Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Get a grip!  (Read 6110 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Get a grip!
« on: April 02, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »
I'm waiting for one of you tongue bathers to step forward and admit I've been right all along. Crean never gave a rat's ass about Marquette. He cared only for himself. He continually held Marquette hostage for more money, jobs for his relatives, hyperbolic chambers, Humvees for coaches who hated his guts and produced what? This tremendous "era" he's led us to has not had us into the second weekend of the NCAA in 5 years! What are we losing? A guy who's plugged away and finished 6th in the Big East with all five starters returning? A guy who was almost literally given the keys to Marquette Hall and returned with a 6'4" power forward guarding guys five inches taller? A starting center who didn't play high school basketball? A revolving door of assistant coaches?

You "poor us" guys sound like the biggest bunch of losers I've ever heard of! You get dumped by an absolute horse's ass like Tom Crean and you think we won't get ourselves a coach?

Were you really happy that a guy like that was our university's most high profile person? Really? You want people to think of Tom Crean when they think of Marquette?

I sure as hell do not and whoever we get in here will be an upgrade!!

Leave the keys to the Hummer with the athletic office, coach. And take the sun lamp when you leave.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:50:17 AM by PuertoRicanNightmare »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Get a grip!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
I'm waiting for one of you tongue bathers to step forward and admit I've been right all along. Crean never gave a rat's ass about Marquette. He cared only for himself. He continually held Marquette hostage for more money, jobs for his relatives, hyperbolic chambers, Humvees for coaches who hated his guts and produced what? This tremendous "era" he's led us to has not had us into the second weekend of the NCAA in 5 years! What are we losing? A guy who's plugged away and finished 6th in the Big East with all five starters returning? A guy who was almost literally given the keys to Marquette Hall and returned with a 6'4" power forward guarding guys five inches taller? A starting center who didn't play high school basketball? A revolving door of assistant coaches?

You "poor us" guys sound like the biggest bunch of losers I've ever heard of! You get dumped by an absolute horse's ass like Tom Crean and you think we won't get ourselves a coach?

Were you really happy that a guy like that was our university's most high profile person? Really? You want people to think of Tom Crean when they think of Marquette?

I sure as hell do not and whoever we get in here will be an upgrade!!

Leave the keys to the Hummer with the athletic office, coach. And take sun lamp when you leave.

I'll get a grip when a coach of equal or better weight comes in....as you implied so often would be a walk in the park.  I had to work for this guy, I know what a tool he can be.  That being said, that doesn't change the fact I don't think we'll get someone as good, whether he was a prick or not.  And that, my friend is what has so many MU fans concerned.

So if we're going to step forward and admit how "right you were" then you're going to have to come through with the goods and prove how right you were and that will show up when MU signs a coach of equal or GREATER ability/value to MU.........we'll see if you are right.  Based on the hires of the last 25 years, I doubt it.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:52:10 AM »
You know what, I kind of agree with this post, for once.  After all the pessimism, including my own, the "snap out of it" mentality featured here is appealing.  Let's see who the new guy will be.

Although re: the "hyperbolic" chamber (I couldn't resist):
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30990

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:07:09 AM »
I for one think that PRN and 4ever have always been over the top in their negativity and criticism towards Crean and what he's done for reviving the program.  Perhaps they did that because they were trying to counteract the other side's gushing love/ blind support for the man.  I'll admit to have always been in the latter group.  Seems like the right place to be is somewhere in the middle. 

Seeing the news over the last twelve hours really makes me question how sincere Crean was in his love for MU and its tradition.  I for one feel duped and am starting to think that maybe PRN and 4ever were on to something.  That said, one thing we can all agree on is that no coach is bigger than the MU program.  Let's all unite around our players and recruits and show them why they need to be at MU. 

Remember guys... WE ARE MARQUETTE!!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:16:33 AM »
I agree with PRN . . this is a great opportunity to hire a very good coach who will actually coach.  Can someone else confirm the hummer story . . thats awful.  I think its funny that only Chicos comes to creans defense.  Has TC paid you off chicos, why do you do it, and are your expectations that low?  Thankfully he's gone and I won't have to listen to all of his marketing BS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 10:19:25 AM »
Re: the Hummer issue... they were given leases by John Bergstrom. I doubt they're paying much of anything for those. Not a scandal at all.

