »
What a classless a** clown. I know we have a moratorium on name calling with respect to Hurley, but enough is enough.

unnatural carnal knowledge Hurley.  He's being a complete pretty boy. 

To be honest, I don't know where the moratorium came from.  I'll ask Hilltopper.  IMO, Hurley deserves to be criticized here.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 03:46:17 PM »
Prior to this, I've felt that Hurley was just watching out for TT and haven't faulted Hurley for that.  But now Hurley is pushing it too far.  He's crying about MU even though the release hasn't been sent in and only a few days after he met with Buzz.  Its not such a delay that Hurley should be bashing MU.

And, it sure seems as though Hurley wants TT to get out of the LOI b/c DJ is coming back.  The fact that Crean is gone is just a way to get of his committment.

Great job by Rosiak.  
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
Great job by Rosiak. 

Great point... props to Rosiak on the interview and article!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

chapman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
This Hurley guy is a class A jerk, plain and simple. Even if he has the kid's best interests in mind, he certainly is doing just about everything to sabotoge those interests.

His statements, as well as those of Taylor's, have changed from day to day and from week to week, as he attempts to further his agenda at MU's expense.

What a classless a** clown. I know we have a moratorium on name calling with respect to Hurley, but enough is enough.

Finally, I say that this guy's weak comparison to the St. Anthony's case is laughable and doesn't hold water. What a joke.

+1.  If Taylor really wants to go on a field trip to Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech he'd get his guardian to sign the permission slip to release him.  Last I checked Hurleyhaus isn't his legal guardian but sure enjoys talking to the media.  

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 03:51:36 PM »

frack Hurley.  He's being a complete pretty boy. 

To be honest, I don't know where the moratorium came from.  I'll ask Hilltopper.  IMO, Hurley deserves to be criticized here.

Dude...I still can't figure out what "pretty boy" is.

But yes, Hurley definitely is one...whatever it is.  As y'all said, great work by Rosiak. 

Hurley does have a point though, with Williams, I think.  Anyone care to drop knowledge?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2008, 03:52:38 PM »
"if this was St. Anthony's High School, and a young man's family came to me and told me that they were unhappy and would I sign our state waiver so that they would be eligible to play someplace else, if I'd done the best I could coaching and it wasn't working, I would sign it and they'd be gone and I'd wish them the best of luck."

Maybe that's the problem you prick.  The young man's family hasn't come to MU and asked for a release.  His HS coach has.  Get a f'in clue.

Ahh...I know Hurley won't read this.  But I feel better now  ;D

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »
Dude...I still can't figure out what "pretty boy" is.

LOL.  Here's a clue -- it starts with ass and ends with hole.

Hurley does have a point though, with Williams, I think.  Anyone care to drop knowledge?

You mean with Nick Williams?  Or what point are you talking about?

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor is content to let Hurley handle the situation - I can't imagine having to deal with all of this at the end of the school year after having a school all lined up and committed.

However, asking the signees of the LOI request to be released is pretty reasonable as red tape goes, and I can't understand Hurley characterizing it as Taylor being "held hostage".  Getting upset and taking the fight to the media doesn't help Taylor any more than it does MU - whether it benefits Hurley is a different question.

edit: would =/= wouldn't
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:21:22 PM by dsfire »

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »
I wish Buzz could talk to TT & the Guardian without Hurley anywhere near just to hear in their own words how they feel.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »
James is back. But Williams is out. So, what's the big deal?

As much as I defended Hurley for standing up for the kids' best interest - and I think he still is - he's really coming off as a pompous arse in this. I didn't realize the situation with Taylor and his guardian having to request the release.

We need to hear less of Hurley and more from his player and guardian and go from there.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »
You mean with Nick Williams?  Or what point are you talking about?

Ohhh...I'm slow, haha.

And yes, Nick Williams.  Hurley was talking about how MU released Nick (sorry, forgot we have like 3 Williams' to think about in relation to MU) from his LOI...was it because maybe Nick's family went ahead and asked, unlike Coach Pretty Boy?

