* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by wadesworld
[Today at 08:56:16 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[Today at 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Spring Signing Session - Who's the best of the rest?  (Read 5907 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Spring Signing Session - Who's the best of the rest?
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:12:17 PM »
With the Spring signing session coming up, who's still available for MU at all levels (h.s. and juco)?

I envision a juco signing other than those who have already committed.
SS Marquette

nyg

• All American
Re: Spring Signing Session - Who's the best of the rest?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »
Only two I can think of from 2008 class are 6-10 center Frank Ben-Eze and 6-11 center Maurice Sutton.  Ben-Eze had a horrendous senior season in the DC Catholic league and was not even invited to the local Capital Classic at the University of Maryland this Sunday.  Maurice Sutton blew up his senior year in the very competitive Prince Georges County, Maryland League and is playing this Sunday.  Since he had such an awesome season, some major schools are now interested. Do not know if MU staff is still after Sutton.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:57:15 PM »
Only two I can think of from 2008 class are 6-10 center Frank Ben-Eze and 6-11 center Maurice Sutton.  Ben-Eze had a horrendous senior season in the DC Catholic league and was not even invited to the local Capital Classic at the University of Maryland this Sunday.  Maurice Sutton blew up his senior year in the very competitive Prince Georges County, Maryland League and is playing this Sunday.  Since he had such an awesome season, some major schools are now interested. Do not know if MU staff is still after Sutton.

Yup. That's why I think a juco signing is in store.

Plus, have you seen the 2009 recruiting list? It's HUUUUUUGE!

SS Marquette

bma725

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:21:08 AM »
If you're not limiting it to guys MU was previously involved with, there's still quite a few top level guys out there.  Though some have definite red flags.  Just looking at the top 100 players using Scouts list:

#4.  Tyreke Evans(SG).  A McDonalds AA that still has not chosen a school.  Louisville and Memphis are involved, kids got talent but lots of baggage.
#13. Devin Ebanks(SF).  Originally committed to Indiana under Sampson but got his release and doesn't seem to want to play for Crean.
#33. Bud Mackey(PG).  Committed to Indiana but released when he was arrested on major drug trafficking charges.  Obviously not in play.
#56. Wesley Witherspoon(SF).  Not really looking to leave the south, not sure why he hasn't gone somewhere yet.
#64. Rashanti Harris(C).  Another kid that has eliminated all the northern schools.
#86. Paul McCoy(PG).  Originally committed to Pepperdine and was released when their coach resigned.  Still wide open with more schools coming into play.
#95. Brad Tinsley(SG).  Another Pepperdine commit that got his release.  MU was actually involved soon after he was released, but was eliminated and he is now down to Vandy, Butler, USC, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Arizona State and Oregon.

There's also John Riek, who is a top 10 talent but Scout considers him a Prep School guy and pulled him from their list.  He's originally from the Sudan and may end up being old enough to test the draft waters, so he's out as well.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 10:09:37 AM »
nyg, Ben-Eze had an injury-marred senior season capped by tearing up his knee late in the season.  Still quite a prospect.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »
Did not realize Ben-Eze was hurt. Thanks.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 03:29:39 PM »
A name a good friend of mine on the other board keeps dropping in my ear is J'Mison Morgan, a 6'11" C out of Dallas who's ranked #39 overall/#6 C by Scout.  He's currently committed to LSU but may ask Trent Johnson for his release next week.  Unfortunately UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, and Alabama have also been looking at him too, and would not be surprised at all if he gets his release, he ends up at UCLA with Love more than likely ending up in the draft.

However, perhaps Buzz could pull a rabbit out of his hat and bring him out of Texas for us.  He may be good enough to push us into a Final Four run, giving our returning talent as it is. 
The General has taken on a new command.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:08:52 PM »
Who's this Mirkovic kid? 6'11 Euro guy, I haven't heard anything about him, really. Looks like he's big on 'Ville, though.

http://marquette.scout.com/a.z?s=415&p=8&c=1&nid=3351710

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 12:14:57 PM »
Who's this Mirkovic kid? 6'11 Euro guy, I haven't heard anything about him, really. Looks like he's big on 'Ville, though.

http://marquette.scout.com/a.z?s=415&p=8&c=1&nid=3351710

Originally a DePaul commit, but backed out and didn't sign.  For awhile he was supposedly down to 3 schools, Louisville, MU and DePaul, but now Northwestern has crept back in.  He was supposed to visit MU on Selection Sunday, but he backed out at the last minute.  MU is still in play, he had this to say about Buzz:

"“I’m kind of disappointed about (Tom) Crean leaving but that’s just the way it is,” Mirkovic said. “Buzz Williams, their former assistant, is now the head coach. I love Coach Williams, so it’s fine.”"

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 03:00:29 AM »
No matter who, it would be nice to get another big guy.  I haven't heard much about Mirkovic, but anyone who is 6'11 could have an impact for MU.  I wouldn't mind getting Ben-Eze, despite his poor senior season.  Any other bigs we might be able to sign?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 06:43:05 PM »
Ben-Eze tore his ACL on 2/25/08 and will undergo surgery on May 8th.  He is visiting Davidson this weekend and Georgia Tech next weekend.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »
Any idea what is going on with Edgar Garibay?  I see he hasn't signed and MU is a possible destination. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 10:43:58 PM »
Steve Goins, a 6-foot-10, 235 center out of Chicago Curie wasn't very highly rated in the fall, but could be a decent late-bloomer type for MU. He has good size, but isn't much of an athlete. Right now it looks like he may be headed to South Florida. The risk would be that he never pans out to be a Big East player.