But Crean is still an ass. Carry on.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »
I agree with PRN . . this is a great opportunity to hire a very good coach who will actually coach.  Can someone else confirm the hummer story . . thats awful.  I think its funny that only Chicos comes to creans defense.  Has TC paid you off chicos, why do you do it, and are your expectations that low?  Thankfully he's gone and I won't have to listen to all of his marketing BS.

I'll come to Crean's defense.
He's done nothing wrong. He took a better-paying job at what, at least in his mind, was a place that would better afford him the opportunity to accomplish his ultimate goals. This makes him evil how? Have none of you ever made a job change because it was in your best interests to do so?

I suspect every single one of us would do the same, regardless of our chosen profession. I've been with my current company for 10 years. I've worked my tail off for them. I've been loyal to them. When asked, I've always spoken highly of them.

But if what I believe is a bigger, better competitor comes along tomorrow and offers me something like a 35 percent pay hike, I'm outta here. It doesn't make me disloyal, it makes me normal.
Every one of you would do the same, and it wouldn't make you a bad person for doing it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:31:52 AM by Pakuni »

mviale

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »
You were right PRN - feel better?  The question is whether MU can find something better than the guy you loathed.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
Paid me off....now that's funny.  Nope.  I said if MU is able to hire someone of equal ability then it's great...let's go.

If it's Miller, Bennett or maybe 4 or 5 others, then I'm right there with you.  If it's a Deane, O'Neill, type hire then I'll be asking you guys for a refund.

What I'm hoping for is a day in the next two weeks where I can say..."I can live with that"...or "sweet".   I'm equally concerned that I'll be saying "the @#$# GOLD???  Gold??"

Now, with the people getting all upset about what Crean is saying at IU, what the F do you think he's going to say.  Come on.  O'Neill had his Tennessee sweatshirt on in the bus while still at MU coach for Christ sake.  That's the nature of the business and people need to wake up to that.  When someone showers you with $23 million dollars you have to say lots and lots of nice things about them, that's how it works.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »
You were right PRN - feel better?  The question is whether MU can find something better than the guy you loathed.

Of course....it's easy....I'll bet we have 20 or 30 lined up.   ;)

MUinOH

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
I suspect every single one of us would do the same, regardless of our chosen profession. I've been with my current company for 10 years. I've worked my tail off for them. I've been loyal to them. When asked, I've always spoken highly of them.

But if what I believe is a bigger, better competitor comes along tomorrow and offers me something like a 35 percent pay hike, I'm outta here. It doesn't make me disloyal, it makes me normal.
Every one of you would do the same, and it wouldn't make you a bad person for doing it.

Very analytical, but not very comparable.  I don't know about you, but people don't buy tickets to watch me at work.  They aren't emotionally invested in every single one of my successes or failures.  If I had fans like MU fans, I would feel like I owed them a little better than what Crean is doing.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 10:57:28 AM »
Many on this thread, and many others on this message board over the past 18 hours, seem to not have even an elementary understanding of contract law, economics or college basketball.

The guy made our program good in a way that it hasn't been since the 1970s. He took us to the Final Four. He filled the Bradley Center better than the Bucks. He left a year of decent players behind him. And -- lest we forget -- he beat Notre Dame.

Be pissed at whomever for the stupid name change, be pissed at whoever designed our hideous uniforms, be pissed at Kevin O'Neill and Mike Deane for still being gainfully employed anywhere (oops, not O'Neill, anymore as of Olson's pronouncement on Tuesday). But don't be pissed at the coach that took us from a bubble team out of C-USA to a perennial top 25 program in the Big East, the nation's biggest and arguably best conference.

Asking a college basketball coach at a Catholic school if he wants a job at Indiana is a lot like asking an airline pilot at Southwest if he wants to work for NASA. Or, asking Dominic James if he wants to ride the bench for the Clippers. It's a no brainer.

