[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: Brawl in New York  (Read 2418 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
OT: Brawl in New York
« on: December 17, 2006, 10:34:31 PM »
I am sure all of you have seen it, the fight between the Knicks and the Nuggets (if you don't know what I am talking about, just watch Sportscenter or look it up on YouTube, well worth a watch).  Just want to get a bunch of basketball nuts like myself opinions on the matter.  Like who was at fault and what the NBA should do with it.

Now I am not a big NBA fan, in fact I think it sucks, however, things like these always catch my attention.  I thought it was weird today I was listening to a sports writer talk about it, and said Melo would only get a 7 game suspension.  I don't know if him and I saw the same thing, but the fight was over, and Melo punched the guy stright in the face.  If I was David Stern(which Im glad I am not), he would be suspended for more than 7 games, more like 15.  Nate Robinson would get 15, because for being 5'8"(or whatever he is), he was out of control.  Collins would get a few, JR Smith would get a few.  The whole situation with Isiah Thomas, saying that Melo shouldnt go to the lane because he will be fouled hard, the league I hope does something with that, this really isn't needed in the game, I am glad to see their is passion still in the NBA(because for a while I thought it was gone), however this looks so bad on everyone involved, especailly the NBA, your leading scorer and a "model" citizen is throwing punches and made it look like a street battle.  However, it did make for good TV
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Eye

• All American
Re: OT: Brawl in New York
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 10:42:10 PM »
My initial thought on Anthony was the least he'll get is 10, and the most he'll get is 20, so 15 sounds fair.
How Thomas is still employed may be the greatest mystery in sports short of how Matt Millen is still employed?
GO WARRIORS!

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 11:01:04 PM »
The only problem with suspending Anthony for 15 is that is basketball 15 games is 18% of the season which is a little ridiculous. That would be the equivalent of suspending a baseball player for about 30 games which I think most of us would agree would be a little ridiculous. 7 games works out to about 8% of the season or a 15 game baseball suspension which seems more fair. The only reason i relate this to baseball is it seems that baseball has more brawls and well known punishments. While i think what Anthony did is disgraceful, i dont think it merits a suspension of 18% of the season. A 7 game suspension is going to cost him about 1.4 million dollars anyways.... that should get through to him.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 11:05:42 PM »
the fight was over... everyone was almost calm, and he threw a sucker punch, and connected.... 18% of the games, Im sorry, but I could see it being more than that percentage, what he did we don't need to see.... give him 7 games, teaches Melo and the rest of the NBA nothing.  The other reason why I think it is dumb that he is only getting 7, or what the sports writer said... is because it is Melo, and he is doing so well, they won't punish him as much as if it was some bum on the team that did this.  I understand why they do this, but it lets the stars get away with more, and that happens in every sport, and I think it should stop
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 11:12:35 PM »
If that is the only reason they give him 7 games then I would agree that he would deserve more. But looking at it from a buisness perspective I would agree with the 7.  He deffinetly needs to be the most severly punished though.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 08:10:43 AM »
My initial thought was hey, great, another reason why you shouldn't take your family/kids to an NBA game.

You want basketball?  Take 'em to a NCAA game.  Can't get much more family friendly and bang for your buck.

feedback