Here's a little blurb on him from the St. Pete Times:

Hoops recruiting: Goins sets up USF visit
Making a lot of basketball recruiting calls, and had meant to get this up yesterday, but there's encouraging developments for USF in the recruitment of 6-foot-10 center Steve Goins from Chicago's Curie High.

The biggest news is that Curie has lined up an official visit to Tampa -- the only one he's made with a top-level program -- and will come to Tampa with his mother the weekend of March 8. He's also likely to visit Connecticut, and the only program he's previously visited is hometown Illinois-Chicago. Another indication of Goins' interest in USF is that he, his mother and Curie assistant Larry Wallace attended USF's road game at DePaul two weeks ago and met briefly with coaches after the game.

Not convinced Goins is a Big East player? Wallace said Goins showed a lot Saturday, when Curie went up against Chicago Farragut (where Kevin Garnett played) in the city playoffs and Goins held his own against 6-foot-9 Michael Dunigan, an Oregon signee who is a five-star recruit according to Scout.com, a McDonald's All-American rated as the No. 3 center nationally in this class. Goins finished with eight points and nine rebounds; Dunigan had 14 and seven as Farragut posted a 20-point win.

One more Goins note: he's a high school teammate of 6-foot-5 forward Wayne Blackshear, considered one of the top prep freshmen in the country. Curie opens the state playoffs tonight .

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/02/comings-and-goi.html

DAtruth

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 07:49:16 AM »
with all of the coaching changes and unhappy kids these days ...id say there is a good chance we might get more tranfers than  juco or h.s. signees...as long as we are bringing in experience and not attitudes, i like the idea of transfers.. no iu tranfers though!!!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »
Steve Goins, a 6-foot-10, 235 center out of Chicago Curie wasn't very highly rated in the fall, but could be a decent late-bloomer type for MU. He has good size, but isn't much of an athlete. Right now it looks like he may be headed to South Florida. The risk would be that he never pans out to be a Big East player.

Here's a little blurb on him from the St. Pete Times:

Hoops recruiting: Goins sets up USF visit
Making a lot of basketball recruiting calls, and had meant to get this up yesterday, but there's encouraging developments for USF in the recruitment of 6-foot-10 center Steve Goins from Chicago's Curie High.

The biggest news is that Curie has lined up an official visit to Tampa -- the only one he's made with a top-level program -- and will come to Tampa with his mother the weekend of March 8. He's also likely to visit Connecticut, and the only program he's previously visited is hometown Illinois-Chicago. Another indication of Goins' interest in USF is that he, his mother and Curie assistant Larry Wallace attended USF's road game at DePaul two weeks ago and met briefly with coaches after the game.

Not convinced Goins is a Big East player? Wallace said Goins showed a lot Saturday, when Curie went up against Chicago Farragut (where Kevin Garnett played) in the city playoffs and Goins held his own against 6-foot-9 Michael Dunigan, an Oregon signee who is a five-star recruit according to Scout.com, a McDonald's All-American rated as the No. 3 center nationally in this class. Goins finished with eight points and nine rebounds; Dunigan had 14 and seven as Farragut posted a 20-point win.

One more Goins note: he's a high school teammate of 6-foot-5 forward Wayne Blackshear, considered one of the top prep freshmen in the country. Curie opens the state playoffs tonight .

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/02/comings-and-goi.html

Ladies and Gentleman, I give you Greg Clausen part two.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 08:49:16 AM »
I really hope we don't panic and sign someone who's not really supposed to be at this level just to get a body on the team.  These decisions have a 4-year impact.  Rushing to sign the next Chris Grimm (loved his heart, but let's be honest...) just because he's 6' 10" is not going to help anything and could possibly hurt down the line when we have needs and no scholarships available.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
I really hope we don't panic and sign someone who's not really supposed to be at this level just to get a body on the team.  These decisions have a 4-year impact.  Rushing to sign the next Chris Grimm (loved his heart, but let's be honest...) just because he's 6' 10" is not going to help anything and could possibly hurt down the line when we have needs and no scholarships available.

Chris Grimm was a four-star recruit...

TJ

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 09:18:07 AM »
Chris Grimm was a four-star recruit...
Ok, bad example.  Very sorry.  You understand the general idea I was going for though, right?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 09:19:03 AM »
that's why i said Greg Clausen.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 03:00:32 PM »

Who competed as a starter for an NBDL team.
SS Marquette

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 03:18:12 PM »

he sucked, get over it.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »

he sucked, get over it.
The NBDL is no good, if he was good enough to compete there why wasn't he a better college player overall.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 03:25:48 PM »

long live the pickle!
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »
Anaheim has not been the same since he was traded.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 03:39:29 PM »
Chris "moving screen" Grimm, aka "the reaper", aka "the great white hope", aka "the 5 minute foul out" was a 4 star recruit??? 

Wow, I have fully lost interest in all recruiting sites.