If you have time to be offended by Tom Crean taking a promotion in the face of his overhyped contract, get over it.

tonyreeder

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 11:03:18 AM »

Tom Crean's gone-let's just fold the freaking tents and become Division II. Is that your new mantra Chicos?  You've been defending Crean for 9 years.   Where are all the chumps out there who would always post "Crean isn't going anywhere" and then have a cute little winking icon.  That phony piece of crap used us and the thing that surprises me more than anything is that he didn't leave earlier.  Indiana will find out soon enough the guy's more style than substance.  Don't blame PRN and the other guys who saw through Crean.  Blame  Crean.  He basically ran the athletic department the past two years and now left us with an AD who's ability to hire a coach is certainly a big question mark.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 11:09:46 AM »

Hopefully we move faster than the AD search   :(

MUinOH

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 11:12:07 AM »
Tom Crean's gone-let's just fold the freaking tents and become Division II. Is that your new mantra Chicos?  You've been defending Crean for 9 years.  

Actually, he was still defending Deane for the first year or so.  Give him about that long to latch on to the new coach, no matter how good or bad he is.  ;)  

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »
23 Million dollars?  For 8 years?  IU is going to pay him almost 3 million per year?  Sounds like he would be the single highest paid college BB coach in America.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 11:16:01 AM »

Tom Crean's gone-let's just fold the freaking tents and become Division II. Is that your new mantra Chicos?  You've been defending Crean for 9 years.   Where are all the chumps out there who would always post "Crean isn't going anywhere" and then have a cute little winking icon.  That phony piece of crap used us and the thing that surprises me more than anything is that he didn't leave earlier.  Indiana will find out soon enough the guy's more style than substance.  Don't blame PRN and the other guys who saw through Crean.  Blame  Crean.  He basically ran the athletic department the past two years and now left us with an AD who's ability to hire a coach is certainly a big question mark.

How dare Tom Crean leave Marquette for a higher-paying gig at a more prestigious program where there are greater opportunities to land top recruits and play for championships.
What kind of monster would even think of such a thing?

I'm sure your employers and customers are comforted knowing you would never, ever leave for a better job.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 11:16:28 AM »
You guys are missing the point... nobody is pissed at Crean for taking the IU job.  Good move by him and IU.  Congrats to both of them.  The thing that everybody is pissed about is how he left MU.  There is something to be said about handling a departure from a school or company with class & dignity.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »
Chicos spews the party line all the time every time regardless of the changing circumstances.  If he were a politican he would be a political hack.  Chicos this sums up your thinking: "He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will."

I'm glad that tan tommy is gone I just can't believe he did it in such piss poor manner!! 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 11:20:58 AM »
You guys are missing the point... nobody is pissed at Crean for taking the IU job.  Good move by him and IU.  Congrats to both of them.  The thing that everybody is pissed about is how he left MU.  There is something to be said about handling a departure from a school or company with class & dignity.

First, for a certain element around there, there was no way Crean could have left without getting bashed. What's ironic, though, is that some of the most ardent bashers are the ones who most wanted him gone.

That said, I would like someone to explain to me what more he could have done to make this more "dignified"? Give me some tangible examples of things he could have or should have done. As I see it, it was going to be unpleasant and feelings were going to get hurt no matter how he handled it. But nothing I'm aware of in how it was handled made things unnecessarily worse.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 11:30:45 AM »

Tom Crean's gone-let's just fold the freaking tents and become Division II. Is that your new mantra Chicos?  You've been defending Crean for 9 years.   Where are all the chumps out there who would always post "Crean isn't going anywhere" and then have a cute little winking icon.  That phony piece of crap used us and the thing that surprises me more than anything is that he didn't leave earlier.  Indiana will find out soon enough the guy's more style than substance.  Don't blame PRN and the other guys who saw through Crean.  Blame  Crean.  He basically ran the athletic department the past two years and now left us with an AD who's ability to hire a coach is certainly a big question mark.

A couple of things for you Reeder.

1) If Crean ran the athletic department as much as you imply, Broecker would be the AD, not Cottingham

2) Nice hyperbole about going to DII.  No, I think we'll hire a good coach just not one that will do everything this one did. 

You guys might be totally right, but you're trying to have it both ways which is so damn funny reading your stuff.  On one hand, Crean was a bad coach, bad person, bad recruiter and yet he left us in a bad position?  I would think we would be thrilled to get rid of a bad coach, bad person, bad recruiter....and perhaps we will be, if we get the right next guy.

