[June 11, 2024, 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[June 11, 2024, 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Big East good for MU?  (Read 5653 times)

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
Re: Is Big East good for MU?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2008, 08:59:04 AM »
Maybe we could join the Horizon league and run the table like Memphis, then we could plany UWGB and UWM twice a year and play in the Cell
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »
To answer your questions:  no and no.

jce

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 12:32:44 PM »
I agree - the BE is the best thing that could happen to MU.  C-USA just never seemed to take off, even with some pretty good teams (L'ville, Cincy, Memphis, MU).  I can't understand why Memphis stayed in CUSA.....would have been better than bringing along S. Florida.  BE gives MU much more visibility and credibility with the players.  Unfortunately - not so much with attracting a quality head coach.

Memphis never had a chance to go to the BE.  The BE selected South Florida for football potential, which has been playing out the past couple of years.

jayhawker1

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »
"who is this pud..."

Someone whose kids go to MU, started following the basketball program, contribute financially to the school beyond tuition.  Looked like I ticked some people off and didn't mean to.  I didn't realize there was so much loyalty to the Big East after three years.  The points about finances and being a part of a conference with high exposure are good ones.  MU's a great school with great basketball tradition and I hope it continues.

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
Jayhawker, I know being a new MU fan doens't make you privy to all the history MArquette has to offer. I myself went to Marquette out of ACC country and see things (or used to) in the same light that you once did. The Big East is Large hand has an already established fan base that make it better then an upstart conference. MU has a large endowment and a good academic reputaiton like many of ther other BIg east schools. It would not make sense for themt o leave to create a new conference when that conference can't even get an Automatic bid for the first few year. They would also be taking money out of their pockets by no longer staying tied in with lucrative TV markets in Washignton DC Philadelphia and NEw York. However if in the future, if the 8 Big east Football schools decide that they no longer want to share with the basketball only schools the only Logical seperation of the conference would more likely end up in this way THe League would cut itself in Half with the football schools lookign to add 4 more teams (Most Likely Candidates listed below To get the minimum teams for a conference Championship game and 2 being added to the Basketball schools so they can play a10 team round robin (similar to MVC)
Big East
Pittsburgh
West Virginia
South Florida
Louisville
Cincinnati
Syracuse
Rutgers
UConn
East Carolina (New)
UCF (New)
Army (Football Only)
Navy (Football Only)
"Catholic" Conference
Marquette
DePaul
Notre Dame (Except Football)
Georgetown
Villanova
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John's
Xavier (New)
Dayton (New)

Of course the footballs choosl woudl pray that Notre Dame adopts the conference and joins it instead but that seems to be higly Unlikely. At least this is how one man sees it. I think some of the football Schools are a stretch.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »
I like being able to watch mu games on tv, i guess new fans don't know what it was like when they were never on.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »
It's kind of like the question, "Would you rather win the NIT or go to the NCAA tourney and lose in the first round?" My answer is always that I'd rather play with the big boys, win or lose. I'd rather be in the Big East playing against the best competition that settling for easier competition.
We Are Marquette

MUPig

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 11:58:51 AM »
Big East is one of the top 3 conferences in the countries with the ACC and SEC.  Big 10, Pac10 and Big 12 will argue with that, but year to year produces top team.  There is no reason you would want to move out of this conference with the exposure it receives.  Conference foes help boost your SOS - even if you play the likes of Prairie View A&M, Savannah State and Coppin State in your Non-Conference.  Will send 6-8 teams to the tourney every year.  Huge exposure on TV - which is what the top recruits are looking for.  To leave this conference would be a travesty.  You have to be in a conference like this in order to legitimize your program - assuming you can be competitive.  If your gonna run with the big dogs, you've gotta pee in the big trees.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »
Of these "crap" schools, didn't the coaches at Dayton, SLU and Xavier all reject the Marquette job?  Do you think that the Big East had something to do with Crean leaving and something to do with the hiring of an assistant coach?

I'm pretty sure that Gregory/Dayton and Majerus/SLU both said they weren't interested in the MU job in response to inquiries from the media, which was baseless speculation. MU wasn't interested in either of those guys.

I'm guessing that Crean concluded he had a better chance of restoring Indiana to its previous glory and winning the average-at best Big Ten than he had of restoring MU to its previous glory, which is what it will take to win the Big East. And it appears we settled for an assistant coach because no experienced, already successful head coach wanted the challenge of trying to advance MU to the next level in the brutal BE conference.

If that's true, then that's why those coaches will always be mediocre.

The best coaches in the country are in the Big East. *pauses when Buzz comes to mind*

In all honesty I don't think the Big East really wanted Memphis as much as USF.  USF brought the BE into Florida and they have a much better football program which is something the conference was in desperate need of when they realigned.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 04:26:35 PM »
It's not just the TV money, but by playing a great conference schedule, we're selling waaaaaaayy more tickets during the conference season.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

feedback