[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: what do we know about Jimmy Butler?  (Read 17618 times)

TVDirector

• All American
what do we know about Jimmy Butler?
« on: April 11, 2008, 08:32:35 AM »
starting to hear (from other boards, etc.) that's he coming to MU.
anyone have a profile?
 ?-(
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 01:50:09 PM by rocky_warrior »

🏀

• All American
Re: what do we know about Butler?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:39:56 AM »
Little more details on 'Butler'?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:42:46 AM »
Not much info out there on him because he's a JUCO, but he's a good player.  6'5, somewhat skinny.  Truly a combo guard, he's probably more natural as a 2, but has good court vision and can play the 1 as well.  Good shot from the perimeter, can score in bunches.  Was Tyler's leading scorer this year and just had some absurd games.  NJCAA All American Honorable Mention.

No academic issues, full qualifier out of high school, wanted to go to Mississippi State but they ran out of scholarships and he chose to go the JUCO route rather than signing with a low D1 school or going to a Prep School.  Currently has offers from Kentucky, Clemson, Mississippi State and Iowa State.  He's already made visits to Mississippi State and Iowa State.  Not sure about Clemson and Kentucky.  Would have 3 years of college ball left.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20080209/SPORTS06/385823584

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:50:18 AM »
If he wanted to go to Mississippi State, anyone know if he's related to Jackie Butler? Jackie was committed to the Bulldogs a few years ago and jumped to the NBA before the league put the age allowance rule in place. I wonder if they're from the same family or just a coincidence that they both have the JB initials and wanted to play for Stansbury.

As for others, isn't Vanderbeeken the guy we really want. 6'8'' big who can roam outside? Nice to pick up players but we have a lot of 2 guards and wings.

If Hazel and Mbakwe stay and Taylor accepts, then we are finished with recruiting. Do people feel good about a class that includes 6'3'', 6'5'', 6'7'', and 6'10''? We'd really need Mbakwe to step in and develop a post game.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
If there is a chance to get Martin from Purdue I put my effort there.  He was a top 10 out of HS wing last year.

There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:56:26 AM »
If there is a chance to get Martin from Purdue I put my effort there.  He was a top 10 out of HS wing last year.

Almost no chance at Martin.  He wants to go to a school where he would be the star and the focal point of the offense.  That's not going to happen at MU.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 09:06:49 AM »
As for others, isn't Vanderbeeken the guy we really want. 6'8'' big who can roam outside? Nice to pick up players but we have a lot of 2 guards and wings.

If Hazel and Mbakwe stay and Taylor accepts, then we are finished with recruiting. Do people feel good about a class that includes 6'3'', 6'5'', 6'7'', and 6'10''? We'd really need Mbakwe to step in and develop a post game.

Vanderbeeken would be a nice get, but I don't know that his skill set really would fit with the other players on the team.  He's not really a true 5, he's a 4 that just happens to be 6'11.  He's not particularly quick or strong defensively, he's not athletic.  He's not a back to the basket guy, he's a mid range jumper and occasional 3 pointer guy....actually he's a lot like Mike Kinsella, without the injury history.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't know how that fits in with a team that wants to run.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
did cracked sidewalks pull their announcement?
not on the board anymore

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 09:38:37 AM »
Jimmy likes "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air," Tracy McGrady and Jesus Shuttlesworth.

http://www.apacheathletics.com/roster/3/4/976.php

groove

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 09:50:47 AM »
Jimmy likes "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air," Tracy McGrady and Jesus Shuttlesworth.

George: "what was his name again?"

Jerry: "Jimmy"

George: "Jimmy, right."

Jerry: "I dunno how you could forget . He kept reffering to himself in the third person.

"Jimmy's under the boards. Jimmy's in the open. Jimmy makes the shot."

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 09:54:22 AM »

George: "what was his name again?"

Jerry: "Jimmy"

George: "Jimmy, right."

Jerry: "I dunno how you could forget . He kept reffering to himself in the third person.

"Jimmy's under the boards. Jimmy's in the open. Jimmy makes the shot."

Jimmy's down!

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 10:10:37 AM »
great...
another Chuckie.

Chuckie doesn't do that.....

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »

Uh...with Christopherson leaving we have 1 more scholarship to give.

I'll try to keep the scholarship table updated - but with things changing so fast, don't be surprised if it falls behind...
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 10:39:43 AM »
SR:  James, McNeal, Matthews, Burke
JR:  Hayward, Cubillan, Acker
SO:  Fulce, Mbakwe, Hazel, Butler*
FR:  O'Tule, Taylor*

That's the limit of 13 if both Butler and Taylor decide on MU.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:43:39 AM by oldwarrior81 »

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 10:54:34 AM »

Vanderbeeken would be a nice get, but I don't know that his skill set really would fit with the other players on the team.  He's not really a true 5, he's a 4 that just happens to be 6'11.  He's not particularly quick or strong defensively, he's not athletic.  He's not a back to the basket guy, he's a mid range jumper and occasional 3 pointer guy....actually he's a lot like Mike Kinsella, without the injury history.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I don't know how that fits in with a team that wants to run.

Have you seen Vanderbeken play?  I have.  He is VERY athletic for a 6'11" post.  He's also more skilled than Kinsella.  Not a bruiser by any stretch, but your comments make me believe you haven't seen him play.  Vanderbeken's visiting UCONN right now, if that tells you anything.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »

Have you seen Vanderbeken play?  I have.  He is VERY athletic for a 6'11" post.  He's also more skilled than Kinsella.  Not a bruiser by any stretch, but your comments make me believe you haven't seen him play.  Vanderbeken's visiting UCONN right now, if that tells you anything.

I've seen clips, not whole games.  From what I saw, he didn't look fast or particularly athletic at all.  He wasn't a slow footed stumblebum, but I don't think he'd be getting up and down the court like say Barro used to.

And I'm not saying skill level is comparable to Kinsella just style of game.  Both are guys with post player bodies that are more comfortable facing the basket.  They aren't necessarily the kind of guys you dump it to in the post, they would be more likely to shoot a 12 footer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 11:37:54 AM »
not on the board anymore

It is not official yet on Butler.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 11:41:13 AM »
not on the board anymore

It is not official yet on Butler.

yup, bad call.......pulled it back quickly. 

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »
What is not official?  Could someone summarize what is going on?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »
If it does happen, perhaps we should now call Tyler JuCo the MU Developmental League.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 12:11:33 PM by Sir Lawrence »
Ludum habemus.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 12:29:19 PM »

He hasn't committed anywhere yet.  He is visiting another school this weekend, a school I believe he originally verballed to.  So no commitment yet.

MUFanInGreenBay

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 12:34:43 PM »
Blame this all on Tom Crean. It's his fault.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 12:40:01 PM »

He hasn't committed anywhere yet.  He is visiting another school this weekend, a school I believe he originally verballed to.  So no commitment yet.

When did we become interested in him or vice versa?  Seems like this came out of the blue to me.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »

He hasn't committed anywhere yet.  He is visiting another school this weekend, a school I believe he originally verballed to.  So no commitment yet.

When did we become interested in him or vice versa?  Seems like this came out of the blue to me.

Butler plays for Tyler JUCO team.  Buzz used to coach there.  Buzz's good friend, Scott Monarch is the assistant coach there and has been mentioned as a possible assistant on the Marquette staff.  Fulce also plays for Tyler and is already committed to playing at Marquette.  So that's basically the 6 degrees of Butler, Tyler, Williams, Monarch

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »
Chico, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

feedback