My guess is ultimately some of the hatred you guys have for Crean (and trust me, I'm in a big Crean hating mood today like the rest of you) is overstating the reality of what he did at MU.  For those of you who think he will be gone within 5 years at IU...really?  Please email me as I want to place a bet with each of you.  For those of you who don't think he will succeed at IU...really....same bet applies.  The guy got MU to succeed yearly in a tougher conference in a tougher place to recruit.  Crean will do very will at IU, doesn't make him any less of a prick but he'll do very well.  A big part of me hopes he crashes and burns, but I don't think that's realistic at all.  He'll do very well.

Those players that are devestated on our team right now, the ones that played for him 24/7 and would know him better then any of us.  They don't seem to happy to see him go now do they, much against many of the stories told by many of the same posters here that they hated the guy.  Oh the irony.

As I wrote yesterday, it's time for MU to sack up and make a major hire.  This will show me how committed Marquette really is.  It's all on the plate for them to do Reeder, you just have a lot more confidence in this administration then I do.  Perhaps because you never worked for this administration.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 11:35:20 AM »
Chicos spews the party line all the time every time regardless of the changing circumstances.  If he were a politican he would be a political hack.  Chicos this sums up your thinking: "He believes the same thing Wednesday that he believed on Monday, no matter what happened Tuesday. Events can change; this man's beliefs never will."

I'm glad that tan tommy is gone I just can't believe he did it in such piss poor manner!! 

Yeah, the party line....I just hated winning for the last 9 years and couldn't help myself....what can I say.  I wish it was back to the old days from 1987 to 1999.   ::)   The good news is that the old guard will come save MU as they have so many other times.  Hopefully Cottingham is smart enough to ignore those morons and he makes a good hire, let's hope.

Crean is gone, time to move.  Not sure how that is the party line, that's reality.  Now go out and hire a good coach.  Sack up with a pair and don't settle.  MU has a lot to sell for itself...go do it.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 11:36:11 AM »
Chicos -- I think Crean did a decent, not great, job at MU. But he is probably the most over-hyped and overpaid coach in the country and absolutely the most overrated recruiter.

I did not like him one iota and I'm glad he's gone because I don't like having a guy coach Marquette that I can't stand and who makes the entire program about himself.

Is that fair enough?

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »

First, for a certain element around there, there was no way Crean could have left without getting bashed. What's ironic, though, is that some of the most ardent bashers are the ones who most wanted him gone.

That said, I would like someone to explain to me what more he could have done to make this more "dignified"? Give me some tangible examples of things he could have or should have done. As I see it, it was going to be unpleasant and feelings were going to get hurt no matter how he handled it. But nothing I'm aware of in how it was handled made things unnecessarily worse.

1) Made sure all of the players were aware he was leaving before it leaked and they found out from ESPN or Rosiak.
2) Made sure the AD & President knew he was leaving (according to IWB, they were ambushed by the news)
3) Delayed the announcement by a day so that he could get his affairs in order at MU before he left.
4) Had someone from the athletic department contact the recruits to let them know he was leaving
5) He should have gone to Humphrey Hall to tell the players and not summon them to his house.

do you need more?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
Chicos -- I think Crean did a decent, not great, job at MU. But he is probably the most over-hyped and overpaid coach in the country and absolutely the most overrated recruiter.

I did not like him one iota and I'm glad he's gone because I don't like having a guy coach Marquette that I can't stand and who makes the entire program about himself.

Is that fair enough?

That is fair enough PRN.....if it means the guy you "like" does a better job recruiting, winning, etc.  If he doesn't, well then no, it's not only not fair enough but it's not good enough.   

I'm not a fan of MU basketball because I like the coach....I don't like Tom Crean, never have.  Now, I certainly defended him for many many many reasons....why, because he won, he didn't cheat, his guys graduated and he was competitive on a national stage.  He got MU on a national stage and I was willing to trade off his dickness for that.  In a heartbeat.

I'd much rather be talked about in national circles about MU hoops with a dick coach then not be talked about but have the hometown crowd half the size say "our coach is nice and cool".  That is the reality, most of the really good coaches are dicks and it's about them.  I don't know why this is hard to understand for so many. 

Is that fair...do you see where I'm coming from?   Fine, hire a "great guy" that everyone likes, but if he isn't doing everything that the dick was doing good, what have we accomplished?

Is that fair enough?