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »
I wish Buzz could talk to TT & the Guardian without Hurley anywhere near just to hear in their own words how they feel.

Maybe that's the vibe Buzz got from Taylor when they had their one-on-one meeting. Buzz may have heard some things that make him feel like MU is still an option for Taylor and he's told admin to play hardball a bit with Hurley until Taylor truly makes up his mind.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2008, 04:23:17 PM »
Maybe Hurley doesn't have enough coaching experience to know how to fill out this form:

http://www.national-letter.org/documents/ReleaseRequest.pdf

Either that, or pehaps he doesn't quite understand the difference between "HS coach" and "Parent or Legal Guardian."

What I don't get is why St. Anthony's AD feels that he can misrepresent himself as the Parernt or Legal Guardian if he's not.   According to the article, both MU and St. Anthony's said the request came from the AD.

This form is pretty clear--it requres the signature of both the student and the parent or legal guardian.  The HS has nothing to do with the request.

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Bob Hurley takes a few more swings at MU
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2008, 04:30:04 PM »
Bob Hurley takes a few more swings at MU

Written by: NY Warrior

.....even though NCAA regulations prohibit Marquette from granting a release to Tyshawn Taylor just because his high school coach says he wants one.

Oustanding work by Todd Rosiak......this is quite a soap opera.

"It's a stall, there's no doubt about it," he said. "If they say otherwise...if this was St. Anthony's High School, and a young man's family came to me and told me that they were unhappy and would I sign our state waiver so that they would be eligible to play someplace else, if I'd done the best I could coaching and it wasn't working, I would sign it and they'd be gone and I'd wish them the best of luck.
Of course, if the "young man's family" made the request we would not have to put up with a grandstanding high school coach.  Thankfully, MU's Mike Broeker correctly addresses the crux of the matter:
"Our obligation is to the student-athlete," said deputy athletic director Mike Broeker. "And up to this point, neither Tyshawn nor his family has informed us of his decision."
Talk about it here at MUScoop.

TREVOR MBAKWE UPDATE
Charley Waters from TwinCities.com reports that Trevor Mbakwe will stay at Marquette:
Former St. Bernard's and Henry Sibley basketball star Trevor Mbakwe, who considered transferring from Marquette after his freshman season this year, has decided to remain with the team. The Gophers were expected to pursue the 6-foot-8 forward if he had made himself available.
There's been no official confirmation from MU regarding Mbakwe.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2008/04/bob-hurley-takes-few-more-swings-at-mu.html

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:04 PM »
I think Hurley is making a statement about the NLI.  I think this is something that has bothered him for a long time and he has been vocal about it, but no one cared.  Now he has a top 100 recruit and a top conference school in this situation and he is milking it until he raises some eyebrows that he could not get to review the situation without Taylor or Marquette in the picture. 

The current Marquette athletic department made it clear that it is willing to unconditionally release players, see Nick Williams, if asked with the proper authorization.  I am 100% sure that Taylor gets released immediately if his guardians request it.  Hurley is using the soap box as long as it is sitting outside his house, nothing more to the situation.

groove

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor is content to let Hurley handle the situation - I can't imagine having to deal with all of this at the end of the school year after having a school all lined up and committed.

However, asking the signees of the LOI request to be released is pretty reasonable as red tape goes, and I can't understand Hurley characterizing it as Taylor being "held hostage".  Getting upset and taking the fight to the media doesn't help Taylor any more than it does MU - whether it benefits Hurley is a different question.

edit: would =/= wouldn't

that's the point. He can't let Hurley handle the whole situation. The student and parents/guardians must sign the release form. Hurley has nothing to do with filling out the form.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »
that's the point. He can't let Hurley handle the whole situation. The student and parents/guardians must sign the release form. Hurley has nothing to do with filling out the form.
I agree with that; I'm just saying that lack of public comment by Taylor probably doesn't mean much.

feedback