[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: COACH Buzz Interview Video  (Read 11154 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
COACH Buzz Interview Video
« on: April 06, 2008, 09:22:33 PM »
They are gonna have some Buzz clips on tomorrow's TC show .. this is an old one, right before the Pitt game.

<a href="http://www.viddler.com/player/a32f44a1/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.viddler.com/player/a32f44a1/</a>
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 09:18:16 PM by mu_hilltopper »

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: Buzz Interview Video
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:32:04 PM »
Thank you for posting this. It's not much, but there's no doubt he seems like a likable sonovagun!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 09:35:42 PM »
Crean - "There's no doubt it's only a matter of time before he will run a high high major program"

Hummm maybe that was a hint months ago.

Also what time is the TC show on tomorrow?  Should be interesting!

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
Obviously the same questions still persist, but the guy seems to be humble and a decent guy [based on a 5 minute interview].

I don't know if I'm just trying to convince myself, but I'm getting more comfortable with him as the choice.  I certainly do not want McKillup.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:36:44 PM »
Thanks for posting this up.  First time I have ever  heard him speak, and I loved one thing about it: recruiting was # 1 in his mind - the players walk the walk.  So good focus.  he does seem like a good guy.  But can he coach?!

If he gets it I want him to shine.....I'm glad I'm not on the BOT - this is going to be a tough (and BIG) call.

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 02:30:15 AM »
I was already leaning his way but after watching this, I'll have to admit I've come around on Buzz.  I think he should be our next coach

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 06:47:59 AM »
geez... I don't know.

he sidestepped the whole UNO thing---
'it was a tough situation for all of us' doesn't say much about why a guy would leave as HC of a D1 hoops team.

also- 1 year ago:
didn't know about Marquette
didn't now about the players
(ok fine on those two, but..)
didn't know anything about the Big East---
that worries me.

add that to the HC question-
his ability to lead a program-
and if MU is just too high an apple for him at this point...

I DO have my continued doubts, even with the affable Sheriff Andy Taylor persona.

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Williams' initial thoughts
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »
Williams' initial thoughts

Written by: Todd Rosiak

Just got off the phone with Buzz Williams. Here's the transcript of the quickie interview I was able to conduct:

What are your initial reactions to being hired? Humbled. Exhilarated. Grateful. Excited. Ready to work.

What was the interview process like? As it related specifically to me, it was every factor and facet of the program as it relates to where it fits within the institution, and all of the decisionmakers involved within the program and within the institution...it was an intense period of time where they were getting to know me and my family and my vision for what Marquette is going to be on and off the floor, and trying to determine if that fit what they were looking for.

What's first on your agenda, now that you've been named coach? The first thing is I've been with the players from 15 minutes after I took the job until five minutes before we called you. The most important thing to our program is our players, and I'm grateful for the opportunity that I've been given. But this program is not about Buzz Williams; this program is about our players, our players as young men, our players as students -- to make sure that they all graduate from Marquette -- and our players as players. But the totality of our program on and off the floor will always be in existence because of our players. 

Have you been in contact tonight with any of the signed recruits? I was going to call them until I got on the phone with you, and I'm going to call them now.

I'm sure you've seen some of the comments from some of them over the past few days. Are you holding out hope you'll be able to convince at least some of them to remain committed to MU? Sure. Again, I think any time change happens in any profession, in any person's life, there's always a period of time where everyone's stunned and wondering what's going to happen next. Obviously I had to take care of the guys on our team, and that's what we've been doing since...I don't even know what time it is. But the next thing is I've got to get on the phone with the recruits.

Have you taken any steps toward assembling a staff at this point? We're going to hire the absolute best staff we can, with their No. 1 talent being to take care of and help our players grow as young men, and help them succeed academically and athletically.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/04/07/williams-initial-thoughts.aspx

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Williams' initial thoughts
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 11:47:53 PM »
But this program is not about Buzz Williams...

Whenever third person is used, that usually isn't a good sign!

BTW, where's the obvious question, Rosiak...Do you think Crean is going to give you a congratulatory phone call?  ;)
SS Marquette

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 11:55:46 PM »
this program is not about Buzz Williams

That did jump out at me too.  Thanks for clarifying that Buzz.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 12:23:38 AM »
Not much of an interview, but I guess that's to be expected since he hasn't even had his introductory press conference.

I wonder, since he has only been around Marquette for less than a year (come on board last July), if he realizes how tough the old timers are going to be to win over, and how his hiring is going to be seen as a bad hire by many who were expecting a bigger name?

superfan1387

Re: COACH Buzz Interview Video
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 12:28:10 AM »
from watching this video, he doesnt seem to have the arrogant vibe that crean always had. i really liked his responses and his sense of humor. i really want to like him, so i hope this all works out and we are the ones celebrating at the final four next year

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 12:38:44 AM »
But this program is not about Buzz Williams...

Whenever third person is used, that usually isn't a good sign!

BTW, where's the obvious question, Rosiak...Do you think Crean is going to give you a congratulatory phone call?  ;)

I like the repetitive use of "players" best.  I wonder if he will say that the crowd was incredible after every home game like his predecessor.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 02:02:16 AM »
I hope he has a little more personality than what comes across in the interview. If not, there are going to be a lot boring press conferences ahead.

Captain Suizo

• Walk-On
  • ...singing MU rah! rah!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 09:24:10 AM »
The personality change will be kind off nice as TC was always a bit of an a**.  Hopefully the extra time as an assistant can help him in his new HC role.

Well the bars closed, who wants to get a burrito at Jalisco's