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 11:46:30 AM »
Chicos, I agree time to move on. Crean ain't coming back.  The Crean era is history.  I am a bit worried that the new AD/Adminstration will make a bad choice for the next coach and settle for someone second rate.  However, this is a brilliant opportunity to upgrade and get a rising coaching star who can take us to the next level.  The choice is clearly Cottingham's and Wild's. I hope they don't botch it

I think the program is in another universe compared to 9 years ago when Crean is hired.  We can reach for the best talent available now and not settle for an uproven assistant.  I hope the people leading the search go for it!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 11:47:14 AM »

1) Made sure all of the players were aware he was leaving before it leaked and they found out from ESPN or Rosiak.

Difficult to do before he signs a contract. If the deal falls through or he changes his mind at the last minute, how do you go back and coach a team after telling them you're outta there. I know it's been done, but it's hardly ideal. Can't blame Crean for people at IU leaking this before the deal was even official.

2) Made sure the AD & President knew he was leaving (according to IWB, they were ambushed by the news)

Troublesome, if true. But I don't think people are running around calling the guy scum, etc., because he failed to keep his AD up to speed on a possible job change.

3) Delayed the announcement by a day so that he could get his affairs in order at MU before he left.

What affairs?
And given that this was leaked well before the deal was final, what would be the point? What benefit is there for anybody to have Crean roaming the Al for a day as an employee of Indiana University?

4) Had someone from the athletic department contact the recruits to let them know he was leaving

Not his job. That's the AD's/assistant coaches' job. And, once again, why would he do this before the deal was final?

5) He should have gone to Humphrey Hall to tell the players and not summon them to his house.

Why? What difference does it make? Personally, I think there's something to be said for him inviting the players into his home where they could deal with this privately rather than piling them into a dorm study room with dozens of their fellow students standing outside listening in/waiting for a chance to quiz them on it. IMO, doing this in private was much more dignified than in a dormitory.

do you need more?

Yeah, because other than possibly number two, I'm not convinced your other suggestions would have lended themselves to more "dignity."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »
Chicos, I agree time to move on. Crean ain't coming back.  The Crean era is history.  I am a bit worried that the new AD/Adminstration will make a bad choice for the next coach and settle for someone second rate.  However, this is a brilliant opportunity to upgrade and get a rising coaching star who can take us to the next level.  The choice is clearly Cottingham's and Wild's. I hope they don't botch it

I think the program is in another universe compared to 9 years ago when Crean is hired.  We can reach for the best talent available now and not settle for an uproven assistant.  I hope the people leading the search go for it!

Tremendous opportunity, no doubt.  Let's hope we're all pleased as punch in a few days or weeks.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 12:05:38 PM »

Difficult to do before he signs a contract. If the deal falls through or he changes his mind at the last minute, how do you go back and coach a team after telling them you're outta there. I know it's been done, but it's hardly ideal. Can't blame Crean for people at IU leaking this before the deal was even official.

Troublesome, if true. But I don't think people are running around calling the guy scum, etc., because he failed to keep his AD up to speed on a possible job change.

What affairs?
And given that this was leaked well before the deal was final, what would be the point? What benefit is there for anybody to have Crean roaming the Al for a day as an employee of Indiana University?

Not his job. That's the AD's/assistant coaches' job. And, once again, why would he do this before the deal was final?

Why? What difference does it make? Personally, I think there's something to be said for him inviting the players into his home where they could deal with this privately rather than piling them into a dorm study room with dozens of their fellow students standing outside listening in/waiting for a chance to quiz them on it. IMO, doing this in private was much more dignified than in a dormitory.

do you need more?

Yeah, because other than possibly number two, I'm not convinced your other suggestions would have lended themselves to more "dignity."

You asked for examples on how the situation could have been handled better and I gave you five.  Whether you think they were plausible or not is of no consequence to me.  He obviously could have handled this better and that starts with him immediately notifying the administration and athletic director that he was leaving.  He signed a letter of intent for IU... he was safe.  Let's stop making excuses for the man and let him speak up for himself.

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 12:34:51 PM »

Actually I am pissed he took the IU job.  Now don't get me wrong:
1.  I fully understand the reasons he left
2.  I don't blame him for taking the job
3.  I'm not even upset with the way he left.  There is no good way to leave.  Either exiting gracefully or going cold turkey, he's still cutting strings.
4.  Despite all that I'm pissed and I'm not going to get over it.  Even if we go out and hire someone better.  Yes it is silly, but it's the way it is.  I'm sure TC can get by with me being pissed he left even though I realize the program is in a better situation than when he arrived.

