Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tom Crean contact IU 1st?  (Read 5203 times)

THEGYMBAR

Tom Crean contact IU 1st?
« on: April 09, 2008, 08:19:12 AM »
Crazy rumor---A friend of mine from Indiana called me last night and said Crean contacted IU and not IU contacting him first. While my friend is knowledgable ball fan, he is not in the inside at IU.

Had anyone else heard this rumor? My IU buddy also mentioned Crean took some heat from fans or alumni after Stanford loss. Can anyone confirm or shoot holes in this?

Again, my contact is solid but not insider.

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
Re: Tom Crean contact IU 1st?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 08:22:13 AM »
Without any firsthand knowledge or insider info, I think it is widely assumed by most over here that Crean contacted IU first. I'm pretty sure that Marquette was never asked for permission to speak with Crean either.

ps...sorry for being a d$ck to you before, but I'm glad that you've let go of some of the negativity. I hope you haven't given up those seats yet.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:25:36 AM »
MU--thanks for apology. Time to move on. My source was very certain on Crean contacting IU, but who knows. I was curious if anyone else had heard that.

In my opinion, TC knew winning in BE is extremely tough. If the best he could do was 6th this year what is he going to do in two years? BE has better teams and coaches than BT and TC knows that.

It would not shock me if he contacted them first. He never gave MU chance to keep him. Every other departing coach gives home school a shot, even just to look good.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:27:15 AM »
I don't have any inside info, but reading between the lines of what TC has said over the last week, I am completely convinced that TC initiated the contact with Indiana.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
our old coach met with Greenspan in Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 08:28:51 AM »
so, I am pretty sure he went looking for Greenspan.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 08:30:17 AM »
if you saw the interview done outside the Hilton in Indy the night before the IU presser announcing Crean's hiring, the reporter remarked to Crean directly that the word was that Crean was so interested in the IU job that he had initiated the contact, and Crean stumbled visibly over the answer.  From that point forward I think it was clear that Crean got word to IU that he was interested and that he initiated contact.  

What I want to know is if he was so interested, while the job had been open for weeks, what precipitated his now contacting IU or it's back channel representatives?  My guess, Izzo had a hand in all of this.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 08:31:34 AM »
Not to beat a dead horse, but why would MU listen to him a new hire? He used Rivers as mouthpiece and MU followed along.

At PC I never heard Dick Strong's name mentioned, only Bergrstrom. I cannot believe that Strong has his fingerprints on this hire or has he headed to Bloomington with TC?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 08:32:58 AM »
I'm convinced Crean has been wanting out of here for years. Just had to find the right sucker institution to give him more money. Should be nominated for an Oscar. He's as good as any Hollywood actor.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 08:33:21 AM »
you were at Providence College?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 09:11:50 AM »
Press Conference
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 09:18:42 AM »
How dare you people question the manner in which Crean left this University! Don't you know that we averaged 7200 fans/game before he came and only -12.5 people showed up to greet him at a summer get together!

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 09:20:47 AM »
Warrior---Apologies. On my knees bowing to the King. I miss him already. NOT!!!!

Anybody hear TC took some heat from donors after Stanford game?

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 09:21:14 AM »
That is true, the word is Marquette's biggest Booster, I'm sure you can figure it out, was riding him pretty hard after the Georgetown and Stanford game.  Got p*ssed off and called IU.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 09:22:26 AM »
How dare you people question the manner in which Crean left this University! Don't you know that we averaged 7200 fans/game before he came and only -12.5 people showed up to greet him at a summer get together!

I was the 0.5
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 09:28:36 AM »
ESO---Thanks for confirming what I believed to be true. While not a fan of the biggest booster, he showed some balls if he bashed him. He knows more about ball than I thought, which was zero up to this point.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 10:11:42 AM »
biggest booster....are we naming names or is this a secret?

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »
That is true, the word is Marquette's biggest Booster, I'm sure you can figure it out, was riding him pretty hard after the Georgetown and Stanford game.  Got p*ssed off and called IU.

I thought Freeway was the biggest booster??
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

pittisit98

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 11:38:49 AM »
It's funny how this is starting to mirror the Rich Rodriguez saga at WVU.  After he used "Bama to get a new contract last year, he was appalled that they were actually going to hold him accountable.  He was called in and "spoken to" after losing to South Florida, and again after the meltdown vs PITT.  Feeling like he'd lost his bargaining position, he went and contacted Michigan, got an offer, went back to WVU with his list of demands.  However, he didn't count on the Administration calling his bluff and sending him off to Michigan (WITH a $4mill buyout in his newly signed contract)

I guess that accountability is a lot more expensive these days...god forbid anyone would want to hold anyone accountable

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
Crean not only initiated contact he lied about it and then he lied about the timing of the hire, negotiations, etc.  It is the fact that he was and is so willing to lie to further his reputation that causes me the biggest displeasure with his actions.  Want to go to IU, enjoy.  Don't go out like a complete utter dirt bag telling some BS stories that are not true. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »
Crean not only initiated contact he lied about it and then he lied about the timing of the hire, negotiations, etc.  It is the fact that he was and is so willing to lie to further his reputation that causes me the biggest displeasure with his actions.  Want to go to IU, enjoy.  Don't go out like a complete utter dirt bag telling some BS stories that are not true. 

+1

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 11:59:56 AM »
Who cares. Last I checked, a person is free to seek a better life for himself/herself and their family. You know, that whole "pursuit of happiness" bit.

The whining continues.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 12:01:29 PM »
It's not about the pursuit of happiness.  It's about being honest about how it went down.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 12:04:09 PM »
It's not about the pursuit of happiness.  It's about being honest about how it went down.

Bull. Why do you care who contacted who first? What does it matter? Will it make him any less gone?

To borrow from a phrase elsewhere, all this complaining is tantamout to "I'm not mad my girlfriend dumped me. I never liked her anyway. I just don't like the way she did it."

pittisit98

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »
YANNO....

I'm readin this and thinkin to myself.

Isn't it IRONIC how 2 BIG EAST coaches (rodriguez and crean) thought so highly of themselves that they bolted for the SAME CONFERENCE, under similar clouds of intrigue, and both have left their fanbase irate over the way they handled their exits.

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 12:11:25 PM »
I've said I have no problem with Crean going to Indiana.  I also think that the players finding out about it by ESPN is not 100% his fault.  My problem with Crean is different.  When a person (coach or otherwise) is so willing to say anything to help his stature/reputation, I have to question and wonder what other lies have they told.  If Buzz gets an offer to coach Texas and leaves I will wish him and his family good luck.  If he leaves telling some BS story and lies to make himself and his public perception better than it truly is, then I will care and I will take issue.  

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »
I think this does make a difference in the long haul. It would be great if JS reported on this subject. It shows the character of the former coach and can be used against him in recruiting.

I am not one of those guys wishing TC well. I believe the prick was dishonest and hurt the school.

I just heard that TC contacted IU  before the NCAA and put his hat in the ring. Better yourself and your family? No problem with that. Get burned if you are exposed, it is your fault.