[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Remember the good ol' days . . .  (Read 2156 times)

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
Remember the good ol' days . . .
« on: April 08, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »
. . . one week ago when:
Crean said in an interview that there would be no turnover in the staff this off-season?
When we had a top rated recruiting class coming in?
When it seemed stability and continuity were finally here to stay?
When the reputation of our coach gave us a legitimate shot at several top tier recruits from both inside and outside the state?
When the MU "powers-that-be" had finally figured out all the pieces required to take the program back up again and gotten them right?
When MU had finally reached the point where it was no longer a feeder program for assistant coaches who needed a few years to cut their teeth before moving on to a real basketball school?
When MU was finally in position to steal a quality coach away from someone, instead of having one stollen from it?

Those were wonderful, fantasy filled days. Crean actually made me a believer for a while. All that talk of the impressions Al and MU made on him as a child and how there was no place else he would rather be as a coach. He really was good.

(Sigh) Well, back to reality.

Welcome aboard Buzz. Good luck in building a nice coaching reputation and career for yourself. Hope you do well so in 5 or 6 years you will be ready to move on to that "Because it's Indiana!" job opening and break all our hearts just like TC. And if you don't do well? Well, don't worry. You'll have a few more coins in your pocket, MU will be back looking for another prodigy assistant coach and we'll just start the rebuilding process all over again. We'll survive. We're used to it.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:19:17 AM by Ruby »

77fan88warrior

• All American
Re: Remember the good ol' days . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:16:49 AM »
Get over it!

Life moves on and you are still whining. Change happens and it provides opportunity many times. I guess you should have never left your mommy's womb.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:45:10 AM »
Don't wanna get over it!  And you can't make me!!!!!!!!!!

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:48:45 AM »
There is no whining about it.  Its about thinking a program that was committed to winning and not solely making money.  Saving a coin to take a shot with an assistant.  I really hope MU's AD sees something that I don't see, but its like they were rushing the decision with the added bonus of saving money.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 02:11:36 AM »
I'm all for supporting Buzz. The reality is he is now our coach and there is nothing to do but support him. But I'll accept that tomorrow and move on.

Today, however, I am mourning what was and is now gone. Maybe we are a 2nd tier program that thinks too highly of itself. I don't believe that. MU has done a lot of thing right the last 9 years and shown that it is serious about doing what it takes to be a top program. However, it is a major setback when one of the main people building and supporting that image basically smashes it via his actions. It just makes it that much harder to continue to believe and get others to believe it. Crean was all about getting MU to believe in itself again. Then he goes out and dumps us for a prittier girl and implies we were ugly all along. It's not whining. Something bad happened. Today I feel bad. Tomorrow I'll say screw you and move on.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:22:49 AM by Ruby »

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:06:36 AM »
In an ideal world we want to get a big fish to take over. It obviously didn't happen and hopefully we find out more about this today. There are many good programs that have promoted assistants from within their programs or hired someone elses. Some workout and some suck.
The coaches talents are much more important than his previous title. I don't think many of us know much about Buzz but I am hopeful due to his alleged recruiting prowess. I was personally excited about MU's hiring of Crean due to his recruiting reputation at MSU. I think stability and recruiting was picked over hiring a guy who just made a run in the NCAA tourney.
By the way, these atre the good old days compared to the Dukiet years.

feedback