I grew up a Kansas fan.  I'm still pissed Roy Williams left for UNc.  Self is a great coach and was a good hire.  It didn't change me getting over everything.  I still hate Roy Williams.  I consider this now the same with TC.  I hope Marquette kills IU just like I hope Kansas destroys UNC this weekend.  It's part of being a fan.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:36:46 PM by ZiggysChestHair »

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 12:37:01 PM »
Is this "dignified"?

"A source close to Marquette's athletic department said Wednesday that Crean kept the job offer close to the vest, to the point where Father Robert Wild, the school's president, and Steve Cottingham, the school's new athletic director, were not immediately aware that Crean was ready to go to Indiana."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/

augoman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
Actually, when MU was letting Crean write his own contract; 10 year extension, easy-out clause, mini buy-out, outrageous pay..., they should have expected he would grab the first 'real' (no phoney Kentucky/Florida deal) offer he got that paid as well.  As part of the gig, I wonder if IU will create a phoney job for his father-in-law.

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 12:47:58 PM »
pakuni is right -- all the negibabies here are the ones that need to get a grip. 

the guy stayed for 9 YEARS he built the profile of the program back to national recognition...  he helped get us into the big east (more kudos to bill cords here).  he recruited wade and took the team to the final four, he sent three players to the nba...

yeah, he had deficiencies, but he was a good coach - and we were lucky to have him.

he turned the men's basketball team into a PROGRAM again.

i'm sorry to see him go, but i understand it. 

i'm disgusted with the recriminations based solely on his exit.

grow. up.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »
pakuni is right -- all the negibabies here are the ones that need to get a grip. 

the guy stayed for 9 YEARS he built the profile of the program back to national recognition...  he helped get us into the big east (more kudos to bill cords here).  he recruited wade and took the team to the final four, he sent three players to the nba...

yeah, he had deficiencies, but he was a good coach - and we were lucky to have him.

he turned the men's basketball team into a PROGRAM again.

i'm sorry to see him go, but i understand it. 

i'm disgusted with the recriminations based solely on his exit.

grow. up.

you're obviously not keeping up... not many people are blaming him for taking the IU job.  I for one said many times it's a great move for him and IU.  The thing everybody is pissed aobut is how he handled his departure.  As more and more info is coming out about it, he's really looking like a douche bag.  This is coming from the biggest Crean supporter!  No doubt he tend tremendous things for MU and IMO, resurrected the MU program.  That said, how about finishing it with a classy exit?

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
i'm keeping up.  this thread started with the statement "he never gave a rat's ass about marquette."  i call bs.

i'm also reacting to several other threads that have referred to crean as a liar, traitor, etc. etc. etc.  there's a lot of them.

messy exit?  sure. name one exit in almost any sport at this level or above that hasn't been "messy" (and you can't use examples of retirement by legendary coaches as examples).

look, one could make the case that any coach can expect recriminations upon his exit, so why not just make a clean, quick, (with the emphasis on quick) break? 

anyway, my reply was probably a reaction to a boardfull of threads and not just this one - this one's opening post just pushed it over the edge.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 01:23:48 PM »
i'm keeping up.  this thread started with the statement "he never gave a rat's ass about marquette."  i call bs.

i'm also reacting to several other threads that have referred to crean as a liar, traitor, etc. etc. etc.  there's a lot of them.

messy exit?  sure. name one exit in almost any sport at this level or above that hasn't been "messy" (and you can't use examples of retirement by legendary coaches as examples).

look, one could make the case that any coach can expect recriminations upon his exit, so why not just make a clean, quick, (with the emphasis on quick) break? 

anyway, my reply was probably a reaction to a boardfull of threads and not just this one - this one's opening post just pushed it over the edge.

+1

By all accounts that I've read, this was a tough decision for him.  My guess is that's why he took the non-confrontational approach and snuck out into the night.  He had a great thing going with MU with people solidly in his corner, easier to leave when you don't have to confront them.  He gave us 9 very good years, despite what some of the posters here say...they were 9 good years.  But he's gone now...bye bye, time to sack up and hire a great coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 01:34:16 PM »
Is this "dignified"?

