[Today at 05:26:50 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Game Thoughts  (Read 5808 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Game Thoughts
« on: December 16, 2006, 08:29:50 PM »
1) As much as I've been down on him lately, Dominic came to play today. Most intensity I've seen from him this year, and was able to run the offense well. The key stat for him is assists, his best games come when he racks up 6 or more, because that's usually a good indicator of him playing within the flow of the game, which he did today.

2) Good to see Fitz play through some adversity (3 terrible calls) to contribute. He actually took some contested threes, and knocked down 2-3 from deep. It almost makes me think he might be better served as a 6th man, he seemed to come in and play a bit more relaxed. Which brings me to #3...

3) Hayward needs to start. 13 and 7, with 6 offensive rebounds. Very strong inside and a good finisher. Only three attempt rattled out, but overall a solid game. Tip dunk was vicious. His continued development will help this team out a lot in conference play.

4) I'll be interested to see how things go Tuesday. UMBC treated this like an exhibition game, only played 6 guys and their coach let them continue during most of MU's spurts without using a timeout. Oakland is solid, and is familiar with us, it would be nice to see MU come out and keep the intenstiy up for 40 minutes.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Re: Game Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:04:46 PM »
3) Hayward needs to start. 13 and 7, with 6 offensive rebounds. Very strong inside and a good finisher. Only three attempt rattled out, but overall a solid game. Tip dunk was vicious. His continued development will help this team out a lot in conference play.

I agree... I've been impressed with Hayward over the passed two games and Lott has become an overthought and Fitz is still low in my book.  I'd like to see Hayward get the nod.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 09:16:15 PM »
well, Fitz hit 2 of 3 attempts from deep tonight (key for a team that stinks in that department) to get him to 8 points along with four steals, six boards and a 1-1 A/TO ratio.

a VERY productive 18 minutes for Fitz. 

Hayward clearly is improving -- but Fitz is finding has game as well....he needs more shots
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 09:22:42 PM by NYWarrior »

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:22:50 PM »
umbc only played 6 guys because their top 2 players (not sure if that is based on scoring) didn't play.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
we cant take anything away from this game as UMBC was shorthanded and they do not play at our level.  However, we should remind ourselves that we are 4 baskets away from being undefeated and our team is still playing way below their potential.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

bean

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:35:55 PM »
In the last two games (Wisconsin & UMBC), Fitz got into foul trouble early.  This affected his game play in the first half as he had to be taken out prior to getting a third foul called against him.

I'd like to see what he can do when he can play more successive minutes without having to play less aggressive.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 08:08:23 AM »
1) As much as I've been down on him lately, Dominic came to play today. Most intensity I've seen from him this year, and was able to run the offense well. The key stat for him is assists, his best games come when he racks up 6 or more, because that's usually a good indicator of him playing within the flow of the game, which he did today.

I liked the fact that he was actually bringing the ball up, instead of "running the point from the wing" as Crean explained it in games past.  I agree about the assists. Our starting, all-american point guard cannot be turning in 1 assist per game.

I am on the fence as to who I would like to have starting at the 4.  Yesterday gives me confidence that Fitz can be our long range threat, something that we desperately need. However, 2 fouls in 1:15 will not be OK, regardless of how ticky tacky the calls may be and we all know Fitz has been known to get some fouls called on him. At the same time, Lazar has been strong in the paint, and is very solid scoring inside of 10 feet. Anyone else notice his intensity every time he scores, I like to see that in a freshman. I just want Lazar to start hitting some 3s, when/if he does that, then I think hes ready to be the starter.  Before every game so far, I've been saying to myself "ok, this is the game where Haywards going to go off for like 18-20 with 4 3pters."  Hopefully we will see some progress in these next 3 games.

MU71

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 07:26:19 AM »
When DJ plays a legit point he puts up numbers and the team plays better offensively.  It doesn't seem to be that big a mystery to anyone except TC who thinks one of the best points in the country should be playing the wing and running the baseline.

feedback