"A source close to Marquette's athletic department said Wednesday that Crean kept the job offer close to the vest, to the point where Father Robert Wild, the school's president, and Steve Cottingham, the school's new athletic director, were not immediately aware that Crean was ready to go to Indiana."

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/

It's neither dignified nor undignified. He told them when he made his decision. What's undignified about that? I don't buy the notion that every employee owes his/her bosses notification when contemplating a career move.

Undignified would be how Thad Matta, Nick Saban, Dennis Franchione, etc. handled their departures.

MUinOH

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 01:53:48 PM »
Undignified would be how Thad Matta, Nick Saban, Dennis Franchione, etc. handled their departures.

Or he could've puked all over his car door and forgotten his ABC's like Huggins did.  Guess when you look at it that way, MU has been lucky!   :P

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 03:15:46 PM »
I have mixed emotions.  I am upset the coach left.  But in all honesty, I don't see Marquette in the conversation of a championship team with Crean at the helm.  HE COULDN'T recruit big guys.  I really don't think it was a Marquette thing.  I don't see how EVERY talented big man could look at Marquette and say, "I have no place there".  We have the guards, we just need the bigs.  With that said, I think Crean maxed this position and the "Wade" well dried up.

I do think Crean is dumb though.  1) I understand that Indiana is a dream job but in all honesty, I would have taken the Kentucky job.  2) He is entering a position that is going to be 4 years and out.  If they don't make it past the sweet sixteen in the next four years, he WILL be on the hot seat.  Marquette alums can be critical but IU is a storied program.  If you can't win, they will not flinch to cut you out.  3) With this said, he has no returning starters.  Its not impossible, but it will be difficult to begin with a running start.  4) He is entering a program that could possibly have sanctions on recruiting and such.  Another issue that could cause a hiccup.  With programs like, UK, IU, UNC, UCLA, there are no excuses for losing.

I think what some people are really forgetting is why coaches like Crean and others get paid so much.  Its basically because good coaches (not even great) are hard to come by.  Thats why all the worried alums are worried.  Its because good coaches are hard to come by AND Marquette is one bad decision away from becoming a no body.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 07:27:09 PM »
I have mixed emotions.  I am upset the coach left.  But in all honesty, I don't see Marquette in the conversation of a championship team with Crean at the helm.  HE COULDN'T recruit big guys.  I really don't think it was a Marquette thing.  I don't see how EVERY talented big man could look at Marquette and say, "I have no place there".  We have the guards, we just need the bigs.  With that said, I think Crean maxed this position and the "Wade" well dried up.

I do think Crean is dumb though.  1) I understand that Indiana is a dream job but in all honesty, I would have taken the Kentucky job.  2) He is entering a position that is going to be 4 years and out.  If they don't make it past the sweet sixteen in the next four years, he WILL be on the hot seat.  Marquette alums can be critical but IU is a storied program.  If you can't win, they will not flinch to cut you out.  3) With this said, he has no returning starters.  Its not impossible, but it will be difficult to begin with a running start.  4) He is entering a program that could possibly have sanctions on recruiting and such.  Another issue that could cause a hiccup.  With programs like, UK, IU, UNC, UCLA, there are no excuses for losing.

I think what some people are really forgetting is why coaches like Crean and others get paid so much.  Its basically because good coaches (not even great) are hard to come by.  Thats why all the worried alums are worried.  Its because good coaches are hard to come by AND Marquette is one bad decision away from becoming a no body.

In all honesty, do you really think he won't be able to recruit big guys to IU?  He'll have a ton of them....he gets a fresh start, too you know.  My guess is he'll have two or three bigs come through quickly and many people here will say "why the hell didn't he do that at MU"....and Crean would probably say "I tried".

A new fresh start will help him in recruiting and hopefully help MU as well. 

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 10:32:27 PM »

What I'm hoping for is a day in the next two weeks where I can say..."I can live with that"...or "sweet".   I'm equally concerned that I'll be saying "the @#$# GOLD???  Gold??"

I completely agree Chicos...Hopefully this is a blessing in disguise.  I just don't want to be sitting there all excited about the press conference for a  hire and then having to change my pants after crapping myself for a dumbass decision like the Gold debacle.

feedback